Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

eitherway the shoes are on their way, and i am sad i didn't get to try them on :silly:

One feature about sandals is that they are fairly "forgiving" when it comes to fitting to the "correct" size. I have several pair of sandals that I wear during warmer weather and most of them have adjustable straps that when shortened to fit a "smaller" foot or lengthened to fit the larger foot. I don't mean to permit the insertion of a foot that is a couple of sizes too large. Just 1/2 size or perhaps a size larger or smaller. This takes the "sting" out of finding just the right pair of sandals and not being able to wear them because they are slightly too large or small.

So, while I understand your disappointment in not being able to try your new sandals on before you bought them, I think, if the sandals are crafted within reasonable tolerances given to size variation, they will fit you like they were custom made especially for you. I really like the sandals you've selected, by the way. :winkiss:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi Saturn, I went to asda tonight to buy some mens shoes, and as all the shoes are together now I had a look at the clearance hh boots, I fell in love with these 3and1/2" heel pull on brown boots, and as I know George size 8 uk fit like a glove, I bought them! £10 what a bargain! This is the first time I have bought myself (GF usually gets them for me) allthough I didn't try them on (I knew the would fit) no-one gave me a second look and I confidently paid and walked out! I'm really getting more confidence from people like you on this site, and would like to thank each and everyone! Kind regards and happy heeling, Jim.

Guess since I'm new at this i havent got my confidence level up yet but I did engage the clerk at the store in a little conversation and told her the heels i was buying were for me, then she went on to tell me her boyfriend liked wearing heels also, guess I'll be going back to that store:smile:

wow, i have no idea you guys have that much confidence

i need to build that up if i want to try on heels while shopping

I definitely understand where you are on the confidence thing hhdude, I had (and still have) those same queasy and nervous feelings whenever I'm trying on heels. I remember one experience where I was in payless trying on shoes and the sales girl got really excited seeing me and told me she "had a purse that would go great with those!" and ran to find it. Most people don't care, I'll agree with the others, but that doesn't stop the feelings of nervousness. Just keep at it and you'll be alright!

Today was a first for me... I looked at heels in a big store with other people around. They had racks of different size shoes.. I went to the 11 and 12 area and looked. They had a lot of shoes, but nothing I liked. There was a Mom and her teenage daughter in the same aisle, but I looked anyway. I think only the girl noticed I was looking at heels. I might have tried some on if there were some I liked. I'm working at it... phew

Yesterday, I went to a store where I saw a style that I liked since I am searching for something I can wear on a daily basis. The store was rather packed with people, but I wanted to try the shoes since I know that the sizes really vary. (I would have posted a pic but couldn't find out how) Even though I am streetheeling now for almost a year I was really nervous about trying them on and I am wondering when this nervousness will eventually disappear :winkiss:. I really admire the confidence level of some of you guys! -softmover

If you are nervous with trying on heels in a store, having your wife, girl friend aor any female along with you helps ease the anxiety. For some reason people are more inclined to pay less attention to a couple than they are to a man looking at heels by himself.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I found a lovely pair of knee high boots in a branch of Tesco(uk supermarket) once size 8. It was quite quiet in store at the time and I just had to try them on. I took them across to the mens clothing area of the store and tried one on. But could i get it off....what a struggle. almost fell over in my desperation to get the boof off my foot . embarrasing at the time, but can laugh about it now (didnt buy the boots anyway!!) dawn

Re my previous post. I have phoned round and found another (local) branch of Aldo where the staff are moe than happy to allow me to try the boots on away from the shop floor!

Cant wait to get the Volpert boots!!

Would anyone be interested in seeing a few pictures of me wearing them when they arrive???

:winkiss:

I would love them boots but I take UK8 and theres lots of different sizes that are not the same! I think Aldo size 10 would be too small (USA size)asda george size 8 (uk) fit good!

There's always the scenario of the guy who is borderline on the biggest street size. Say 42/43 or so. In that case you are just going to buy the 41 or whatever they do, and make it fit at home by modification. In that case there is not much point trying on in the shop. But I'd still reckon if you shopped wearing heels it would smooth the process.

What do you guys think?

The only problem I see with this, as with street walking, is that you could potentially invite yourself to be physically harassed. Even though I'm in Canada I still feel that could potentially happen.

The only problem I see with this, as with street walking, is that you could potentially invite yourself to be physically harassed. Even though I'm in Canada I still feel that could potentially happen.

I think there is always the possibility of being physically harassed while wearing heels. A guy who has the confidence to wear heels is a threat to the status quo that many men with scabs on their knuckles from dragging the ground embrace so dearly. The only thing is that I have yet to be in a shopping situation such as a mall or shoe store where I have felt threatened physically. I am always on guard for such an occasion, but other than the occasional dirty look, giggle, or shocked reaction, I have never felt that physical harm is a real possibility.

My suggestion is that you choose any are to heel with great care before you go do it. Since many of us are regular shoe shoppers, we should have ideas where to go shopping while weaing heels.

Style is built from the ground up!

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a first for me... I looked at heels in a big store with other people around.

They had racks of different size shoes.. I went to the 11 and 12 area and looked. They had a lot of shoes, but nothing I liked. There was a Mom and her teenage daughter in the same aisle, but I looked anyway. I think only the girl noticed I was looking at heels.

I might have tried some on if there were some I liked.

I'm working at it... phew

Next time, try on something you don't like. Grab the most dowdy, off-putting shoe you can find, slip it on, look at how embarrassing it is -- this way, you've now tried something on, you can say you've done it, and you won't walk out with it anyway. Then when you see something you like, you may be more inclined to see how it works for you :winkiss:

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Hi I've been reading this thread for a while before i could post on here myself. I read some of these posts and sit here in ore you guys must have nerves and other things of steel. It was after reading things on here that made me think about getting some boots i could wear out one day. So the friday i was off work i left my alarm on to get up at 5:20am ( grown :clap: ) with the plan of buying some from our local 24hr ASDA. So just before 6am i go in head upstairs to the shoes and Dam theres people milling about ( might try 4am next time! ) so i kinda walk past the knee high boots i like at high speed trying to clock where the size/colour i want is. After doing this a few times i go for it and i cant find my size Then my nerve goes :silly: . One more try i think so i head over once more i still cant find my size .But worse yes yet to come....................... I turn around and see the two store guards that normally stand by the doors have come up to the first floor to see what this guy/nutter/all round strange person is up to (to be honest i can see how i might have looked strange or like i was trying to steal ) I just wanted to die :winkiss: i went the same colour as the bright red jacket with the company i work fors name on wished them both a "Good morning" and pretty much ran out of the store. I think if there was ever a guide of "How not to shop for heels " that would be in there. I hope i posted this in the right place but needless to say i wont be buying any heels from a shop near here never mind trying them on for along time. I hope i made sence there its been along day......

It's all in the mind. One day in an exotic boutique, I tried on several pairs of high heels in front of four men. I wore the pair I bought out of the store in front of those men and it didn't bother me a bit. I loved the high heels, how they looked and felt, and I loved showing them off with my outfit.

Hi

I've been reading this thread for a while before i could post on here myself. I read some of these posts and sit here in ore you guys must have nerves and other things of steel. It was after reading things on here that made me think about getting some boots i could wear out one day. So the friday i was off work i left my alarm on to get up at 5:20am ( grown :clap: ) with the plan of buying some from our local 24hr ASDA. So just before 6am i go in head upstairs to the shoes and Dam theres people milling about ( might try 4am next time! ) so i kinda walk past the knee high boots i like at high speed trying to clock where the size/colour i want is. After doing this a few times i go for it and i cant find my size Then my nerve goes :silly: . One more try i think so i head over once more i still cant find my size .But worse yes yet to come.......................

