Why boots?

dressboots

Seems a lot of male heel wearers prefer boots. Me too. Just an idea, maybe way off the mark but for me the preference is based on look. A boot covers the ankle and lower leg at minumum, creating a smooth finished look. A lot of guys just do not have the, how should I say it nicely, the "physique" to look good in high heel shoes. We have all seen women who do not pull it off well either, for balance in this idea. Boots cover up a lot of short comings, bony ankles, fat ankles, liver spots, veins, the sort of things that are hard to hide when in a shoe or sandle. Hose or stockings can cover much up but a good, well fitting boot is best. There is as societal programing on how high heeled fashion should look which tends to be based on the female standard of a good foot/leg look, that being smooth and shapely. A boot more closely achieves this standard for me. For those who can look good in a shoe or sandle as well as boots that is great but for me a knee high boot is the best look in a heel. I am not promoting trying to look female for male wearers but proposing that the better put together the look, which boots provide for many men, the less likely it will stand out as something odd, noticeable or laughable. This in addition to many mens fashions do include boots (cowboy boots for example) which visually have a lower percentage of the visual style message being the heel, compared to a pump. It stands out less as unusual. A boot includes the leg in the fashion statement an OK one for men to make.

classic style high heel boots

I prefer the feel of boots, although I've been trying to find some hh pumps that I'd like, but still havnt found any. I've never been a fan of sandals, of any style. *shrug*

(formerly known as "JimC")

Even with my male footwear it's boots or trainers for me, not shoes. In fact I don't own a pair! In general I prefer the look of trousers with boots rather than shoes, even on women. I agree with you about boots covering shortcomings though, particularly hair. I shave my legs, but if you don't there's only so much hosiery will cover, and most female shoes aren't meant to be worn with socks. Chris

Guest ilovepumps!

I guess I am one of those who likes to be different. I do like boots, but only certain styles. However, for me, high heeled pumps will always be the female footwear I would choose over anything else. I agree, not all males can pull of the look when wearing pumps (me included), as personally, they are designed to be very feminine to give a female that sexy look. However, at the end of the day, I am a male who loves wearing pumps and I know I can never achieve the full on female look, so I will just have to live with it. Im happy the way I am :wink:

In my mind, pumps and heeled sandals are very feminine and (as much as I love them) they just look out of place on a man. Boots by their very nature have a more masculine look to them and I do not get that "out-of-place" feeling when I see them on my feet. I also believe (as chris100575 points out) that boots are a better match with pants. With boots I can get that heeled sensation I want without attracting too much attention. Even with boots I stay with wedges or block heels -- again I think the look works better for me.

Have a happy time!

Guest ilovepumps!

In my mind, pumps and heeled sandals are very feminine and (as much as I love them) they just look out of place on a man

I guess I have been embarrassing myself with all the pics I posted :wink:

Oh, I would not say that at all. First, we have only seen your legs. Second, your legs are quite shapely. You wear those pumps well.

I am coming at this from a slightly different direction. At one point it occurred to me that spending a bunch of money on a collection of shoes that never left the confines of my house did not make a lot of sense given my situation. So I started to concentrate on styles that I could actually wear out in the real world. I am going to wear some kind of footwear anyway and this way I could get more "heel-time". I find that boots make a better fit into that plan.

You clearly enjoy your pumps. If you leave your house in them, then more power to you (you have more courage than I do). If you only wear them at home then have fun! I rather like your pictures.

Have a happy time!

For me, Pumps and "shoes" in general are harder to pass off as male foot wear. Since I don't flash my heels in public, I tend to try to blend in and not be noticed and still have my enjoyment of wearing heels. The boots do that for me. Not showing any skin above the toes, looking more like a normal shoe a male would wear. Now I do have a pair of 5" black patent leather pumps that I love but tend to keep them indoors. Plus, I have always loved the look of a nice high heel boot over a pump any day.

ilovepumps!: Don't you dare feel embarrassed by what you choose to wear! NEVER!! That's how people wind up in closets, or retreat to them when they feel any sort of shame over things they enjoy, just because someone else tells you it's not their cup of tea. And for the record, I think your pics look damn sharp!

While I enjoy wearing boots, I cut my teeth on pumps (the very first type of women's shoe I wore when I was a teenager) and wear more than any other style of shoe, not caring one bit if they look feminine on my feet, it's because they do that I choose to wear them. Pumps are what I love and what I wear whenever the mood strikes. I don't care about trying to pass them off as "male footwear", self-consciousness is not a problem for me so I wear what I want, where I want and when I want, public perception be damned. And yes, I've long since proven I can blend in wearing pumps just as easily as I can in boots.

What looks good to people is subjective. Speaking just for myself, I look damn good in boots and pumps, and have had people tell me so. In the end, it all depends on the person and what he likes.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

In my meager collection there are pumps and sandals but mostly boots. To me, women wearing high heeled boots is powerful. There is one instance of an older woman I saw in Sears years ago. She wore a white long sleeve blouse with a high neck that you could just see her bra through. The skirt was black and flowing to just above her ankles and high heel boots. What an image. Then there is also the practicle side at least for me. I have a very high arch though I have fairly shapely legs and what I consider nice looking feet. With a high arch, my foot arches out of a low-sided pump and I don't like that look at all. Sandals tend to look better (to me) with my high arch and I really like and open toe look. Boots feel great on my legs and I love all that leather. I don't shave my legs (yet) and have numerous very visible scars on my chins so shoes and showing leg for me would mean either makup and shaving or heavy nylons. I think I split wearing boots and shoes fairly equally, but some of that is my convenience. If I had to chose one, it would be high shafted boots. ilovepumps: Like everyone has been saying, have no regrets. Your legs look fine and the pictures are appreciated. Keep posting them.

I just have a thing for boots and that's it. I even like flats if they come up the leg, flat ankle boots are for the birds! I do love the look of high stilleto heel strappy sandals but I find them awkward to wear.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Wow, asking me why I like boots is a tough question. I have a always liked the feel of boots and not particularly high heeled boots. The boot shaft on my leg is a feeling I really enjoy. It’s no longer an arousing thing, they just feel good. After reading many posts on this board, I have tried pumps and heeled sandals but I still enjoy boots more. I wore knee high boots for years until I got my first pair of thigh boots. Since then anything else just didn’t feel as good. When I finally decided to wear them out in public I’ve enjoyed them even more.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Wow, asking me why I like boots is a tough question. I have a always liked the feel of boots and not particularly high heeled boots. The boot shaft on my leg is a feeling I really enjoy. It’s no longer an arousing thing, they just feel good. After reading many posts on this board, I have tried pumps and heeled sandals but I still enjoy boots more. I wore knee high boots for years until I got my first pair of thigh boots. Since then anything else just didn’t feel as good. When I finally decided to wear them out in public I’ve enjoyed them even more.

Well, TBG, from your many thrilling and fascinating adventures, I can understand why you love boots so much. As for me, I'll admit to being something of a latecomer to the joys of boots, and while I recognize how sexy the right pair of high heeled boots can look, be they on the legs of a male or female, pumps will always be my first love. Still, I like boots as well.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I just have a thing for boots and that's it. I even like flats if they come up the leg, flat ankle boots are for the birds!

Personally, I agree with Dr. Shoe. I like the feeling of the shaft of the boot around my leg. My favorite height is knee high, because thigh high can be a hassle to put on or take off, and ankle height... well, what's the point? Heel height is inconsequential, as I like all heights. I don't like sandals, or even open toed shoes, as I'm not really into feet as much as shoes. When it comes to shoes and boots, the more leather the better.:wink:

Personally, I agree with Dr. Shoe. I like the feeling of the shaft of the boot around my leg. My favorite height is knee high, because thigh high can be a hassle to put on or take off, and ankle height... well, what's the point? Heel height is inconsequential, as I like all heights. I don't like sandals, or even open toed shoes, as I'm not really into feet as much as shoes. When it comes to shoes and boots, the more leather the better.:wink:

Indeed...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Keep posting your pics Ilovepumps, and enjoy wearing what you choose to. I'm sitting here at the moment wearing a skirt with sheer black tights and stiletto heels. I wouldn't dress like this in public, but it's fun to at home sometimes. Chris

Count me in, with the boot lovers. I like the look of well-crafted boots and the extra height that high heels provide. Also, on a practical level, my feet never slip out of boots, and boots tend to be more stable on my feet as well. Style is a matter of personal taste, and for me at least, the booted look is a style that fits me nicely. Women seem to like it, too.

Well, TBG, from your many thrilling and fascinating adventures, I can understand why you love boots so much. As for me, I'll admit to being something of a latecomer to the joys of boots, and while I recognize how sexy the right pair of high heeled boots can look, be they on the legs of a male or female, pumps will always be my first love. Still, I like boots as well.

Interesting! Pumps are my last resort, as there's no restraint across the instep and my toes are jammed into the toebox. Boots, on the other hand, particularly when laced up the vamp, provide terrific vamp restraint, thus freeing my toes to do what they do best - wiggle!

A matter of taste, I prefer boots, and closed toe heels for men's wear. Any thing that is open toe and strappy is a no no....:wink:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Wait! There's a middle ground between boots and pumps/sandals that hasn't been mentioned much here. I started my heeling with loafers, but quickly discovered that I really love backless shoes much more - slides/mules/clogs and slingbacks that have high vamps (up to the instep). These provide good support so my toes don't get crunched, and the block heel and masculine front mean that no one notices that I'm wearing women's shoes (important to me), so I can street heel in such footwear all the time, summer and winter. My love for heels is the feeling I get wearing them, not so much the desire to show them off. I wear for comfort, not so much for appearance. I own a few boots but my feet get too hot and sweaty in boots. Pumps and sandals are too femme for me. But slides/mules/clogs and slings are perfect and as mentioned above, most of what I like to invest in are shoes I can wear out of the house. Street heeling is great fun! GWL

I have enjoyed the fit, feel and looks of pumps for decades and still do. I think that they are a basic good looking shoe that can be used with any type of out-fit whether dressy or casual. But, then again in later years, I have also found the sturdiness of the ankle support and a broader heel to be benificial and also like the feel of the shaft against my calf. So, therefore, I consider myself both a pump and a boot guy. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried on my goth friend's heeled boots, and I have to say don't get the same feeling that sandal/pumps give me (especially with stockings or thigh-highs). I understand if you feel more in-between or less femme wearing boots, but that's the whole fun for me. Feeling as femme as possible is the point. I paint my toes regularly now & even though my feet are pretty big (size 13 men's), when I wear my red pleaser sandals and my red toes are peeking out of the front, I'm in heaven.

I do mainly boots (in winter) and sandals (in summer). While I have quite a collection of pumps I rarely seem to pick them to go out. As someone else mentioned already it is someting about having a high arch that makes me stick out of the pump. Also, I just love the feel of HH sandals but just can't do it in winter.