Internet Purchase Warnings

Don't know if anyone else has run into this problem but would like to find out. A month ago I purchased a pair of black leather thigh boots from Bob and Angies (sells on Ebay) They advertized these as 6" high heels and lo and behold when I received them they measured 5.5" high, a big deal if you are a high heel fanatic like I am. Anyway after emailing back and forth they claim that, that is acceptable practice to advertize that way and If I didn't like it I should contact the manufacterer, (PleaserUSA) as they have no responsibility regarding this matter. I have filed complaints with Ebay and Paypal requesting that they stop the fradulent ads but I need to get verification from a 3rd party in the industry, which I am doing. The boots are very nice although not as advertized, just wanted to let you all know.

Don't know if anyone else has run into this problem but would like to fing out. A month ago I purchased a pair of black leather thigh boots from Bob and Angies (sells on Ebay)

They advertized these as 6" high heels and lo and behold when I received them they measured 5.5" high, a big deal if you are a high heel fanatic like I am. Anyway after emailing back and forth they claim that that is acceptable practice to advertize that way and If I didn't like it I should contact the manufacterer, (PleaserUSA) as they have no responsibility regarding this matter. I have filed complaints with Ebay and Paypal requesting that they stop the fradulent ads but I need to get verification from a 3rd party in the industry, which I am doing.

The boots are very nice although not as advertized, just wanted to let you all know.

What often happens is that the heel height will vary according to size. In a 5 it will be 5" rising to 6" at 12 say. Sometimes, they're advertised as 6" heels because they are available in this height- just not at your size...

Many Ebayers put the real height in the listing. What I do is email them to confirm if it is a true height or not because I once bought a pair of "6inch" boots that turned out to be 7.5"!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Actually, this happens quite a lot and not just on eBay. Either, as Dr Shoe said, because of variance in height according to size, or simply because the manufacturer describes them as being a given height and the seller didn't measure them to check. In general I would regard quoted heel heights as a guide only, and contact the seller to ask for an actual measurement if it's important. The vast majority of my collection have "four inch" heels, but in reality I don't think any two pairs from different manufacturers are exactly the same height. Chris

Well I am angie...of Bob and angie Not too sure anyone wants to hear the other side of the story but It can be very hard to sell on ebay, on the internet and in a store. I guess I could measure every heel....every sole....every shaft.....but if I did all the things that people want me to do....I wouldn't have time to sell the shoes. So I try...I try very hard to be accurate and helpful. I try to let people know that measurements will differ with sizing....I also encourage them to email and ask for specifics if they truly must have them. But people are people....they neglect to read and then they get mad at me and email me with nasty insults....they post messages in groups and on the internet to try to hurt me. Shame of it is...it does. After all these years it still does hurt my feelings when people call me a cheat and a liar. The only way I can deal with it is to not deal with it. So when people email me and call me names and insult me....I do not try to help them or work with them. It is very very hard to please all the people...it is impossible to please all the people all the time. If you are displeased with something.....you might want to start by assuming that the person is a good person who wants to help you rather than insulting them. This buyer could have had such a better ending than he did. All he had to do was carefully read the ad before buying, email and ask questions before buying and then...when not happy with his purchase...email and state his concerns without accusing me of being a liar and a cheat. I used to accept returns for any reason...and then the fetish photgraphers started buying expensive boots...using them for pics and returning them for a new style....people were wearing the shoes for parties and then sending them back. People were sending shoes back that we didn't sell LOL.... I used to try to measure the soles of the shoes....try to help people with sizing....then a buyer accused me of lying because my measurement of the length of the sole of a 6 inch spiked heel was off by one cm. Have you ever tried to measure the sole of a high heel????????? I give calf measurements and yet people still buy the boots without measuring their own calf to see if they fit LOL Then they email and blame me for making the boot picture LOOK like they would fit them. I wish I could make everyone happy...I wish I could do more than I do....but I cannot. But it does make me cry that in a world so full of purposeful liars and cheats, auctions that claim that plastic boots are leather, photos that are stretched, sales of boots that sellers do not even have......in that world the only complaint I find in here is against me. For those of you out there....who buy from the net and who buy from ebay....please please...read....never assume. And be very sure to start all communications without insults and accusations. Much can be fixed and avoided by not assuming anything. Angie *she who was having such fun till she was silly enough to read these posts and then dumb enough to still care*

