The SHOE

THE SHOE I was driving a quiet country back road, when I became aware that the car was unwell. A red light blinked at me from the dash, so I pulled over. Thlight showed the engine had gotten too hot, and as I never open the bonnet, [ wouldn't know what to do anyhow], switched off and prepared to wait. Getting out to strech my legs, I saw something in the road a couple of hundred yards up the road.I ambled off in that direction. A single shoe lay in the road, an expensive black leather ladies court shoe. It had a very high pointed heel, pointed toes, and although the sole showed it had been worn, the uppers were in as new condition. It bore no label or size mark, and niether it, or the road showed signs of how it got there. Perhaps it's owner had opened the door and placed on the road then driven away. Placing the shoe down, I searched an area extending about 50 yards in all directions, but could find no trace of it's partner.I picked the shoe up and returned to my car. there was a story about a shoe, I know, Cinderella, but alas, I am not prince charming, nor do I have help to find her. Leaning back against the car, I studied this beautiful shoe, then without thinking, slipped off my sandal and put on this one shoe. The fit was perfect. I twisted my foot this way and that, admireing the shape, then placed my foot to the ground. Now I understood womens' desire for these shoes. My mind was made up, I would seek the owner ofthese shoes, and BUY them off her!.

totter along into history

• 2 weeks later...