UK ban on smoking in public

Mind you, I'm a dedicated non-smoker. Never smoked a day in my life and don't intend to start. Ever. Tobacco -- I hate the stuff, it stinks and it is unhealthy. And nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known -- just ask any smoker about their first cigarette, it's never a pleasant experience. I enforce a strict smoking ban in my home and in my vehicles.

But at least in the United States, these smoking bans bug me. This is supposed to be the "land of the free" and we keep ratcheting down on what people can do. My home -- that's not a public place. But a shopping mall or a restaurant -- those are public places -- and at least restaurants have had smoking and non-smoking areas for years. If tobacco is so confounded bad for us then why don't we just ban it outright?

Of course all Americans know the answer to the question at the end of my last paragraph -- Washington DC and all the state governments are positively addicted to tobacco . . . revenue. In the form of taxes.

If we are really all that concerned about public health then we had better ban the use of the wheel post-haste -- ever look at traffic death statistics?

Yes and still tobbaco kills more.

real men wear heels

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But at least in the United States, these smoking bans bug me. This is supposed to be the "land of the free" and we keep ratcheting down on what people can do. My home -- that's not a public place. But a shopping mall or a restaurant -- those are public places -- and at least restaurants have had smoking and non-smoking areas for years.

Unfortunately, unless you ban smoking in public places only smokers have the right to choose. Smoking areas only work if they're enclosed, otherwise it's like having a peeing area in a pool. I have no problem with people smoking outside in public, but anywhere with a roof I fail to see why I should have to put up with the smoke. It's not only unhealthy, it's disgusting.

Chris

Mind you, I'm a dedicated non-smoker. Never smoked a day in my life and don't intend to start. Ever. Tobacco -- I hate the stuff, it stinks and it is unhealthy. And nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known -- just ask any smoker about their first cigarette, it's never a pleasant experience. I enforce a strict smoking ban in my home and in my vehicles.

But at least in the United States, these smoking bans bug me. This is supposed to be the "land of the free" and we keep ratcheting down on what people can do. My home -- that's not a public place. But a shopping mall or a restaurant -- those are public places -- and at least restaurants have had smoking and non-smoking areas for years. If tobacco is so confounded bad for us then why don't we just ban it outright?

Of course all Americans know the answer to the question at the end of my last paragraph -- Washington DC and all the state governments are positively addicted to tobacco . . . revenue. In the form of taxes.

If we are really all that concerned about public health then we had better ban the use of the wheel post-haste -- ever look at traffic death statistics?

Congratulations on waking-up to the totalitarian police state that we still hail as "...the land of the free..." Of a truth, none is more pitiable than the enslaved man who thinks he is free. Perhaps nothing speaks more loudly to the degree of our enslavement than the laws requiring us to wear seat belts. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with seat belts - they make about as much sense as taking a good breath of fresh air every once in a while. But laws that require them and police who enforce them under the coersion of law are indeed a form of tyranny.

Nevertheless, unless something is done to limit the intrusion of unwanted smoke into our personal lives, we may indeed become the "...poor, tired, huddled masses yearning to breathe free..." Besides, most authorities agree that smoking is the number one cause of most of our preventable diseases.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

One question I've always thought about is how do you enforce a law against something that isn't illegal in the first place? The practice of smoking isn't illegal. The sale of tobacco isn't illegal. And, it appears to me these laws are arbitrary in the first place. So, why hasn't anyone bothered to take these laws to the U.S. Supreme Court to determine if they are actually enforceable? Quite frankly, I really don't understand how any government operating under the provisions of the United State's Constitution can dictate what anyone can and can't do in their own homes or businesses.

One question I've always thought about is how do you enforce a law against something that isn't illegal in the first place? The practice of smoking isn't illegal. The sale of tobacco isn't illegal. And, it appears to me these laws are arbitrary in the first place. So, why hasn't anyone bothered to take these laws to the U.S. Supreme Court to determine if they are actually enforceable?

Quite frankly, I really don't understand how any government operating under the provisions of the United State's Constitution can dictate what anyone can and can't do in their own homes or businesses.

