Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

One of the coolest things that ever happened to me while I was trying on shoes was when the lady was very curious about it. She asked all sorts of questions about why, and do I like them, and etc. and I just thought it was a really cool experience. Just go for it, no one really cares enough to say anything.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

I had an interesting experience today. I decided to check out the Macy's near my work. I have bought shoes there before, but seldom tried them on. The store was slow today and there was a young woman working whom I had never seen. The selection in the store is not good and the prices are high and they never seem to have anything on clearance in an 11, so normally I just browse. If I do try anything on it is usually just off the rack and I slip it on without anybody noticing. I found a pair of purple Rampage boots in a size 10. I can normally wear Rampage in a 10, so I knew if I wanted to get them, I needed to try them. They were all of $20, so in my mind if I wore them twice I would get my money's worth. So, in violation of my rule about keeping my heeling away from the town where I work, I pulled up a seat, and slipped them on. They fit pretty well, well well enough for a couple of wears. The woman working saw me, her eyes got as big a saucers and she had to clear her throat before she could ask if I needed help. When checking out, I could ell she was shocked, but she was polite, though not enough to engage in conversation. I knew she had to be pretty new, because I don't care where you sell shoes, it is not a matter of if but when a guy tries on and buys a pair of heels. I may be wrong, but I know it is much more common than even we think. So just go for it. As for me I am giving up silly rules.

Style is built from the ground up!

well, have not yet had the courage to try them out in the shop!! and to make it even worse wife is the same shoe size so makes it easier not to have to try on shoes in the shop!! however, am getting to the point where am going to start trying them on in the shops, in the very nearby future, just to be me and stir and get reaction from people!! maybe that will get people used seeing men in heels!! :grin::w00t2:;-)

I think one of the toughest things to understand is that people generally don't care all that much. One time I went to a Charlotte Russe (they have pretty cute heels for really good prices) and as I walked to the back of the store where all the heels are there were about 4-5 women looking at the shoes as well. So I looked and finally chose a pair and asked one of the employees to get my size. As soon as she brings them out and I begin to try them on there was NO ONE in the shoe section of the store. I just chuckled to myself and walked around in them making sure they fit. Now, everyone could've just been shopping in that section, but I like to think that they left because of me. I think just taking a sort of spiteful attitude makes for the best way to get confidence to try them on.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

...I like to think that they left because of me...

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you samcar...but who cares ?

More important for YOU is the fact you did try them in the store to make sure they fit before buying.

Happy heeling !

I always wore (U.K. size 9) Ritual shoes of london 6 inch leather pumps with no platform, then I had a stroke! I find the pleaser kiss range comfortable and nice now, they have a 2 inch platform and a six inch heel and look sensational in my size. I can walk in them no bother, give them a try!

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you samcar...but who cares ?

More important for YOU is the fact you did try them in the store to make sure they fit before buying.

Happy heeling !

Exactly. And like I said, if they left because of me. Then haha. I have disrupted their shopping experience. ;-)

I have bought several pairs at high-end stores like Nieman-Marcus (after 40% off), but I have never tried them on. I have a good idea what my size is, so it usually works out. I'm wondering if there might be more resistance at more expensive stores, assuming a salesperson does not want to offend some rich lady who might drop thousands of dollars a year on shoes at thier store.

Hi Daniel, love them boots in your picture, what are they and where do you get them, lovely!!!!

Greatings jimslimbs and welcome to this board ! The boots in my avatar are from Aldo.

The model name is "Taggart". I simply love them and they are one of my favorite pair (And VERY comfortable).

I tried to locate them for you in the Aldo UK website site but it looks like they are not there !

So here is the link to the Aldo Canadian website: http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/women/boots/ankle-boots/69711927-taggart/97

Maybe you could go to an Aldo store in your area and ask for them ?

BTW, did you know you can reply to multiple messages in one post using the "Multi-Quote" button ?

Happy heeling !

The last time I bought heels in a shop as opposed to online was my Randil boots from Faith in the Metro Centre. Ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered trying them on as I have several pairs of Faith boots, but I had to ask the assistant for them in my size and when she came back she asked if I wanted to try them on. Of course it would have been rude to say no... ;-)

when i buy my heel boot ,the salesman ask me if i want to try it and i say yes. he bring me 3 or 4 pairs , at this moment we're 2 guys and 1 girl trying heels in the store and exchange comment about the feeling and color of boots.

Exactly. And like I said, if they left because of me. Then haha. I have disrupted their shopping experience.

I wouldn't say that's quite true. I would say their own worldview is what disrupted their shopping experience when it came into contact with that which was outside their worldview.

I dated a girl who, during every movie we went to, whenever someone would curse, she would say, "taking the Lord's name in vain..."

I mean, really! I didn't know he had so many names! But that was her worldview, and it's sad, really, as she'd get so hung up on those things that she failed to enjoy life.

I didn't date her long...

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I used to be rather close minded. I used to be very snobbish with music and very judgmental with people as well (to cite a few examples). But I've since tried to be a more open person to different tastes and personalities. Not everyone is the same, and in this world we have to grow to understand everyone, or at least give them a chance to be understood.

