Riga - High heel Capital of the World!

Smudgeur

Just returned from Latvia. Nearly all the local girls wear high heels, even when out shopping! They look fabulous. Shops had cheap shoes too, but couldn't check sizes as I was accompanied by a business colleague. get over there if you want a treat.

Hi I think it's the same thing in all Baltic states. Tallinn (Estonian capital) would fit the description too. And if I spot a woman in high heels shopping here in Helsinki, it's almost invariably a Russian or an Estonian. Heels seem to be more accepted in the east. About heels and business travel: it's often tough to combine, especially if you're part of a delegation... all staying in the same hotel and so on. Bert

What's all the fuss about?

• 2 weeks later...

Well... true. I live in Tallinn, the capital of Estonia and I must say we have dozens of nice little shops here downtown. The price varies greatly - from really cheap to really expensive. The only drawback is, that they are regular shoestores up to sizes 41 (sometimes 42) European size. An yes, a lot of girls girls here wear highheels. But no men! Actually I haven's seen or heard of any so far :grin: The culture is far from tolerant towards men in heels. Bu then again - not many has ever tried yet :smile:

HH forever!

I wore heels in Moscow for a week this summer:

Posted Image

Absolutely no problem at all. And yes, Russian girls love their heels. As good, if not better than London in this respect.

I'd give heels a try in your locality. Blend with your dress and you can't go wrong.

• 8 months later...

Absolutely right!

i would have loved to go into some shoe shops to try some on (they're so cheap I'm sure to have bought some) but I like to remain discrete as not everyone is as understanding as those in this group.

Tell me about it! I would rather travel for work alone, then I'm free to shop if I want to!

Having said that, I don't often get anywhere as exciting as Eastern Europe, worse luck. Two days in Macclesfield this week, and that's about normal :wink: .

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"