Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

I believe that it is true that Payless is man in heels freindly. I am not the only one here that has posted good experiences about Payless. I wonder if their store associates are schooled in dealing with the situation? Would be interested in hearing from a Payless employee some time. And yes, I will go back to try and find that clerk and ask her a few questions. Wish I could go right now! I must admit that I am getting much more comfortable with trying on shoes before I buy. One of these days I'm going to try to get to a Nine West outlet, as they typically have many styles that I like, but their sizes tend to vary quite a bit from shoe to shoe, so trying on is necessary. Also have my eye on a new Bandolino store in te local mall. I'll have to test the waters there as well!

Guess I should post a picture of the shoes I bought. I was looking for something not quite so spikey that I might feel comfortable enough wearing out and about. These seemed to be a decent comprimise, as the heel is a bit thicker though still nearly 4" in a size 11. Unfortunately, I have found that, while the right shoe is a bit snug, my heel pops out of the left when I walk. I'm going to have to get some heel grips if I want to wear them out.

post-99-133522871168_thumb.jpg

Went to Payless yesterday looking for two styles: the American Eagle Delight Buckle Wedge and the Kingman Buckle Moc. The store I went to didn't have either in stock, and when the sales girl asked if I needed help I asked if she had either shoe in a size 11. She offered to see if any other area stores had them - I told her that I had already been to two other stores without luck, but she was welcome to give it a try. She found each shoe in a different size and took them up to the register to scan them - it turned out that a store I hadn't even thought of had them in stock - she printed out a slip showing the inventory at each store - in case anybody's interested there are 23 pair of the Delight available on-line, and 63 pair of the Kingman available on-line. Anyway, she handed me the slips and as I was looking at them I noticed at the bottom of each one the small print: "We appreciate your business, bring this slip with you to receive $3.00 off the purchase of these shoes." So, not only did I find the shoes I was looking for, I got $3.00 off each pair! Not as good as their BOGO sales, but not bad either! By the way - the girl that helped me was very professional, and friendly - she had no problem dealing with a guy looking for heels. In fact at one point she asked if I needed them by a certain date (I think she was trying to find out if I was putting together a Halloween costume) - I told her there was no hurry. Her next comment was really interesting - she said "so it looks like you're looking for something appropriate for a business environment. How would these work?" and she pulled the Judy Round Toe Pump off the shelf. I had actually been looking at those as well, but all they had in size 11 was a brown pair, and I prefer black. Anyway - sorry for being so long-winded, but I just had to report my experience. Aly

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

I have visited a couple of branches of Brantano recently. At the first branch having furtively selected a pair of shoes I took them to the checkout and the girl there asked me if I was going to try them on to see if they suited me. At another branch I was lookng at the size 9's when an assistant came up and told me to try anyhing I liked. Needless to say Brantano made good sales from those two visits.

I must admit that I am getting much more comfortable with trying on shoes before I buy. One of these days I'm going to try to get to a Nine West outlet, as they typically have many styles that I like, but their sizes tend to vary quite a bit from shoe to shoe, so trying on is necessary. Also have my eye on a new Bandolino store in te local mall. I'll have to test the waters there as well!

RonC, I do most of my shopping at a Nine West outlet and a Bandolino store in a mall, as well as some shopping at a Nine West store. The customer service I have received at each of them has been no less than outstanding and I would recommend either or all a great places to shop and to try shoes on.

At all stores, I have been told that they do have regular male customers. The managers of the Nine West outlet and Bandolino both will already have shoes in mind to suggest for me. If they get in a large enough stock between my visits, I will be in each store for an hour or so just modeling shoes.

Also, every time I go to one of these stores shopping I go wearing heels. For some reason, if I wear heels into any shoe store I get better service. It is likely that they know you are a serious customer, but I think good shoes begets more friendly service.

Style is built from the ground up!

HappyFeat, certaily, if you are wearing heels or about any type of womans shoe when entering, I would think the sales clerk would readily recognize what you are there for. So that is a great ice breaker I would think! I'm not yet quite ready for traipsing around the mall in heels, so my visit will need to be a bit more low key to start. I will, however, try both of those stores eventually with the intent on trying on shoes. Unfortunately, I really do need a 12 in most styles (and especially the styles I typically like), and I know that the NineWest outlet typically has maybe one or two 12s in the entire store, and the Bandolino retail store doesn't stock larger than 11. And I'll certainly continue to visit the Payless stores.

latindancer, At one time they were carrying a lot of 12s. As of late, however, the number is dwindling. Interestingly, I have also notice that the Target online store has quit carrying 12s in many of their lines of shoes. I guess sales just aren't high enough in those sizes. Pisses me off!

latindancer,

At one time they were carrying a lot of 12s. As of late, however, the number is dwindling. Interestingly, I have also notice that the Target online store has quit carrying 12s in many of their lines of shoes. I guess sales just aren't high enough in those sizes. Pisses me off!

RonC ...

I hear what you are saying. I too wear size 12 in a women's shoe. With the exception of Payless (I can wear Target's size 11's), it is hard to find a store that stocks size 12 that you can go into and try on the high heels.

Maybe the current economic situation has caused some of the shoe stores to cut back on their inventory because maybe their sales are down quite a bit on the larger sizes.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement. I think a lot of store merchandise is ordered months in advance. Winter clothes come into store what, Aug-Sept? That's one of the reasons at Christmas, if all of a sudden there's a hot toy, it's difficult to find - you just can't ramp up production and get new inventory to the stores in a couple of weeks.

As far as larger sizes in particular, I'm also not sure how to read that. On the one hand, it's obvious that women's sizes 12-13 are an exception, since few stores carry them, so the pool of customers looking for them is very small. On the other hand, they have to shop somewhere, so stores that do carry them don't have a lot of competition.

Retail is a fickle business, who knows what the reason is for a lot of their decisions...

I have about 25 pairs from Nine West. Bought every pair after trying on multiple pairs in the store. So by now I must have tried hundreds of pairs on in Nine West stores. The sales girls know me. Never had a problem. They love chatting about shoes.

I agree with your premise. Being a wearer of mostly 13s I find it hard to find shoes and boots in the store. If I do I try them on. Most of mine come from the Internet. I have tried on and purchased many trainers in 13, several 2 inch heeled oxfords and a couple of pair of 3" inch boots mostly from Nordstrom. One experience you will enjoy is a visit I made to a Nordstrom and I decided to have some fun. I was looking for a 2" to 3" heeled oxford. I decided to go in wearing my black ballet oxfords with a 7.5" heel. They drew some looks but prompted a lengthy discussion with the sales girl about how you train to wear them. She was, however, not weird or upset just kinda matter a fact. Now when i go back in she is very friendly. I do not know what others thought but I had fun doing it for the shock value, of which there was little.

I try shoes on before buying but will not wear them out of the store. I have bought several pairs from Payless, once using the Halloween excuse. I got a pair of 4" pumps at Walmart, trying them on during a quiet time. My favorite place the last couple of years has been a lingerie store that caters to the exotic dancers in the area (and also a fair share of men, I gather.) They have a very good selection of larger sizes in the styles I like. I feel very welcome there and the owner has complimented me on how well I walk in heels. I tried on some 8" stilettos with 3 or 4" platform and a dancer who was there told me that I handled them well.

Something that I have noticed about shopping for heels.

Helpful hint 1

Be aware of where you buy larger size shoes. Let's take Baker's for instance... When I go to Baker's in a more ethnic shopping environment. I will find my size easy. If I venture out to the suburbs. They don't have larger sizes. A saleswoman from the suburbs informed me that they don't carry larger sizes in this area. She said to try other malls in different areas (she didn't know how to say "ethnic type malls") but I got her point. So, basically... Bakers know where there larger size sales are.

Helpful hint 2

A saleswoman from Aldo's told me that all there shoes run small. but Why why why... there shoes are so beautiful :w00t2: I tried on a size 11 pair of "Atlanticcity" and they where way to small (it felt like a size 9). It is almost impossible to find a size 12 at Aldo's. Such a bummer.

I tried on a size 11 pair of "Atlanticcity" and they where way to small

mrhiheelz :-)

I also noticed the "Atlantic city" model at ALDO and it is AWESOME.

Unfortunately, I am not "ready" to try them on the store yet...

(I wish I could. Maybe one day)

And I agree with you, all their shoes and boots are VERY nice.

Lucky for me, their women's size 11 fits me like a glove :w00t2:

(BTW the boots you see on my avatar are from ALDO and I love them !)

So are you going to buy them anyways? You can always walk in, just ask for a pair, and try them at home.

Yes I think I will buy and try them at home (This is what I always do)

But I am wondering if they will "slip out" of my feet while walking...

(I got many platform boots and it would be my first pair of platform shoes)

Maybe I will have the courage to try them in the store...Who knows :w00t2:

Unfortunately, I am not "ready" to try them on the store yet... (I wish I could. Maybe one day) And I agree with you, all their shoes and boots are VERY nice. I didn't have the nerve to try them on in the store either. I went to the car and then took them back because they were too small. Funny thing... When I was about 20 years younger I went to a Baker's store and tried on a pair of shoes and I got caught by one of the girls that worked there. I was embarrassed but at that time I was catching the bus to the mall to buy shoes and stockings. So... I had the whole ride to the mall to get the nerve up. I had more courage then than I do now. :lmao: I guess I need to go see the Wizard for some more courage :w00t2:

like a fair fewof you guys... i'm just not brave enough to try in store... for fear or the sales people, the random shoppers but my biggest fear isthat I'll run into someone i know.... i know i know, go somewhere far away from your own suburb to minimise the chance but the fear is still there and I have a tendency to run into people at the worst time..... murphys law.....

like a fair fewof you guys... i'm just not brave enough to try in store... for fear or the sales people, the random shoppers but my biggest fear isthat I'll run into someone i know.... i know i know, go somewhere far away from your own suburb to minimise the chance but the fear is still there and I have a tendency to run into people at the worst time..... murphys law.....

I'm a very insecure person in many aspects of my life, have few friends, and am totally shy of meeting people other than those I have known for years. I feel socially awkward most of the time and therefore am quiet in groups of more than 1, i.e. me. But I've tried on heels in shops, worn stilettos down the street and been thrilled and over-joyed at the pleasure. If I can find the courage, there's more than a little hope for you!!

Take a deep breath, and go for it!!

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

heelshigh just curious where is the store you go try on the heels . i really enjoy trying on heels at payless and the girls there are cool with me walking around in them to make sure how they fit.

It's not a chain operation - just a little lingerie shop in Oklahoma City and I can't think of the name off the top of my head. The owner found a niche that needed filling and sells a lot of merchandise. She will even special order things online for people who can't have stuff shipped to their home.

Christie's Toybox and Priscilla's are also good for trying on shoes but they don't have the selection in larger sizes.

Yes I think I will buy and try them at home (This is what I always do)

But I am wondering if they will "slip out" of my feet while walking...

(I got many platform boots and it would be my first pair of platform shoes)

Maybe I will have the courage to try them in the store...Who knows :w00t2:

UPDATE:

Finally, I did not buy the "Atlanticcity" model (too narrow) but I did try (for the first time) a pair of boot in the store (Aldo) and I decided to buy them. There was only 2 customers in store and I was very nervous. But I will do it again for sure...

See picture below.

post-14338-133522872955_thumb.jpg