Street heeling

admirer5577

Hi all I opened this thread so that everybody can write about their experiences in street heeling without feeling that they are "stepping on somebody elses toes/threds". If I have missed that a thread like this already exists, please re-direct me. Anyway, today I went to Copenhagen, it is just a train ride away for me. It is a nice city with around 1 million people, depending on how you count, and at least to me it is rather open-minded. I spent the whole day in 4 and 5 inch boots. I just had to change between the two because my feet doesn't like me being in the same boots for more than some 5 hours or so. As it was Saturday, and just after pay day, the city was crowded but just as everyone else here says, more or less no one sees or cares. Maybe one of 200 people notices it and I only saw one bf/gf couple who stopped on the opposite sidewalk and looked for a little longer. I visited plenty of shops and stopped for two cafe latte's, totally un-eventful in terms of people spotting my heels. And this is how we all want, isn't it? But when I should go back home with the train I had THE moment of the day. When I stepped onto the train I went through the vestibule of the train and when I passed the door into the actual seating compartment there were a group of 7-8 people, mostly girls 20-25 yrs old, sitting just by the door and one of the girls was telling the group something like this: "and I saw this normal looking guy, around 40, but when I looked down..." she stopped talking immidiately she saw me and the group started to giggle/laugh but not at me but at her!! She had probably ran in to me somewhere on the town and jumped on to the train at the previous stop. I have to admit that I was totally un-prepared for this so I just continued to a free seat some rows behind them. I thought about going back to them and ask what they thought about it but I was kind of tired and I didn't want to push my luck so I just stayed in my seat. We all left at the same stop and apparently it wasn't a big deal for them because I thought they might want to stay behind to check this "weirdo" out but they just went away. Just another proof that people don't really care about what we put on our feet. Happy heeling everybody, see you in London next month.

It sounds like fun, and I love to see Copenhagen some day and go to Germany too, but money is the problem, I live in the U.S.A.

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

Nice story, and yes we all like to be noticed "as being not noticed". I recommend Berlin, you'll have the ugly areas, crowded with the "common people" and the art- and different-tolerand like people where you can wear what you want and dress up, like you want to.

Copenhagen. One of my most favorite cities on this earth.

For sure I do like Copenhagen but there are plenty of other, even nicer, cities I think. Paris and New York are my absolute favorites but I haven't been in London for years so maybe London will be added to my list of favourites after next month.

I guess my question to all would be: Why does it seem like countries in Europe are much more acceptable to men wearing high heels than in the USA? I have been venturing out in my 4 inch stacked boots. Not too much attention - but I am always cautious as to where I wear them. bernheels

I guess my question to all would be:

Why does it seem like countries in Europe are much more acceptable to men wearing high heels than in the USA?

While there are far more learned people here who could provide a much more detailed explanation, I've always been of the belief that the U.S., being a more puritanical country than Europe is far more rigid and narrowminded when it comes to alternative ideas regarding sex, gender, fashion, you name it. There's a longstanding (and inaccurate) mindset that goes: Men can only wear this, that or the other thing or they'll be looked upon as gay, perverted or just plain weird. While Europeans are more openminded about such things, we Americans, sadly, are not. That's why acceptance when it comes to alternative fashion, like men in heels has been so glacial. I hope that helps you, Bernheels.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I guess my question to all would be:

Why does it seem like countries in Europe are much more acceptable to men wearing high heels than in the USA? I have been venturing out in my 4 inch stacked boots. Not too much attention - but I am always cautious as to where I wear them.

bernheels

Then again, the United States is spread out across such long distances and some of the less populated areas are much more traditional in their thinking, ie: Iowa, North and South Dakota, Montania, etc. It would seem that people living in the heart of the larger cities (New York, Washington, DC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta and New Orleans -- to mention a few -- are more accepting to "different strokes for different folks" thinking and visibility. I know that this is not really a full explanation but I would think it would be easier for new attitudes to spread shorter distances and in cities like Stockholm where social attitudes seem to be more relaxed.

hey everyone..

..nice to be back with you all...

...well we drove down to Disney on the 19th of January..I didn't want to get to "out there" but I was determined to make a statement to myself so I wore my old standbys...

Posted Image

..all the way down to our first night at Daytona Beach and out to dinner later...not one single person even caught my eye with so much as a hint of recognition..and neither Donna or my son said one word of concern or complaint...gave them a rest while we walked our endless miles around the Parks and Resorts but you know I was thinking about them the entire trip..up until the day we came home..

...wore them again and this time we stopped at the Polynesian for breakfast before heading out on the "Big Road" (I-4) for the nine hour drive home..it was a real rush wearing them in a busy resort but no one even cared...

---------------------

...so now I'm back to work and it's Monday morning ( last week) and the pull of the heels is stronger than ever...Monday and Tuesday I wore the 'Radars" with the four inch heel:

Posted Image

...felt good..looked great...

...Wednesday I stepped it up to the "Quiveras " with a four and a half inch heel:

Posted Image

...snowed on Thursday and many if us did not work..but Friday was another exciting opportunity:

Posted Image

these were only three and one-half high but a STILETTO heel made it really a thrill...

...the point of this rather long, wandering essay for this afternoon is this and you have all said the same thing.."no one cares..."

...does this "indifference" encourage any of you to push the heels higher...or tend toward more stiletto...it does for me...I have been harboring a desire to go as high as I can manage so that a lower heel can still be considerable but comfortable...

Jim

JSpikeheels

Being born and raised in the Southern states of the USA, I believe the reason it is easier for men to wear heels overseas is simple. "We" in the USA are more close minded than overseas. If you look at history, it seems we are always slower to come around on change. Aka, the gay movement and so on. Just my two cents.

JeffB

"U.S., being a more puritanical country than Europe is far more rigid and narrowminded when it comes to alternative ideas regarding sex, gender, fashion, you name it."

You are so right!

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

I have been thinking that is completly different than you said. :shocked:In my country men in HH is verry strange incident. At this time i have thought that in your country you have more freedom in fassion. I meant that you can wear HH whenever you want.

I have been thinking that is completly different than you said. :shocked:In my country men in HH is verry strange incident. At this time i have thought that in your country you have more freedom in fassion. I meant that you can wear HH whenever you want.

I think it has not so much to do with the country itself as it has to do with the city. If you go to Stockholm in Sweden people wouldn't look twice (ask any member here that are from Sth) but try to do it in Vetlanda (small town in south of Sweden) and the whole town would probably point finger at you and within hours the whole town would know about you.

And as some members from the US says there are differences there too. I was in NYC last year and experienced nothing bad there when in heels. But I guess that the small town mentality rules in certain area there too.

There are of course differences between countries, especially I think within the former Soviet countries and in the east block. In my opinion it is because the information to the citizens for many years have been more or less controlled by the goverment and different lifestyles have never been approved. Today the situation is different but old traditions takes a generation or two to break.

I hope I don't upset anyone from these countries. In many ways are the traditions and culture in these countries so much more inspiring and interesting than "ours" in the western part. Can not say that I have a lot of knowledge about these countries but I have at least been working in both Russia and Ukraine and then seen so much more than what you see as a tourist. (Have been a tourist in Poland, Hungary and Czeck Republic too)

Some years ago I had a Ukranian girlfriend that was the finest girl I have met this far, but that is a totally other story.

... Some years ago I had a Ukranian girlfriend that was the finest girl I have met this far, but that is a totally other story.

Tell us about her. She likes when you wear HH. What was her opinion about men in HH. Do you ask her about this? Did you ever talk about this with her?

You asked, "Please correct me any time if i wrote some wrong in English. It will be very helpful for me."

I ain't no english major, but here goes:

It should have been, "I have been thinking that is completly different than what you said. In my country men in HH is a very strange incident. By this time i would have have thought that in your country you would have more freedom in fassion. What I mean by this is that you can wear HH whenever you want"

Yeah, I can speak Greek, too. That don't make me no language major. I speak like I want, dig? Just how I grew up, is all. That it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just walked to a local video store in these http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/darthraze/Boots05.jpg about 10 min walk, 15 in the store, and a 10 min walk back. And I didn't see one person notice my heels. I had like an inch of them showing. It's kind of bitter sweet. I like the fact that no one notices, but if no one does how can I get compliments lol. Just thought I'd share to help those of you thinking about venturing out for a first time. It's realy not that big a deal!