Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Imroter, Like I said earlier on you can't fool the vast majority of sales associates as they know who you are shopping by how you appear in the store. Women, in general and around the world, are very attuned to their surroundings and notice these things. When you are approached by an employee just say what you are looking for-now the pressure is off and this sales agent can now help you, which is exactly why they are there. If you wear a pair of heels under your jeans or however suits you then it is obvious to them and they SHOULD treat you like any other money-carrying customer. What others have said here is important---you have to show CONFIDENCE and the world will respond in kind.

I have only been wearing heels for seven months. I learned right away to tell the sales people the shoes are for you instead of making up some sort of goofy story. Many times they can help you find something that will fit you well. Take advantage of their knowledge and experience. As far as you being afraid to tell them, they already know who is going to wear them. If you try this you will be more successful.

• 1 month later...

sadly I dont try them on!! dont have the need to, so that takes away the need to try them out in the shops!! wife is the same size or very very close, so she tries them on and tels me, they are tight here or there, they hurt my toes, so they will be no good for you!! or they will be great, they are just perfect, or they a little loose on me and will be perfect on you!! LOL!!! my feet are a little wider, and so she does all the fitting for me, and she is always spot on!! works great for us!!:blinkbigeyes:

FXHH:-) You have the best of both worlds in your wife advising whether the shoes will fit you or her. Cudos! Besides that, it is still a lot of fun shoe shopping together. Mickey and I haven't been able to do that for quite a while now. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I have since found that UK7 in girls shoes is my perfect fit. Strange as i take an UK8 in my normal shoes. Now I just go into a store and ask for the shoes from the net/window in a "size 7please" and they have fitted just right. I also add if i've screwed up with these can i bringthem back. I'll be honest i never say there for me i buy them when i go into town try them on in my car maybe and if they dont fit i take them back and say i didnt buy the right size for my other half ect. Anyway thats how i do it not brave i know but it suits me me.

To ALL-- I've been following this particular thread a while now as it seems to be something of "a confidence indicator" or I'll call it a "heel-o-meter", a scale on which we measure our own progress in understanding, and ultimately enjoying, this aspect of our lives. Trying on shoes is SOOOOOOOOO far preferable to just grabbing and running to the register w/o trying them on. Finding places and building a rapport with the sales staff does two things immediately; it builds a retail relationship on which to build and lifts one's confidence. Places where I have personally bought and tried on (or know to be very friendly to guys buying heels) are Bakers, Payless, Aldo, DSW, Target, Skyscraperheels in CHicago, and NineWest. This should provide those wondering about this topic some places to start with. There are others I'm sure of like all the shoe stores in West Hollywood or the ElectriqueBoutique stores in the Dallas area. This is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. If you can incorporate some heels into your daily wear when you shop it can add yet another dimension to the experience HappyinHeels

I used to buy more in-store, but even then I couldn't gather the courage to try on what I was buying. I was embarassed enough by having to scour the racks/aisles, but it was also very time-consuming, having to hop from store to store and try to find your (possibly very rare) size. On many occasions I'd find better prices through an online retailer. These days, I mostly go with online shopping for better deals and faster shopping. I pay a little for returns on occasion and wait a little for shipping, but mostly it's a great convenience - being able to shop at work, compare prices, etc. I do agree that you could be missing out on a fun, satisfying in-store shopping experience when you've got a great saleperson helping you out. heelaphile aka "May"

Mickey and I haven't been using any on-line shopping yet. We have had great success shopping the catalogs that are delivered to our home and have been doing that for several years now. Works for us. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Mickey and I haven't been using any on-line shopping yet. We have had great success shopping the catalogs that are delivered to our home and have been doing that for several years now. Works for us.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

My wife received also receives a "ton" of catalogs each week. Almost every company has a website. One of the ways she enjoys using them is to find something that she would like to order and then give the marked catalog to me and ask me to order the item on line for her. Should she have questions concerning the sizes available and/or material, etc., she will call the company and talk with a customer service representative. Easy peesy.....

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I was in Payless the other night, and when I walked in, the young girl clerk ask if she could help me. I said I was looking for the womens size 12 area, and she pointed me in the right direction (of course, I already knew where that was!). She said they didn't have much in size 12, but if I saw something in a smaller size that I liked, she could order them for me and I could get a discount to boot. In any event, she knew I was shopping for myself, and I tried on several pairs while in store. True to her word, there were very few 12s (and this particular location had a large selection not that long ago...damn it), so I was also looking at 11W, which in many instances has a similar fit, maybe even better for me in some styles. Granted, the store was empty (snowy nights are good for heel shopping if you don't like crowds), but I was comfortable in that store, and the clerk certainly didn't care what I tried on.

• 1 month later...

I agree - I am trying them on more and more at the stores. I tell the sales assistant that they are for me and they are fine with that. It can be fun - go for it. Bernheels

So far I have only bought two pairs of female shoes. 1 pair of flats (by American Eagle), and a pair of 4" black sandals (.5" base) by Delicious.

The first pair I bought (the 4" black sandals) were on sale for $20 (regular is $35). I didn't try this pair on in the store just because I was so nervous with it being my first shopping experience. Furthermore, I didn't have an excuse like my next example. What was dissapointing about this buy was that they were woman's size 11 (US) instead of 13's.

The second pair I bought (the AE flats) (link below) I had a bit more leeway with. Halloween was approaching and I had decided to crossdress as the girl from the grudge for my school's "haunted tour". So I went around various stores buying many items. The hardest item to find was the shoes!!! I ended up going to a payless store with 6 print outs of many styles of flats i was looking for. There was one pair that worked for me (the glimmer shoes). So I traveled all the way into the middle of Chicago, Illinois to get a pair inside a large Payless store. When inside, i asked them that i was looking for the pair and they had somewhat of an odd look to themselves. As soon as i told them the reason (the tour), they eased off and laughed.

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?skuId=073916080&productId=66095&subCatId=cat10276&catId=cat10088&lotId=073916&category=&catdisplayName=Womens++

Was in DC on business recently and looked up the closest Bakers store to my DC hotel suspecting that, just perhaps, this store may carry more selecton in size 11 than the Bakers stores I had visited in Chicago and Milwaukee and.....I was right! I talked with the girl behind the counter a while and when I decided on a pair went back to the counter to pay. I took out my "B" discount card and she asked if the card belonged to my wife or me to which I replied "Why do you ask a question you already know the answer to?" She laughed and said she indeed already knew I was buying or myself which backs up what I have always said on this forum-that is be up frot with the sales associates you meet-which are invariably women-since they are attuned to their surroundings and can't be easily fooled. They ARE there to help, and sell shoes. The quicker you are up front with them allows them to help you that much faster and the faster you can get the heels on your feet--which is the point of this forum, now isn't it?? Onward and Upward!! HappyinHeels

Today I was in town (Amsterdam) by myself and because my wife is looking for a certain type of shoes, I was on the lookout for them as well. I spotted some in a shop that were close to what she is looking for. Her problem however is that she has rather big feet (size 42), so I asked the girl to what size these shoes came. She went down to look and then came up with a box and said that they went to 41. I told her that it was a pity because my wife takes 42. She said that she had brought up the 41, just in case. I am sure she thought it was for me and that she wouldn't have been surprised if I would have wanted to try them on. Not that time (I have similar shoes already :smile:). It just goes to show, that, unless they are new, the people in the shop have seen it all before anyway. Just be quiet and do your thing and let the people assist you. They do want to help you. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Well my attitudes changed alot in the past week. Now If I go shoe shopping I dont try pretending there not for me and the sale assitants can easly see there for me and treat me as such. I dont try them on though unless invited as I know rom there perspetive It might upset other customers even if they ok with it.

So far I have only bought two pairs of female shoes. 1 pair of flats (by American Eagle), and a pair of 4" black sandals (.5" base) by Delicious.

The first pair I bought (the 4" black sandals) were on sale for $20 (regular is $35). I didn't try this pair on in the store just because I was so nervous with it being my first shopping experience. Furthermore, I didn't have an excuse like my next example. What was dissapointing about this buy was that they were woman's size 11 (US) instead of 13's.

The second pair I bought (the AE flats) (link below) I had a bit more leeway with. Halloween was approaching and I had decided to crossdress as the girl from the grudge for my school's "haunted tour". So I went around various stores buying many items. The hardest item to find was the shoes!!! I ended up going to a payless store with 6 print outs of many styles of flats i was looking for. There was one pair that worked for me (the glimmer shoes). So I traveled all the way into the middle of Chicago, Illinois to get a pair inside a large Payless store. When inside, i asked them that i was looking for the pair and they had somewhat of an odd look to themselves. As soon as i told them the reason (the tour), they eased off and laughed.

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?skuId=073916080&productId=66095&subCatId=cat10276&catId=cat10088&lotId=073916&category=&catdisplayName=Womens++

So a few days ago, I went back to the Payless Shoe Source in the middle of Chicago where I had bought my pair of glimmer flats. The same lady that had sold me the flats was there working again. I instinctively went into the women's size 13 section after not having been there for 4 months and quickly started skimming around to see something nice. Within 30 seconds or so of searching, the lady comes up to me and asks me if I needed help. I told her "no, it's ok" and she said "ok" and walked off. I continued looking around and for the next 10 minutes, I tried 2 pairs of heels (luckily, the store was relatively empty with no one in my isle) and found that I really liked them. I grabbed both pairs and moved up to the cash register. There, the lady is waiting for me. She asks me if I wanted slip resistant rubbers for the soles "for her". And I responded "No I dont need them." She asked me to repeat myself 2 more times before she finally realized I was the same guy from 4 months ago. She asked if I was here for more shoes for a play at my school after I gave her my email address and I responded "yes, I am" with a chuckle. I was still a bit nervous since there was another customer there with her child next to her, waiting for the transaction to finish. The total came out to $49.51. I gave two 20's and a 10. She rings it out as $60 and gives me 10.49 back. I was thinking to myself "F*** YEA! LOL" thanked her for the purchase, and walked out of the store a happy guy, paying only $40 instead of $50. I will probably go to the store again in the near future. :smile:

And yes, I tried on both pairs of heels that I was buying.

I tried on heels in the shop for the first time today, it was fun. It was a shop when they have all sizes on the shelf, so I didn't actually get any help for a sales assistant, so I guess that'll be the next step. I bought them to celebrate.

Regen, Didn't anyone ever teach you to be honest? Taking that extra $10 that did not rightfully belong to you was a dishonest thing to do. You would have screamed bloody murder if you had given her $60 and she didn't give you enough change. The right thing to do was to call the mistake to her attention and hand the extra money back. I'm disappointed in you, and would like to think that most of my friends here are honest and above that. Please tell me that when you go back next time, you'll return it. It is not the same as finding $10 laying on the sidewalk somewhere. Steve

.. Her problem however is that she has

rather big feet (size 42), so I asked the girl to what size these

shoes came. She went down to look and then came up with a

box and said that they went to 41. I told her that it was a pity

because my wife takes 42. She said that she had brought up the

41, just in case...

Shame you're not like the other couple on the site who have exactly the same shoe size. Definitely would have been advantageous in a situation like this.

REGAN, Forgot to address this topic. That sawbuck the store mistakenly gave you may have been a $10 boost in your pocket but it was a $10 HOLE in the that particular clerk's till at the end of her shift. A business always will hold the clerk responsible or the clerk will catch the mistake and chip the missing amount themself. The Midwest region of the United States is famous for it's HONESTY---so you know your next stop is the Payless at Pulaski Rd. and Madison where you will find that same clerk, or if she is not there, will locate the on-duty manager, and explain yourself. AFter all, REGAN, I referred you to a friend of mine, I'd like to think I have referred him a customer and not a potential thief. The easy way is to say you were home when you discovered the mistake and came back at the first chance. The harder way is to simply admit you discovered it much sooner and were too lazy or dishonest to return the extra money. But you know what you need to do, don't you????? While it is true you are finding your place in this world there is always time to make it an honest journey. I know you'll do the right thing. HappyinHeels America's Dairyland