What a dilemma!!

Shoeiee

Hello everyone!! I've got a challenging situation I am going through right now that I think some of you may relate to :-) In April I got out of the USN. Of course since that is the military what I wore to work was always dictated by the regulations, so my heeling was always outside of work for obvious reasons. Well, in Dec. I got a new job that I REALLY like and this has brought a new situation up...No longer do the rules dictate that I must wear combat boots to work. I now must wear MY shoes/boots to work and this is where the delimma enters...I realized that I didn't own ANY 'civilian' shoes/boots which were not purchased from the women's racks!!! SO...What to do...Well, for conformity sake I went out and purchased a pair of Sperry Topsiders to wear with my kakhi pants. But this has not been the only shoes I have worn to work...I have mostly stuck with my wedge boots with about a 3" heel, both partially covered and fuly exposed. But this has brought about another delimma...I'lve almost worn them out and I can't find any to replace them with!! The concern I have is I love the job and the company (Verizon.) But I want to advance in the company's ranks. I am scared that introducing any heels higher than what I've already worn will be a deterrant to moving up. The company has a STRICT diversity policy and supports all backgrounds/races/sexual preferences/etc. (on paper at least...) But does anyone here think this could be a serious deterrant to moving up? FYI the climate is pretty good overall and I have yet to see/hear any negative remarks about my footwear. Also, being telecom, it's a fairly male-dominated environment but I am working a call-center so there are plenty of females around as well. My goal in the company is to go management (all salary positions are considered management) as a network engineer for our FiOS/Fiber To The Premises project, and hopefully move up from there. Any input would be appreciated!! Happy Heeling to everyone!! Shoeiee

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

Large corporations, like Verizion takes the humanity out of things. Going to have to play their rules if you want the job. Keep your heels out side of work, for now. By the way Fios rules!!!;)

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

If you're just in a call center right now, I'd think it would be okay. Not til you hit the field/public eye would it be a potential cause for concern.... just my 2 cents. As for now, though, get in good for a few months, then if there is a female supervisor in your section (or desired section -- failing that, human resources) that you can build a rapport with, try possibly discussing it with her...

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

I'd have to say it depends on the call centre. I thought I was okay with heels at work in a call center, but found out after I left the company that people were speaking ill of it behind my back. It just shows how some are nice to your face, yet whip out that kitchen knife the second your back is turned.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I agree with the others. Putting heels ahead of a good paying job makes absolutely no sense. A year ago, I was forced into that very situation, and the job won out----easily I might add. Besides, you'll always have off time to wear heels as much as you want to.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Indeed. I would go with the others here. Even if I was working in the footwear industry I'd wear "conformity" footwear and clothes unless I was a hotshot designer well noted for my flambouyance like JPG.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I work for a company with very strict Eq Op Emp & anti-discrimination rules; but; there are "un-written" rules that are expected from people in management (or potential candidates). As an example ... our office dresscode, official policy, is biz casual. But you see most people wearing suits (M and F). When a jr analyst is about to be promoted, one of the soft things to consider is how the person takes care of the personal appearence (i.e. dress, hair, etc). Not so much the brand, style, or fashion, but that overall the image is clean and presentable. I would say ... if you're heart is into mgmt ... go fo it!!! But maybe you might have to leave the heels for outside the office. On the other hand, you are going to make plenty of money to buy lots of new shoes!!!! just my 2c ... P

WOW!! I can't believe all the replies already!! You guys are QUICK! Yeah...I know what you all are saying!! I think I'm going to have to be a conformist for awhile...Nothing too extravagent until I escape the call center. And yes, image is one of the criteria for promotion as per our center's director. He SPECIFICALLY said this to a group of us in a meeting. But the way he presented it was more about how we act/behave and present ourselves than anything else. Another thing is our EEO policy specifically mentions transgender issues...I'll ask a few people who are part of the diversity team for their opinion before I push forward for SURE!! Thanks for the replies!! Shoeiee

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

Shoeiee, If you want to advance into management AND KEEP THE JOB, heels are out!!! Unless you own the company, heels are not part of the corporate structure- even the women who advance wear low heels. The rule I've always heard is to dress like your manager's manager. And as you've pointed out, there are written and unwritten rules and I don't think a male wearing heels will fit- I could be wrong, but really don't think so. Outside of work, happy heeling (and slipping!)

The rule I've always heard is to dress like your manager's manager.

I always feel uncomfortable looking smarter than the head of our department. It's not good to make your boss or his boss look scruffy - or uncomfortable. I'm sure I could get away with heels at my place, but it would be far too much of a distraction.