Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

My wife (before I lost her) and I used to know Maya 11+ years ago. Took a girl friend there once since. But, I am under the impression that she didn't have a store any more. Is that true or is she still there?

RonC,

I've found that the Nine West Outlet stores closer to urban areas tend to carry larger sizes. I was talking with the manager of my local store and she said she has requested more styles in larger sizes.

rx

Just visited an Nine West Outlet south of Columbus, Ohio - - Up to size 11's only - - No 12's at all.

Edited by Heelster

My wife (before I lost her) and I used to know Maya 11+ years ago. Took a girl friend there once since. But, I am under the impression that she didn't have a store any more. Is that true or is she still there?

Yes and no.

She's moved to a new location close by: across the street and west a bit (between Cherokee and Hudson). I'm not certain of all the details, but there was a dispute with a partner or something similar. Apparently, whatever was going on also caused her to lose control of the domain name she was using and MayaShoes is no longer hers, so she created MayaShoesUsa. I find the new physical store to be better - primarily because it is more organized, unlike her old place which was a bit chaotic. But it is also in a much higher traffic area, closer to all the tourist attractions, which is good for her business, but less so for those of us who are a bit self conscious about trying on heels. For me, specifically, this means standing outside for three or four minutes and taking a deep breath before diving in.

There are also two other places very close by right on the eastern corner of the same block (can't remember the names) which sell plenty of heels in the larger sizes (as with Maya's, larger sizes right in the window). I've browsed them, but both shop owners are male, and despite being located on Hollywood Blvd. - meaning they've seen everything and then some - I find it far easier buying from women then men.

Went out last night and wore the ones in my avatar to the mall and walked out with a new pair of heels. Shopping can be fun but it is all about confidence. If you can find someone to share in your fun it makes things a little easier. When i first started going out shopping for shoes I had a couple friends (female) that would go with me and dress up to take most of the focus off of me. After a while I was able to go out and just be by myself. Sure I got a few rude comments (oddly enough from women) but I shrugged them off and made a choice to just be me. What ever you choose to do I hope that you can be happy because that means more than being unhappy.

RonC, I intend to visit the Nine West store on Clark St. as soon as possible. I'm looking for the 'Caridad" wedge and they may well have it. It's just another reason to go to Chicago. I think I'll get my pedicure in the morning and then off I go to NineWest with a new pedi and my "Cecilia" wedges in bone (and now cognac) and strut out on in there! Chicago and environs have some awesome shopping for sure. One of these days RonC, one of these days we'll cross paths. HappyinHeels

• 2 weeks later...

I remenber back in the early 70s I went into a shoe store in Windsor and bought a pair of white sandals the lady assistant asked me if I would like to try them on the only time I have ever been asked, I declined and left with my sandals but looking back I wish I had said yes to the offer and tried a few more pairs on at the same time. I was about 20 at the time, the reason for buying white as I knew I could dye them red the colour I wanted. Live and learn.

life is not a rehearsal

• 1 month later...
  • I also recall buying a pair of heels back in the 70's and having the sales girl ask me if I wanted to try them on. Should have taken her up on it then, but as a still young guy who didn;t know the ways of the world, I was much too worried about what she'd think to actually try them on in a store! Horrors, a guy buying heels....lol. I was in a Payless alst week, not the one I frequent but a different location. The clerk came over to the aisle I was in and asked if I needed any help. I said no, I found the sizes I was looking for. She asked if they were for my wife or for me. I calmly said they were for me, and she proceeded to do her sales pitch about stuff on sale without batting an eye. Good for her.

I always try them on on the store. There's no point buying if you're going to guess at weather or not they'll fit. I've had some really poorly fitting heels that were bought over the internet, so would much prefer to go to a shop where I can try them. Unfortunately, most of the heels I like to wear, 6-7 inch platformless stilettos, can't be bought from any shops that are even vaguely close to me.

I also try them on in the store if possible. Last few pairs I purchased were from Payless. I had to order them online as the stores nearby didn't have what i wanted in my size. I had them shipped to the store. Received a call from the store manager when they arrived. I stopped in to pick them up and she was more than courteous and helpfull. She had me come to the back room and try all of my selections on for proper fit. She asked that I look her up next time I need to order and that the styles I picked were very nice and thought she might want to get them in for stock. I told her I'll be back!!

I finally find a few stores with shoes up to size 43 (and not only appearing on the box as the upper range). It is a really cool experience to try on shoes in the stores. Unfortunately, I found only one pair fitting, but not the style I looked for.

Bubba136, Tech, et al; If a store displays the rainbow symbol on the window or doorway then one can feel well enough to go in knowing that it is "GLBT-friendly" which means they welcome guys buying heels.

I have been looking for those rainbow window stickers at just about every retail establishment - - - have not seen one yet

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys. have a pair of black thigh highs that i wear round the house but am scared to wear them out to places. would love to buy some more but i dont have the courage to go out and try them on in the shops cause i get scared that someone i know will see me. any ideas???

G'day, Aussie, You could order them online and have them shipped to your house. You won't know if they fit and if you like them until you get them, and if you need to exchange them, you'll have to mail them back, which could be expensive. Many of us here have said to heck with that nonsense. We've just mustered up the courage and went and tried them on in the store. The shopkeepers have seen it all, so you wouldn't be likely to upset them - if they're smart they'll treat you nicely and get the sale. If not, take your money and shop elsewhere. As to other customers, some shopkeepers may let you try on shoes in the back room in privacy - you can ask. Whatever you do, just tell the truth. If you get asked by someone you know why your are trying on women's boots, just tell them you would like a pair. You don't have to make up any excuses - people usually see through that. Good luck. Steve

thanks for the advice steve.

G'day, Aussie,

You could order them online and have them shipped to your house. You won't know if they fit and if you like them until you get them, and if you need to exchange them, you'll have to mail them back, which could be expensive. Many of us here have said to heck with that nonsense. We've just mustered up the courage and went and tried them on in the store. The shopkeepers have seen it all, so you wouldn't be likely to upset them - if they're smart they'll treat you nicely and get the sale. If not, take your money and shop elsewhere. As to other customers, some shopkeepers may let you try on shoes in the back room in privacy - you can ask. Whatever you do, just tell the truth. If you get asked by someone you know why your are trying on women's boots, just tell them you would like a pair. You don't have to make up any excuses - people usually see through that.

Good luck.

Steve

thnks for the advice. will totally "man" up and get out and do it next time :)

I only try them on if it there women running the store

Why? afraid men are gonna ask ye for a date? :)

Just do it they are glad to make a sale.

You help pay for there salary!

Edited by FreshinHeels

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

I would think that any store selling thigh-high boots aren't going to be at all prudish, so leave your hesitation at the door and make it the fun and enjoyable experience it should be for you and the store staff - brighten up your day and theirs. Walking in all shifty and nervous is like asking them to be weary of you, but behave like you're their most normal customer and they'll probably respond that way.

If you like it, wear it.

I would think that any store selling thigh-high boots aren't going to be at all prudish, so leave your hesitation at the door and make it the fun and enjoyable experience it should be for you and the store staff - brighten up your day and theirs. Walking in all shifty and nervous is like asking them to be weary of you, but behave like you're their most normal customer and they'll probably respond that way.

Past experience with specialty boutiques that would be likely to sell thigh-high boots are usually very open minded and friendly.

Now if I could actually find one of these boutiques that actually had any thigh-high boots in stock. Have never seen a pair in a store - - only one people wearing them - - - - and have never spotted anyone locally. I would love to try on a pair.

