Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Went to lakeside again today. Tried on a few shoes and brought two pairs. Will post pictures later. Although I didnt try the ones I brought in faith I did try some on again in house of fraisier. I had the same shop assitant as before. Again freindly service and very helpfull. She recognised me immediatly and was happy to help with what ever request I had.Id did start a little converstaion this time and I did ask her this time if they had guys come in buying for themself often and she said you would be suprised. As they have a large selction I will be shopping there more often. I also made a point to send a email to the store commending them on there staff. If anythig I hope it shows the male hear wearing community to be nice freindly people.

I also made a point to send a email to the store commending them on there staff. If anythig I hope it shows the male hear wearing community to be nice freindly people.

Greetings Crazewok :-)

This is a very good idea and I think everybody should do the same if possible.

The more we do it, the more they will carry larger sizes.

I do this from time to time and the store manager is happy to reply to my message.

The employee is also copied on it since I get a nice thank you on my next visit to the store :smile:

Regen you do know that 'karma' will get you sooner or later! think you got a result with $10.00? bet it cased no end of grief for the assistant.Bring it back and youll get more than $10.00 worth of smiles and a few brownie points!

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

Just a note to those that have large feet and may be situated in the Chicago area. I was in the Nordstrom Rack store in Northbrook this morning, and they actaully had about a rack and one-hal;f of size 13 shoes, and even several pairs of size 14. WHile the selction was not great, there definitely were a couple pairs of pumps with heels in the 4" plus range. Myself, I wear an 11 or 12. I tried on a couple pairs today, but nothing suited me. If you happen to be looking for a platform with a five inch or so heel, they have several pairs of those on the racks. I'm not much for platforms, so nothing really caught my eye today. I also tried on heels at a Stein Mart, and good old Payless. It's getting really difficult to find size 12's (and even much in 11's) at my local Payless stores.

I like to try them on in the store. Very rarely will I order off the Internet unless I can't find something in the store. I have several store managers that email or text me when they get new shoes in the store so I can get first pick. There are times I think my wife and I keep shoes stores in business.

5inchforme:-) I think that we all here can say that we keep the shoe stores in business. They provide the product, we provide the sales. After all, that is what they are in business for and a sale is a sale whether to a male or female. They have moved the product off of the shelves. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

DawnHH: I agree with what you said we all do help keep them in business. What I meant by what I said is that the way we are treated in so many of the local shoe stores make us feel like we are the ones keeping them open by our patronage. Each time we go in we are almost always greeted by first name. It is that feeling that keeps us going in and avoiding buying online. We take every avalible chance to treat those business persons with the utmost respect and they do the same for us in kind. I am very grateful for the service they provide.

We are at the mall now in Bakers and I told the ladies here about some of the things that have been said. they agree that it is different to see a man in the store trying on heels but they want to be as helpful as possible. One of the ladies here said," I am happy that you come in here and can make an otherwise ordinary day a little more fun for us and the other girls that work here." Get to know some of the people that you do buy from and you never know what you might find.

5INCHFORME: I've touted the virtues of forging good business relationships by trying on what you buy and allowing sales associates the interaction with the customer. I'm glad that someone else has had a good experience at Bakers. I visited a Bakers in Hyattsville,MD while on a recent trip to DC and the sales girl told me she saw a lot of men buying shoes there. The other very pleasant surprise was that they carried all their styles up to size 11 which is not the typical experience at Bakers. I recently, however, bought a shoe called "TEAGAN" in size 10 and, because I tried it out in the store, I saw that it fit rather well. It is something different for the girls to see men in the store, it's a break for them and a chance for you, the male consumer of high heels to show your confidence and a chance for them, the purveyors of the product, to rise to the occasion and embrace a whole new world of customers. The more we frequent these stores be it a Bakers, DSW, Aldo, NineWest, and many others, the more others will become aware of our presence and the more the retail industry will also take notice. Like I have also said before though go through their door with sincerity and confidence, the attuned salesgirl knows you are buying the heels for YOU, so act the part!! Denise S.

Happyinheels: I am so very pleased with the ladies that we interact with. Either my wife or I will go into the store (we both go quite often as well) and one of the ladies will introduce us to a new employee. I think that right there shows me that they are happy to have our business and we will go there for a long time. It is a blast when we see our ladies in the store or out in public. Sometimes they will run up to us and show off a new purchase that they have made. I always thought that was sweet. In my wifes line of work she sees quite a few of our ladies and helps them with the same kindness and proffessionalism that they will show us.

I really can't. Feet are too big, so I must buy on-line. :)

Try Payless Shoes they sell sizes 11,12,13. I wear size 12 heel that I buy from Payless and from eBay. I've gotten 1 to 5 pair from Payless.

:smile: to cheer you up!

jwhite-- The "TEAGAN" shoe is as comfortable to wear as it is sexy to look at! I'll have a chance in May to go somewhere and dress-up and this is certainly a shoe I'd consider taking. It would be good for eating out, going to a movie, or certainly clubbing. Or perhaps just to meet others on this forum! HappyinHeels

ALL-- I'm looking at any events I could attend in mid-May where I could go get makeup and nails done then go out for a night. I'm close to Chicago but also know of a store in te Detroit area that does makeovers and takes you out. I might just as well settle for getting together for coffee or a meal with some of our forumers here. I have my own clothes (and shoes of course) which I'm dying to wear out where it counts since I haven't had a chance to fully dress (and REALLY REALLY enjoy those heels) in over four years now. Going out fully-dressed or just in your heels like many here do is one thing but isn't it SO much more enjoyable when enjoyed with others?? Any ideas or suggestions now is the time! Thanks! HappyinHeels

ALL--

I'm looking at any events I could attend in mid-May where I could go get makeup and nails done then go out for a night. I'm close to Chicago but also know of a store in te Detroit area that does makeovers and takes you out. I might just as well settle for getting together for coffee or a meal with some of our forumers here. I have my own clothes (and shoes of course) which I'm dying to wear out where it counts since I haven't had a chance to fully dress (and REALLY REALLY enjoy those heels) in over four years now. Going out fully-dressed or just in your heels like many here do is one thing but isn't it SO much more enjoyable when enjoyed with others?? Any ideas or suggestions now is the time!

Thanks!

HappyinHeels

HappyinHeels,

If you're close to Chicago, give Transformations by Rori a try. They are in Arlington Heights, a northwest suburb, and in addition to the clothing store and wig shop, they do make-up sessions, etc and sponsor nights out. Look them up on the web, you might find what you're looking for. I've been in the store looking for shoes, but I'm not really a full dress-up type, so I do not have personal experience on their services and nights out events, but everything I've read has been absolutely positive.

RonC- Thanks for your idea. I actually bought a dress and an electric blue blazer there to go with my electric blue Victoria pumps I got at Bakers last December. They used to have a nail technician there a few years ago but she moved on so I assumed the makeover service went as well. I'll have to give them a second look. It would be much easier to have a night out in Chicago than to travel several hours somewhere else. I'm sure it'll all work out! HappyinHeels

RonC- Thanks for your idea. I actually bought a dress and an electric blue blazer there to go with my electric blue Victoria pumps I got at Bakers last December. They used to have a nail technician there a few years ago but she moved on so I assumed the makeover service went as well. I'll have to give them a second look. It would be much easier to have a night out in Chicago than to travel several hours somewhere else. I'm sure it'll all work out!

HappyinHeels

They definitely still have the makeover service. Never done that, so I know nothing of personnel, but I know they still off the service. See their web site Q & A area for some additional info.

I've starting getting a lot braver and just try shoes/boots on not worrying about who is around.

I tried heels on in 3 stores the other other day and ended up buying in 2 of them.

You bought two shoe stores? Wow!!!!!!:smile::)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.