Anyone else like chunky, clunky platforms?

smitty

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and wanted to just jump right in - hope that's okay. It would appear that alot of the guys on here go for stiletto heels (judging by the pics) and pointy toes, while my personal preference is the kind of clunky, chunky look. I like platforms, black or dark in color, with at least a four inch heel and a square-ish or rounded toe. I have a few three-and-a-half inchers, but nothing shorter than that. I really have no other significant interest in female fashion other than shoes, and have been collector for approximately eight years, although my fascination with heels goes back much further. I consider myself lucky in that I can fit into some size 10s, and almost all size 11s, so finding what I like is fairly easy. Some of my favorite brands are Splash, (my absolute #1 favorite brand!), Funky Chunk, Hot Topic, Mudd, L.E.I. and Club Zone to name just a few! In Fact, as I type this, I'm wearing a pair of black, size 10 Splash platform loafers with a one inch platform and a five inch heel. I've read with great interest (and a little envy) the posts from those of you with the confidence / courage to wear heels in public - something I wouldn't dare to do at this point. For now, it's just around the house - never outside. When I get a chance, I'll post some pics of my favorite pairs, but in the meantime, I wondered how many of you out there like the same kind of shoes I do - let me know. It would be interesting to compare notes! Smitty

Hello Smitty!! Welcome to HHPlace! I enjoy ANY type of heel, whether stiletto or chunky. If it's got a heel, I'll wear it!! My collection ranges from about 3" wedges to ballets. Typical wear is 3.5-4" chunky heel boots but sometimes I go for the 5" (or higher...) spikes when out with the wife :D I wear heels nearly 24/7 but occasionally do flats for work purposes. I've been getting away with 3" wedges at work and loving it! But I typically reserve the more obvious styles in public, outside of work. I have NEVER gotten a severe negative reaction but have received some giggles and laughs. The best reactions are the "WTF?!?!?!" looks I get from guys sometimes. It's funny to watch them do double and triple takes as their minds TRY to comprehend what they've just seen :wink: IT's even funny when some women recognize what I'm wearing! Most get a "HOLY CRAP!!!!" look on their faces but then it's over. Life goes on :-) Point is don't be afraid to wear what you like when you want to. Of course be abservant of work-related situations but when you leave work, leave work behind and be free to be yourself! Again, WELCOME!! Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

Hello Smitty!!

Welcome to HHPlace!

I enjoy ANY type of heel, whether stiletto or chunky. If it's got a heel, I'll wear it!! My collection ranges from about 3" wedges to ballets. Typical wear is 3.5-4" chunky heel boots but sometimes I go for the 5" (or higher...) spikes when out with the wife :D I wear heels nearly 24/7 but occasionally do flats for work purposes. I've been getting away with 3" wedges at work and loving it! But I typically reserve the more obvious styles in public, outside of work.

I have NEVER gotten a severe negative reaction but have received some giggles and laughs. The best reactions are the "WTF?!?!?!" looks I get from guys sometimes. It's funny to watch them do double and triple takes as their minds TRY to comprehend what they've just seen :wink: IT's even funny when some women recognize what I'm wearing! Most get a "HOLY CRAP!!!!" look on their faces but then it's over. Life goes on :-)

Point is don't be afraid to wear what you like when you want to. Of course be abservant of work-related situations but when you leave work, leave work behind and be free to be yourself!

Again, WELCOME!!

Happy Heeling!

Shoeiee

Welcome,

If yer a high heeled nut, like most of us are, you're definitely in the right place.

As for me, since I'm an old fudd with a broken back, I prefer wedgies, but I also wear some chunky heeled boots. I have to agree with Shoeiee and say that wearing and modeling shoes for myself became too unsatisfying. You have to use a little common sense, of course, but the sooner you decide to step out the more you'll enjoy your heels. Eventually you'll start putting your outfits together and matching your shoes with your clothes.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I'm a big fan of chunkier heels myself. I actually went out to Wal-mart with my friend last night and I was wear these:

Posted Image

I didn't see ANYONE looking at my feet. I was wearing flare jeans that covered most of it, but it was still noticeable that they were heels. But if anyone noticed, I did catch them.

Thanks for the replies! I agree with everything said - especially Guy N's comment 'that wearing and modeling shoes for myself became too unsatisfying' However, until I'm ready to take the plunge (if I ever do), posting some pics here will be the next best thing. I'm proud of the little collection I've built up and would very much like to show it off and find out what others think, but I think I still have to post a few more times before I can post any pics - is that correct? I just picked up a pair of Hot Topic super chunky mary janes in size 11 - awesome shoes with a mega thick sole! Like I say, I can't wait to start posting a few pics! Nice boots, Newfie - who makes 'em?

Very cool, Newfie! Skechers is another of my favorite brands - they've got some very hot styles. Right now, as a matter of fact, I'm looking for a pair of their chunky heel military or 'combat' style boots in a size 10 or 11. These are very similar to yours, except that they lace up and have more of a bubble toe (with no seam down the middle), another look that's at the very top of my list! What's your size?

Hey Smitty, Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another platform lover in the group. I've been a plat and wedge fan for years and wear whenever I can. Good to have you in the forum...

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

Smitty, You can post pics from the first post. There is no 'requirement' to be a member for a certain period before posting a pic. You can either link to a pic from another site or ask an admin to set up a photo gallery so it can be hosted here instead of a pic hosting service (I think...) Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

You're a lucky guy, Newfie! Finding exactly what I like wouldn't be such a challenge if I could squeeze into a size 9. I am fortunate, however, in that I can sometimes get into a size 10. I checked out your album (thanks for the link) and I like the stripper boots with jeans look the best. Although, I'm not a real big fan of patent - I prefer more of a matte finish. To Chris - I have one pair of semi-spiky, low-cut booties by Colin Stuart but, as a rule, I prefer a thicker heel, although I would like to add at least one pair of 5 inch stilettos (or is it 'stilettoes'?) to my collecton! Thanks again, everyone, for the replies. As soon as time permits, I'll take and post some pics.

Smitty: Being a '70's guy, I am a big chunky fan, and wear a size 11 or 12. I have three pairs of 4-5" chunky size 11's that I wear out all the time, but have found diddle in size 12. Occasionally, I get a look from a girl or two. The last look I got was from a 20'ish young lady who spied the round toed 5" chunky heel zipper sided dudes with bubble toes I had on with a pair of regular length jeans. You could see the whole shoe, and she just gawked for awhile, to compute. Then I got a "hey, I want that" look that she flashed me. After a bit, l went over to talk, and I said "hi". She gave me a sexy look after that, and said "hi" back, but she had to go. As she left, she flashed a look that was kinda sexy-hungry. I guess she was turned on by a guy bold enough to wear women's shoes in public. Another time, a teen girly-girl saw my shoes and said: "Hey, those are MY shoes!" I said: "NO, they're MINE!". I was kinda embarrassed, but not really. My sister once said: "Hey, LOOK at your shoes!" I said "so?", like, what's with YOU? She didn't answer, but just loked at them again and again. She has not ever said anything since, and that is NOT like her. I wear them around her alot and she doesn't seem to notice them anymore. Another girl I see often says: "I like your outfit", when I had on the chunky bubble toes with ultra tight low waisted jeans with a wide woven belt and a loose dark grey turtle neck. I see her regularly at church quire, and she always has something positive to say about my "outfit". I always wear at least a 3" heel, and she usually makes a note on that. One time, a lady I know well, told me that she finally got up the courage to wear high heel boots, that she had on, because she thought it was a conspiracy of men to make wonen wear high heels, so she would never wear them. She said that was why men don't wear them. When she said that, I bawked, hiked up my bell bottoms, and showed her my 6" heels. Her mouth dropped, and I said: "That's BS, 'cuz I LOVE heels and wear them all the time!" She laughed, and now every time she sees me, she comes over and compares heel height. So far, I have always won. (-not too hard. she teeters on 3" boots-neophyte) I have never gotten a comment from a guy. Maybe a look or two... My wife is indifferent when I wear chunky heels, but she doesn't want me to wear the 6" spikes I have out, so I have to respect her on that. I am now looking for a pair of wood chunky heeled mules with at least a 5 to 6" heel with a 1" or less plat. I want these for the summer, as I want to wear them with short shorts and my shaved legs. I already have a nice bronze tan, and the weight machine has my legs looking good. I just can't find anything I like in wood with a high enough chunky heel that don't cost a couple hundred. I have considered making some out of wood. I have a friend who does wood working, so more on that later. If you ever wear them out, not many will even notice a chunky heel. I also want to try wedges out this summer, but don't like the rope heel look. I have some cork ones with 5" heels, but they are loose fitting on me. Samheel

Again, I do admire and, to some degree, envy you guys that heel in public. And despite the typically positive outcomes, I still don't see myself doing it - much less telling my wife - for some time to come. Samheel - have you tried looking for your mules or wedges on eBay? I don't really need any more competition, but I do occasionally see what I think you're looking for from time to time. Also, have you checked out 'electriqueboutique.com' ? They've got some really cool heels in larger sizes that don't cost a fortune. It's worth having a look, if you haven't discovered it already. And don't forget good ol' Payless Shoes. Recently, they haven't had much, but they've had some awesome chunky, clunky heels in the past - their 'Lower East Side' brand is one of my favorites and they regularly come in sizes 5 through 12!

I have to say I am definately a pointed toe / thin heel person - I just think the boots tend to look more attractive that way!! Probably makes them stand out more if you go public though (which I do not have the confidence for)

You have a very cosmopolitan collection, kinheels! My favorite would be the platform ankle boots (cd9da8d1). I love that look, but those seem to be unique to the UK (Barratts? Faith?), as I haven't been able to find a pair over here. The block heel calf boots (DSCF0011) are very similar to a couple pair in my collection and I love your clunky wedges, particularly the black/glitter high platforms (DSCF0025), and the slightly goth looking stompers (DSCF0030). As you can see, a lot of what I like falls into the 'goth' catagory including your platform Mary Janes (DSCF0052). Thanks for the welcome and, thanks for sharing the pics! Smitty

Balletbooter - Very nice, especially the boots! More of those awesome, really high, chunky heel UK ankle boots that are so darn scarce over here (bummer). The shoes are cool too, and very close to several pairs I am lucky enough to call mine (and fit into)! I've got a little fitting trick - If the shoe is a bit on the tight side, I wear it around for a while with a pair of semi-thick socks. Yes, it's uncomfortable at first, but after a short while, it's not that big a deal. After I've worn them like that for an hour or so, I take off the socks and my feet slip right back in with little or no difficulty. I repeat this process each time I wear that particular pair which, if you're just wearing them around the house, is no big deal. I'm usually good in that pair for the rest of the day!

Those boots are great Balletbooter. Where did they come from?

I can tell you where the boots are from....

They are by RAID, and have proper 5 inch heels and were originally sold by places like argos additions although I dont think you can get them anymore?

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I sure do!! I have 3 different styles/pairs of boots/shoes that are ALL chunky platforms, plus one pair of high platform sandals both boots & sandals are my member name-DEMONIA!(that is, one pair of high chunky KISS type boots & the sandals, both black in color about 6 inches thick!) I love 'em! then a pair of chunky platform loafer shoes, & last of all a wedge-type pair of platform boots (ankle high for those) leather boots from STEVE MADDEN that I boutgh some years ago.

I'm looking for a pair of shoes with similar heels to smitty if anyone knows of any.

If you're referring to the shoes pictured in my avatar, they were made by 'Splash Fashion Footwear' (my #1 favorite brand!). They're an awesome pair of heels, but only come in sizes 5-10 US.

For me, it's a tight size 10, but with a little work, and my 'sock stretching' technique, I can squeeze into them and wear them all day with no real discomfort. These were all over the place 5-6 years ago, but are very hard to find now - in any size (I was looking for over 2 years before I finally found a pair).

In the UK, 'New Look' was offering an almost identical shoe just a few years ago.

It's hard to find a basic square-toed loafer with such a deliriously high, chunky heel, but well worth the effort, when you do!

demoniaplatforms - I just wanted to add that I love the look of Demonia and Hot Topic platforms, which are very similar (might even be the same parent company, for all I know). That 'goth / stomper' look really appeals to me!

Care to post some pics?

Hi smitty!

I was also tempted to ask where are the shoes from in your avatar. Well, your last post answered it. Only up to US10 and hard to find nowadays? Too bad. Anyway, could you please tell us how high the heels are with those shoes?

CU!

-Mike

Hi Mike,

The heel's just shy of 5 inches.

It's kind of funny, but at one time I was so obsessed with finding a pair of these, that I tracked down the name of Splash's parent company (with a little help from Google) and called them to find out if this particular style was still available; and if not, was there a chance they might have some 'new-old-stock' lying around their warehouse somewhere? The answer, unfortunately, to both questions was a polite 'no.'

Oh well. If they did, I probably would have had to buy them by the gross, just to meet their minimum quantity requirements!

5"? Cool! Always wanted shoes like that... -- Once there was an offer like this on eBay I placed bids and had actually won the aution in the end but the shoes got lost on their way from the U.S. to Europe and hence have never arrived. Plus I never again saw something like this offered anywhere else since. Should have checked with online shops at the time when there was lots of 'girls'-shoes like that in the stores until the end of 2000 or so. But with all the shops near my place these styles were only ranging up to EU41 which is comparable to a US ladies 10. Chances 'were' that online shops offered them in ladies' US12 or 13 as well. But at that time I didn't know about ladies' plus sizes online stores nor did I know about eBay... Smitty, just in case you come across an offer or a supplier who still sells this stuff, please (!!!) tell me immediately!!! CU! -Mike

Hi all,

I bought a pair of black patent Mary Janes with 3 inch chunky heels last week. They have a very slight platform to cushion the front-foot. They're really comfortable. I got them from http://www.fantasyheels.co.uk/index.html

If you go to footwear, click on shoes, then on 4 inch MJs/Oxford, then scroll down to Gogo-50. The ones in the pic are red patent, but I went for black. UK postage is free!

They look-and feel- terrific. Unfortunately I don't have the means for photos at the moment. I wore them at work Friday evening for a while, then walked home in them to get the feel of them. Since there were no problems I wore them to a classical concert Saturday evening. Absolutely wonderful evening, and I felt so good in my new shoes.

If you are tempted, I recommend you go a size higher than usual though. The width fitting is reasonable generous (my feet are quite wide), but the length isn't.

Last night I had to go out to the shops briefly for some milk. I already had a long denim skirt on, as I tend to do when lounging around at home. I decided to go for it and wore a pair of plain black courts/pumps with a 3 inch chisel/blade heel. Nice and clicky on the walk there and back. Great fun too. No problems from anyone, I'm not even sure if anyone noticed. It's a very busy road, lots of traffic. The shoes only cost me £20.00 from a catalogue and they were bliss to wear from the first moment. I finding I'm getting more and more confident wearing heels as time goes on.

Soon be time to move up to 4 inch heels. I can't wait!

Happy heeling guys...

All best wishes,

Tosca

Still rainin' still dreamin'