Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

the problem here in the uk, is that, the only biggest size is 8 uk, I mean heel shops here have missed the buck, and would double there money and sale, if they increase the size to 10 uk,

the problem here in the uk, is that, the only biggest size is 8 uk, I mean heel shops here have missed the buck, and would double there money and sale, if they increase the size to 10 uk,
Funny. I used to think the UK was the place to get shoes bigger than 8, as Evans and Barratts would have them. We use to have very few places to get them, but ofcourse now we have Deichmann.

• 2 weeks later...

I shopped after a business meeting today with the aim of buying some clearance shoes. Got a pair of 41/2 wedges and 5" heeled pair of sandals. Very nice afternoon to shop, both SA's were very pleasant. I was en femme in a woman's suit blazer, pants and blouse but i am sure i would have been treated just as well otherwise.

• 1 month later...

I tried the heels on during my recent purchases but still depends on the store. Making an excuse that im buying it for my wife in which we do have the same shoe size so i need to try on the heels to make sure it fits her blah blah something like that.... on my next purchase ill make sure to say that i am looking for heels for me

I was on a business trip in London this week and had four hours to spare between the end of the meeting and me having to be at Heathrow airport. As Harrods was close, I got a cab there, dropped off my baggage and went to their "Shoe Heaven". I didn't really want to buy any expensive boots from designers, as the British pound is currently quite expensive for Europeans (+ 40% on top). Still... I found a pair from Kurt Geiger that I liked at that were quite cheap in comparison.

Mind you, I was dressed in a "smart casual" outfit, so just regular Oxford business shoes, dark chinos, etc. --- Normally, if I try on heels, I try to go to the store already wearing some, which makes it much easier for me (but I think also for the store assistant) to take the awkwardness out of the whole situation.

In Harrods though, even with my business outfit this was made an extremely pleasureable experience. I asked the store assistant whether they also have these boots in size 41. She returned with the box and said "yes, we still have them in your size. She opened the box, took out the left boots and asked me "would you like to try them  on?". She was very friendly throughout the whole sale.

If I am in store, I always try on, but with me sometimes having no other chance than to go there in a business outfit (when on business trips), I have also had negative experiences. This one was really great though.

The only thing... when I got to Heathrow airport (Terminal 2), I noticed that there was a Kurt Geiger shoe store IN the terminal (behind security), selling the same pair tax free. Well... didn't know that before... ;)

• Like 1

I have always had a great experience in shops. Last week i went to a little store with open front in 1 of our main malls 

4 sales assistants. 1 looking after me. But the other 3 all popping in wanting a look, adding advice, grabbing other shoes for me to try. 

In the end i dont know who was having most fun. Me or them

Theyve more than likely seen everything before. It may be a bit different but in the end its just another sale to them

keep it going everyone. Its great fun

james

Regards

James

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought many pairs of heeled shoes/boots from high street stores, I take a uk8 eu41/42. I have never had any issues with sales assistants in fact quite the opposite, they just seem very keen to help you, yes a sale is a sale but I think they also get a buzz out of something different, I mean a man in his sixties trying on 4 or 5" heels and then walking around in them often better then the ladies, also I have lost count of 'are you wanting to wear them out?' comments and yes, on one occasion I did, a pair of knee high 41\2" boots from Mode in Pele, the boots were fantastic as were the staff.

• Like 3

My average heel height is 61\2" on size 9 feet

7 hours ago, Diana High Heels said:

I have bought many pairs of heeled shoes/boots from high street stores, I take a uk8 eu41/42. I have never had any issues with sales assistants in fact quite the opposite, they just seem very keen to help you, yes a sale is a sale but I think they also get a buzz out of something different, I mean a man in his sixties trying on 4 or 5" heels and then walking around in them often better then the ladies, also I have lost count of 'are you wanting to wear them out?' comments and yes, on one occasion I did, a pair of knee high 41\2" boots from Mode in Pele, the boots were fantastic as were the staff.

You are soooo right buddy!

• 10 months later...

Went to a payless shoe store about 3 weeks ago and got new heels, black polished pumps and a strappy stilleto sandals.  I mentioned to the lady who assisted me that i am actually looking for heels for me where she immediately suggested some style and ask me what type do i like.  She gave me a lot of shoes to try on and i just keep on trying them on and see if they feel comfy and look good on my feet.  The feeling was priceless and i have never tried on so many pairs of beautiful shoes in my life in a store. Ended up buying 2 pairs which i liked the most because of the heel height and style. 

20160828_123821.jpg20160827_213846.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hernaezjames said:

She gave me a lot of shoes to try on and i just keep on trying them on and see if they feel comfy and look good on my feet.

And she sold two pair of shoes and gained a customer who I'm sure will return. :cheeky:

By the way... nice shoes.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Never have had any kind of issues in a Payless store.  Given that they are one of the few places that carries the larger sizes, I'm pretty sure they are used to guys coming in for heels.  I know the associates at the one I go to most often have said that there store is known to many guys as one where they will be comfortable trying things on.  They just usually give me there spiel about whatever sale they might be having and then just say "let me know if you need any help".

I miss the old days of the small, private shoe stores.  I knew a couple that stocked 11s and 12s and would go there regularly.  The staff had no problem waiting on me or having me try things on.  All are gone now, replaced by things like DSW and Nordstrom Rack.  I miss the old days....and I liked the shoes better back then as well!

Edited by RonC

Yes, I have learned over the years that trying to hide, or lurking about while looking at heels just makes you seem creepy.  It's hard, but very liberating, to ask for a particular style in your size to try on!  Any sales help that kills a sale by being rude is just a moron....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Any sales help that kills a sale by being rude is just a moron....

And deserves to see your back as you walk out of the door, or talk to their manager.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I wish I could buy my heels locally but the largest size in the local shops is normally UK8 and I need a UK10 or 11.  I would not think twice about trying on in the shop but due to lack of local suppliers I order online, normally via Chinese suppliers where I need to go up to a UK12 or 28.5cm

Yay! Was in the Lauderdale Last Call and there were two other guys separately trying on heels :)

First time I've seen other guys openly trying shoes on from the women's side.

• Like 6

(formerly known as "JimC")

On 10/5/2016 at 5:27 PM, RonC said:

Never have had any kind of issues in a Payless store.  Given that they are one of the few places that carries the larger sizes, I'm pretty sure they are used to guys coming in for heels.  I know the associates at the one I go to most often have said that there store is known to many guys as one where they will be comfortable trying things on.  They just usually give me there spiel about whatever sale they might be having and then just say "let me know if you need any help".

I miss the old days of the small, private shoe stores.  I knew a couple that stocked 11s and 12s and would go there regularly.  The staff had no problem waiting on me or having me try things on.  All are gone now, replaced by things like DSW and Nordstrom Rack.  I miss the old days....and I liked the shoes better back then as well!

Payless - - - I have, and I no longer even bother going there. Given that Payless and Walmart are the ""Only"" places to buy women's shoes other than a sporting goods kinda shop, they have a plentiful market. Payless has a very limited selection of heels, and Walmart doesn't carry any - - - Remember - Locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Payless associates have always been extremely helpful when I interact.  My first venture was 5 years ago as I decided to take that step in trying them in public before making the purchase.  The associate helped e decide which fit was going to be the best between the 12M, 12W, 13M and 13W.  She took the time and effort to explain how they were supposed to fit and feel.  She was very helpful to this novice.  Another demonstrated how they were supposed to be worn and the method of proper walk.  Their efforts have made for some fun moments in shoe

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

• 5 months later...

hernaezjames you got to learn to take your stilettos off when you drive.  The spike can get caught in the carpet...I know from experience.

I admit that I am extremely lucky to have normal women's US size 10 feet, so I can shop almost anywhere.

My first in-store was at Macy's when I tried on a short 1.5" heeled booties.  They fit, I got them and I wear them. Then I got the nerve to shop the women's department at DSW.  From there I got the courage to go to small boutiques. Now when I go shopping at a mall for any reason I always take the time to look at shoes. Look, hold, ask questions, and try-on what I want to without any hesitations.  I hardly ever have to say they are for me because I usually have heels on and any good shoe salesperson will always inspect the shoes you have on as you walk in.

I love shopping for shoes in person it's the best way to find shoes that fit.  I especially enjoy the times when you are sitting next to another customer having a nice conversation about shoes and maybe even trying on the same shoes. However, sometimes you have no other choice than order over the internet, I'm 50/50 with success getting shoes that fit this way, just glad for free returns.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cali said:

hernaezjames you got to learn to take your stilettos off when you drive.  The spike can get caught in the carpet...I know from experience.

Hi Cali,

Thanks for the advice. I like to wear my stilettos while driving and had no problem with it. Been doing that for as long as i can remember.  I love the feeling pressing the pedals while wearing a nice pumps and love the sight of it everytime i look down when stopped on a red light. 

• Like 2

hernaezjames I drive in 4-7 inch heels all the time, I just don't drive in stilettos anymore. Got the tip stuck in the carpet and almost had an accident.  So I take my right stiletto off when I drive.

Went shoe shopping at a large mall.  Went to several stores that carry shoes I like and fit.  Tried on several heels but nothing was in the "Just Have To Have It" category.  But shoe shopping in person is always fun and enjoyable.

• Like 1

I purchased a pair of pumps at DSW recently. The ones I wanted were in the back of the store, so I headed there to try them on. Trying them on was pretty uneventful, as there were not many people in the store at the time. There was one sales associate wandering around, and I'm pretty sure she saw me take a box from the stack and open it, and she may have also seen me try on the pumps, however, she was a few rows away, and never made an effort to work her way towards me and ask if I needed any help, so I just tried them on, boxed them up, and walked to the register at the front of the store. The cashier was a female, in her mid 50's, I'd say. She was also a heel wearer! I caught a glimpse of her black, single sole 4" stiletto pumps on the way into the store, when she was out from behind the cashier counter, helping another employee with something. As far as I could see, she was the only female employee in the store, who was wearing heels. She opens the box, checks to see if both shoes are the same size, then boxes them up again, and asks if I have a DSW member discount card (which I don't, but probably should...). She was one of those overly pleasant types, who felt the need to make a lot of idle chit-chat and ask numerous questions, in an effort to pass the time, as she cashed out my purchase. It's not that I don't like pleasant people, but I'm not one to share a lot of personal information with someone I don't know, and when I'm in a rush (as I was that day), I'd rather just have a smooth, efficient transaction, without being put through the third degree. However, it is what it is! As she's getting ready to put the box into a bag, she looks up at me and says, "I bet she'll love these!". Out of all the random comments and questions she tossed at me, THAT was the one I had been waiting for! I looked her in the eye, and replied, "she already has a pair; I liked them so much, I decided to come in, and get some in my size." Without missing a beat, she says, "well you both have good taste, this style is on my wish list, but I may not wait for hubby to buy them for me. I think I'm going to have to purchase them myself". That was the perfect opening to ask if she planned on getting a pair for him, too, and although, even if he isn't a heel wearer, I know she would have played along, and had a good laugh, but for some reason, I chickened out, and did not go there. The experience was proof that most of these sales associates are used to men purchasing heels, either for their wives or girlfriends, or for themselves. She did not seem surprised or taken aback whatsoever, by the fact that I mentioned they were for me. It was if she had had the same interaction with male customers 1000 times before. Which she probably has! I say, go in, try them on, and have fun with it. Life is too short to worry about what strangers think about a guy in heels! 

Edited by LuvsStiletto
  • Like 1

I wear a women' US 12 so DSW doesn't have too much to offer me.  Last year I stopped in at the end of boot season and found a pair of lace up knee high boots in a 12 on the discount rack but they were still a little more than I wanted to spend.  I told a manager I didn't want to spend that much for the boots and he said he couldn't change the price but he could change the discount rate, which he did and I bought the boots.  There was no doubt in anyone's mind that the boots were for me (I was wearing a dress) and everyone was cool with that.  A sale is a sale.

2 hours ago, LuvsStiletto said:

I say, go in, try them on, and have fun with it.

Absolutely.

• Like 2

LuvsStiletto I would recommend the discount card.  I had very good service at DSW and have made many purchases.  I had sale associates help me find shoes, show me the location of different styles and help locate my size.  They also have a great return policy, so if I order shoes on line and they don't fit just perfect it very easy to do a store return.

I have had many chats with the checkout women.  They see I'm in heels, so they ask if I found the shoes I was looking for or tell me your'll love these - I have a pair too.

I absolutely hated shopping for men's shoes - they never fit.  Shopping for women's shoes in person (aka shoes that fit) is so much fun.  The variety that's out there is seemingly endless.  So many shoes BUT only two feet.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cali said:

LuvsStiletto I would recommend the discount card.  I had very good service at DSW and have made many purchases.  I had sale associates help me find shoes, show me the location of different styles and help locate my size.  They also have a great return policy, so if I order shoes on line and they don't fit just perfect it very easy to do a store return.

I have had many chats with the checkout women.  They see I'm in heels, so they ask if I found the shoes I was looking for or tell me your'll love these - I have a pair too.

I absolutely hated shopping for men's shoes - they never fit.  Shopping for women's shoes in person (aka shoes that fit) is so much fun.  The variety that's out there is seemingly endless.  So many shoes BUT only two feet.

I agree! I've always had good experiences at DSW. I will sign up for the discount card the next time I am in the store. I would have done it that day, however I was running late, and did not want to take the time at the checkout. Purchasing and trying on women's shoes is much more fun, and exhilarating! I love that moment, when a sales associate realizes that you are purchasing heels for yourself, either when they ask, and you explain it to them, or when they first notice that you are wearing heels or trying on a new pair. There's just something about that split second, when it registers with them, that you are getting them for yourself, that feels like a rush! It is amplified, when they signal acceptance, and begin helping you find what you are looking for. In all the years that I have been heeling, and trying on women's shoes in stores, it has pretty much always been a really positive experience. I did have one sales associate (a guy) in a Baker's store back in the early 90's, who gave me a strange look when I was trying on a pair of pumps, but he did not say a word; it was more like a raised eyebrow sort of thing, and after that, he just went about his business. The female associates have always been more than helpful and willing to discuss their preferences when it comes to the heels they wear. It's much easier to discuss heels with women, than most guys think, especially if they know you also wear them. I think the part that I enjoy the most, is when a female associate that you have seen many times prior, wearing flats each time, suddenly is wearing stilettos on your next visit to the store. There's something about a woman whom you've only known to be a wearer of flats, and then you see her in heels. It is hard to describe, but I have always liked that moment, when I discover a woman whom I've seen many times before, never in heels, and alas, I see her again, and she is in heels! Maybe it is because as much as I enjoy wearing them, I really do love seeing heels on women as well.

• Like 3

LuvStiletto, Cali, et al,

I agree. I have the DSW card and give the member# and not the phone number they expect. This seems to amaze them. I say it's just another number. I can't remember the last time I didn't wear heels info a DSW. I've said before you get far better service if you are up front about for whom you are shopping and wearing heels into the store removes any doubt. It also makes a statement the world had better meet you on your terms. Dignity and respect should be extended equally to women or men irrespective of whether they wear heels or not. The prospective sale is what is really in play. HappyinHeels

• Like 4

I totally agree with HappyinHeels. I was in DSW the other night, ordered a pair of heels that was not in stock in my size.The sales clerk mentioned that she liked the style I was odering. I did buy another pair that was in stock in the store. Of course I was wearing heels too and she commented that she liked the shoes I was wearing. I always get great service shopping for heels in DSW. They are totally OK with men trying on heels in their stores.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

On 4/21/2017 at 2:44 PM, Cali said:

hernaezjames I drive in 4-7 inch heels all the time, I just don't drive in stilettos anymore. Got the tip stuck in the carpet and almost had an accident.  So I take my right stiletto off when I drive.

Oh i see. I guess it depends on the car floor matting you use. The tip of my heels dont get stuck in anyway. :)