need my boot zip fixed :(

not the best idea where i live methinks

Zippers can be tricky. Depending upon what has actually gone wrong, it may be possible to repair the zipper. But in most cases you are going to end-up replacing the zipper. Either way, the average person does not have the skills and/or equipment to do the job right. Any competent shoe repair shop should be able to do the job fairly inexpensively. Unless you're prepared to toss the boots, it's about the only way to go.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

i live in the middle of nowhere and where everybody knows everybody and what they are up 2

Perhaps there's a shoe repair shop in a not-too-distant city?

Have a happy time!

i live in the middle of nowhere and where everybody knows everybody and what they are up 2

Well, if the local gentry all have their tongues hung in the middle so that they'll wag on both ends, you could try going on-line and finding a shop you can ship them to. There has to be someone in the entire kingdom you can turn to.

Another thing, if the zipper failed straight out of the box, you may have a warranty that you need to look into. Unless you bought the boots "AS IS", there is usually an implied warranty with the product.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 1 month later...

Usually the zipper needs to be replaced, if the boots are genuine leather, it shouldn't be a problem.What you could do when they replace the zipper completely to do the other boot as well, because it will go wrong with the other one sooner then later. Ask to put a elasticated side with the zipper in, it could help.

FoxyLady

To Balletboots: The zips are usually sandwiched in between the lining and the upper usng stictches. There is also another backing piece sewn in behind the zip on one side on most good quality pairs. To replace the zip, carefully cut the stitches with a sharp knife taking care not to cut the leather. Now. remove the old zip and sew in a new one of the right length and colour. Dress making places have all kinds of different ones, and you need the heavy duty type. Or, you could use a zip from an old worn out pair that is the right size. It's possible also to use a longer zip and cut it down, sealing it by oversewing the end (not recommended) When sewing back in the new zip, use a heavy duty thread and the original holes in the leather. You will need a good thimble and possibly an awl too. Sewing leather accurately is not easy. Use something like backstitch to make the work stronger and make sure the stitches are pulled very tight. There is a lot of strain on a zip.