UK ban on smoking in public

I was wondering how you all (in the UK anyway!) feel about the ban on smoking in enclosed public places which will come into force on the 1st of July? Personally I'm really looking forward to it. I've just come back from the pub, stuck my clothes in the wash, and am probably going to end up having a shower before I go to bed because I smell. It's probably a given that other non-smokers are in favour, but how do those of you that do smoke feel about it? Will having to stand in a windswept carpark encourage you to quit, or do you feel that it's you right to smoke and that you're being hard done by? Chris

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, you sure know how to kick over a can of worms! I never realized what a terribly filthy habit smoking is until I gave it up (about 30 years back). Then I found out I was actually eating a bunch of things I really didn't like. But it only took about 5 years for my sense of taste and smell to recover.:rocker: Recently several local governments in this area have banned smoking in public places. But, believe it or not, the restaurants where smoking was once permitted still stink almost as badly as if they were still doing it. Needless to say, I find I still can't really enjoy my food in such a place. But short of tearing the joint down and rebuilding, I have no idea what can be done. Yeah, the smokers around here really feel put-upon :biggrin: , but they have no idea what it is they're really doing.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

In the Libertarian tradition, I say that people should be able to do what they like. This includes smoking in public places. *However*, liberty cuts both ways. If someone elects to smoke near me (I happen to dislike it), I should be able to elect to express my dislike, to leave, to drench them with a fire extinguisher or whatever else I wish. And they should be able to respond in kind. I dislike smoking venues, to the extent that I'm persona non grata in one band because I'm not willing to go to the rather smoky pub in which the others practise. I would very much prefer all venues to be non-smoking. But I refuse to back the ban, as I believe it's up to the individual rather than any larger grouping.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

In the Libertarian tradition, I say that people should be able to do what they like. This includes smoking in public places. *However*, liberty cuts both ways. If someone elects to smoke near me (I happen to dislike it), I should be able to elect to express my dislike, to leave, to drench them with a fire extinguisher or whatever else I wish. And they should be able to respond in kind.

I dislike smoking venues, to the extent that I'm persona non grata in one band because I'm not willing to go to the rather smoky pub in which the others practise. I would very much prefer all venues to be non-smoking. But I refuse to back the ban, as I believe it's up to the individual rather than any larger grouping.

Unhh! Maybe you'd better hold off on that fire bottle thing, unless you want to be persona-non-walking. :rocker:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

"Maybe you'd better hold off on that fire bottle thing, unless you want to be persona-non-walking." Exactly. But that should be up to *me*, not my dear Guv'mint, to decide.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

I can't wait for it to come into force! I stopped going to pubs and eating in restaurants about 15 years ago because of the smoke. What settled it for me was when I took the wife out for an expensive meal and someone lit up a cigar on the next table. I just except now that pubs and restaurants are for people who smoke. I voted with my feet.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

The problem is that if the government hadn't have intervened only smokers would have had the choice. Having a smoking section in a pub / restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool. As a lifelong non-smoker I rather resent the fact that until then, I only have a right not to smoke if I don't go to the pub. Chris

The problem is that if the government hadn't have intervened only smokers would have had the choice. Having a smoking section in a pub / restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.

As a lifelong non-smoker I rather resent the fact that until then, I only have a right not to smoke if I don't go to the pub.

Chris

WELL SAID!:biggrin::rocker: One smoker is all that's required to polute an otherwise smoke free environment. No individual should have so much power over others.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Well, the way I see it is this: smokers have a habit, they smoke. The byproduct of their habit is smoke, which gets into my hair (if I didn't shave it off), clothes, eyes and lungs. I too have a habit, I drink. The byproduct of my habit is urine. So how would they feel if I stood on the table and pissed all over them? :rocker: Chris

Well, the way I see it is this: smokers have a habit, they smoke. The byproduct of their habit is smoke, which gets into my hair (if I didn't shave it off), clothes, eyes and lungs. I too have a habit, I drink. The byproduct of my habit is urine. So how would they feel if I stood on the table and pissed all over them? :huh:

Chris

Well,:biggrin: er, uhnn, :irked: what can I say?:rocker:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I too have a habit, I drink. The byproduct of my habit is urine. So how would they feel if I stood on the table and pissed all over them? :biggrin:

Chris

Erm, well urination is a byproduct of life regardless of what you drink but how about, drinking makes you puke? You could always puke all over people :rocker:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

The smoke issue aside, that's pretty poor form for a seller anyway. If I was going to sell an article of clothing that had been worn even once it'd be washed first. I have a similar thing with second hand books though, I hate it when someone has obviously been smoking while they were reading it. Admin: Very little makes me puke. It's as though once my stomach gets hold of something it's not going to let it go without a fight. Chris

I recently has some cross words with a seller on eBay. I purchased a skirt from her. The trouble was: when I received it, it has to be washed first as it absolutely stank of stale cigarette smoke. She claimed she was a non-smoker who only wore it once. Obviously, the occasion she wore it was to a smoke filled night-club. The smell was disgusting!

Whenever I buy clothes on eBay now, I try to look to see if the seller has mentioned if it is laundered and/or from a smoke/pet free home.

Sounds to me like she was a smoker and could not smell the smoke on the skirt, you think that she would have washed it before she put it on ebay!

The problem with people who smoke is that they are addicted to it and cannot give it up. I have known people with cancer and heart problems who were told by their doctor to give it up as it is killing them, they have just carried on and died!

If these people don't care about their own health, they are not going to be worried about what they are doing to anyones else's health. The non-smoking public need to be protected from these people.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

...The problem with people who smoke is that they are addicted to it and cannot give it up. I have known people with cancer and heart problems who were told by their doctor to give it up as it is killing them, they have just carried on and died!

If these people don't care about their own health, they are not going to be worried about what they are doing to anyones else's health. The non-smoking public need to be protected from these people.

I don't think you got one word quite right, it's ADDICTED! Few things in this world are more addictive than the nicotiene in tobbacco. 30 years back when I was fighting it, there were no patches or chews or anything like that to help. Let me tell you, I literally needed the power of Almighty GOD to break the habit. So I know from personal experience that however much one cares for one's health has nothing to do with it. When yer hooked, you are really hooked! So take it from me, after I've lost some friends who were unable to stop, I know that such people need both understanding and help :rocker: - not condemnation.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Guest ilovepumps!

Im all for this smoking ban. If smokers want to die early, fair play to them, but dont drag us non smokers along with them.

I think Skirted-UK was only referring to those smokers who do not care about themselves or others.

Regardless, anyone fighting this particular problem is welcome to PM me and I absolutely promise whatever help or support I can offer without judgements. :rocker:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I remember when one of my friends was trying to quit smoking. There was a farmers' market near where I used to live, so I offered to buy a cattle-prod and zap him with it if he gave in and smoked. He didn't take me up on the offer... :rocker: Joking aside, he just went cold-turkey and managed to stay off them. Chris

I remember when one of my friends was trying to quit smoking. There was a farmers' market near where I used to live, so I offered to buy a cattle-prod and zap him with it if he gave in and smoked. He didn't take me up on the offer... :rocker:

Joking aside, he just went cold-turkey and managed to stay off them.

Chris

Some people can quit "cold turkey". Nevertheless, the sad but simple truth is that tobacco is so terribly addictive that most people cannot give it up without some kind of support. I've been there and I know!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Its not quitting smoking thats hard, its not starting again that always caught me out. I havent smoked since xmas last year...and i think that if i still smoked, i would be glad of the ban. I think a large part of smoking is social smoking, eg, if you are a 10 a day smoker and you go to a pub, you seem to smoke a heck of a lot more around all your mates (if they smoke too) because it almost seems the 'sociable' thing to do. As opposed to when your in your house, and no one else there smokes, and you have to stand outside the front door in the freezing cold to smoke your smelly cigarrette. I think the ban will definitley cut the numbers of smokers, which is brilliant.

Its not quitting smoking thats hard, its not starting again that always caught me out.

I havent smoked since xmas last year...and i think that if i still smoked, i would be glad of the ban. I think a large part of smoking is social smoking, eg, if you are a 10 a day smoker and you go to a pub, you seem to smoke a heck of a lot more around all your mates (if they smoke too) because it almost seems the 'sociable' thing to do. As opposed to when your in your house, and no one else there smokes, and you have to stand outside the front door in the freezing cold to smoke your smelly cigarrette. I think the ban will definitley cut the numbers of smokers, which is brilliant.

10 A DAY?!? That's hardly enough to keep the cough going! Before I quit I was already past 2 packs a day and I knew the damn things were killing me! When the first decision of your day is whether to turn off the alarm clock or to light up a cigarette - I'd say you've got a problem :rocker:; and that's exactly where I was!:huh::irked::biggrin:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I am happy to say that as of Dec.7 2006, Ohio has gone smoke free in ALL public and work places as has Nevada and Airazona. People where I work have to go out on the street on their break to smoke. Most work places have banned it completly off company property including parking lots.YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA!!! Businesses have to post no smoking signs with a toll free number to report violators at every entrance. Smoke related desiese causes 450,000 deaths in America a year and 50,000 from second hand smoke.Cigerrets have over 450 chemicals and 40 other leathal poisens that all should NEVER be inhaled. Boy, don't know how I missed this thread.LOL. Want more info, I got it. Yes I am an ex smoker but I got wise 10-12 years ago and chose life. Now I am with smoke free Ohio and WE finally made it happen. Now we can take our children and ourselves to any resturant,bar,pub,bowling ally,etc.etc.and breath clean air. It's my right to breath clean air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

real men wear heels

I am happy to say that as of Dec.7 2006, Ohio has gone smoke free in ALL public and work places as has Nevada and Airazona. People where I work have to go out on the street on their break to smoke. Most work places have banned it completly off company property including parking lots.YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA!!! Businesses have to post no smoking signs with a toll free number to report violators at every entrance. Smoke related desiese causes 450,000 deaths in America a year and 50,000 from second hand smoke.Cigerrets have over 450 chemicals and 40 other leathal poisens that all should NEVER be inhaled. Boy, don't know how I missed this thread.LOL. Want more info, I got it. Yes I am an ex smoker but I got wise 10-12 years ago and chose life. Now I am with smoke free Ohio and WE finally made it happen. Now we can take our children and ourselves to any resturant,bar,pub,bowling ally,etc.etc.and breath clean air. It's my right to breath clean air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entire states going smoke free; Ohio, Arizona, NEVADA??? I might have to move.

But yes, most medical authorities will tell you in a heartbeat that smoking is the NUMBER ONE cause of preventable disease and death.:biggrin: We can all breathe easier without it.:rocker:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

First of all, I'm not a smoker so it doesn't matter to me what, where or when politicans declair smoking illegal. However, I've often wondered why, if smoking is so harmful to a person's health, the US Government -FDA- hasn't declared tobacco an illegal substance like cocaine? Perhaps it has something to do with the huge number of dollars ($) local, state and federal governments collect in taxes each year from selling tobacco?

First of all, I'm not a smoker so it doesn't matter to me what, where or when politicans declair smoking illegal. However, I've often wondered why, if smoking is so harmful to a person's health, the US Government -FDA- hasn't declared tobacco an illegal substance like cocaine? Perhaps it has something to do with the huge number of dollars ($) local, state and federal governments collect in taxes each year from selling tobacco?

Finally catching on to that one, are you? Since I have never seen any documented health benefit to smoking, the only sensible answer to your question is the TAXES! BTW, did you know that at one time America had exactly one and only one cash crop? You guessed it - TOBACCO! We've been growing and exporting the snuff- er - stuff for hundreds of years!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Entire states going smoke free; Ohio, Arizona, NEVADA??? I might have to move.

But yes, most medical authorities will tell you in a heartbeat that smoking is the NUMBER ONE cause of preventable disease and death.:biggrin: We can all breathe easier without it.:rocker:

There are now I think 11or12 states that are smoke free.

real men wear heels

Smoke free states and countries. Recently added was Ohio,YES!!! Nevada, and Arizona.

While I find the AMA report encouraging, it is also far from satisfying. For example, both Alabama and Arkansas had very limited restrictions on smoking (in and around hospitals, etc.) while most of the other states had bans on smoking in the workplace and in certain public areas. I was somewhat surprised at the fairly sweeping bans in New York. I never would have expected it there. Still, it is a start, I suppose.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Mind you, I'm a dedicated non-smoker. Never smoked a day in my life and don't intend to start. Ever. Tobacco -- I hate the stuff, it stinks and it is unhealthy. And nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known -- just ask any smoker about their first cigarette, it's never a pleasant experience. I enforce a strict smoking ban in my home and in my vehicles. But at least in the United States, these smoking bans bug me. This is supposed to be the "land of the free" and we keep ratcheting down on what people can do. My home -- that's not a public place. But a shopping mall or a restaurant -- those are public places -- and at least restaurants have had smoking and non-smoking areas for years. If tobacco is so confounded bad for us then why don't we just ban it outright? Of course all Americans know the answer to the question at the end of my last paragraph -- Washington DC and all the state governments are positively addicted to tobacco . . . revenue. In the form of taxes. If we are really all that concerned about public health then we had better ban the use of the wheel post-haste -- ever look at traffic death statistics?

Have a happy time!