Have You Seen Any Guys Street-heeling? (Survey)

Heelfan

Have you seen any guys (excluding members at heel-meets and those fully cross-dressed) street-heeling? I think I detect a growing number of such sightings scattered in other threads. If so, this is most encouraging. However, for us get a better picture, can as many members as possible please assist by posting their reports below. Please adhere to this format for your response: 1. I can/cannot recall any sighting(s). If "Yes", then add: 2. Nation and place of sighting. 3. Year of sighting. 5. Age, clothes, image of street-heeler. 6. Description of heels worn (height, thickness, boots or shoes etc.) 7. Any comments or reactions worth mentioning (yours or others). Everyone please post, even if you can't recall a sighting! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll get the ball rolling myself: 1. I can recall about five sightings. Here's one them for starters: 2. England. Heathrow Airport arrivals gate. 3. About 1990. 5. Age 30ish. "Russian Cossack" appearance - Dashing moustache, swarthy complexion, black curly hair, loose white silk shirt, short cape, cummerbund, baggy trousers tucked into highly polished "Cossack" brown leather knee-boots. 6. Heels about 3.5", chunky, but slimming somewhat to the bottom. Very high quality hide boots of top "riding" quality. Heel fully exposed due to trousers being tucked in. 7. Arrived as central figure amongst a group of about four other Russians, similarly but not so colourfully dressed. They all seemed to admire him as the dashing key figure. Also, many similarly admiring glances from other travellers, especially the ladies!!! My own comment - this swashbucking "Cossack" image was a very natural and effective method of showing off male high heels in a very co-ordinated acceptable way! It certainly worked 100% and I highly recommend it! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I've seen alot of guys in high heels here in nyc:

1. Nation and place of sighting:

A.) United States --NYC

B.) United Kingdom--London, Camden Town

2. Year of sighting

A.) NYC--2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

B.) London--2006

3. Age, clothes, image of street heeler

A.) NYC (I know I am skipping a few sightings here)

1. 2002-normal guy (mid twenties)in 3.5" blade heels, trench coat, black hair, glasses

2. 2003-two guys walking across West 23rd (mid thirties), 3" chunky heels, normal jeans, normal coats, average dress, but well coordinated

3. 2004-guy in subway with 4" loafer heels (mid twenties), rock star image, fur lapels on his coat, velvet coat.

4. 2005-guy outside of Hosipital on Upper East Side (mid thirties), all black, 3" wedge heels

5. 2006-guy two blocks from my apartment (mid twenties) , 3"+ blade heels, art type image

B.) London--guy in Camden Town with alternative rocker style image in 3.5" blade heels, sun glasses (younger to mid twenties)

As far as comments or reactions from other people are concerned, there were none to the best of my knowledge. :wink:

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I've seen a couple if instances myself being that I live in NYC Where? 1. All my experiences are in NYC When? 2. 2005, 2006 Who? 3. a) In Alphabet City in Manhattan, some guy walked past me and a girl going to dinner. Didn't really get a good look because I didn't notice until he turned, but the sound was definitely HH clack. From the slight glance, he looked to be in his 20s (early or mid?) and was wearing block heels, 3 inches or higher. :D Once on a subway platform in brooklyn, two guys came down the stairs with two women. They looked to be late 20s, or early 30s. Might have been out of towners as well (sounded like they spoke Korean?). Anyhow, they wore riding boots on the outside of their pants. They were definitely women's boots tho. Heel was minimal, about 1 inch... Noone really thought anything strange of these occurances -- at least none that I saw... :wink:

Have you seen any guys (excluding members at heel-meets and those fully cross-dressed) street-heeling?

Oh, Gee - are you kidding?

1976 - New Orleans, a guy smoking a pipe, wearing a beard, and walking downtown in heels. Definately NOT part of the 70's heels movement.

1977 - A guy downtown in platform heels. Part of the 70's heels movement.

1978-1980 - Another guy or fifteen hundred, also part of the 70's heels movement, courtesy of Saturday Night Fever, and the inciting 70's phenomenon of guys wearing heels.

1985 - Myself and five others attending a Halloween party wearing heels.

1988 - Myself and three others wearing heels, as guys, during graduation, to protest the recent prohibition by the university against women playing in men's sports (including chess, which I find really ridiculous).

1992 - I wore heels during Halloween while my wife visited her family.

1996 - I began wearing heels regularly after breaking an ankle. Flats=pain, while heels=comfort. Orthopedic surgeons be damned!

2001 - I happened upon the guys wearing heels websites, and realized I wasn't along. Joined a few and began contributing.

2002 - Joined hhmeetplace.org

2005 - switched monikers and increased my contributions

2004 - Present - actively involved in countless pro-fashion-freedom websites which further the rights of men to wear whatever the hell they want to wear.