Though I'm not a guy I don't fully relait. But I GREATLY feel for the not finding your size on the store self. Having a common size foot brings the same problem as a large foot. My size is usealy out of stock even the next size up is out. Ehich leaves either coming back later that week or next week. Or just buying online....found buying online unless getting at like Wal-Mart, Meijer, or Target. Got a Kohls and Macys in the area but those are VERY costly for just causal everyday wear. Payless here is a BIG joke. Now there is a couple shoe only stores that have like 10k on floor stock but they have next to no heels =.= Which buying at Target if you can't find it in the store get on Amazon.com which then you buy from the stock in ANY Target store since Amazon is Targets online retailer

Samcar455, you mentioned Charlotte Russe for heels. As far as I have seen they only carry up to size 10 (US), not even an 11. Do they have larger sizes than 10 in your area?

Samcar455, you mentioned Charlotte Russe for heels. As far as I have seen they only carry up to size 10 (US), not even an 11. Do they have larger sizes than 10 in your area?

It does seem that 10 is the general limit. I haven't been to there in a while (no moneys) so I can't really remember for sure. You might be able to check their online store for more sizes.

I had a breakthrough experience for myself recently. I went into an Aldo, and straight up asked for my size (42) in a great looking velvet pump with a slightly pointed toe, probably 4" heel, maybe higher. She said they don't even carry 42 in the store, the largest is 41. So I asked for a 41, and they only had a 40. Then she asked if "she" needed them today, and I finally did it - I said it. "They're actually for me." She was a little shocked, but retained her professional standpoint, and treated me like a customer. She said they might be able to order them - alas, that particular style was not available in size 42 at all. I walked away empty handed. I did try one shoe on in the store. It was a black pointy-toed stiletto, size 41, just to see if it fit. Sure enough, it fits my foot like a size 10, which is too tight. I need an 11. To be honest, I was genuinely disappointed that I walked away empty handed. I took a look at all the other department stores in that mall, and they all only went up to size 10. Arg. Ended up at Shoe Carnival where I purchased the "Jasmine" - a black, mild pointy-toe pump with a 4" heel and a strap across the instep - flat black in color. Very nice, only $15. I might post a picture if anyone is interested.

...I went into an Aldo...I did try one shoe on in the store. It was a black pointy-toed stiletto, size 41, just to see if it fit. Sure enough, it fits my foot like a size 10, which is too tight. I need an 11.

Well done Saturn :winkiss:

FYI, the shoes from Aldo run small (narrow) for their size but the boots are OK

You may want to take a look at Spring shoes, which is a sister company.

Their shoes are less expensive and are a litle bit wider than Aldo.

Try this link http://www.myspringshoes.com/us

Happy heeling !

Just like buying anything else, I always try them on. I usually dont get much reaction to it. Most time there are only women around and they dont seem to mind to much. A couple of times I have had women take up conversation with me while looking at shoes. Once I was shopping for shoes while wearing heels and a lady noticed my shoes and asked how I liked them. She was looking at a pair just like the ones I had on. It was kind of strange at first but she seemed genuine and took my advice. As has been said many times I am sure the most important thing is to be confident in yourself and go for it.:winkiss:

I went to the Nine West shop in downtown Chicago on Saturday. I did phone ahead to inquire if they carried size 12, and to get a feel for the store clerk. She was quite nice and had no problem wahtsoever with me trying on shoes. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything at all that I liked in a 12 (a few pairs of those hideous long nose pointed pumps that make a size 12 look like about a 20!) and one pair of chunky heel pumps that had to be at least 5". I couldn't even walk in those things! A stiletto at five inches is easier to manuver in than a chunky heel shoe in my opinion. I tried on two pair in size 11 but, while I could get them on, they were too snug to wear for long or walk any distance in. Anyway, the point was that there is yet another Nine West store where you will be treated quite nicely if you want to try on shoes. There is another Nine West in the business district that I will also try in the future, as the clerk there also indicated that they cariied size 12 and she had no problem with me trying on shoes. Unfortunately, they are closed on Saturday, and I'm not sure I'm prepared to try on heels mid-day during the work week with that many people that can see in through the windows! Maybe eventually, but not quite yet!

I never shopped for heels except online - however, the next pair i'll get will be bought only after I tried the pair. I want them to fit perfectly, so I'll do just like everyone do : try the shoes before buying them, just like I would do when buying men shoes.

It's interesting. I've discovered a great phenomena regarding trying on heels. If you walk in, and the customers and sales clerks are making YOU nervous or uncomfortable, then it's going to be a nerve-wracking experience for you. However, when you build your confidence up enough to where you don't care, you can actually make THEM a little uncomfortable! I don't mean in a bad way. I mean in a good way. The clerk sees you looking at shoes and you ask to try some on, and they think "Wow, this person is not ashamed at all... I guess I can't say anything about this." Bottom line - when I was nervous and ashamed, I got more negative comments. It's almost like people can sense the weakness! Now that I am confident and I don't really care, the clerks are treating me more like a regular customer and not an "oddball." This making any sense to anyone?

Yesterday i went to dillards to aquire the sandals in my avatar, and i was fully ready to try them on, i walk in, talk to a sales associate (an 18 year old kid named jace), and we just started to chit chat back and forth, and i told him what i was looking for in a size 11, and he was totally cool with it. He went into the back room, and they didn't have my size (i was heart broken), so we proceeded to order them, but their computers were down, so we waited for about 15 20 minutes, and we just were shooting the breeze. other sales associates came over and started talking as well, it was totally mellow, and anti climatic. I am under the impression, that we are nervious about trying them on because we are afraid of what others think. I believe if we go in, calm and collected, and not care what they think, and even just talk to them just for conversation, the experience no longer becomes nerve wracking, but just a daily walk in the park, or a casual conversation with your close friend. eitherway the shoes are on their way, and i am sad i didn't get to try them on :winkiss: