How I conquered the "dress code"!

ShockQueen

I finally put down on a page how I managed to wear heels where I work at, and the steps (literally!) that I took to get where I am now! The link to the page is at:

http://shockqueen.fateback.com/rantsraves.html

This page will remain on my site, even after the next "Rants & Raves" is done, so don't worry. I keep all the older articles in my "Vault" page.

I hope you enjoy my pictoral journey of heeling conquest! :smile::grin:

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Not meaning to be rude :grin: , SQ, but you seem to be fairly knowledgeable about web building, including graphics (I assume that you did them for Rave's since it resembles your own site?); that said, why aren't your 75x75 pixel photos optimised for the internet (using Photoshop or Illustrator for example)? I have found that an optimization of 20% works for most photos without appreciable degradation of image quality--19% or below and it falls off sharply, Adobe seems to have built-in a threshold of sorts at the magic 20% barrier. At 20% a 75x75 image shouldn't be much larger than 2500 bytes, if that much. Judging from the few images I sampled, yours are more like 8800. The site is great, its just that with my slow 56K modem it takes a while to load, particularly Chris's album page. :smile::grin::grin:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I'll keep checking on it using Photoshop and Fireworks to see how much I can shrink them. I haven't done too much with optimization yet, but I shrunk down the image size to a more manageable level than they were originally - I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the heads-up though. How did you like the article?

The article was ok...but I wish you could reveal abit more about what you do in your work environment, and how you convinced your supervisors, assuming you have any, that your work for them wouldn't suffer from your change in footwear. For example, if you were an office manager vs a warehouse worker--if the former, it might not be particularly difficult to convince your superiors, whereas loading/unloading boxes, driving forklifts, etc, might cause them to ask you to look for another job if you insisted on wearing heels! :grin::smile:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

OK, I can do that! I work in a major high-speed internet service call center, which means I sit on my butt for 8+ hours a day tapping away at a computer since I do what is called "on-line support" where the customer chats with you online about whatever issue you may be having. As far as convincing my superiors about the coolness of wearing heels, I really didn't ask - I just started wearing them, and when one style did not meet with any resistance, then I would go to the next level! After a while, no one asks about why you wear heels anymore, but they'll sometimes comment on particular styles, which is cool. My supervisors/managers don't have a problem with me wearing them - in fact, most don't say anything at all, except one who asked if I wore those (stiletto boots) in the winter time. I just told him that I'd probably do like the gals do and wear something suitable outside, and then change once I got inside. Heels have gotten to be pretty much an integral part of my everyday wardrobe now. btw...today I am wearing my 5" red-patent pumps with ankle straps with dark trousers, red shirt, and black jacket - no reaction, except a couple of disbelieving looks from my co-workers (thinking "how can he DO that?"). Makes me like my work environment even more, and helps me get through some of the tough days when you get upset customers! :smile:

I loved the article James. Pics loaded while I was reading the text, but it is suprising what you can do with image optimisation. It's something I need to work on if I ever get time. My story of acclimatisation of co-workers or anyone else to my footwear is similar except I start with 2 inch blocks/cowboys and end up with 4 -5 boots with thinner heels. I don't think some of those avant garde styles would look good on m, but I bet they're a knockout on you. In all my experience of seeing guys in the flesh doing unusual footwar, they usually have a very fine sense of what looks good on them. A better sense in fact, than many girls I have seen.

Well Fox, some girls don't have a great sense, but, *ahem* at least one I am very familiar with has had nothing but compliments this week. Whether genuine or not, I just eat up the attention. Other women think I have it. Whatever it is. But I have it. Men don't seem to be noticing enough... :smile:

What a wonderful little essay you wrote, SQ! You did a marvelous job in describing how you got from point A to point B with your high heel wearing at work. And the shoes and boots were really cool! I especially loved the baby doll pumps in black. I think they'd look great on me at the office. In fact, I may just order me a pair! Once again, a great job! Keep up the tremendous work! :smile:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Whether genuine or not, I just eat up the attention. Other women think I have it. Whatever it is. But I have it.

Men don't seem to be noticing enough...

:smile:

Some of us are too far away :grin: !

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

"Son of SQ 7 inchers"...hee hee hee.... Am I getting a reputation around here or what? :smile: I do like those sandals you acquired - the way the ankle-strap goes is truly cool!

You thought correctly, young grasshopper! I do like that style very much! These days though, I am loving my baby-dolls more and more - they are UBER-COMFY!

• 2 weeks later...

i started out in my 4" chunky rubber heeled boots and i havent stopped yet. i just plucked up the balls and turned up for work wearing my ankle boots one day and was very dissapointed that nobody seemed to notice for the first 3 day's But when my supervisor noticed he was totally cool about it, i joked with him that he cannot look down at me anymore (he is 6ft2).. Since then all has been well, i wear them all over london at work..... It felt like a huge leap of faith but i managed to pull it off.....

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I used to have a lot of trouble finding shoes/boots with high heels, and then I started mail-ordering from Frederick's of Hollywood and Sexy Shoes. Both are OK if you have no local access, but since I've found Rave's, I've not had any trouble, since if she doesn't have it in stock, but can be ordered, then I usually go that route. She's actually brought in two styles for general sale due to requests that have been made by me, since they were not 'regular stock' at that time. I'm sure she's had requests from others, which sprout even more lines, so it all works out. :smile:

Compared to say, five, ten or fifteen years ago, these days, larger sized shoes are considerably more plentiful. You just have to know where to look. Thankfully, the Internet makes the search a great deal easier. Finding places like Rave's is indeed a godsend for folks like me who can't wear shoes from traditional makers like, say, Nine West as most mainstream makers only go up to size 11 or 12, and the latter is often a reach. But, larger sized shoes are indeed out there today.

The availability of larger sized shoes is also helped by some of us taller women with larger feet, I think. Hey, I like fancy shoes too, it's time to go beyond 10, because my feet are only size ten when flat, really, and I hate flat feet. :smile: Just another way that people like myself can help you boys out with your quest for more heels...

On the subject of a dress code, I've never actually seen one at the place where I work, so when I made the bold move to start wearing heels to work, I had no way of knowing if I would be in violation of whatever our dress code might have been. However, no one's complained, so I guess I didn't violate anything. And even since I've exclusively started wearing pumps to the office every day, I still haven't encountered any negative feedback from co-workers or superiors. Everything's been unfailingly positive and, as I've mentioned here from time to time, even complimentary as my female co-workers are suitably impressed with my taste in shoes. I've gone out of my way to be tasteful in regards to what I wear, and that's gone a long way towards the level of acceptance I've gained. So, when it comes to a dress code, if no one complains, then you can go ahead and wear what you feel, and what feels right to you! :-D