Walk A Mile In Her Shoes

Danielinheels

http://www.walkamileinhershoes.org

This event takes place at various locations around the country; I couldn't make any of them last year, but I definitely plan to make this year's Springfield event (4/14) and possibly Milwaukee's (5/6) as well.

The event was started in southern California started because of the old saying, "You never know what someone's been through until you've walked a mile in their shoes." Frank Baird (www.frankbaird.com) took that quote and applied it literally, with the belief that "[rape, sexual assault, and gender violence] don't just affect women; they affect everyone." Six years and dozens of walks later, the message is being spread.

I was raised by women, my best friend is a woman, and personal experiences of this subject that have been shared with me by women all influence my decision to participate in this event. Needless to say, I value the importance of women in my life; that I like wearing heels is merely an added bonus. I share this with you all because it is a good chance to wear heels for a positive cause; one free of ridicule and with the chance to meet many strong-minded individuals in the process. Here's their 2007 calendar:

03/20/07 Evansville, IN

03/31/07 Paducah, KY, USA

04/13/07 Kennewick, WA

04/14/07 Aberdeen, WA

04/14/07 Kenne, NH, USA

04/14/07 Springfield, IL

04/21/07 Lafayette, LA, USA

04/21/07 Akron, OH, USA

04/27/07 Tacoma, WA

04/28/07 Los Angeles, CA, USA

04/28/07 San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

04/28/07 Victoria, BC, Canada

04/29/07 Charlottesville, VA, USA

04/29/07 Milford, CT, USA

05/06/07 Milwaukee, WI, USA

05/11/07 Clarksville, IN

(as you can see, there is a significant hole in the summer.)

08/25/07 Howell, MI

08/25/07 Wilmington, NC, USA

09/08/07 Portland, OR, USA

09/22/07 Woodstock, Ontario Canada

10/12/07 St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

If you can make an event, please do so. Let your heeling be seen for a positive cause.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Thank you for posting the note on the board. We'll have representatives at each rally. We only ask that you remember the "significance" and "purpose" of these events.

Susan

Oh trust, I'm well aligned to the intent of the event. You can't just go, walk in heels, and bolt. They have very poignant follow-up discussions, stories shared, etc. after the walk is concluded. I'm eagerly looking forward to the WHOLE event, not just the walk.

Glad to see the events happening and spreading. It's a message that needs to be spread - nationally and internationally, as widely as possible. If that can be done in a way that's striking, makes the news, and is coincidentally fun, then great. One sometimes needs a shock/surprise in order to initiate change. It's why new managers will often make a big change immediately they come in - it's easier to change the organisation thereafter. A walk/march of men in heels is shocking to most people; hopefully that makes them less resistant to change. It's generally an effective approach - probably more so in more conservative communities, which may be an advantage if the abused in those communities have a harder time of it.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

I'd like to see this make it over to the UK, it's an issue that affects women the world over. Yes, it's an opportunity to go out in heels, but I'd like to think that any guys thinking of taking part are doing so because they care about what the march stands for. Good luck to anyone taking part, I wish I could voice my support too. Chris

My wife was the victim of rape. It happened before we even met, but I have had to deal with it in all sorts of bad ways throughout our marriage, and will probably do so for the rest of our life together. I am glad to see this march for more than one reason. Samheels

Sadly there's a lot of it about, two of my exes were raped before I met them and I had to help them deal with the aftermath. I wish they'd castrate the offenders when they caught them, then lock them up for life. Chris

• 4 weeks later...

It's taken a couple weeks to reach a few women and event organizers in an effort to put together a bit of a program. Air and ground travel for these women remains a problem but we're still working on it. If you would go to the "Walk a mile in her shoes" web site and then click on "Calendar" then click on "04/14/07 St. Louis then click on "ALIVE" (Alternatives to Living in Violent Evironments) This is one of the rally organizers which is why I went through the sequence. then click on "STATISTICS" One of the women trying to make arrangements to attend, six years ago caught her boyfriend in the kind of behavior outlined in the "secret stuff" thread. Some of the long time readers may remember her. His behavior didn't stop with the intrusion of her home and invasion of her privacy. When she told him to get out, it turned real nasty real quick. On other threads in other sections there is on going discussion, even disbutes, about what are and aren't permanently high heeled feet. In reality it's irrelevant! What is relevant and permanent is the beating this woman took and the disfigured eye it left her with. I'll refer you again to the "statistics". Danielinheels, (and anyone else) I don't doubt for a moment your sincerity in your descriptions pertaining to your female friends. In your response to me you used the word "trust" with a tone of authority. Two good topics for poignant discussion, male authority and trust. Organizing and participation in these kinds of events is to be applauded. In several recent conversations I've stressed the point that everything surrounding domestice violence, abuse, sexual assault, rape, etc., is always reactive. Until people have the back bone to recognize and admit the origins, nothing is ever going to change. I get in trouble all the time for defending women. I didn't start this thread. Susan

That's OK, we've a lot of experience in what to expect. Arrogance and authority compliment each other. I'm sorry for the tardiness in getting back but putting this together has been a bit hectic. As we understand it there is only a brief program planned at the end of the walk which is scheduled to start at 11:00 am. If we can make the necessary arrangements can we call on you? Simply a hand full of women who went through hell that no human being should suffer. They refused to comply, be taught or trained. They held to their beliefs and values and paid for it dearly. Presently I'm expecting to be in St. Louis. Making both events is becoming a logistical nightmare and expensive for the rest of the girls. We have no desire to rain on anyones parade. At the same time this is where we can speak, without censors, where reality bubbles to the surface. I was identified on a forum as a lose cannon that had to be stopped. I still have it. Enough is enough. We'll see! Susan

Due to some recent changes in my living arrangements, I will not be able to attend the Springfield walk and it'll take a miracle for me to make Milwaukee. I'm thinking of renting a community car like the I-Go cars network, but I've not been driving long enough to qualify for them. I'll work this out somehow, though; lest I attend a walk next year.

That's unfortunate Danielinheels, but I understand unexpected things do happen. As you say, maybe next year. Thank you for getting back to us. I'll make this an open invitation. Anyone who would like to plan a discussion at one of these rallies please contact me. The only way to get to the root of the problem is to get it out in the open. Thanks Susan

Sadly there's a lot of it about, two of my exes were raped before I met them and I had to help them deal with the aftermath. I wish they'd castrate the offenders when they caught them, then lock them up for life. -----Chris

Or maybe, as W.C.Fields would say,"Give 'em 20 years in the electric chair!" ;):o

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 1 year later...

well i just found out this movement :o well i would gladly join to this, but only if it would be on my own country, cuz usa is a really far for me :roll:

every human has they own choices...

let me know if theres any round london.. a mile's a breeze.... all it means is wearing favourite heels not brand new ones... Funnily enough, my 6" plats are as comfortable as any.... wear heels in the flat all the time so no prob...

• 3 years later...

My wife was the victim of rape. It happened before we even met, but I have had to deal with it in all sorts of bad ways throughout our marriage, and will probably do so for the rest of our life together.

Samheels

After a bit of a personal experience I really believe the offenders should just get deballed to start with then horse whipped. Anyway still giving this get together some thought for the cause that I believe in and for the chance to see other guys heeling it.

• 2 weeks later...

Violence is the tool of the ignorant.... Any violence, man/woman, man/man, woman/woman is inexcusible!!!

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I actually really like the shoes in the last photo :unsure:

Yeah but it's a self imposed struggle to walk in shoes like that, that are way to large a size for the wearer.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.