Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

UPDATE:

Finally, I did not buy the "Atlanticcity" model (too narrow) but I did try (for the first time) a pair of boot in the store (Aldo) and I decided to buy them. There was only 2 customers in store and I was very nervous. But I will do it again for sure...

See picture below.

Good for you Daniel!!! You did it! Even with customers in the store. Wow! The boots that you picked are a very nice choice. Hope you enjoy them.

UPDATE:

Finally, I did not buy the "Atlanticcity" model (too narrow) but I did try (for the first time) a pair of boot in the store (Aldo) and I decided to buy them. There was only 2 customers in store and I was very nervous. But I will do it again for sure...

See picture below.

Well done you :w00t2:

Great choice of boots too. Did you wear them from the store?

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

Here's the link, for those wanting to see some different views: http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/women/boots/dress-fashion/71741148-flolorn

Lousy webpage though, no measurements at all. Guessing, I'd say about a 4 1/4" heel with a 1/2 heel.

danielp6406, any more details from trying them on? Did you get any looks from the customers, or comment from a sales agent? Did you just sit down and try them on, or did you also walk around the store?

Do you plan on wearing them out, if so with what clothing (ie. regular length pants, or longer ones for concealment)?

I give you a lot of credit for going into a women-only shore store and actually trying on shoes there. The most I've done so far is Payless and DSW, where they have men's shoes I can pretend to browse thru.

Jwhite, The FloLorn boots have between a 4.5" and 5" (from sizes 36-42) heel, all with a hidden 1/2" platform. Very nice boot. The reason they can't list the heel height is Aldo shoes keep the angle of the lift the same between sizes, meaning differing heel height. The Tequila sandals (my favorite Aldo shoe) I own have a 5.5" heel with a 3/4" plat. A size 36 (I'm a 41 in Aldo) would have about a 5" heel... Also, all the Aldo's I've ever been in also have men's shoes too.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

mrhiheelz :-)

Yes, I enjoy them a lot. Was not able to resist buying them :lmao:

loswabs :-)

No, I did not wear them from the store. I am not at that "stage" yet...:)

But I did wear the boots you see in my avatar out of the beauty salon for

a halloween party on November 1 (and it was very nice wearing them in public)

Fortunately, no one recognized me all dressed up leaving the salon :w00t2:

It was a lot of fun too (Men and women were dressed the opposite gender)

jwhite44 :-)

Exact heel measurement: 4-3/4" at the back of heel and 3/4" platform.

Both customer looked at me but said nothing (one of them smiled)

The sales girl said they looked nice and were comfortable (I agree !)

She was very nice. I even tried another pair of boot but shaft was a

little bit too narrow at the ankle (Too bad, they were very nice too !)

I sat down to try them on then walked to the mirror a few feet away.

I did not walk around the store. I wore them at work on Monday with

no reaction from co-workers (They are accustomed to see me in heels ;-))

I was wearing women's blue jean straight leg with heel fully exposed.

BTW, the ALDO stores also have men's shoes and boots.

Stilettoscot :-)

Can you post a picture (or link) of your Tequila sandals from Aldo ?

Are they a current model ?

Hi there, I have gained confidence from this forum over the past year and finally thought I would go to a shop and try my heels on before I brought them.

I have had my eye on a pair of Volpert boots from Aldo (very sexy) for a while, so I phoned Aldo yesterday to see if they stocked a size 9. The helpful sales person said they could get me the boots in - had a very pleasant chat about other styles they had in, they seemed really interested, asking what it was about the Volpert boot I liked (I love the zip up the back of the boots - just looks great!) Anyway, then I asked if there was any where off the shop floor I could try the boots on as I said I would not feel comfortable with a load of idiots gawping at me. She said unfortunately not, but suggested I could buy them and go to the public toilets to try them on!! Really, a £120 pair of boots - I am not going to put them on in a grotty public loo!! I was really dissapointed to be honest.

Has anyone else had a simlar experience or do yuo have any suggestions??

Thanks!!

:w00t2:

Hi there, I have gained confidence from this forum over the past year and finally thought I would go to a shop and try my heels on before I brought them.

I have had my eye on a pair of Volpert boots from Aldo (very sexy) for a while, so I phoned Aldo yesterday to see if they stocked a size 9. The helpful sales person said they could get me the boots in - had a very pleasant chat about other styles they had in, they seemed really interested, asking what it was about the Volpert boot I liked (I love the zip up the back of the boots - just looks great!) Anyway, then I asked if there was any where off the shop floor I could try the boots on as I said I would not feel comfortable with a load of idiots gawping at me. She said unfortunately not, but suggested I could buy them and go to the public toilets to try them on!! Really, a £120 pair of boots - I am not going to put them on in a grotty public loo!! I was really dissapointed to be honest.

Has anyone else had a simlar experience or do yuo have any suggestions??

Thanks!!

:lmao:

Go to the shop and try them on there. You may well attract some glances from other shoppers and even the odd side-ways comment from a bone head to their poor, unfortunate and probably bigoted companion. What you won't get is thrown out or ridiculed by the staff. Your money is as good as the next persons. Treat any idiotic attention as exactly that. It's the idiots who have the problem, not you. Enjoy the thrill of the experience!!

Good luck :w00t2:

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

The biggest reason for trying the darn things on in the store is that if they don't fit right, then you have to bring them back. I was in Burlington Coat Factory today and tried on a pair of Diba black patent pumps (so so fit), a pair of Nine West red leather pumps (slipped at the heel) and a pair of Diba beige snakeskin strappy sandals was the item that I did buy (and at the bargain price of $9.99)!!

The three pairs were all size 11 and all were a different fit! It sure beats going back to the store to change the items that wouldn't have fit right in the first place..

post-9697-133522873184_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522873188_thumb.jpg

It's all about the heel!

First of all, let me admit that I did not read the entire thread. So I apologize if this topic has already been discussed (and I am almost sure it was).

I just saw this post here in the High Heel Movies section: http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/your_favourite_high_heel_movies/12304-new_shoes.html#post186928

Obviously, this guy is not real and he doesn't do us any favor by doing what he does. However, as this is obviously a secret/hidden camera arrangement that should show reactions of other customers in the store, I am wondering if you guys ever saw such reactions as well when you tried on shoes?

As of my own experience, I only tried shoes on in a store very occasionally and secretly as of now, but I am thinking of becoming more aggressive with that in some Payless stores when I am wearing women's clothes and a wig.

Re my previous post. I have phoned round and found another (local) branch of Aldo where the staff are moe than happy to allow me to try the boots on away from the shop floor! Cant wait to get the Volpert boots!! Would anyone be interested in seeing a few pictures of me wearing them when they arrive??? :w00t2:

The biggest reason for trying the darn things on in the store is that if they don't fit right, then you have to bring them back. I was in Burlington Coat Factory today and tried on a pair of Diba black patent pumps (so so fit), a pair of Nine West red leather pumps (slipped at the heel) and a pair of Diba beige snakeskin strappy sandals was the item that I did buy (and at the bargain price of $9.99)!!

The three pairs were all size 11 and all were a different fit! It sure beats going back to the store to change the items that wouldn't have fit right in the first place..

Size 11! Hmph! I continue to be jealous of you for having such small feet!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Would anyone be interested in seeing a few pictures of me wearing them when they arrive???:w00t2:

Of course please don't hesitate to post some pictures.

This way we will be able to share pictures of us wearing the same boots !

(You have great taste. You will enjoy them as much as I do, I am sure)

• 2 weeks later...

Size 11! Hmph! I continue to be jealous of you for having such small feet!

You and me both, my friend. The amounts available above size 12 seems to be a very scarce quantity indeed. Every once in a while, we'll luck out and get something truly awesome, but most of the time it's slim pickings outside of the stripper varieties.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Jeff,

As we saw during our KOP trip size 11's were in short supply.

We gotta make another trip, maybe after the holiday rush?

rx

Yup! That works for me! Perhaps they'll be a greater variety on the shelves by then.

