UK lunch time meet (Reading)

vee6

Hi, as there seems to be quite a few UK members here, I just wondered if there may be any other members in the Reading area that may be interested in meeting up, week day lunch time, I work near the centre of town, so I am sure we can find somewhere for a bite to eat/drink and a chat. I am happy to meet any gender or couples in public places, with or without your heels, so don't be shy. Vic Walker

Hi I would be happy to do that sometime. If it was Midweek then I'd need to be passing through that way on business, which doesn't happen too frequently, but I'm sure something could be sorted out. At the world heel meet recently I think it was Euchrid suggested we do something in Oxford, so that would be another possibility.

If I'm on an off-duty day during the week (or working a late shift), and I'm free, then I may be able to pop down for lunch. I was in Reading today funnily enough - late afternoon and evening though.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Yes! I'm not that far from Reading or Oxford, and keen to attend. I'm usually free weekdays during daytimes and some evenings. Just take the plunge and name a date, time and rendezvous or restaurant (preferably by editting these into your first posting at the TOP of this thread to grab everyone's attention) and is looks as though you'll get a nice little group! Good luck! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

The Reading shoe shops will be cowering in trepidation at the prospect of the arrival of Tara! It reminds me of that You Tube video about Kelly and the shoes, although Tara in buying mode would outdo Kelly. "These shoes are $300... lets get 'em!"

Hi, Yeah, Reading would be a possible for me for a weekend event. I won't be free for it for 6 weeks or so, though. If you can PM me as well, I'll see what I can do as i am already suffering withdrawal symptoms since the last HeelMeet! Oxford would also be good for me (if not better!).

Always High-Heel Responsibly

• 1 month later...

Wasssappppp!!!!!!????

So has a Reading meet-up happened yet?

If not, might I suggest a date, so we can check diaries and make arrangements:-

Saturday 5th May.

how does that grab you all?

I know this has moved away from Vee6's lunchtime meet-up suggestion.

I think it would have to be a whole-day thing for anyone not living/working in Reading so perhaps he & the other Reading folk can "do lunch" one mid-week day (if they haven't already!)

I'm keen on a Reading get-together although Oxford would be OK too if people would prefer it. Whatever, lets make this happen guys!

The next International Meet is aeons away so we need to get a few UK mini-meets organised.

so who's up for this one..........?

Hi! I've only just seen this date advertised for the meet (due to having been on jazzband tour in Germany). Assuming that the Reading Meet is planned to start at the usual 10-11am, I could make the first hour or so, but I have to be in East Anglia to play in a mid-afternoon jazz concert on Saturday. As a purely constructive comment, you're leaving it very late to let us know the Venue (is there a Starbucks in Reading?) and the Rendezvous Time. Having organised lots of past heelmeets, I found the best way is to plunge in and post these arrangements many weeks ahead, and that positive step gives members plenty of notice and confidence that it's definitely taking place. Anyway, I'll keep looking in, and good luck! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for the nudge, Heelfan. ;)

I'm not too knowledgeable about Reading and suitable meet-up spots.

There appears to be only one Starbucks in Reading & it's buried somewhere within the 3-storey Oracle shopping centre. Probably not wise to try assembling there on our first visit.

I propose we meet up at the railway station's main concourse coffee shop which I believe is a Costa Coffee.

There's a multi-storey car park directly behind the station so this would be a probable 'passing through' point for those coming by train (inc. myself) and by car.

My own ETA at the station is 11:45ish. If I can get my act together and catch an earlier train, I might be able to improve on that.

I've PM'd Calv, Firefox & thedesigner my mobile tel. no.

If anyone else wants to exchange numbers, give me a PM.

See ya Saturday then people!

Shucks! I'm VERY, VERY, VERY sorry! For tomorrow's jazz concert in Colchester, the bandleader has now asked me to pick up the trumpeter (Croydon) at 11.30 am and the pianist (Chiselhurst) at 12.30 pm and get the three of us up to Essex in time for the mid-afternoon concert. As in my last post, I was hoping to catch the first hour of the Heelmeet and then make my own way to Colchester. This is doubly frustrating because I had to miss Kneehigh's World Heelmeet in London recently due to band concerts throughout that period. Again, I am SO SORRY, but all I can do is keep my fingers crossed for the next one. Have a good one guys - I'll be thinking of you! Happy Heeling, Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Hi, All, Euchrid has just sent me a text to say that he's on the train, Calv and I are having another cup of tea before we get in the car. See you all at Reading station coffee bar. Xa/Calv

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

My mini-report on yesterdays' mini-heelmeet:

It was only a trio of us on the day. Me, Xaphod & Calv

"When shall we three meet again? In thunder, lightning, or in rain?" ;)

We did a comprehensive troll around the high street areas and the two shopping centres, perusing the high-heeling wares in the usual range of outlets.

Nothing much was to be found in most of them, with the summer ranges - the slingbacks, sandals and yeeugh...flats! - displacing the boots virtually out of existance in most of them (yes TK Maxx i'm especially talking about you!).

A couple of independent stores were discovered but nothing special in those either. Crocs-mania also seems to have taken over in loads of shoe shops at the moment which is just downright depressing.

Better luck was found in a House of Fraser dept. store where they still had a good selection of boots being sold at up to 75% off. This meant the majority were still around the £70 mark mind you.

I found a pair that took my fancy (Kurt Geiger 'Vixen' knee boots; dk brown; size 7; £39). A bit small as I need a 7.5 really but I was tempted as they were still a pretty good fit. I didn't get them there & then but we returned later in the day so I could try them on properly in the fitting room. The young & pretty sales girl took the whole thing in her stride when I asked to try them on & then bought them (clearly for myself). Result!

Calv & Xaphod had a good look around but decided not to 'splash cash' on anything this time around.

We took a few refreshment breaks during the shopping spree & a pub lunch was enjoyed at "The Horn" public house. It was at this venue that Xaphod kindly pointed out my resemblance to Phil Collins (the bald Genesis drummer)! I'll get you for that mate!

For some reason we had difficulty getting an al-fresco coffee later in the day! Other than that it was a pretty laid-back and enjoyable event.

Our overall impression of Reading as a heelmeet venue wasn't too high though. I don't think any of us will be clamouring for a return visit. Having said that, a better choice of footwear in the shops would make it far more appealing so who knows.

It was a shame that a few other HHP members couldn't have made it on the day. Here's hoping the next one will rustle up more interest.

My suggestions for that if anyone is interested (and in my own order of preference) are:-

Bluewater Shopping Centre

Birmingham Bull Ring

Lakeside Shopping Centre

Oxford

Milton Keynes Shopping Centre

...or of course London again would be A-OK with me.

Be seeing you. Euchrid

Yesterdays heel meets did actually gather a total of 6 people, not too bad. Unfortunately we were some hundreds miles apart (Copenhagen / Reading) but in spirit we were much closer. Hopefully we can meet all at once next time *s*

Very sorry I couldn't make it in the end. It was a nice day and I had promised to set the net up and play volleyball. Still, nice to hear you had a good time, and I'l try to do better on the next occcasion. Hopefully it will be somwhere with asteroids so we can have a head to head!

As Euchrid said, Enjoyable day .... fed and watered well, Pity there wasn't a better selection of shoe shops in Reading, Sortof the wrong time of year to shop for boots, Let's see if the established members can support a relative newbie more, next time ! Xa

Well, I'm pleased the meet went ahead, albeit without me. Just one last question, can you add to the report to mention what footwear the attendees were wearing? Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!