So you think it would be ok in front of your children in your own home or where ever to shoot drugs, smoke pot, kill who ever you want,as long as your boss say's it's ok, and just not have any common sense what so ever about anything? Get a grip man.

real men wear heels

One question I've always thought about is how do you enforce a law against something that isn't illegal in the first place? The practice of smoking isn't illegal. The sale of tobacco isn't illegal. And, it appears to me these laws are arbitrary in the first place.

I can't comment on the law in the US, but the one that's about to come into force in the UK will make it illegal to smoke in indoor public places. Smoking will still be legal it's smoking in indoor public places that won't be. The sale of tobacco will be unaffected, and you can still smoke outdoors or in private places eg your home or car if you want to.

I've said before I have no problem with people smoking as long as I don't have to be exposed to the smoke.

Chris

I can't comment on the law in the US, but the one that's about to come into force in the UK will make it illegal to smoke in indoor public places. Smoking will still be legal it's smoking in indoor public places that won't be. The sale of tobacco will be unaffected, and you can still smoke outdoors or in private places eg your home or car if you want to.

I've said before I have no problem with people smoking as long as I don't have to be exposed to the smoke.

Chris

I'll go along with that.

real men wear heels

Johnieheel, don't be ridiculous! As a non-smoker -- as in never smoked in my entire life (as I posted somewhat earlier in thie very thread) - I don't need to be preached to by the likes of you. As I stated in my post. I was just being curioius. So before you touch the smoldering wick to the powder keg....read my post before having a hissy fit.

I don't wish to belabor this, but despite being a non-smoker all my life I was diagnosed with tongue cancer in November. I'm doing fine, so don't anybody worry, but I can't help but wonder if second hand smoke might have had something to do with it. I realize that there are all sorts of potential cancer causing substances out there, including the diet soft drinks I used to swill on a daily basis. So I'm not going to necessarily blame the smokers. Nevertheless, it's food for thought. Anyway, smoking is pretty much forbidden in any public, indoor place where I live (Maine) and I have to admit that I rather like it that way. Admittedly the smokers have a bear by the tail in that it is a very hard addication to beat, or so I've been told.

One question I've always thought about is how do you enforce a law against something that isn't illegal in the first place? The practice of smoking isn't illegal. The sale of tobacco isn't illegal. And, it appears to me these laws are arbitrary in the first place. So, why hasn't anyone bothered to take these laws to the U.S. Supreme Court to determine if they are actually enforceable?

Quite frankly, I really don't understand how any government operating under the provisions of the United State's Constitution can dictate what anyone can and can't do in their own homes or businesses.

And just what makes you so sure that we are actually operating under the terms of the Constitution iof 1794???

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Johnieheel, don't be ridiculous! As a non-smoker -- as in never smoked in my entire life (as I posted somewhat earlier in thie very thread) - I don't need to be preached to by the likes of you. As I stated in my post. I was just being curioius. So before you touch the smoldering wick to the powder keg....read my post before having a hissy fit.

Don't get your panties in a twist big boy. All I'm saying is if we want to breath clean air and live longer and healthier as the same for our children then we have to draw a line some where and a ban on smoking in public places I think, is a pretty good start.

real men wear heels

I'm not sure of the exact laws in the US concerning smoking in public places, but last year whilst on holiday in New York, I was disgusted by the number of smokers who stood in the doorways outside their office blocks puffing away, which was very unpleasant for people just walking by. A simple ban on smoking in indoor public places just isn't enough I'm afraid. We all should have the right to breathe clean air, but often we are denied that. Whilst out for a meal in a Chinese restaurant in Manchester on New Years Eve, I could not believe the number of smokers who light up whilst others are still eating. I will chose my venue more carefully in future!

I live in Ireland, I am a smoker, and the smoking ban in bars and restaurants was introduced here in March 2005. Irish social culture is, and pretty much always has been based around drinking in pubs. Being a light smoker (a smoker non the less!) I never smoked a cigarette in a restaurant, the thought of smoke around food sickened me, always did, so I was delighted to see restaurants becoming smoke free. Prior to it's introduction though, I was apprenhensive about how the pubs would be. Obviously they are going to be healthier places, but the reaction from smokers in ireland initially was almost rebellion, and disgust. Almost 2 years down the line, I can honestly say it was 1 of the best things ever done for this society (and I'm still a smoker). Now everyone has a choice, the non smoker to have a drink without being poisoned, the smoker to have a drink and a smoke (in the designated external covered areas). It should have been done years ago!

• 2 weeks later...

i must say i am in favour of the ban on smoking in public places in the uk, because in my opinion there is nothing worse than coming out of a pub or restaurent smelling like an ashtray, the sooner the better. just my opinion nothing more, i have nothing against smokers, just don't smoke near me. later john

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

i must say i am in favour of the ban on smoking in public places in the uk, because in my opinion there is nothing worse than coming out of a pub or restaurent smelling like an ashtray, the sooner the better.

just my opinion nothing more, i have nothing against smokers, just don't smoke near me.

later

john

Yeah, man! After I quit smoking I was amazed at how much my clothes stank. I had to get everything cleaned before I finally got rid of the smell. :wink:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 1 month later...

Chris

News Flash! It looks like the great state of Maryland will be the next to go "smoke free". The bill has already passed the house and is now in the senate. If it passes in the senate Martin O'Malley has pledged to sign it. So I expect that any day now, Maryland ( the Free State) will also become the "Smoke Free State".

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

well we're pretty annoyed about it, as itsyet another intrusion into our liberty. Do they honestly think nobody knows of the risks? Lets get real, how many people go home from the pub after having 10 cigarettes and beat their partner up? How many have 10 pints and beat thier partner up? How many smokers go to accident and emergency after 10 cigarettes, with a broken arm and bleeding face and proceed to abuse and hit the nursing staff? We're hardly a risk to other road users either. Yet pubs are allowed to open longer, teenage drinking is out of control.... Backhanders for sure......

well we're pretty annoyed about it, as itsyet another intrusion into our liberty. Do they honestly think nobody knows of the risks?

Lets get real, how many people go home from the pub after having 10 cigarettes and beat their partner up? How many have 10 pints and beat thier partner up? How many smokers go to accident and emergency after 10 cigarettes, with a broken arm and bleeding face and proceed to abuse and hit the nursing staff?

We're hardly a risk to other road users either.

Yet pubs are allowed to open longer, teenage drinking is out of control....

Backhanders for sure......

Well, anybody who is that passionate about it most difinately needs to ring-up his MP. But the way I see it, smoking is nothing less than death on the installment plan. It has been called the "revenge of the Indians" and it is working. Still, I believe that I have a right to clean air I can breathe. So the question then becomes: Whose rights will prevail; my right to breathe clean air; or the smoker's right to smoke at the expense of befouling my breathing air? So far the courts and the legislatures in this country seem to be siding with the anti-smoking, clean air people.

BTW, don't be deceived, smoking does compete for your attention and does affect your judgement while driving.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I'm in favour of the ban. Just amazed it's taken so long. Generally I don't like banning things. I think all drugs should be legalised for example. But in the case of smoking in enclosed spaces, staff who work there are forced to breath the smoke, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Be careful of what power you give to any government to control your day to day activities. Ban smoking. Ban fatty foods. Who knows what's next?...

Right you are! George Washington said that government is NOT to be trusted. To empower government intrusion into people's personal lives anywhere is to invite intrusion into personal lives everywhere! We must never forget that all laws are doubled-edged swords.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Your North American souls... I pray for you! I'm a convinced addicted for the Tobacco here in Brazil. There are two laws coming from our government: - Cigarete taxes will be 30% more; - Smoking in public areas like bars, restaurants, shopping malls, et. al, will be confined in a closed room, with an automatic door that opens to the inside, with air conditioning, sand boxes in the ashtrays and an exausting system for the smoke to go outside; those places should display the maximum number of smokers at the same time, and is forbidden to eat, drink, read, play games or even have a table and chairs to seat. Ok, ok... good for the non smokers I agree. People will start to smoke less... maybe. People that are starting to smoke will think twice before living others to go to the "little smoke room"... maybe. The date for this: june, 1st, 2007 Now I know where the idea came from. England. I'll explain bellow. For YOU north american, think twice before you say that you want to breath fresh air. YOU ARE the biggest polluting nation in the entire WORLD. Your big cars and thermal-power-plants smokes 10000% more then all smokers in the world. YOU say that the Amazon Rain Forest should be an international area. YOU want to CONTROL the Oil market because YOU need the crazy CARBON in the atmosfere. So, don't say that you need fresh air for you and your KIDS before living your car in the garage and have some walk at the street, use public coletive transportation and turn OFF your freezing air-conditioning, huge TV sets, electric gates, Apple computers and other very polluting stuff I don't want to enumerate here. Non-smokers have their rights? YES FOR SURE. I DON'T smoke near children, non-smokers, closed places, other people cars and houses. I ALWAYS ask if I can light my cigarette up when I'm with other people I don't know. Smoking is a bad habit? YES. But the habit is mine. Brazillian government is starting to control our liberty like north-americans do? YES. What is liberty? Is a thing that ends where the other's start. So don't talk about FREEDOM if you don't respect mine. Don't talk about forbid something that pays a LOT of taxes in a country where I have to PAY for medical assistance. I would be sitcking here dead now if I didn't pay for my health insurance because I was sick of DENGUE (a virus that you take when a small mosquito picks you up). To produce Tobacco you create jobs. Cuba survives exporting their famous cigars, that YOU north americans smoke, without thinking that YOU helped to close that island to the international market just because they are comunist. For YOU that likes to drink... think TWICE. I don't drink alcool. I KNOW people that DIED because DRINKED and DRIVED. I KNOW people that was caught by someone DRUNK in the traffic and DIED or is INJURIED for LIFE. I KNOW people that had a GUN in the HEAD because her husband was DRUNK. I never did it because I smoke too much. I don't smoke near others that DON'T. If someone will be sick because of tobacco, will be ME and just ME. SO, if you want to forbid smoking, think that there's people COHERENT and INCOHERENT that smokes when other people that don't are eating in a restaurant, for example. I'm on the first group. Politicians, government, laws and other foolishness should be carried for things that are important for the MANKIND. How about send some money from our tobacco TAXES to countries that are dieing from AIDS in AFRICA? Or support the development of CLEAN ENERGY PRODUCTION in Germany? All things I read in this thread lead me to write this off. A lot of bullshit. Yours smoking in bad english... Flavio.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

well we're pretty annoyed about it, as itsyet another intrusion into our liberty. Do they honestly think nobody knows of the risks?

Lets get real, how many people go home from the pub after having 10 cigarettes and beat their partner up? How many have 10 pints and beat thier partner up? How many smokers go to accident and emergency after 10 cigarettes, with a broken arm and bleeding face and proceed to abuse and hit the nursing staff?

We're hardly a risk to other road users either.

Yet pubs are allowed to open longer, teenage drinking is out of control....

Backhanders for sure......

The ban on smoking in public isn't for the benefit of smokers. You can still smoke with impunity outside, in your car or in your home. It's for the benefit of those of us who choose not to smoke. As has been said before, how about the intrusion into the liberty of non-smokers? At the moment we have a choice of either putting up with stinging eyes, sore throat and aching lungs (not to mention the smell) or not going to the pub. I can sit next to you and drink a pint and it won't affect you one iota. You can't say the same about you sitting next to me and smoking.

Under the new rules you will be perfectly entitled to go outside and smoke, so the only real intrusion into your liberties is that you can no longer force it on others.

Chris

...Under the new rules you will be perfectly entitled to go outside and smoke, so the only real intrusion into your liberties is that you can no longer force it on others. -Chris

Well, there is the additional inconvenience of having to take the filthy habit outside as opposed to being able to smoke indoors; but then smokers ought to come with me to the hospital to see for themselves how inconvenient throat and lung cancer is. Just one 5 minute talk with my neighbor, who has throat cancer (he wasn't a smoker), ought to be enough to convince anyone that throat and lung cancer is a major inconvenience.

Or to put it another way: My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins. So if we wish to recognize equal rights for all, then we had best dismiss the notion of special rights for some.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels