Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Reece - Pumped has it exactly right. Most shoe stores are glad for a sale and dont care who they are selling to. You wont be the first guy they have seen trying on heels. Relax, take your time, and enjoy the experience.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I too find Payless to be great. Actually anywhere I have tried any on I always find the associates to be very helpful, esp the female associates. All have been very interested in helping me and I think they find it interesting. And yes, you won't be the first guy to be doing it.

I was 14 when I bought my first pair from Payless. I was too scared and made up a stupid story. Like everyone else has said, go in there like you have been doing it your whole life. I wish that had become confortable with trying on heels in the store back then and not another 10 years later.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Thanks for the advice, i'll try and pluck up the courage to do it, if i have any last minute doubts i'll talk to you guys if thats okay? ( also i have a pair of tights to get a better fit aswell!! ). lifes much better now i have people to turn to about this, Thanks again!! Reece

Yea, found out I wasted time creating a back story before buying my first pair at age 16. Do not be surprised if you do not get the wrong size your first tries.

(formerly known as "JimC")

The first pair I got was also at payless, but I've also had good luck finding low prices at Ross or Marshals. The only time I have worked with sales people to get fitted have been for wedge heel sneakers, which I wish I had back in school. No real drama there, except one sales guy seemed a bit more surprised when I wanted to try them on first. I recomend the Nike wedges :)

(formerly known as "JimC")

I can tell you from experience Reece - all the problems you have with wearing high heels are your own. The demons are in your head, not in anyone elses. At the end of the day, they are your feet and you can put anything you like on them. You're young, start now, be a leader not a follower. If someone laughs at you for your fasion choices, be confident, smile, and go on with your day. They are the one's trying to bully you into 'their' fashion. You are you, and have your own style, and should be proud of it. Don't let high heels be a weakness, make them a strength. Then people won't laugh, they'll compliment you.

Mike

It has never been a big deal for me at all! Having a big influence on fashion and of Music has made wearing heels a piece of cake. Try walking into the store with heels on, it would make it easier for you when buying heels. Having a feminine apperance or figure makes it easier too, but not a requirement. Don't be ashamed to dress the way you want to! I've spent years trying to imoress other people. The only person you can impress is yourself. Let us know how you make out! PS- higher end shoe stores will treat you better than going into a department store looking like a crossdresser. What it comes down to, there are no gender lines in high fashion.

Thanks again for the support, i love being able to speak about this so openly. Just wondering how old were you when you first brought a pair in a shoe store? What was it like?, what happened? I would really love to know so I can get a rough idea on what I'm in for!! Thanks again!!!! :-)

Hi, Reece, Everyone here has given you great advice. Be a good actor, practice your lines, maintain good posture, and don't let your voice falter. Confidence is the name of the game, and if you act confidently (even though you're shaking in your high heel boots), you own the scene. Sales people are there to help you, so don't hesitate to get them involved if you need help. They need your money and should do what they can to serve you. But it's YOUR money, so spend it wisely. Only buy items you're sure of. Any doubt, walk away (and say thanks). I was a college kid when I first bought heels. I went to a K-mart and bought a pair of hh sandals I liked. I put it in my cart with other stuff and paid for it at check-out, just like I was a customer (well?). And they treated me just like I was a customer, too! Amazing! It gets easier every time after that, and today I really look forward to shoe shopping in stores. Steve

Thanks Steve, I'll keep you all up to date on what happens. I've heard a few people say that they wish they could have plucked up the courage sooner! I don't want to feel like this 10 years later. So I will do it at my own pace in my own time!! :-)

It will get easier! I wear my heels around my parents, they hate them! I don't care! I've got to be me. Try to find the right outfits to go with the heels. Just realise that men wore heels long before women ever did. That was 400 years ago. Why not now?

My first buy, I was 13 or 14, in the early 1970's. Rode my bike to the local Goodwill and spent some time finding a nice pair of white patent knee-high boots with a block heel around 2", think drum majorette. I really don't remember if I tried them on or not, I might have since the shoes were in a dark corner in the back. I put them where I could grab them easily and spent 15 minutes milling around, waiting for the cash register line to be completely clear. When I saw my chance, a grabbed them and dashed... no, strolled -don't want to attract attention- up to the register. Just as I got there a lady stepped out from the side ahead of me with a gigantic armload of stuff. Of course it took her forever to check out. And there I stood a wimpy kid with a guilty look on his face, holding only a pair of "girl boots". Soon a young couple was in line behind me and they were snickering and pointing. :penitent: I went through with it, and got a lot of miles out of those boots. It has gotten easier every time since. Earlier this week I was in Shoe Dept in a mall, trying on a pair of 4" stiletto mid calf bright red boots with fur trim and a huge gold buckle. Really gaudy christmas party boots. I had to take off the calf length black block heeled boots I wore into the store. A guy customer came around the corner in front of me and gave me a double take with an extra stare on the side. I smiled as if I didn't care, which was really easy because I didn't, then I lifted my leg to show off the boots and continued about my business. He gave me a thumbs up and nudged the woman with him, who stepped around the post for a better look. She complimented them and they both continued about their shopping. Two down, a gazillion to go. Unfortunately I left those boots in the store, for the same reason that they were still trying to clear them out, When the heck would I wear them?

Good news sometime next week (which is in mid term break) I will be going into Town and definitely trying on a pair or two or three, hahaha. Perhaps even buying a pair :-D! You guys will be the first to know when I have chosen the date to go and try on some in Public!! Can't wait but really nervous :-| Just thought i'd say you guys have really inspired me and motivated me, I can see you guys are gonna be a big influence in my High Heel life! And I just wanna say Thank You!! :-)

Like a lot of others here, I also tried on my first pair of women's shoes when I was a teen. Just always liked the look and feel of women's shoes. You will be nervous at first but age and experience will make things easier with time. In the last two days I have purchased two pairs of women's shoes from two different stores (a pair of clogs and a pair of sandals). I went in the store, looked around saw the shoes I liked and tried them on. In one store the staff saw me but left me alone, the other store the clerk was very friendly and helpful (I told her I was looking for some gals shoes / sandals for me), even offering suggestions of styles that I may like. Bottom line, you just have to get out and do it. Good luck and most of all have fun!! sf P.S. Steve63130 has some good advice...

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

You may be less nervous going at a time when the store is less busy (when it first opens or just before closing). Some stores have the shoes out in pairs and in various sizes, so you can try them on witthout having to ask for your size (be warned thought sizes can vary from store to store and dependding on the style).

If you get there and change your mind about trying them on ask if the store does gift reciepts. This way it looks like you are buying them as a gift. You could then try them at home and if they don't fit take them back for a different size.

you should buy a pair if you find the right model and it fits, odont rush it (thats hard when youre nervious, but make an effort) and be sure to share your experiencehere, that always encourages somenoe else.

The first pair I bought happen when I was between 12-15years old. I just remember it was when I was in junior high so had to be around that age. It was close to my mom birthday so when we were at the mall I asked to split up so I can shop for her present and the keys to the car so I could put it in the car without her seeing it. Once I broke away from her I immediately went to payless and got some shoes that I thought would fit. They were kinda of ugly in retrospect but at the time payless didn't have cute shoes in the larger sizes. I put those in the car then started shopping for her present.

I didn't start wearing heels until I was in my mid-twenties. Now I'm 41. I started out with goth looking platform boots and then gradually, the heels started getting higher and skinnier. Not I don't hide them completely under flare pants. Sometimes I do because I like the look of long legs. I like high heel boots mostly. I have a few pairs if pumps, but with not much toe cleavage. Now heels are just an everyday thing. They're just a pleasure to wear. They also make your legs look awesome. Fashion is fashion. I doesn't matter what gender you are, I like to think I'm breaking down the boundries of what people are supposed to look like or how the public perceives them.

I stopped at Payless yesterday, found a pair of ankle boots with 4" heel on clearance for $20, regularly $50. They were brown. I tried them on and was standing there looking at the rest of the 13's when I saw the exact same pair in black also on clearance. BOGO = 2 pair of boots for $30. I take off the boots, put them in the box and carried both pairs up to the counter. The girl said, "Are these a surprise for someone or..." I said, "He already knows he's buying them." She said, "Wow that is so cool. I get so many guys with so many excuses. Do you cross dress or what?" I said, "No, well, I guess from the waist down. I love heels!" We chatted for a while, it was a good time. And since I was wearing boring mens shoes at the time I asked her if she minded if I wore them out of the store. No problem! I put them on, left the store, did a lap around the mall (indoor mall) and went to my truck and left. Very cool experience.

post-755-0-24505300-1360676956_thumb.jpg

Mike

It depends on the store. I picked out a nice lady at dillards and that is the only One me and my wife try to deal with. I was paying for a pair one day and just came Out and said, "you know these are for me". I have not tried any on in front of her. Usually It is too busy in there. There was this "goth" looking chick at wild pair years ago. I asked her if I could try on shoes In back. She got me a chair in the stock room. Self serve places I will usually try them on. People will have to pay to this man try on Ladies shoes.

Hey Guys i'm going into Town tomorrow!! To find a few pairs of Heels, can't wait but really nervous. I mean super nervous, like the most nervous i've ever been. Any advice/tips so i don't chicken out! Thanks in Advance :-)

Hey Guys i'm going into Town tomorrow!! To find a few pairs of Heels, can't wait but really nervous. I mean super nervous, like the most nervous i've ever been. Any advice/tips so i don't chicken out!

Thanks in Advance :-)

Be calm, be cool, act like what you're doing is no big deal, and, to be honest, it's not. All you're doing is buying shoes, something millions of people all over the world do each and every day. What difference should it make that you're buying shoes from the women's side of the aisle, you're someone willing to spend good money on something you want, so relax and, more importantly, have fun on your shopping trip.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!