I turn around and see the two store guards that normally stand by the doors have come up to the first floor to see what this guy/nutter/all round strange person is up to (to be honest i can see how i might have looked strange or like i was trying to steal ) I just wanted to die :winkiss: i went the same colour as the bright red jacket with the company i work fors name on wished them both a "Good morning" and pretty much ran out of the store. I think if there was ever a guide of "How not to shop for heels " that would be in there. I hope i posted this in the right place but needless to say i wont be buying any heels from a shop near here never mind trying them on for along time. I hope i made sence there its been along day......

dont let one bad experience put you off,if you want to buy a pair of boots you do that

you probably brought more attention to yourself walking up and down etc than if you had just walked up had a look got what you wanted and walked away.

believe it or not it would be easier when the shop is busy.

in asda or tesco when they are busy people are too wrapped up in their own shopping to notice.

ive been into both wearing skinny jeans and overknee boots and nobody batted an eyelid.

the trick is be confident and remember you are doing nothing wrong

better luck next time

I have never tried boots on in a shop, but finding the style that I want locally is not an easy task either.....I have been into many an outlet over a number of years and bought many pairs....and to start off with would agree that it is not an easy thing to do.....but "repetition is the mother of skill" so you just have to keeping on going out there and your confidence will grow with every purchase, the people in the shops are there to sell the products....not judge the customer....akin with "street heeling" its your mind playing tricks with you...they are not going to assume that you are buying for yourself....they are just selling one more pair to yet one more customer.....I have never had a problem or off colour comment in the 30 years that I have been buying boots...never really given much thought to trying them on in the shop...never felt the need....if they don't fit...which happens so rarely it is not a problem I take them back and ask for the next size up or down.

Anyway don't loose heart Hiline....just try again...and believe me...nobody is watching or judging you....thats all in the mind.....you are just buying a product the same as if it were a Compact Disc, Box of Teabags or a Newspaper.....I wish you luck on your next try

:winkiss:

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went to a Bandolino store in the mall. I likely would not have gone there but for the mentions by HappyFeat in his discussions of heeling and where he goes to shop and try on shoes. I selected a few pairs and asked the clerk if she had them in an 11 or 12. They didn;t carry 12's, but she said she likely had them in an 11. She did state that in the larger sizes, they usually only get one or two pair in a shipment. When she brought them out, I said I would need to try them on assuming she had no problem with that. She said fine, and handed me a pair of footies. When I asked if I was the first guy to try on shes, she said no, there is another guy that works in the mall that comes in quite regularly (I should have asked where he worked, I could have looked him up!). I tried on the first three she brought out as well as one additional request, and did buy a pair. Thankfully, the store was empty, as I really am not into doing that in a busy shop in my home territory. Anyway, all went well, and I'm sure she will sell me additional shoes in the future.

...When I asked if I was the first guy to try on shes, she said no, there is another guy that works in the mall that comes in quite regularly (I should have asked where he worked, I could have looked him up!). ...

Ironically, when I first went to the Bandolino store that I frequent, I asked about other guys trying on/buying shoes at the store. The store manager told me there was a guy who "bought all of his shoes" from Bandolino and she did tell me where he worked in the mall. I went to look for him while heeling and never had any luck finding him. But it is a very good thought!

Style is built from the ground up!

Ironically, when I first went to the Bandolino store that I frequent, I asked about other guys trying on/buying shoes at the store. The store manager told me there was a guy who "bought all of his shoes" from Bandolino and she did tell me where he worked in the mall. I went to look for him while heeling and never had any luck finding him. But it is a very good thought!

How interesting! Wonder if all malls have at least one guy that wears heels??? lol!
  • Like 1

How interesting! Wonder if all malls have at least one guy that wears heels??? lol!

I think most places which carry size 11 US or higher heels would see their fair share of guys making off with the larger sizes.

• Like 1

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.