Cowboy boots - not a good feedback

flavio

Hello everybody

After that crazy costume party that I went in my 5 inch stilleto boots and had a lot of great feedbacks, I have to remember all the time that was a costume party.

I decided to buy a pair of man's cowboy boots for me.

Here they are:

Posted Image

As you can see, they are perfectly regular cowboy boots and sold in the store as shoes for men.

They have 4cm heels (about 1 1/2 inch) and square toeboxes.

I started to wear them regularly, in public, aways with jeans, since the boots are Wrangler ones, a jeans fashion store here.

No problem at all in public, anyway, I received some bad feedback from my wife's family. Her brother, when saw the boots, asked me "are you wearing boooooots?" which I promptly replied "well, what are looking at?" and he started to give a suspect smile... her grandmother, smiling, asked "where is the hat and the belt?" talking about the usual cowboy atire.

Well, as you can see, brazilian people use to put down anyone that wants to be a little bit different, can you imagine about real high heels?

Just letting you know... I needed to talk to you about it. Sorry for beeing so sad.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

If they're Brazilian, why not ask them where their big feathery headdresses and thong bikinis are? It's racist and stereotypical but they started it!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I wear Western belts most of the time, not just with boots. I have three pairs of cowboy boots and a number of shirts, varying from plain to fancy. They are quite common around here. Also have a hat, which I don't wear except in costume for dancing. Lots of people do wear them, though, and they attract no attention at all. Quite a number of western wear stores around here, and I know the people who own one. That's California for you.

Forgot to say that if someone said that to me, I would say they are at home, and that I would wear them next time! If it wasn't in a nasty way, anyway, and maybe even if it was.

....snip....

No problem at all in public, anyway, I received some bad feedback from my wife's family. Her brother, when saw the boots, asked me "are you wearing boooooots?" which I promptly replied "well, what are looking at?" and he started to give a suspect smile... her grandmother, smiling, asked "where is the hat and the belt?" talking about the usual cowboy atire.

Well, as you can see, brazilian people use to put down anyone that wants to be a little bit different, can you imagine about real high heels?

Just letting you know... I needed to talk to you about it. Sorry for beeing so sad.

Flavio mi amigo! :wink: Good to see you are still around.

Are you sure they weren't just teasing you? I've been teased by a co-worker who saw me wearing stiletto pumps. But teasing is all he was doing..."busting my chops" as we Americans might say.

EDIT: I think you could actually make quite a style statement with those boots! With some straight cut or skinny jeans, a graphic print t-shirt, an unbuttoned oxford shirt over the tshirt with the sleeves rolled up, some sunglasses and you'd look killer.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I have a couple pair of cowboy boots and bolo ties, and consider them "dress" clothes. I wore them to church today. I had one pair modified to have about 3" heels on them. The only comment I got from anyone sofar was from my dad: "hey, are those GIRLS boots?" I said: "Yep, do you want a pair?" Poor old dad has Alzheimer's, and is in a home. That has been the ONLY comment in wearing them for over a year. I would like to see how high I could build up the heels and not have anyone notice. Samheels

I lived in Tucson Arizona for a while and there you'd have been mocked for NOT wearing cowboy boots.

Yeah, I here ya.... Ended up buying two pair (Brown and Black) of Cowboy boots 20 years ago when I was in Tucson for just 18 months. My Tony Lamas with a 2 inch riding heel are still the most comfy shoes I own, though I don't wear them enough anymore. Still have both pair in the closet. I actually owned a zipp up ankle cowboy boot before that that I had modified with a 2-1/2 inch heel. That I eventually had to through out because of wear.

Forgot to say that if someone said that to me, I would say they are at home, and that I would wear them next time! If it wasn't in a nasty way, anyway, and maybe even if it was.

My thoughts exactly. I always carry an extra pair of heels in my car, boots and shoes so I would just say,"be right back" . You know the rest of the story.

real men wear heels

Hi, flavio - I don't see anything at all wrong with those boots. The harnessing adds an interesting detail, the snip toe looks smart, and they have a little bit of rise in the heel. I know a couple of guys who wear cowboy boots daily as their regular footwear -- if I saw either of them in boots like those I would take a second glance because I would be thinking "nice boots". Maybe things are different in Brazil but around here anybody could wear those anywhere! Maybe your in-laws need to loosen up a little.

Have a happy time!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, many thanks to everything you said in your posts! Of course people here are the way you're talking about et.al. But I don't get any chance of making those in laws (and even real relatives) different. They are the way they are, as I want them to think about me. Of course I didn't stop wearing those boots, but I prefer to not wear them when in their company. It's absolutelly not necessary. Many thanks to kneehighs! Yes, it's very possible to make _great_ looks with those boots. Just to let you know, I have no problems wearing them everywere here but her family.

flavio Have you ever visited The Face Hunter fashion blog? He's popular around the world for the pictures he takes of people on the streets.

In January of 2007 he visited Brazil and took some great pics of some remarkable men in traditional feminine shoes: knee boots and even pumps.

It actually reminded me of you. How the challenges you face in the macho driven Latin culture are different than the ones I face up here in the Melting Pot.

Nice to see you around the forums. :wink:

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

flavio Have you ever visited The Face Hunter fashion blog? He's popular around the world for the pictures he takes of people on the streets.

I never visited that blog.

Very interesting to know the blogger was in Brazil. The time he was here was a few days ago, in the yearly SPFW - Sao Paulo Fashion Week.

Fashion Weeks here are well knowns as the best expositions of new tendencies in the fashion market.

In January of 2007 he visited Brazil and took some great pics of some remarkable men in traditional feminine shoes: knee boots and even pumps.

The use of Boots for men are a tendency for the next winter (that in Brazil is in June). I saw a lot of trademarks showing up kneehigh boots for men in the way. I just have one remark: they are low heeled... better, no heels at all.

It actually reminded me of you. How the challenges you face in the macho driven Latin culture are different than the ones I face up here in the Melting Pot.

Unfortunatelly the guy you saw in boots in the pictures is wearing a boot without heels, and the guy with pumps, there is not heeled too, they call it "rasteirinhas" in portuguese.

Just one remark: those guys are no examples for the "machos" here. They are, I'm completely sure, gay.

Many thanks for the link my friend!

Just one remark: those guys are no examples for the "machos" here. They are, I'm completely sure, gay.

Bisexual, gay or straight- who cares? But don't assume the sexual orientation only judging by the look! You're starting to use that old stereotypes that are IMHO worth a bucketload of crap. I'm really skeptical towards the "gaydar" phenomenon unless I clearly see that a bloke is sexually interested in another men (yet they can be bisexual and be turned on by women too).

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

Bisexual, gay or straight- who cares? But don't assume the sexual orientation only judging by the look! You're starting to use that old stereotypes that are IMHO worth a bucketload of crap. I'm really skeptical towards the "gaydar" phenomenon unless I clearly see that a bloke is sexually interested in another men (yet they can be bisexual and be turned on by women too).

Sorry if my comment anoyed you, Elegant.

First, I don't care about sexual orientation at all. Some of my best friends are homossexual.

What I wanted to say in my post was that those guys are real, famous and assumed gays, and our society in Brazil (I don't care about what the society thinks and says too) discriminate them.

If you look the pictures in the blog, you'll see that the shoes they are wearing are flats. The hole look is very girly, what I really don't like for myself.

I'm a straight guy that likes just heeled shoes.

We, heel lovers in Brazil, are afraid of going to the streets and beeing discriminated and even injuried by closed minds. It is very different of what you know in some other coutries.

Sorry again to anoy you, it wasn't my intention.

Good to know that you show up your face in the avatar.

Oh, it's not MY face. It's a Jitrois campaign pic... I found this one really gorgeous and chose it as my avatar. Oh yeah, I wish I was that model :wink:. BTW. Don't you have anti-discrimination laws in Constitution etc.? I think that if someone insults/ attacks you (touch wood!), you sue them and the court proves that was a sign of homophobia or other prejudice, people may become more disciplined with regards to their intolerance.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks, I wanted to bring this thread back after sometime. I had three more experiences between my in laws when in cowboy boots. Wearing the same boots that started this thread, I wanted to test my mother-in-law. One friday I was at work with my boots and my wife called me to invite me for a dinner at her mom. I said fine, let's go there. That was a very cold day and I completed the look with a leather jacket (everybody wears them here, no problem at all). When I arrived there she didn't even look to my boots. Ok, next move. One sunday we went out for lunch and shopping in a large mall here in Sao Paulo. This time I weared my boots intentionally (and I was in a mood for it). 4 in laws (women) total. No glances or comments. Yesterday (sunday): time to lunch at mother-in-law home. Cowboy boots again. When having some conversation lately, she looked down, looked up and quick down again. Comment of the day "the little boots Flavio is wearing, I can't describe them". And she was clearly not approving it. Five lessons from this experience: - Don't wear my cowboy boots around my in-laws again. - People REALLY don't use to look at other's people feet regularly, she took 3 weeks to realize what was my footware. - I hate my mother-in-law's shoes, but never said it to her, someday will be a good time to do it. - Closed minded people exists everywere, even when you thing they're not (this one is important). - People tend to think that their taste should be everybody's (this one happens even here in this very forum). Good to share this with you all!

Five lessons from this experience:

- Don't wear my cowboy boots around my in-laws again.

Wear your cowboy boots around them again. They'll get used to them eventually. Just be yourself! 8).

Yesterday (sunday): time to lunch at mother-in-law home. Cowboy boots again. When having some conversation lately, she looked down, looked up and quick down again. Comment of the day "the little boots Flavio is wearing, I can't describe them". And she was clearly not approving it.

There's only one way to describe your mother in law; RUDE. Her comments say a lot more about her than they do about you. Whether you stop wearing them or not though is up to you. It's your family, and your relationship with them is tied up with your relationship with your wife, so there's a lot to consider.

Thanks again for all your remarks and supportive messages. Of course they're my family now and I have to assume my place in their lifestyle. I was really upset about her comments but I like her a lot. My wife is very supportive in my really high heels passion since they're inside four walls. My cowboy boots are just a way to use some low heels on the street and I like the style too. Maybe is not necessary to prove anything to anybody and keep the shoestyle out of family relations. Otherwise, should be good to mark my style and character to everybody. It is something to think a lot about. time will tell.

I would say wear the bootys round your inlaws again. Maybe those boots or ones with higher heels 2 or 3 inches. If she makes a comment just ignore it. Or perhaps compliment her on her appearance or her shoes. If she says something bad, pay her a compliment in return. By wearing the boots you reinforce your individual style. By being nice to her you will show up how bad and rude her comments are. She can't win this scenario.

All this over a pair of male looking cowboy boots! Sheesh, you'd think the world was gonna end. Flavio, don't listen to your mum in law. She dunno nothing. I've seen guys wearing those type of boots all the time.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

HeelD, that's why it is so difficult to find confidence and courage for street heeling in Brazil. People here seems to be ignorant about other countrie's fashion, even beeing designed for men, can't say what happens for fashion designed for women. Note that a man wearing scotish kilts are considered to much "freak" around here. People on other latin countries seems to have the same problem. Is there anyone that can say something about it?

Latin America still has very traditional/conservative views, especially regarding men and womens' roles in society. The fact that religion is still very central in most peoples' lives there influences their whole outlook in life where anything a bit abnormal is forbidden. It's basically the same case in any place with conservative views, not just in Latin America. A man wearing a kilt would be considered abnormal in most places in the Western/Developing world. The question is, in how many of these places would you be harrassed for wearing a kilt? Regardless, I'm sure there are places in Latin america that are more open/liberal where you could go street heeling without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have mid heeled (7 cm ) cowboy boots and i wear this with a long jeans and i find this is very discretly , ,, ,,

Yes, I'm wearing also this style on the street. Cowboy boots are in my opinion always male boots! I believed always that brazilian people are tolerant in fashion. Only an illusion?

I said in another thread that I have switched one gear back for not provocating my turkish neighbours without need. Since one year I have never again earned any bad comment from my turkish macho guys when I was wearing my 8-cm-cowboy/cowgirl boots. Seems that they have simply accepted that their "pansy guy" is wearing high heeled boots on the street. Or are they even secretely jealous on me?

At the moment peace is ruling.

The best fashion is your own fashion!