Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

I was in a Le Chateau outlet store in Toronto, and I showed the wife what shoes I was interested in. As I was showing her, she told me to try them on, I was surprised, I was also nervous, normally I don't try heels on in a store. All I can say is that both pairs fit. When I brought both heels to the sells person, to find the matching pair in the back, he couldn't find them. Guess it wasn't ment to be. I will be going back in the near future to see if they have found them. Outlet store only has the right heel on display.

I was in a Le Chateau outlet store in Toronto, and I showed the wife what shoes I was interested in. As I was showing her, she told me to try them on, I was surprised, I was also nervous, normally I don't try heels on in a store. All I can say is that both pairs fit. When I brought both heels to the sells person, to find the matching pair in the back, he couldn't find them. Guess it wasn't ment to be. I will be going back in the near future to see if they have found them. Outlet store only has the right heel on display.

I've never bought shoes at le chateau, but I've tried on and bought a few pairs of womens dress pants at the eaton centre location in Toronto. Its nice to know others shop in toronto. Its a great city for fashion.

The fav place for me to buy heels before they closed was at Style Sence, that was an excellent place. Now I shop at Le Chateau stores,or the outlet mall on Dundas, Guess, and Winners. The odd time I will try on a pair of heels at a store.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying on lots of heels over the last few weeks, but don't seem to find anything I like enough to buy. I did get one lady customer say "those are gorgeous" to me as I was slipping into a pair of fuchsia/fuschia/fuchsia/fuschia/fuchsia/fuschia(?) ...pink suede courts but I didn't quite like how they looked on me and the heel was too low at 3" (which makes it kind of ironic that the nicest pair I tried on were flats, and I might go back and buy those).

If you like it, wear it.

SleekHeels, Pink pumps (courts as you call them) are a favorite of mine too. I have a pair of "hot pink" pumps, Aerosoles Tapestry, which have a 3-1/2" stacked heel. I like to wear them with white pants or white capris, with a hot pink colored polo shirt. I have received several compliments from the ladies on that ensemble. I also have a pair of Dansko clogs in hot pink as well as a pair of sandals and knee boots in hot pink color too. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Yes bluejay, that's kind of the look I had in mind too... white capris and a hot pink tshirt under a denim jacket.

These were the shoes I really wanted (not the ones I tried on) but they were out of stock by the time I even discovered them:

http://www.newlook.c...hoes-_268940877

post-12051-0-28841900-1366922121_thumb.j

Never mind, I think the look works with turquoise too so I may try that next time the sun's out. I've had these shoes for ages but not worn them out yet (saving them for a worthwhile debut):

post-12051-0-46553600-1366922412_thumb.j

If anyone likes those, they're Ravel "Joanne", I just searched and found them on Amazon.co.uk but only up to a UK8:

http://www.amazon.co...6922564&sr=1-48

If you like it, wear it.

Those pumps are almost if not exactly the same as the Brash Cosmic pumps from Payless. Although Payless has them, or had, in red, black, blue, taupe. I have them in black and red. Haven't seen them in blue for a while and if I do they are next on my list! I don't know about those but the Brash Cosmics are very comfortable!!

• 4 months later...

Figured this would be the appropriate thread for my recent adventure. I've been visiting my female friend which knows about my love for heels and supports me in it. We had the plan to go shopping in Antwerp for quite a while and a couple of days ago we went. When shopping I get more and more confident in trying on shoes. But since we where going to Antwerp, no one would know me there and I decided to try on as much as I like without any hesitation or shame. I haven't really been outside on footwear that couldn't be classified as "male appropriate". For convenience I wanted to wear shoes without laces to make trying on heels easier. Some basic pumps with low heel came to mind but I wasn't confident I could pull off wearing them all day so thats why I decided to go with ballerine flats. Me wearing the flats hardly got noticed outside. When we where in a store some people saw them but didn't give it a second glance. No one made a comment and I didn't notice others talk about it to eachother. One of my favorite stores is New Look. I was totally in love with their 'shoe cellar' and tried on a lot of shoes. It was quite busy and lots of other people saw me try on heels but the only gave it a short look and went on with their business. An employee who was restocking the shelves got a little uncomfortable when I asked if I could try on the shoes she was unpacking. The others didn't seem to mind and the ladies behind the register where very friendly. In the Steve Madden store the sales lady noticed my flats and gave me a friendy smile. To make a long story short, I had a GREAT experience shopping and trying on heels! I posted pics of my new shoes in the "Who has bought some new shoes" topic. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had posted in here before, but I always try on shoes before buying them.  At first it was very intimidating, then it became a lot easier.  I have found the longer I go in between shopping trips the more difficult it is to try them on.  Like most on here, DSW is one of my favorite places to shop.  I have not really had the nerve to ask a sales lady/man for a shoe in my size and sit down and try it on...although I am getting there. 

I would like to tell you all about my experience this evening.  I am out of town and was headed to the mall to pick up a free pair of panties from VS (got a coupon in the mail).  When I got to the mall I spotted a Fredrick's of Hollywood.  It has been years since I have been in one as we do not have any where I live.  I immediately new I was going in to shop.  I browse through the front of the shop, but was really only looking for two things...hosiery and heels (hence my name...).  I saw a few shoes on a rack in the middle of the store and to my surprise they had a couple of 10's and 11's on the shelf.  I tried them on, not really all that impressed, but then I spot the clearance rack in the back next to the cash register where the two sales girls are working.  So I wonder back that way and see that they have shoes starting at $14.99.  Then I spot them, a pair of black thigh high boots.  They are the kind with the stretchy material up the legs.  I pick them up and realize that they are a size 11.  I decided to slip on the one that they had on the shelf, btw the sales girls were basically right beside me.  The one feels decent and I start looking around for a mirror.  Well the only mirror that they have it back in the dressing room area.  So I walk around the counter and into the dressing room area with one thigh high boot on and one flip flop on (had pantyhose with shorts on).  It looked awesome and still felt good so I asked the lady if I could try the other one.  She went to the back and brought it out and handed it to me, and went back to what she was doing. 

So I put the other shoe on and walk around the store a little bit and looked in the mirror, but my shorts that I had on were too long and I couldn't really see what they really looked like.  All I had on under my shorts was a pair of pantyhose, so I didn't want to pull my shorts off without going into one of the actual dressing rooms, but they were locked.  So I asked the other girl if she could unlock one for me and she did.  They let me be for a bit, I went back out into the store with them on and they asked if they were the right size and I said that they felt a little big and asked if they had a 10, but they didn't, these were last pair.  She recommended wearing socks with them, which I am opposed to wearing socks with heels, but since they wouldn't be seen found it a possibility.  I couldn't decide so I asked them to hold them for an hour or so. 

I went to VS and got my free panties, the stopped in Charlotte Russ and Forever 21before heading back to FOH to get the shoes.  I figured how can you go wrong for $14.99.  While she was ringing me up I asked if they had many men buying heels, and she actually said "Yes, there were quite a few men, some regulars, that come in and buy heels".  I seriously considered putting them on to walk out of the mall in, but honestly, what I was wearing was not appropriate for those shoes.  So not only would I have been a man walking through the mall in thigh high boots, but a man in thigh high boots that has no fashion sense at all...

So that is my shoe shopping store for the day.  After that I went to Hooter's and watched the end of a disappointing baseball game...had a nice conversation with the waitress about pantyhose while I was there, but that's a different forum.

post-19067-0-38556400-1379482012_thumb.j

post-19067-0-21974100-1379482034_thumb.j

post-19067-0-06203400-1379482063_thumb.j

Cool boots, you certainly have the legs for them. That was a good call not wearing them through the mall with shorts - the hem of the skirt in your photos looks like a perfect choice. It was also really positive of you to interact with the sales assistants, I hope that's shaken off your nerves for next time.

If you like it, wear it.

Stopped at at my local Nordstrom Rack.  Very disappointed to find that the size 12 section has been reduced dramtically. What used to be nearly an entire aisle is now reduced to one rack of about five feet.  It is now the size of what the size 13 rack used to be, and the 13s are essentially gone.  So very disappointed in this development.  Seems we're going the wrong direction here.  Damn.

Is it maybe a sign that the economy is improving? Is Nordstrom selling out more of their styles in their main stores instead of having to relegate the dregs to their Rack stores? Dunno...

They just opened a Nordstrom Rack in Columbus, but I haven't been there yet. When HappyinHeels visited me a month ago, it was still under construction.

Steve

• 2 months later...

I was recently trying on some heels in a store. post-12051-0-20492900-1386379672_thumb.j

A couple of young ladies were nearby trying on heels, and one of them came over and politely asked "Excuse me, where did you find those heels?". I told them where and a few seconds later they were trying on a pair too. I said "They're gorgeous aren't they?" and they agreed. No big fuss was made, we just spoke to each other like regular customers (which is exactly what we are). At the checkout I placed the heels on the counter and smiled at the cashier. As she scanned them she asked "Nothing for yourself today sir?". I replied "These are for me" and she seemed a little unsure what to say next so I asked her "Do you get many guys buying heels?" and she replied "Yes, actually we do get quite a few". I said "Oh, but I guess most of them don't admit that the heels are for them". She said "No, but a few do, some of them look quite good". So I asked her "What do you think of that then? Do you think it's cool? Weird? What?" and she said "It's good that they wear what they want to wear and express themselves". I told her that's a really nice attitude and thanked her. For anyone who's apprehensive about striking up a conversation with a sales assistant, try it, you might be surprised at how positive and open-minded people can be. Especially if they work in a fashion store, they probably love fashion (and welcome being treated like a human being instead of a robot). I've also tried on skirts (with heels) and stepped out of the cubicle to ask their advice, and they've been totally cool with it, helpful and even enthusiastic with their advice.  

If you like it, wear it.

There's a Macy's in Phoenix that's pretty good about it.  The store at Biltmore seems more than pleased to sell to me.  They also seem to keep a good selection in 11.  Other stores not so much and even some rudeness when asked for 11.  Two weeks ago a lady at their flagship store in NYC told me a certain style was not made in 11, even though I had bought them a month ago in black and was looking at the brown version.  The sole label on the floor sample even shows the sizes they stock.  I don't really know for sure but I think there are more 11 customers on the east coast and they sell out fast. 

I "boldly went where I have never gone before" todayt while shopping. I made the open knowledge I was shopping for me back in October with the reason being Halloween.  But today was different when the SA approached at Payless.  I stated I was shopping for a pair of heels for my self and inquired if it was OK to try any shoes.  "Of course[ how would you know if you like them" was the very friendly reply.  I proceeded to try on shoes for almot the next hour comparing the fit between several styles in 13, 12, and 12w.  I later asked for her "professional opinion" as to the differece in fit.  She had me walk in the 13 white Karmen and stated "those look too loose and you will walk out of them."  Then we tried a pair of 12 red patent Karmen and they were too tight and opted to try them in the 12w.  They seemed to fit better and are hoping to be a future purchase.  She then suggested trying a pair of 13 with T-strap feature with higher broader heel and stated her name "and you are welcome to try on at any time as I am the manager."  I thanked her for her help and will make future purchases with her.  There was really nothing to fear afterall even when a Mom with her young daughter passed without judgment but a longing gaze by the 3 year old at me in red patent pumps. 

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Great post - thanks for sharing. As you are learning, the demons are in our heads. There is nothing to fear. The SA's have seen it all and are not supposed to be judgmental. They try to be as helpful as possible. Their goal is to get you to part with your money and they mostly do whatever they can to provide satisfaction so you'll come back and do it again and again. As to the little girl, she was probably anxious to grow up so she could wear what you were wearing!

Congrats on coming out and being honest with the SA (and yourself). It's a relief not to have to make up silly excuses, isn't it? Now when you go back, you can be relaxed and happy. Happy customers spend more money, though, so watch out!  :D

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped by the Boca Raton Nordstroms to try out these boots, Kellie by BP. Got a little nervous as these were the first non wedge sneakers I'd asked to try on in store. Too bad their website was wrong and they did not have my size. May try another store in Naples tomorrow with the jeans I'd intend to wear to see how they look, not just feel

post-289-0-11514400-1388437992_thumb.jpg

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 1 year later...

Maybe a year or two back (could be longer - my concept of time these days is blurry!), someone posted a video of a guy trying on shoes in a store.  I believe it was in Germany, and he was conversing with the sales girl and tried on a few pairs.  Does anyone remember that video and can perhaps recall where it is posted?

• 3 weeks later...

RonC,

Was this it?

*UPDATE*

This video no longer available.

Here's a video of Shafted trying on some boots in DSW at Union Square:

th_shafteddsw.jpg

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

All,

I used to try to be discreet when trying on heels in stores and realized one cannot control every moment of every day when you're sharing space with 7.2 billion people on Earth. So you're in mid stream with your foot firmly nestled in a 6" stiletto and in walks a family with a stroller. Do you quick take off the shoe and wait them to leave or do you just calmly continue your business? There are some that would do the former but this creates an image that you are a creep that doesn't belong there. Remember, you have the same right to patronize the store, and being waited upon with the same dignity, as any other customer. I get good service just about anywhere I go and get magnificent service when I wear heels into a store. If we, as a group of human beings, guys buying heels, or guys just doing what the girls are doing, buying what we want and where we want, don't demand our legitimate place at the retail counter, then we will never be considered a full partner in the march for equality and dignity. HappyinHeels 

• Like 1