2007 - Bought a $124.95 poncho at the Denver Airport just to generate conversation material on the way back to Germany. And expensive endeavor, to be sure, but one that I believe proved worthy, as I sat next to a senior psychological advisor to the the U.S. Army's efforts to recover their soldiers from the war-torn regions of Iraq and reintegrate them into normal American society.

To date: I'm wearing 4" heeled boots, a jeans skirt, have already been to the bar in this outfit, so go figure.

No worries, no problems, no issues, nothing but net (fun). No one cares!

Carry on, and enjoy yourselves!

2. Nation and place of sighting. 1) NYC 8th ave near 18th st 2) NYC alternative fashion clothing store sales guy 3) NYC gay pride march - many sightings 5. Age, clothes, image of street-heeler. 1) mid forties casual jeans with jacket 2) slightly punk slim jeans black tee shirt 3) various 6. Description of heels worn (height, thickness, boots or shoes etc.) 1) light brown stiletto boots 2" heel 2) black 5" stiletto pumps 3) various mild to wild 7. Any comments or reactions worth mentioning (yours or others). no reactions

OK guys - thanks for a great set of reports so far. Most encouraging to the universal guys-in-heels movement! To keep the pot boiling, here's another one from me: 2. Hayle, Cornwall, England. 3. About 1982. 4. Our milkman!!! (aged about 40). Sighted when I answered the door to him early one frosty morning. 5. He had struggled down our path in stacked leather "Elton John" 4" chunky heels with only minimal 1/2" platforms, and immediately said "Gaw, these high heels ....It's been very difficult in such high heels this morning slipping and sliding along everyone's icy paths carrying all these crates of milk bottles. However, he said nothing about abandonning them, and I complimented him on his heel-wearing! 6. He wore a leather jacket and flared jeans that barely reached his ankles and showed off the heels very well. l 7. Looked good in that 1970s male Platforms-&-flares fashion. I should have asked him what reactions he'd had from his other customers. I hope this first batch guys-in-heels sighting will encourage lots more similar reports below. Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Other than guys I've met socially from here, (Krapsparov and New_Look so far) I think I once saw a guy in a pair of stilettos in Jilly's. I can't be absolutely certain though as it was pretty dark and by the time I'd decided that he was I'd lost sight of him. Sorry for not sticking to the format, but it's too tenuous to go into detail. Chris

I saw a guy, about 48, slightly rotund, wearing what were clearly a pair of tapered-heel boots beneath very long (dragging on the ground) slacks at France's DeGaulle airport the other day. In addition, while out on Christmas Eve, I saw a gentleman walk into a bar wearing a pair of not-so-subdued fur-fluffed 3" heeled winter boots into which he'd tucked his jeans. No, I wasn't at a gay bar. I was at a country-western bar.

Two recent sightings of guys wearing knee boots outside trousers. Not really high heels, but interesting evidence of changes going on. Firstly, Christmas Eve - Moissac, Tarn et Garrone (82) France. A guy in his fifties wearing a black leather coat and hat and black knee length boots with about a 1 1/2" tapered heel. Quite a convincing look. Last night on the tube saw a guy again in his fifties, wearing flat black knee high boots over jeans. He spoke with an American accent, I didn't start a conversation with him - he was with company and I was with Mrs. F on the way home from an evening at the Ballet. Again a very credible and convincing male look.

Great reports so far! Here's a third sighting from me: 2. Lily & Skinner, Oxford Street, London (now closed - became HMV music). 3. About 1985. 4. Whilst I was discreetly browsing for heels in their "large ladies shoes" section, another customer came in, a guy about 30, went straight to the central trying-on seats and started very clearly asking the salesgirls to bring him all their size 9 (UK) shoes with heels of 4" and over. He was obviously a regular, because all the salesgirls immediately gave him a friendly greeting and clustered around to help. He was a popular "hit" with them, as they were soon enthusiastically offering him various high heels and admiring them as he tried them all on. 5. He purchased no less that FOUR styles on the spot, and said that he might be back for a fifth pair. One pair of boots had 4" semi-chunky heels and he explained to the room in general that these were for "everyday shopping and out-and-about wear", and the rest were 4" to 4.5" stiletto heeled shoes and boots that he said were for "parties and special occasions". 6. He wore ordinary male clothes - brown jacket and grey trousers of a length that only covered the top of the heel. l 7. Looked excellent to my eye, and very confident at a time when society was less tolerant than now. It just illustrates what has been said before: that a guy with fully confident manner can carry-off any heel-wearing he chooses, whereas if guys look furtive/shy/ashamed/apologetic etc., they are far more likely to attract the wrong sort of attention. More sighting/reports wecomed! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I went shopping today and went into my local evans, where I had a great chat with the new sales girl, she thought that the boots I bought were a real bargain, but she could not wear heels. I told her she was missing out, she said, do you wear heels? I smiled and said that they were not my wifes size. the truth is that I was seeing what I could buy as we have a contact in Germany that buys bucket loads of size ten heels. In the next week or so I will go in there wearing heels and see what happens. she seemed pretty cool with me, and the manager is as she has sold me a couple of pairs in the past. Next time I will ask if there are any 'others' like me. I almost feel that I could recommend this shop to all, but I love the bargains there.

The angels have the phonebox.

I've bought shoes from Evans too, the first time I just asked for a particular pair in a seven and when the assistant brought them back she asked if I wanted to try them on. The second time I was after a pair of knee length boots, and asked if I could try on a pair that I liked. The assistant was great, she even suggested three other pairs that I might like, and went and got them for me to try without being asked. I asked her if they got many guys buying for themselves, and she said that there were quite a few with them stocking the larger sizes. She also said that all the staff were happy with male customers, and that it was actually part of the induction training that all customers were to be treated the same regardless of gender. It's a great place to shop, although the heels tend to be quite low. Chris

I've bought shoes from Evans too, It's a great place to shop, although the heels tend to be quite low.

Chris

I would have to agree normally but I bought these and if you will exuse the state of the tape measure you can see that they are quite high for a high street shop.

they are the highest I have seen from them.

Posted Image

If I could find a pair in my wifes size, life would be easy around here.

Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

Two recent sightings of guys wearing knee boots outside trousers. Not really high heels, but interesting evidence of changes going on.

Firstly, Christmas Eve - Moissac, Tarn et Garrone (82) France. A guy in his fifties wearing a black leather coat and hat and black knee length boots with about a 1 1/2" tapered heel. Quite a convincing look.

Last night on the tube saw a guy again in his fifties, wearing flat black knee high boots over jeans. He spoke with an American accent, I didn't start a conversation with him - he was with company and I was with Mrs. F on the way home from an evening at the Ballet. Again a very credible and convincing male look.

I saw a guy wearing calf-length boots over jeans at Piccadilly Circus yesterday. I thought it was pretty convincing.

Kneehighs over jeans is something I want to do. I have some kneehigh flat boots (to go in my kneehighs with heels collection!) I want to wear over jeans. Hearing these sightings is convincing me to go and do it!

It interesting these people you saw were in their fifties - probably at a stage in their lives where they simply don't care anymore what people think or they're just uber-confident!

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

It interesting these people you saw were in their fifties - probably at a stage in their lives where they simply don't care anymore what people think or they're just uber-confident!

Maybe it's a combination of the two. As I'm pushing 50 myself, I can understand that particular mindset.

:wink:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thanks Nigel for the picture of your Evans boots. Funnily enough, I've recently bought three pairs of the same style in size 9 UK (11 US) for myself, but in black. Although the heel is 4" and slims-down nicely towards the bottom, I find that the look enough like a cowbow boot (as opposed to an over-fancy cowgirl boot) to be accepted without a second glance by the public. Most of the Evans shopgirls (except the very new ones) usually tell me that quite a few guys (both in male mode and those fully crossdressed) are frequent customers. The same is said by Barretts' Tale & Small department, although their range seems to have shrunk from feeble to very feeble lately. Sorry for this diversion, but can we get back on topic with some more reported sightings of guys street-heeling from yuz all? Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

• 2 weeks later...

Today: Between Buckingham Palace Road and Victoria Station. Walking through the station with a colleague we followed someone who was well over 6ft with mid brown medium length hair, wearing a brown anorak with a fur lined collar, black skirt black tights and black knee boots with about a three inch heel. It wasn't a particularly good look from behind as the person was quite knock kneed. As we got nearer I thought, that's either a huge woman or a bloke. It wasn't a particularly good look from behind. Well it was a bloke. He had large male facial features, strong jaw and nose. I don't know what to say. I'm all for freedom to wear what you want - but that's in theory. I didn't particularly like the look - in fact it was a bit dowdy. I think sometimes a bolder statement works better. I hope it's not one of our members and I've offended them - and if they had put up their picture and asked for opinions I would not have replied - on the thumper principle. (If you ain't got nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all). However - this thread is supposed to be a record of our sightings of men in heels.

Twice for me.

First time:

Mardi gras 2005, shortish guy about my age in a screen-print tee and synthetic hula grass skirt over khaki shorts. Wearing lowish heels, they looked about like these, only tan and with a more blocky heel:

Posted Image

Second time can be re-viewed here:

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/5649-i_saw_street_heeler.html

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

... Well it was a bloke. He had large male facial features, strong jaw and nose. ... I hope it's not one of our members and I've offended them - and if they had put up their picture and asked for opinions I would not have replied ...

As a matter of interest rather than rebuke, Fog, as you are clearly referring to a male, why do you then refer to him as 'them' and 'they'? Personally, I find the use of plural pronouns (rather than 'him' etc - or even 'her'!) to refer to a singular person rather irritating :wink:, although I fully understand that some people do so to avoid being regarded as 'sexist' or 'non-PC. But, in this case, it was an unnecessary precaution - force of habit, perhaps?

I am reminded of a disaster reconstruction on telly where a lone woman (clearly shown and identified as such) was trapped in water and drowning. The narrator said something like 'They struggled to free themselves until eventually they got free ...' which sounded ridiculous, even ignoring the plural implication and the confusion that might produce in the listener's mind.

Long may the male continue to embrace the female, in grammar as well as in real life! :D Let women wear male pronouns whilst men are wearing female shoes!

As a matter of interest rather than rebuke, Fog, as you are clearly referring to a male, why do you then refer to him as 'them' and 'they'? Personally, I find the use of plural pronouns (rather than 'him' etc - or even 'her'!) to refer to a singular person rather irritating :wink:, although I fully understand that some people do so to avoid being regarded as 'sexist' or 'non-PC. But, in this case, it was an unnecessary precaution - force of habit, perhaps?

I'm not sure what to say, there certainly wasn't any intent, either to be PC - or to take the piss out of PC terminology. Obviously in work I have to watch my language. I can't talk about somwhere being "manned" when it's "staffed", probably a lot of this does rub off. So, sorry to offend.

There is a lot of PC nonsense floating around. I once heard a presentation about correct use of language - all the stuff about not referring to groups of people, eg indians, or using the definite article for groups like "the disabled" only to be greatly amused by the words "The Irish" on one of the slides. The Irish are an E&I target group, but obviously one that the presenter wasn't really interested in. It was great fun to stick up my hand and point it out.

I'd better stop now - we're way off topic.

I think that I know where youre comimg from and its kinda like this. The first time I saw a man in real high heels was in Tarpon Springs Florida. People were blowing their car horns, whistling and calling him names ect. It was brutal. About two years ago I was in a Pay Less shoe store and a fella came in wearing stilettos. The female cashier talked to him for a while and complimented him on his shoes. As of late. My wife and I stopped of at a tavern and a man and his female counter part were sitting at one of those tall tables. They were both very good looking and well dressed. At first I didnt notice but my wife whispered in my ear. (dont look now but that mans wearing high heels) He was in a gray suit with at least 5" stiletto heel maroon colored ankle boots. One leg crossed over the other in the aisle and his boot was clearly visible for all to see. Nothing unusual happened. I have worn real high heels out, Stilettos, shoes, boots,and sandals but never during dsaylight or anywhere near my home while sober. I dont believe much about the street heeling stories that are posted here. Oh sure they wear womens shoes with a 1" heel under jeans that cover them but what about the real high heels that click like hell on the side walks and the hard floors. Who really wears em on the streets?.,,,larry.

Love those heels!

Larry,

"I dont believe much about the street heeling stories that are posted here. Oh sure they wear womens shoes with a 1" heel under jeans that cover them but what about the real high heels that click like hell on the side walks and the hard floors. Who really wears em on the streets?.,,,larry."

I DO!!! And my wife can testify to it too!!

I have worn 5" stiletto's shopping at BJ's Wholesale club, Sam's Club, Wal-mart, Target, in a mall and in several other stores too :-) I have NEVER had ANYONE approach me negatively!! Now that's not saying there weren't some snickers here and there...And you can't miss the little kids asking their mommies either :-) The best was when a little girl pointed out to here mom that "That guy's wearing high heels!!" And her mom simply replied "If that's what he likes, then so be it." And yes, I was wearing high heels...5" black leather stiletto boots :-) It was just how easily the statement rolled off her tongue...Like it was a prepared statement or something. No hesitation, stammering 'OH MY'S!!" or anything!

Another favorite was Haloween last year...My wife and I went to Wal-Mart with both of us wearing 5 1/2" stilettos. Hers were black patent pumps and mine were black patent with red heels Pleaser 'Domina' boots. Talk about double-takes!!! I thought one gal was going to fall over she was straining so hard to see me!!

Regardless, there are some of us who DO wear high heels publicly. Not so sure about work yet but not afraid in daily traffic :-) My typical heels are about 4", either block heels or thinner stacked-looking boots. I DO wear longer pants as is the style but I have also done white boots with white pants where the boots were fully exposed. There's a pic on my Yahoo profile of the outfit...http://profiles.yahoo.com/shoeiee

Happy Heeling!!

Shoeiee

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee