Scream 18 Oxfords ruined

WobbleFan

I need to vent this: I just snapped the heel of my left shoe of the pair of Scream 18 Oxfords I own(ed). The heel snapped just above the metal bit. I guess that's the weakest part of the entire shoe right where the metal heel is screwed in.

That's really horrible. I hadn't worn them a lot yet and was just about capable of crossing the living room in them without hurting myself :-) I'm a bit sad now. Might be my terrible way of walking in them though...

Posted Image

Looking at that picture in retrospect, maybe I just murdered them myself. Any opinions on this? Or did anyone experience the same thing? Could I've done anything to prevent this, apart from learning to walk properly?

This is the lesson. You should not try to wear heels you cannot walk in, you were lucky you broke the heel and not your ankle... Lecture over. Heels are not designed to take lateral sheer forces like that...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You start with the highest heels you can manage and wear them until you get used to them and then go up to the next height. It took me 5 years to get to 6" and now I can "almost" manage 7s...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You might consider training in more substantial heels as well -- block heels or wedges. Go to stilettos only when you are ready for them. Block heels tend to be more tolerant of minor "indiscretions" while wedges are far more so.

Have a happy time!

The Scream heels are not very well made and I hhave also broken the heel on a pair. I could walk pretty well in them until they broke. I have to defend Wobblefan here and say that you cannot get used to walking in a new pair of heels without wearing a new pair of heels.

You start with the highest heels you can manage and wear them until you get used to them and then go up to the next height. It took me 5 years to get to 6" and now I can "almost" manage 7s...

That's just about where I am. Check out my 7" ankle boots thread in "for the guys" to see a couple of video clips of me walking (sort of) in a full 7" heel.