Had a little time to look for some shoes on Friday, so I stopped in at Shoe Carnival. Unfortunately, I really need a size 12, and there are very, very few in that size. I did find a pair of Nina special occasion type sandals with a rhinestone strap, but given the fact that it is winter with snow and ice everywhere, I wasn;t really thinking sandals right now! I did find several pairs of pumps in size 11 that I did try on. One pair of Nine West sling backs with an open tow did fit halfway decent, but again, the open toe and winter didn't go together at the moment. Tried a pair of tweed and patent heels that might have been wearable but were still tighter than I was willing to deal with, and a really nice pair of plain black leather pumps with a bit thicker heel (a look that I'm starting to like, as I think it does look a bit better on most of us guys with bigger feet and heavier legs! Not the real thick heels however), but these were way too tight and alas, no 12. Also tried a pair of strappy sandals on the clearance rack that were a 12. I probably should have boought those, as they were only $5. Bit again, sandals in winter made me lose my desire! Anyway, no purchases, but I did at least try on 4 pairs in a rather crowded store, but I think I was only seen by one person. No reaction other than a long stare. Of course, my try ons are also brief...I'm not parading up and down the aisle and preening in front of the mirrors! lol.

Aren't they running their BOGO (buy one, get 2nd 50% off sale) now? If so, you'd want to try to buy them before the sale ends. If they don't have them in a local store, you can have them shipped to store for free (assuming they still have your size online).

• 2 weeks later...

Stock in my local store is really slim. Lots of bare shelves.

You can say that again. The offerings above 11 are threadbare at best in the stores I've visited lately. I guess Payless is clearing the decks for the spring and summer offerings.

I use to buy in stores that has a flexible refund policy, but if i can i will try them in the fitting room. I never did it in the open, i dont have the courage to do that, i think it would be very fun but very disapointing if somebody i know would be there and start to make some comments or gossiping about me as this side of me is totally private. Once i tried them in the an adult store, they where hthboots, and they fit me a lttle large for my size, the lady was cheering me up, it felt well, i finally bought them just because i like them and felt so good walking around and the lady giving complements at it even if i know she wanted to make a sale and the size was one size bigger than mine. Once, i bought a pair of very nice boots, but no fitting room, the boots were very expensive but very nice, i was not sure the larger size the had, would fit me so i decided to buy them and tried them in the car, they were so tight and i broke the zipper, then my foot was stock there for at least 15 min i could manage to pull it off, it would be a shamefull moment if i were infront of all the customers hahaha, i guess, since that scene, i wont have the sourage to try them on in public. finally i returned them to the store. For the comments made by the associates, i guess i would prefer to say they are for me, than say is for a gf, since they always know is a lie, so on top of that you like to wear high heels or women shoes, you are a liar that wont be able to admit even doing the act of trying them on public, i guess, is more difficult to try them on than to keep lying...i guess there is no purpose anymore for doing that, and if you are buying but not trying them on, if you are a size over 10 is also better not to lie it wont be a problem to tell the truth to some associate or sales person that is not part of your family.

V. Morpho

I tend of scrutinize the shoes I'm buying. I want to look at them closely, sometimes compariing them with other shoes I own. Because of my size, every shoe tends to fit differently, so I need to get a good idea of how they fit (I have 3 different thickness socks I'll wear depending on the size). I also like to see how they feel and sound on hard surfaces as well as carpeted. All of this I can do easily in the privacy of my home, so it's not worth doing it in the store, even if there was no one else around. I probably would have done it in the adult store I once looked for shoes in, only because it likely could have been more difficult to later do a return. Buying at any other store that has a regular return policy (typically 30 days if no wear on them), the buy & return strategy works for me.

I have done both, but when I can I really try to be at a store that I can try them on, since most boots and shoes fit differently between brands, and one 12 may fit, but another I might need a 12.5 or 13. If you can, try them on, and you will see that most shoe stores are quite positive to that. Hope this helps, TightLevisandHHBoots

What is worse than that is that size varies even within a brand! Some Colin Stuarts fit differently, 9 West too although for me, Steve Madden is the worst; clearly undersized. I've found that if I don't try them on in the store, shame on me as the size variation really can't be ignored (women's US 11). After a while, you get tired of throwing away money or wasting your time going back to the store when you really didn't have to.

It's all about the heel!