patent pumps need stretched 1/2 inch

how hard is it to stretch patent leather pumps? I have a pair that needs stretching 1/2 inch. I had my feet in them before, but it took a lot of prying and pushing and stomping to get them to where they felt ok to wear. Do shoe stretchers work good, or would it just be best to take them to a shoe repair shop and have them stretch them 1/2 inch? thanx..

Half an inch equates to about a size and a half too small. You will not be able to stretch them that far, even a shoe repairer won't be able to either. Even stretching half a size (which is the limit) will make the patent coating crack... However, if you got your feet into them at all suggests to me that half an inch would be way too much anyway. What I would do woulkd be to hold each shoe over a pan of boiling water until it's almost too hot to hold and then plonk it straight on your foot. Repeat with the other and then walk around in them for a bit until they cool right down. I can't guarantee success though...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

great idea! I know that heat softens things. Perhaps it will soften these babies so i can fit in them again. I'll try it. thanx!! I got them at a thrift store. They are almost brand new! Hardly a speck on the soles! The brand of the shoe is Caressa. They are size 8, and i wear an 8 1/2. Like i said, they were on my feet before, for about 1/2 hour. I'll get them on again, and then i'll keep them on for a few hours, walking around lots, until they wear in.

great idea! I know that heat softens things. Perhaps it will soften these babies so i can fit in them again. I'll try it. thanx!! I got them at a thrift store. They are almost brand new! Hardly a speck on the soles! The brand of the shoe is Caressa. They are size 8, and i wear an 8 1/2. Like i said, they were on my feet before, for about 1/2 hour. I'll get them on again, and then i'll keep them on for a few hours, walking around lots, until they wear in.

If you're looking for wearability and comfort you would do well to get a size 10. If you're only doing it for the moment it doesn't matter. The tightness is probably what you want at the time. No amount of stretching is going to make those shoes comfortable to walk in.

Quite correct. There is a difference of 1.5 sizes between US male and female sizes. A ladies' 10 is about a men's 8.5. That in turn is about 1.7-8 in the UK.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 3 months later...

What I would do woulkd be to hold each shoe over a pan of boiling water until it's almost too hot to hold and then plonk it straight on your foot. Repeat with the other and then walk around in them for a bit until they cool right down. I can't guarantee success though...

That sounds like a good idea, Dr. Shoe. I bought a pair of knee high black patent boots a few days ago. They are Pleasers, size 11 (the largest the store apparently stocked), and they fit okay except for the area above the big toes. The nails on my big toes are angled upward a bit, and they are pressured by the top of the toe boxes. I'll try this tip as soon as I can, but I'm not going to be wearing these boots for long periods of time for a while (I haven't told my parents yet, but I think they won't go insane over it).

I'll let you know when I do try this method, and the results.

Thanks,

EdwardianEra

If you're looking for wearability and comfort you would do well to get a size 10. If you're only doing it for the moment it doesn't matter. The tightness is probably what you want at the time. No amount of stretching is going to make those shoes comfortable to walk in.

I totally agree! There's no way yer going to get those shoes to stretch out 1/2 inch without ripping them apart. If it's only for the moment then suffer! But stretching them 1/2 inch is out of the question, IMO.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels