Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

I'm not sure how everybody else buys their heels but for me being a self tagged closet CD I usually buy my heels either online and sometimes right on the store but without trying them on. My question is: do you usually try the heels you are about to buy at the store or do you buy by guessing the size and then exchange them for the appropriate size if they don't fit? For those who buy at the store what is the usual reaction you get from other shoppers and the sales people? Tiffany

Some of mine have come from stores such as Fredericks or similar. They expect you to try them on, just like any customer. We have known a couple of people who have or had shoe stores specializing in high heels and who know about my heels, so it hasn't been a problem. Most of mine come from the Internet, as I prefer the higher heels and sandals/slides. The nice, stylish boots from 9 West or Zappos or others in the mall don't come in my size (13 and 14), so I am not a customer there.

Hi tiffany

and welcome to this board.

I've been like you and buying all shoes either from internet or in stores and then trying them on at home, sometimes using the 14 days return option.

But I think it was a real thrill to try on a pair of boots in the store, check out this thread;

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/6983-i_couldnt_resist_i_bought_bronx_boots.html

I've only done it once, but I can assure you that it will happen again....

My favourite boots: Bronx Scarlet Hi, as in my avatar.

I buy alot on ebay but when my gf and I go shopping, she or we will pick out a pair for me and she has me try them on in the store to see how they look and then I usually just leave them on and walk out. The reactions I have had from the sales lady's are usually very confident then there are those who are the "OH WELL "but mostly all good and as for the other costumers,well they are to busy doing there own thing. They might glance over at what we're doing but then just go about their business like it's nothing. No big deal. Just do as if you are trying on a pair of tennis shoes. No body really cares and I'm thinking thats the reason for this post, huh? No fear!They're only shoes and thats all.

real men wear heels

http://s116.photobuc...nt=mesears2.flv

http://s116.photobuc...=Picture009.flv

I wore these boots out of the store and walked all over the mall that day and have wore them everywhere sense. They were so comftorable ,I couldn't take them off and the girls at Bakers shoes that sold them to me complemented me alot and even suggesed I wear them out of the store they looked so good. Hope you enjoy.

real men wear heels

Yes I have tried on many pairs of shoes & boots in various stores, both in the UK & US, only once had a bad reaction , and that was very recently where a small independant shop had a "no men" policy--they were extremely uncomfortable about me even browsing, only allowing it because no-one else was in the store, technically I'm sure they were breaking the law by operating a discriminatory policy. Other than that, no problems, in fact I'm sure that a guy trying on heels gives them something interesting to talk about. Heelium

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.

I try them on at the store. Sometimes it's to check the fit, other's it's to see if they look as good on me as they did the shelf. Depending on the mood I'm in I usually just try them in the open, I haven't had a bad experiance yet. One time I was trying on black ankle cut stiletto pointed toe boots and I took 2 steps and the zipper bust on them. I showed the lady working the shoes and she said well I guess I better put them out back, no sence leaving them out. And a younger girl also working the shoe dept. said that they've had alot of them come back becouse of that and the helped me find another size 10, of course there weren't any..... sorry, got off topic, but yeah, that was a good experiance for trying them on. Sometimes if I want to try something on I think is a little too daring for me, I'll hide them under jeans then go to a changeroom to try them on. I did this with a pair of Black Patent 3.5 inch chunky heel mary janes last week. I'm usually not into shoes that femme, but they really interested me. But once I had them on I didn't like the look, so I put them back.

Only in my young teens I was too nervous to try anything in the shop and bought "For the girlfriend", but this lead to many misfits and disasters. However, for years, I've tried ALL my shoes before buying. Not only has this lead to successful fitting, but a spin-off is all the most enjoyable fuss and attention that I and fellow members get from gorgeous and enthusiastic salesgirls! I avoid most salesguys (as they're sometimes a bit sniffy), but 99% of the girls are absolutely fantastic, especially as more and more guys are apparently 'coming out' and trying on the ladies' large sizes. I wouldn't miss it for the worlds! It's one of the best things about the whole streetheeling experience. Oh yes, and I always wear the out of the shop! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Fitting is such an issue for me it is almost a absolute must to try before buying. Now doing business from the mail I look for free return shipping or good customer assistance to determine the proper fit.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

When i buy heels in the store, i try them on. There is nothing more annoying than spending a lot of money for heels, only to discover that you have to drive back to the store to change them.... I bought my favourite heels in germany, at "Blicker's" in Hamburg - they have a lot of styles in sizes up to EU 48, but not really cheap... It's really nice there, because they are used to men in heels...

Who the heck is General Failure and why is he reading my Disk?

I seem to be buying online quite a bit at the moment, largely because none of the shops have really had anything that took my fancy. I have tried heels on in the shop though, and the sales assistants have always been very friendly and helpful. I've always looked for female staff though, as I find them more approachable and believe women to be generally less judgmental than men. Chris

Like chris, I also buy my shoes online since size 13's aren't available in mainstream stores. But, on the rare occasions I found something at Payless that I liked, yes, I'd try them on in the store. I have zero compunction about that.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

... No body really cares and I'm thinking thats the reason for this post, huh? No fear!They're only shoes and thats all.

Yes, I guess it's mostly fear. Mostly it's from cute girls around (shopping/selling). I know I probably wont date them or even meet them but there's something about it that sometimes makes me turn around and prevent me from even buying a pair without even trying them on.

I guess I shouldn't be too preocupied with what other people think.

If the shop have the shoes/boots I am interested in I'll try them on in the shop. But since I need US woman size 13-14 I can't find anything in the "normal" shops but have to shop where they have larger sizes and then of course they are used to male customers.

As a result of my size I buy most shoes/boots over the net.

I do have one shop nearby in Malmoe/Sweden (www.kingsizeskor.se) where they have a reasonable selection now a days but they are on the expensive side (7 SEK = 1 USD). (FYI:Damskor=Ladies shoes) They are of course used to having male customers and they are very friendly. Sometimes they actually asks how the last pair worked out and if I was happy with them. They even remembers which pairs I bought last time.... Impressive I think.

I was in Paris about a month ago and found quite a lot of shops with larger sizes but nothing really fancied me in most of them. I tried a few pairs and the staff were friendly there. But it is hard to make conversation with them unless you speak french.

One shop had a great selection (www.sacapuce.fr) up to size EU48 which is US woman 16 or something like that. But the staff there were the exception to the rule. When I asked for different models in my size they sure enough brought them but then they left again for some computerwork and I had to go over to them to ask them for some other model/size. Maybe they were used to male customers wanting to mind their own business without much assistance. I ended up buying these boots http://www.sacapuce.fr/grandes-tailles/img/photos/bottes/photos/cepalenoir.html

Now I am looking forward to go to London in March for some more heel shopping :wink:

/admirer

Fitting is such an issue for me it is almost a absolute must to try before buying. Now doing business from the mail I look for free return shipping or good customer assistance to determine the proper fit.

Ancient proverb: "Very bad luck to buy shoe without first trying on.":jap:

It just makes sense! I recently bought a pair of pants at Wal-Mart that the label said was my size without trying them on. They turned out to be 2" too big in the waist and 2" too long in the legs. So from now on I'm trying-on all my clothing before I buy. If some store clerk doesn't like it, I'll take my money and my custom elsewhere! The same thing goes for prices, too. If they don't want to sell at the advertised price they can keep their merchandise. There are plenty of other shops around where I can take my business.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I do have one shop nearby in Malmoe/Sweden (www.kingsizeskor.se) where they have a reasonable selection now a days but they are on the expensive side

Try this one: http://www.pehrssonsskohus.dk/

I visited once, but didn't have the guts to buy.

I have this desire to just go into a shop and buy a pair of heels as if it was the most natural thing in the world, but since few stores carry my size, it's not realistic. Internet for me.

Try this one: http://www.pehrssonsskohus.dk/

I visited once, but didn't have the guts to buy.

I have this desire to just go into a shop and buy a pair of heels as if it was the most natural thing in the world, but since few stores carry my size, it's not realistic. Internet for me.

I have also been there (latest were last Friday actually) but they didn't have much in EU45. The only thing they could offer were the more fetish style platform / thighhigh boots but that doesn't work for me to be out in public in. It is "sligthly" over the top.... smile

Pumps:

Have you ever been to Kingsizeskor? If you find anything you like on their website it can be worth a visit. It is only some 50-60 km from you I guess.

Living so close to each other we should meet up sometime, what do you think? A mini heel meet in southern Sweden? :wink: Or maybe Copenhagen? I am open for almost any Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully we can get someone else coming too.

See also your PM box, will not bore everyone else here with details.

I used to never do it but have tried a few pairs on in recent years without any problems. I still for some reason feel very self conscious doing it if I am by myself. In a group or with my wife much less so. When I was buying one of my first pairs of heels about 15 years ago the sales girl asked me, without missing a beat, if I wanted to try them on. I was not expecting this and it floored me. I stammered a no thank you and just bought the shoes. In retrospect she probably had sold many shoes to men and it was no big deal to her.