Had an extended outing today trying on heels. First stop was Payless, where I was interested in a pair of chunky high heels loafers I saw on line. While I have tried on shoes many times in store, I would generally not do so if there were other shoppers in the immeidate vicinity. Today, for the first time, I just wnet ahead and tried them on even others were around. Of course, no one said anything, but they were looking....lol. Unfortunately, the size 11 didn;t fit, and there are no size 12s of this style to be found. Next stop was DSW. I tried on a few pairs of shoes there, and also a pair of Jessica Simpson boots that I've had my eye on (anotehr board member has a pair, but I can't remember off hand who it was). ANyway, they are a knee high boot with a chunky 4.5" heel. They fit decently, and I did like them (actually preferred them on the girl that was trying on the same pair...lol), but I was not prepared to part with a hundred bucks, so I moved on. Next stop was my favorite Nine West outlet that caries a lot of large sizes. I tried on numerous pairs there and had a difficult time not buying two or three pair. But I setteled on a pair of 4" heel wedges (can't believe I actually bought a pair of wedges as I resisted them for a long time). They are called Ontoyouo. On sale for $29.95. Tried the 11s and they were snug, but they had 12s in stock, and they fit quite nicely. I have them on right now, and have been wearing them for about three hours now. I never believed my wife when she said that two shoes having the same heel height, the wedge would almost always be more confortable, but now I beileve, as the wedge does provide extra mid foot support and they are fun to walk in. Just for the heck of it, I asked the clerk at Nine West if many guys shopped there. She said there were quite a few that came in to try on and buy heels. She is quite nice, and I have no problem shopping there at all. Here are a few photos. Mine are, howqever, black, not the grey ones shown here.

post-79-0-43567300-1347999359_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-17166000-1347999371_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-45719400-1347999381.jpg

Edited by RonC

Thanks, Steve. You konw, I just looked at the photos of the shoe again, and in black, that stacked look of the heel is not obvious, just all one color. So they do look different in black than the grey shown in the photos.

This morning I found myself passing my local Nordstrom Rack.

I had a few extra minutes, so I stopped in.

Saw these Fergie boots in like 5 different colors! In the store in sizes 11, 12 and 13!

Posted Image

Tried on a pair of size 13 first. Walked around a bit, and decided they were a bit too large.

Went back and grabbed the same pair in a size 12. Perfect fit. Walked around for quite a while

looking at other shoes and boots. They were very comfortable with a 4" heel and fit real well.

I decided I just could not part with $98 today, so I reluctantly returned them to the shelf.

Not a lot of people in the shoe department today, but men and women were coming and

going. No one even gave me a look as I tried these boots on and walked around whole

shoe department.

When I got home, I checked the Fergie Website.

The same boots are here, but at $179.00. Also in sizes up to 13.

http://www.fergieshoes.com/en-US/Product/22000-5162179/Fergie/Tan+Leather/Womens+Legend+Too.aspx

When ever I visit Norstrom Rack, I do not hesitate to try on heels before I buy.

So if you have a store nearby, give them a visit. Just don't but all the size 12's

from My Store.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

• 2 months later...

It had been a while since I was out shopping for heels. So today work took me out toward a mall that has a Nordstrom Rack and a DSW. I wore a pair of knee highs with my 3" chinky heel loafers and did a bit of shopping. Tried on several pair in Nordstrom, but nothing I really liked. Went to DSW where, unfortunately, they only go to size 11. Several shoes there I liked, but 11 is just too small in most instances, and nothing felt comfortable. Re-tried a piar of Jessica Simpson boot that have a 4+ inch heel. This pair seemed tighter than the pair I almost bought a couple months ago. Too bad, as they were marked down to $60. Also went to Shoe Carnival where a similar situation exists with few if any 12s. Again, there were a couple of styles I liked, but they were just too small. Darn big feet!

• 2 months later...

Hi my names Reece I recently thought about trying on some heels at a shoe shop in my town centre any advice,tips, support about doing so? (Btw I'm a 14 year old boy if that helps with the tips, you.may give me)