Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

One nice benefit of trying on heels in stores is that after a while everyone in the store gets to know you. I was back at my local Nordstrom yesterday. Everyone greeted me. One sales girl came over to compliment me on my pants. Even the guys waved hello from a distance. They always bring some new shoes for me to try on, even though I don't always buy. Always fun. My GF tried on several pairs of Jimmy Choo and Prada boots, but we didn't buy. Just a bit too expensive. When I go in the weekend I tend to go after dinner, so the sales staff is not as busy.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a local discount store the other day and saw a pair of size 12 boots I liked. I wear a 13. My wife told me to buy the 12's and if they didn't fit I could return them. Instead, I sat down and tried one on with other shoppers around. My wife tried to stand in front of me to hide what I was doing. It didn't bother me being seen by others. After all, it's Halloween. BTW, the boots were too small.

I spotted a couple of pairs of designer ankle boots on Payless website I really wanted. I visited the local store to see them in person. When arriving I was greeted by a female associate who asked it she could help me find anything. I explained I was looking for a specific ankle boot. She asked if it was in a mens style, I said no, womens and her eyes seemed to light up. She took me to the size 12 section but they had neither of the styles I wanted. She said I could always order online and ship to the store. I was not sure of the fit of size 12 womens so we tried a couple of shoes they had for fit, which turned out OK. She was very helpful and pleasant. We did this right in the isle. Nobody cared. I did order online and ship to the store. She called when they arrived and when I went in to pick them up I got a big wave and a smile when I walked in. She brought me to the back room for a private fitting. The styles I ordered fit great and she commented how nice the boots were and how great they looked. I felt great and will be back to that store again. She made a customer! Turns out she was the manager and so helpful! Be straight forward when shopping and try them on. Jim

Whenever I'm in a Payless I almost always try something on (and I walk in wearing thigh boots). I've almost always had a welcoming reception. I have never ordered from them on line for store delivery as Jimnj3 did but I'd glad to know that was an option that worked.

She called when they arrived and when I went in to pick them up I got a big wave and a smile when I walked in.

How did she know who to call when the boots came in?

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

When ordering online you have to pick your store. It then asks who will be picking them up and what number to call. They also e mail you that they arrived along with UPS tracking numbers after you order. They have a far bigger selection to pick from online. Very easy to do. Jim

I did a ship-to-store order once. It's definitely better then having it sent to a home or apt, if you can't easily receive packages. If you don't know exactly what size you need, you might want to order neighboring sizes. I remember for my order, I ordered a 12W and 13M because I wasn't sure which would be better. I then returned whichever one didn't fit as well. Realize though online doesn't have an infinite selection. There are styles and sizes that become unavailable online which you may still be able to find in a store. In fact, one of my pet peaves (assuming they haven't changed it) is that even if a shoe was no longer available for shipment online, the website should at least let you check local inventory (a feature the stores have).

I have to agree that checking store inventory would be great. They had it several years ago but for some reason stopped. I did call my local store with my lot numbers and size for them to locate but nobody locally had them on hand. I did find that if the size and color of the shoe you want is out of stock online and checking daily the availability did change. The one boot style popped back up as available after about a week of checking and I purchased it instantly. Also, if shipped to the store and fit is not correct they are returnable on the spot. Jim

I was driving by the area and decided to stop by the local Burlington coat factory. They don't always have size 11s but they do have a large selection of 10s that I can sometimes wear comfortably. I tried on a bunch of boots that I really liked right there in the middle of the aisle. A couple of sales people walked by and did not even blink an eye, another shopper spotted me as well and she just pretended not to notice. Its a shame I did not find the boots I was looking for as their prices are very good.

The first few time I bought heels, I didn't try them on, got them home and if they didn't fit I would return them. It took a few times of shopping, but eventually I got to the point that I don't care if somebody is looking at me. After all, maybe they wish they had the balls to be in a shoe store trying on heels!! There is something really amazing when a sales rep is in the back room digging around to find the right pair of shoes for you. A sale is a sale!

I went to BeBe today to exchange some great 5.5" boots that had a defective zipper. They didn't have any size 10s left so they ordered them for me. Disappointed, I went to the Nordstrom Rack and found a few pairs I liked. I only purchased one though...see the pic attached. They are Sam Edelman, S-Vancouver-Miligreen boots. Yes, I tried them on in the store. It was pretty empty and I don't think anyone noticed.

post-9194-133522959913_thumb.jpg

Love those boots!!!

Pretty much too warm in Florida to wear them, but they look amazing!

I went to BeBe today to exchange some great 5.5" boots that had a defective zipper. They didn't have any size 10s left so they ordered them for me. Disappointed, I went to the Nordstrom Rack and found a few pairs I liked. I only purchased one though...see the pic attached.

They are Sam Edelman, S-Vancouver-Miligreen boots.

Yes, I tried them on in the store. It was pretty empty and I don't think anyone noticed.

• 1 month later...

I always try them on in the store before buying. It doesn't matter what store I go to(Steve Madden, Nine West, Bebe, Aldo etc). The sales associates(mostly female) have been very helpful and honest as to how they look on me. I usually wear heels going into the store. It truly is a rush!

I always try them on in the store before buying. It doesn't matter what store I go to(Steve Madden, Nine West, Bebe, Aldo etc). The sales associates(mostly female) have been very helpful and honest as to how they look on me. I usually wear heels going into the store. It truly is a rush!

You brought up a good point. When you wear high heels into a store to try on high heels, the sales associates realize that you do wear high heels in public and you are a potential sale as you try them on.

Recently I order through internet a pair of boots, which ought to be the right size, but were to small. In addition some production errors which were disputed by the store. They asked me to come ion on a day during there would be not that much business, I did and than the person whom I should talk to was not there. That person claimed later on that I was there at a peak hour moment (no other customers, 2 sales ladies "picking their nose") etc. In the end a refund. Another experience, ordering a pair size 14 (womens), they were two sizes down. Boxes were marked wrong. They forwarded a new pair, which would be a 15 but again the markings on the box were altered. They claimed it was caused by the producer... Bu that brings me to the essence of the story, It is very difficult to find boots other than used by tv's or so calles sexy boots in sizes beyond womens size 11, at times 12 US. Any suggestions?

I visited the local Payless this morning. I'm a frequent customer and the manager there is quite nice. I was wearing mary jane wedges and went to try on some oxford heels. The store was quite busy but I could have been trying on steel toe work boots for all anybody cared. For all those who are only thinking about going to try heels on at the store, just go do it. It's not a big deal but it is alot of fun!

post-18641-133522966343_thumb.jpg

Before I would have not done it, but yesterday I was with my 2 step-daughters (who know about my heeling) and they encouraged me to try on a pair I was looking at, which I did. They did not fit right, but it was uplifting to have that kind of support.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did it for the first time today. I've been buying heels for years, never trying them on though. So it's nice out, (50's and sunny in Michigan!) I am at work wearing my usual attire, a button down shirt, shorts, L'eggs Sheer Energy suntan, and sneakers.

I decide that it's so nice out that heel shopping sounds fun. Well ok, when DOESN'T heel shopping sound fun?! Anyway, I went up to the local Payless and when I walked in was greeted and asked if I needed help.

Before I could stop myself, really! I said, "It's such a nice January day I think it merits a few pair of heels." She said something like thats a great idea or something I don't know.

I walked towards the sea flipper section (I wear 13W) and she was standing next to me. No 13W's. But I saw a pair of regular 13's I liked, an oxford style with about a 3.5" heel. Just looked them up on line, These are the shoes So she says that she'd heard that style ran a little big and that I should try them on. Aww what the hell I said to myself.

I sat down and she grabbed a couple of those nylon footie things but when I removed my socks she said, "Oh you already have hose on? Wow I didn't even notice." I told her that I wear hose 24/7 blah blah. She didn't mention my painted toe nails. lol! I put them on and they fit! I walked around a bit, loved them - she being a good salesperson said, "They go really well with your outfit." I sat back down and she says, "You don't like them?" "No, I really do like them a lot!" "Well you can just keep them on and I can just scan the box at the register" as she's putting my ugly boring male shoes in the box the heels just came out of! I looked for another pair, but nothing really looked good.

She commented on how well I walked in them, and how they really did look nice with my outfit and made my legs look so much better. Now I'm 6'4" in pantyhose, now I'm 6'7.5! Call it 6'8"! I paid for my shoes having some more conversation with her, and she took my e-mail address so she could personally notify me when 13W's come in that she thinks I would like! How cool is that! I left the store in my heels, went to Mc D's in my heels and ate lunch, then gas station to fill my jumbo mug with iced tea. Now I'm back here at work.

I gotta say, that was exciting! Payless was great to me. My next stop is the Payless website to write them about my wonderful experience and the awesome sales associate who didn't make judgements. Have a great day guys!

Mike

Well I did it for the first time today. I've been buying heels for years, never trying them on though. So it's nice out, (50's and sunny in Michigan!) I am at work wearing my usual attire, a button down shirt, shorts, L'eggs Sheer Energy suntan, and sneakers.

I decide that it's so nice out that heel shopping sounds fun. Well ok, when DOESN'T heel shopping sound fun?! Anyway, I went up to the local Payless and when I walked in was greeted and asked if I needed help.

Before I could stop myself, really! I said, "It's such a nice January day I think it merits a few pair of heels." She said something like thats a great idea or something I don't know.

I walked towards the sea flipper section (I wear 13W) and she was standing next to me. No 13W's. But I saw a pair of regular 13's I liked, an oxford style with about a 3.5" heel. Just looked them up on line, These are the shoes So she says that she'd heard that style ran a little big and that I should try them on. Aww what the hell I said to myself.

I sat down and she grabbed a couple of those nylon footie things but when I removed my socks she said, "Oh you already have hose on? Wow I didn't even notice." I told her that I wear hose 24/7 blah blah. She didn't mention my painted toe nails. lol! I put them on and they fit! I walked around a bit, loved them - she being a good salesperson said, "They go really well with your outfit." I sat back down and she says, "You don't like them?" "No, I really do like them a lot!" "Well you can just keep them on and I can just scan the box at the register" as she's putting my ugly boring male shoes in the box the heels just came out of! I looked for another pair, but nothing really looked good.

She commented on how well I walked in them, and how they really did look nice with my outfit and made my legs look so much better. Now I'm 6'4" in pantyhose, now I'm 6'7.5! Call it 6'8"! I paid for my shoes having some more conversation with her, and she took my e-mail address so she could personally notify me when 13W's come in that she thinks I would like! How cool is that! I left the store in my heels, went to Mc D's in my heels and ate lunch, then gas station to fill my jumbo mug with iced tea. Now I'm back here at work.

I gotta say, that was exciting! Payless was great to me. My next stop is the Payless website to write them about my wonderful experience and the awesome sales associate who didn't make judgements. Have a great day guys!

Excellent story. Sounds like an open minded salesperson. I wanna find one of those too :-)

Yeah it was crazy. Usually I just scurry in, pick something quick, and scurry out trying not to make eye contact with anyone. This time it was so much fun I'm dying to do it again! There were customers in the store, but I have no idea what they thought or if they even cared. I think it's because I was just so darn open about it, and positive and cheerful that it was just thought of as ok or fun!

Mike

Yeah it was crazy. Usually I just scurry in, pick something quick, and scurry out trying not to make eye contact with anyone. This time it was so much fun I'm dying to do it again! There were customers in the store, but I have no idea what they thought or if they even cared. I think it's because I was just so darn open about it, and positive and cheerful that it was just thought of as ok or fun!

The first time you try heels in a store is not easy but

once done you wonder why you did not do it before.

Good idea to go to the website and write a comment

about your shopping experience and the sales associate.

(Don't forget to mention her name or employee number)

The manager will be happy to read such a good review

about her employee.

We should always do this when we get good quality service in a store.

Well done !

PS: When I send a comment to Aldo website, the store where I made

the purchase automatically receive a copy of my comment so the salesperson

can read it to. And I receive even better service next time I visit them !

Yeah after I left the store yesterday I definitely wondered why I had never asked for help before. It was so much fun! And yes, it is important to let the managers / owners of any business know that their employees are doing a good job. They mostly hear complaints - and a compliment goes a long, LONG way.

Mike

Stiletto2004- You detailed what seemed a surprising experience but what turns out to be for nearly all of us to be fairly typical. It's the revelation that you finally expressed your longheld desire to do something and discovered the world didn't collapse and bogeymen didn't pop out of the woodwork. You were accepted as a human being, and a customer, and it all went well!! I know what you mean about the weather. It was 58 in SE Wisconsin on Wednesday and I went shopping for a bit while wearing a pair of knee boots with 5.5" stiletto heels. Now it is in the teens and 7.5" snowcover, much more typical for this time of year. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and keep going out and enjoying your shopping! HappyinHeels

The Payless shoes staff out here in CA have provided me with great customer service as well. I have contacted the company several times to compliment them on their excellent staff and customer service. When communicating with Payless, I make it obvious that I am a guy who wears womens shoes and appreciate them carrying the larger sizes. I have also done several reviews of their womens shoes, stating that I am a guy, and they have always been published. Give Payless a try!!! sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Thanks Happy! And you're right on SF! I got an email from Erika today - she said that she updated their inventory computer to get some more 13W's. I guess it works on what they sell - if they sell a lot of one size, then the store stocks more of that size. Anyway, they are expecting a shipment on Tuesday of this week, that they'd have it unpacked by Wednesday! So I know where I'm going for my lunch hour on Wednesday...

Mike

I wish the Payless employees here were that open minded.

I'll agree with you on that note. They usually look at me like I'm some weird dude, and attempt to be nice, but there is that aire about them that makes you wonder. They stay out of the way, and try to avoid you as much as posssible.

I have better luck at the JC Penney store.