Star Trek Boots

mskim61

Was just channel surfing today on the TV and decided to watch an old classic epidode of Star Trek. I haven't watched this for many years and had forgotten about the black boots that all crewmembers wore. They were a nicely tailored mid calf boot with something similar to a Cuban heel. Does anyone have any info or closeup shots of the boot? Any thoughts to who might have been the manufacturer?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh Yeahhh! Those were sweet boots! Unfortunately I do not know where they came from. We can only hope the fickle winds of fashion will someday time-warp them back from the sixties.

Have a happy time!

I don't know where the original boots came from...always loved them myself...but Champion Attitude Boots in El Paso, Texas makes similar boots. Check out their costume boots. I've have them make me several pairs of boots, all cowboy boots, but they do a great job and can make anything custom for you. Live long and prosper!

I do indeed have several tapes worth of those old episodes and the boots also caught my attention. It seems that they had fairly low cuban heels around 2" - 2.5". Unfortunately, the footgear is not usually displayed very well. Probably the episode that best displays them is the one where Spock is compelled to do a dance and then is about to stomp on Kirk's face. I think it's called Mission of Mercy. Since we never see anything like that anymore, maybe the boots have decided to boldly go were no boots have gone before.

Scotty, one to beam up. There's no intelligent life on this planet.:rocker:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

no, MISSION OF MERCY was where they got zapped into a "alternative universe" sort of thing, where all the crews were more like klignons in the fact that they slluted like them, wore the thigh boots that they did (or similar) and their counter-parts got zapped into THIS universe! and also Spock wore a beard in the other universe, too. the one where spock does some kind of "flamenco" type of dance was another one (one about these aliens that were like the ancient greeks with super powers, exact name I forgot just now though) & spock & the others were being "forced" by these aliens through sheer mental powers to do just about anything that they could think up (taking total control of Kirk's crew with kinetic mental powers)

no, MISSION OF MERCY was where they got zapped into a "alternative universe" sort of thing, where all the crews were more like klignons in the fact that they slluted like them, wore the thigh boots that they did (or similar) and their counter-parts got zapped into THIS universe! and also Spock wore a beard in the other universe, too. the one where spock does some kind of "flamenco" type of dance was another one (one about these aliens that were like the ancient greeks with super powers, exact name I forgot just now though) & spock & the others were being "forced" by these aliens through sheer mental powers to do just about anything that they could think up (taking total control of Kirk's crew with kinetic mental powers)

1000 pardons, my aged and befuddled brane sometimes gets things mixed-up. But yer right about the Greek type culture and the one guy was sick and was doing all kinds of things with his mental faculties. I think he even put the Enterprise in jeapordy with his abberant thoughts until McCoy slapped him around a bit.

So, if nobody can access the ship's log I'll just have to down some more selenium and see if I can recall the name of the episode.

Scotty, one to beam up.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Slightly off topic, but for those that have never seen it, the Finnish Star Trek/Babylon 5 parody, "Star Wrek: In the Pirkinning", has the female crew members wearing some very nice thigh high boots.

Well, it looks like they shot all the indoor scenes using about a 60 Watt light bulb for lighting and I only saw one scene with high-heeled boots.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

In Star Trek: Deep Space 9, there were some episodes where Nana Visitor/Major Kira had an "evil opposite" who was usually clad in what I vaguely remember as either glossy leather or PVC. I'm pretty sure she wore high stilleto heel knee boots as well. The first episode of Star Trek - The Next Generation featured Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) wearing something which many seem to describe as a cheerleaders outside, with a pair of medium heel black boots.

I learned the truth a long time ago, being afraid of the dark is what keeps most of us alive...

Well, it looks like they shot all the indoor scenes using about a 60 Watt light bulb for lighting and I only saw one scene with high-heeled boots.

Okay, a good watch, but not worth it just to see some boots, if you like star trek, then it is worth the watch.

thanks for telling me aout it Fog!

Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

Okay, a good watch, but not worth it just to see some boots, if you like star trek, then it is worth the watch.

Absolutely. There are a few scenes I think with boots in, but that's not really a reason to watch it. Some of the computer animated space scenes are amazing, as good as anything commercially made. The acting and the script on the other hand... :rocker:

I remember reading once about the original show production and it commented that the boots had higher heels to try to give them a futuristic look. The book said that the boots were made to order and a rush job, and everyone found them uncomfortable. Nichelle Nichols both as Uhura and herself seems to be into heels. In the original series, she mostly wore the same boots as the rest of the crew, but in the Star Trek movies, she often wore some fairly high heeled boots. There's also a photo, presumably pre-Star Trek, of her standing wearing a pair of hip high ballet heel boots.

In Star Trek: Deep Space 9, there were some episodes where Nana Visitor/Major Kira had an "evil opposite" who was usually clad in what I vaguely remember as either glossy leather or PVC. I'm pretty sure she wore high stilleto heel knee boots as well.

The first episode of Star Trek - The Next Generation featured Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) wearing something which many seem to describe as a cheerleaders outside, with a pair of medium heel black boots.

Ahh, Nana Visitor, the tough talking broad with the wrinkled nose. Yeah, I liked her alter ego better. At least the alter ego didn't put on airs about being "miss goody 2 shoes".

As for Marina Sirtis, she would look good in most anything. :rocker: Unfortunately, I can only recall one episode with her in heels. She somehow got hooked-up with some ambassador and aged about 60 years during the course of the show.

Has anyone ever seen her doing anything else?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, Nana Visitor, the tough talking broad with the wrinkled nose. Yeah, I liked her alter ego better. At least the alter ego didn't put on airs about being "miss goody 2 shoes".

As for Marina Sirtis, she would look good in most anything. :wink: Unfortunately, I can only recall one episode with her in heels. She somehow got hooked-up with some ambassador and aged about 60 years during the course of the show.

In the interest of keeping this thread alive I'ver posted this mssg. Please respond .

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

. . . As for Marina Sirtis, she would look good in most anything. :wink: Unfortunately, I can only recall one episode with her in heels. She somehow got hooked-up with some ambassador and aged about 60 years during the course of the show.

Oh, yeah -- as the saying goes "She could stop traffic in a gunny sack!"

The episode where she aged so quickly was "Man of the People". The ambassador was also an empath and he was able to transfer all his negative emotions to another person, thus freeing him up to negotiate peace deals. When his "receptacle" died aboard the Enterprise, he latched on to Deanna Troi. She could not take the stress and aged much faster than he expected. Dr. Crusher's medical expertise and the transporter ultimately saved the day.

Sorry -- just saw the episode on DVD two days ago.

I have not seen Ms. Sirtis in any other roles ( -- unfortunately -- ) but she does have a website.

Have a happy time!

Oh, yeah -- as the saying goes "She could stop traffic in a gunny sack!"

The episode where she aged so quickly was "Man of the People". The ambassador was also an empath and he was able to transfer all his negative emotions to another person, thus freeing him up to negotiate peace deals. When his "receptacle" died aboard the Enterprise, he latched on to Deanna Troi. She could not take the stress and aged much faster than he expected. Dr. Crusher's medical expertise and the transporter ultimately saved the day.

Sorry -- just saw the episode on DVD two days ago.

I have not seen Ms. Sirtis in any other roles ( -- unfortunately -- ) but she does have a website.

Well, Com'n over t' my house, baby! :wink:

I'll bet I could find a gunny sack for her, and maybe even a pair of heels too!:D

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Seven of Nine was often in heels, too.

As for Marina...

7 of 9, the green Borg? Well yeah, after they got rid of most of that Borg junk they did give her a fairly decent role and some chunky heels. Oddly enough, Jerri Ryan was probably the most under utilized talent ever on the Star Trek shows.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

7 of 9, the green Borg? Well yeah, after they got rid of most of that Borg junk they did give her a fairly decent role and some chunky heels. Oddly enough, Jerri Ryan was probably the most under utilized talent ever on the Star Trek shows.

She's actually a terrific actress, but it's difficult for one's acting to be noticed when you're playing the human equivalent of a robot. However, there were enough subtleties in her part throughout the series that her acting came shining through, although she's not had the depth and level of parts since then that I'd have expected from her performance on Voyager.

Hmmm Seven of Nine! I'm going to get off that train of thought before I post something I'll regret. :D That aside, I always liked Dr Crusher. (Wesley's mum) I think it was partly the red hair that did it. Anyway, In one episode of TNG the crew were on the deck of an 19th century ship, and she was wearing a naval uniform with tight white trousers and black leather knee boots with stiletto heels! :wink: Chris

Hmmm Seven of Nine! I'm going to get off that train of thought before I post something I'll regret. :D

That aside, I always liked Dr Crusher. (Wesley's mum) I think it was partly the red hair that did it. Anyway, In one episode of TNG the crew were on the deck of an 19th century ship, and she was wearing a naval uniform with tight white trousers and black leather knee boots with stiletto heels! :wink:

Chris

I think it's a combination of the red hair and the Oedipus effect...

She's actually a terrific actress, but it's difficult for one's acting to be noticed when you're playing the human equivalent of a robot. However, there were enough subtleties in her part throughout the series that her acting came shining through, although she's not had the depth and level of parts since then that I'd have expected from her performance on Voyager.

I quite agree. With a really good writer they might have actually began to tax that untapped ability. I most sincerely hope that she isn't relegated to the scrap heap.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I think it's a combination of the red hair and the Oedipus effect...

Bearing in mind that I know the story of Oedipus, I find that remark in very poor taste. This is either you being over-analytical, and shooting very wide of the mark, or a veiled insult. I would like to presume the former.

It's simple: She's pretty, and in her role in TNG she's portrayed as being intelligent, which is also an attractive quality. End of. The fact that she's older than me is entirely incidental.

Chris

Hmmm Seven of Nine! I'm going to get off that train of thought before I post something I'll regret. :D

That aside, I always liked Dr Crusher. (Wesley's mum) I think it was partly the red hair that did it. Anyway, In one episode of TNG the crew were on the deck of an 19th century ship, and she was wearing a naval uniform with tight white trousers and black leather knee boots with stiletto heels! :wink:

Chris

Really? I must have missed that episode. I can only recall Gates McFadden in heels on one occasion on TNG. I think she was playing the part of a '30's type Sam Spade doll on some kind of holladeck program. I have seen her in other roles apart from TNG and she wasn't particularly fetching.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Bearing in mind that I know the story of Oedipus, I find that remark in very poor taste.

I was 22 and she was, what? 38, when she first appeared in the series? Yet I was attracted to her nevertheless. The key was that she was very motherly to most of the crew.

That IS the embodiment of the Oedipus effect. It's not "poor taste." It was simply reality experienced by most young men who watched the series.

I'm NOT saying being sexually attracted to one's own mother is right (there are laws against that, both religious and secular, and rightly so). So please, Chris, don't get me wrong.

Nevertheless, Beverly Crusher will forever remain an older attraction for young men.

I was 22 and she was, what? 38, when she first appeared in the series? Yet I was attracted to her nevertheless. The key was that she was very motherly to most of the crew.

That IS the embodiment of the Oedipus effect. It's not "poor taste." It was simply reality experienced by most young men who watched the series.

Quite apart from anything else, the Oedipus effect refers to a self-fulfilling prophecy. You're thinking of the Oedipus complex, which refers to a desire for the exclusive love of one's mother. One of the key symptoms of the Oedipus complex is feelings of jealously, if not actual hostility, towards one's own father because you want to take his place with your mother. It involves quite a lot more than simply being attracted to a woman who happens to be older than yourself. Even a preferral for women older than yourself wouldn't be Oedipal.

Does that sound like the basis of your attraction to Beverly Crusher? Because it's a world away from mine.

Chris