Hi Angie For what its worth, I think hearing BOTH sides of the story is always welcomed and is only fair and speaking from my own personal experience, a customers negative experiences are often blown up to sound far more dramatic than they really are. Also, customers will often neglect to admit the parts where they said the sales person was a liar, cheat, theif, idiot etc, etc.... I used to work in a major UK high street electrical store when I was still at college many years ago and we had CCTV that also recorded sound on the payment counter and I can honestly say that of all the complaints ever made, never once was the customer truthful in their "perception" of what has happened. NEVER! :biggrin: I had that job for many years and rewound many many CCTV tapes in front of customers to prove to them what was said when they were later refused service and claimed they had not been rude... Oh what fun that was.... We used to have a good laugh at that... :rocker: Anyway, I cant speak for your own experience with this customer as none of us will ever truly know who said what and thats not for publishing here but dont feel disheartened by it, as long as you know you have done everything you possibly can then you should feel proud of that and happy too :academic:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Angie, If it helps any, I purchased a pair of boots from you on eBay and I was completely happy with them. Still am, in fact. Your service and the way you handled the transaction was top-notch and I felt your description was highly accurate. Unfortunately, except in very rare cases, you don't hear from happy customers -- usually your best hope is a return sale. eBay does provide the feedback system but a short 80-character comment does not provide a lot of communication. The unhappy customers are the ones who make the most noise. I'd deal with you again. --JMC

Have a happy time!

I second what jmc says. I, too, have purchased more than one pair of shoes/boots from BobandAngie and it's been my experience that product and service has always been first class. There's the old saying "buyer beware." That said, I agree with Angie that people don't take the time to digest descriptions posted in ebay offerings. Consequently, some buyers aren't happy. And that, my friends, isn't the fault of the seller. Buyers do have choices, you know. In hnb71's case, he could always resell them on ebay himself and recope his mistake. Otherwise he should quit "nitpicking," scratch his mad place and get over it.

I'd agree with both the above posts. I have bought about ten pairs from Bobanangie and have always been pleased with my purchases and by the prompt manner in which the goods were dispatched and the fact that they always leave feedback as soon as they're paid instead of waiting until the buyers posted. The bottom line is is that a vendor can only use the data provided by their supplier as it's impractical to check every single pair.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Angie, if it helps, although I've never bought from you myself I am aware that you and Bob have a good reputation and the post that started this doesn't change that opinion. Unfortunately as you say, there are always people who don't realise that if you're unhappy with something you've bought a polite explanation of why is the best approach to getting it sorted out. Thanks for posting your side of the story, I thought the original complaint sounded a bit niggly when I first read it, and that was before I found out that he'd been rude. Chris

I find that the biggest problem of buying shoes and boots over the internet is that of sizing and fit, since you can't really try them on before buying them. But once you start getting experience with how different manufacturers build their shoes, then you can start to pick up on trends. Then you can start to make some educated guesses about what styles, sizes and manufacturers work best for your feet. I have purchased a pair of chap boots from Bob and Angie and am ecstatically satisfied with them. They have gone as far as to make very helpful comments as 'they fit true to size' or 'they seem to run about one size small', etc. I find it extremely useful when the vendor adds that kind of information. It also points out that the vendor has personal experience and expertise with the product that goes above and beyond the average. And Angie, I love the fact that you model the products. You make them all look so good!:rocker:

A lot depends on how you measure a heel. If you measure it from the back of the heel to the floor it can make half an inch difference from measuring it throught the center which is the way I perfer.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

I find that the biggest problem of buying shoes and boots over the internet is that of sizing and fit, since you can't really try them on before buying them. But once you start getting experience with how different manufacturers build their shoes, then you can start to pick up on trends. Then you can start to make some educated guesses about what styles, sizes and manufacturers work best for your feet. . .