• Like 1

From my personal experience, I wear size 11 the majority of the time, and even an 11 is hard to find in some stores. So I have been used to shopping only online and ebay to find what I am looking for... However as a new years resolution I went into a story on new years eve and bought a pair, even though I didn't try them on there, but I wish I had because they of course didn't fit and didn't have the size I needed... Needless to say I took them back but it still kind of is a hassle to do so... I need to go buy some b4 the season is up! it's getting too clsoe and I need a couple new pair... Jeff

I used to buy and hope but I am now more comfortable trying on in the store. As with most people here, I usually look for female help. Sometimes I get a surprised look, a smile, and "Sure, go ahead" if I ask if it's OK to try something on. A couple of times come to mind. I wore knee highs into an "Adult" shop because I wanted to try on a pair of Jante thigh high boots. The young lady was very helpful and commented on how easily I walked. I said they were nice but I couldn't afford them now. Before I could leave, she had me trying on pumps and sandals and commented on each. I'm sure she was trying to make a sale but there seemed to be more interest than just that. Another time in mainstream shop, I asked to try on a pair of heeled sandals with ankle straps. This time the male clerk said no problem, so I looked for a discreet part of the store to sit down. He followed me and helped do up the ankle strap for me. It drew several surprised looks and smiles, but no comments. It's a less frustrating way to buy and, for various unknown reasons, very exciting.

I have also been there (latest were last Friday actually) but they didn't have much in EU45. The only thing they could offer were the more fetish style platform / thighhigh boots but that doesn't work for me to be out in public in. It is "sligthly" over the top.... smile

Pumps:

Have you ever been to Kingsizeskor? If you find anything you like on their website it can be worth a visit. It is only some 50-60 km from you I guess.

Living so close to each other we should meet up sometime, what do you think? A mini heel meet in southern Sweden? :wink: Or maybe Copenhagen? I am open for almost any Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully we can get someone else coming too.

See also your PM box, will not bore everyone else here with details.

Nope. I did know their website, but thought their prices where to high.

I think I'll get to know people online first, before I start arranging a big thing. Maybe London. Who knows ?

Boots: no problem. Shoes and sandals only when in Tara mode. Skirts, female trousers and jeans are no problem either but I cannot try on any kind of dress unless I'm in female mode.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Only in my young teens I was too nervous to try anything in the shop and bought "For the girlfriend", but this lead to many misfits and disasters.

However, for years, I've tried ALL my shoes before buying. Not only has this lead to successful fitting, but a spin-off is all the most enjoyable fuss and attention that I and fellow members get from gorgeous and enthusiastic salesgirls! I avoid most salesguys (as they're sometimes a bit sniffy), but 99% of the girls are absolutely fantastic, especially as more and more guys are apparently 'coming out' and trying on the ladies' large sizes.

I wouldn't miss it for the worlds! It's one of the best things about the whole

streetheeling experience. Oh yes, and I always wear the out of the shop!

Cheers, Heelfan

Exactly the same with me! It's almost 30 years ago when I bought my first womens boots. An elder lady asked me as sales clerk if she could help me. I became red like a tomato and stuttered something like "they are for my girlfriend". I'm sure that she was convinced that something is wrong with me. Naturally I didn't dare to try them on. These boots had only 2'' block heels :wink:

Today I'm grinning amused about the shyness of my youth. For me its always a fun to try on shoes in the womens section of a shoe shop. The main problem is simply that I can't find my size :D Nearly all my heels are from internet sellers or from ebay auctions.

The best fashion is your own fashion!

I still buy online. (Yeah, I know that's missing out on a potentially wonderful experience -- but I have not built up confidence to that level yet. Furthermore, the only brick-and-mortar store in my area that has anything bigger than USW 11 is Payless. They are good for what they are but I definitely prefer a higher quality product.) With that in mind, I am gravitating toward online merchants that have a generous return policy. With all the inconsistency of the different sizing systems, it is just too much of a "crap-shoot" to buy footwear sight-unseen and hope it will fit. My current favorite shoe-store offers free return shipping and I have availed myself of it about half the time.

Have a happy time!

Most of the time the salespeople make some comment like, "I'm sure she'll enjoy these," to which I reply, "There is no 'she.' I like wearing heels,'" and usually pull up my pant leg and show them.

I absolutely hate that... I've heard those comments come from both male and female employees. Most of the time I tell them they are for me as I find it so irritating that they assume it's for someone else.

I remember one time at payless a girl said to me "she's going to love them" when I asked to see a particular mule in my size and I told her "those are for me". She said something like "that's a shame" which kind of pissed me off but then she tried selling me hose and more shoes which kind of made up for her comment.

Why is it so hard to break the relationship between clothing and gender? :wink:

Most of the time the salespeople make some comment like, "I'm sure she'll enjoy these," to which I reply, "There is no 'she.' I like wearing heels,'" and usually pull up my pant leg and show them.

I've had that happen a time or two. It's no big deal to me, if people want to make value judgments, fine, let 'em. Depending on my mood, I often say in my most casual tone that the shoes are for me. That throws salespeople for a loop, something I get an inward chuckle out of.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!