Most definitely true! Add to this the plethora of different sizing systems and each manufacturer's own interpretation of them and you end up with the gamble we all know as the sizing dilemma. Sometimes even different styles from the same manufacturer show considerable variation in size.

Have a happy time!

Most platform heels advertised as "6 inch heels" vary from 5.5 to 6.5 inches, measured at the back, depending on shoe size. Similarly, shoes advertised as "5 inch heels" vary depending on size. I had a pair from Frederick's advertised as 5 inches that measured 6 inches at the back! Sexy Shoes seems to measure at least some of theirs at the center of the heel. When the heel setback or curvature varies, then the defined heel height will vary even though the shoe shape is the same, so I think the back is the only reliable measurement. But, since it varies with size, the height listed is only an approximation, anyway.

I have purchased on the net, and as a general rule of thumb, the "made in China" shoes have a significantly higher than advertised heel height in my size (12 U.S.) I have found that the more top shelf brands have a way to keep the heels a little closer to the stated height, but that is only my personal experience with different purchases, with varying levels of quality.

Heels Are GRRREAT!!!

S.L.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh you guys are sooo sweet and a big thank you to you. I do feel bad when a customer doesn't get what they thought they were going to get but ......*sigh* Anyway...this is a great Christmas gift...to come in here holding my breath and worrying that everyone hates me and I am a terrible person......and then finding these kind words and knowing that I am just human....and most of the time...I am okay! Thanks again Angie

...There's the old saying "buyer beware." That said, I agree with Angie that people don't take the time to digest descriptions posted in ebay offerings. ...Buyers do have choices, you know...

I think the Latin term was: caveat emptor = Buyer Beware! Buyers do indeed have their choices and, for all of the reasons I've seen discussed, I chose not to shop on e-bay. Whenever I buy a non-disposable item I at least want to see the guy that is selling it and get both a name and address where I can find him. That's why I can't deal with anyone who might simply disappear into cyberspace.

On the other hand, I too sell stuff, and I expect a reasonable price for it. But often times, I sell an item (particularly cars) as-is, no warranties or guarantees expressed or implied. I also make it a point to have 2 witnesses on hand to observe such transactions. If there are any further controversies - I'm more than willing to tell it to the judge.

Unlike times past, when a person's sacred honor hung on his word, the sad but simple truth is that today we live in an age of deceit. Not only are lies, cheats, and prevarications the order of the day, but also it reached the point where it's actually expected. If only men would simply speak the truth. Well in an age of deceit - truth is revolutionary; so call me a revolutionary.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 1 month later...

Don't blame Bob&Angie for slightly mismatching heel heights, it's definitely not their fault. I did a couple of purchases of 6" and 7" heels (from all over the world). The outcome was shoes with a heel height of something that ranged from 5.25" to 7.6". Just my 2¢... CU! -Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Angie: I have also purchased boots from your store in the past. Your details explaining the products for sale on the website are great. They make perfect sense to me. I know what I see is what I will get. I had also sent you an email through ebay, but figured that people in this community need to know that you and Bob have a good reputation Keep up the good work.

Angie: It's great to see a prominent eBay seller here! I've seen your ads, and you have great selection. Although I haven't bought from you before, I shall keep my eyes open to your store to see if you have any goodies I might be interested in. Cheers! SQ

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 1 month later...

You have to remember that e-bay is a place where you buy sight unseen, unlike a store downtown, where you can actually see and touch the item. Yes there are some scammers there, which I have run into, but the majority are people who are actually not trying to rip you off. There are also buyers, that are never satisfied with something, no matter what! If you are not really sure about an item, ask them a question. Flaming someone on a message board because you are ticked-off about somebody solves nothing!