Stupid Questions!

Is it me or do other people find some people's questions infuriatingly stupid? I don't mean in a naive way I mean in a "I can't be arsed to find out for myself" kind of questions. People ask whether they can buy a particular brand of boot from a particular shop; WHY CAN'T YOU CALL THE STORE AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF?! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO? Then you get people who are SOOOO obviously fishing for someone to send them a pair of heels. "I'd like to try high heels but I can't find them in my size, I take a UK8." WELL TRY DOLCIS! OR EBAY! OR YOUR LOCAL HIGH STREET! This is a message to the next person who asks a stupid question, you will be very lucky if you don't get a reply at all!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

No, it's not just you. Naivety I don't have a problem with, and I've probably asked the odd stupid question myself while having a blonde moment, but some of them are transparently a "can't be arsed to look". I've seen many questions asked on many forums that I've answered after a couple of minutes on Google. Chris

Sometimes people aren't asking the question that they really want to ask, so I give new members a bit more leeway in that regard. In any case this is a "discussion forum", and you never know where the conversation might eventually lead, once started. However, yes I do sometimes despair that people ask something that could easily be found with a very quick search on Google or Yahoo. In that cae I would much prefer to see a post that begins: "Look what I found; what do you think of that/those?" Anyway, as ever, if you don't like the topic of a thread then you are free to avoid posting in it. :-) I've done that.

I think at times people aren't satisfied with the info on the net as it doesn't tell actual experiences people have with online shoppes, such as how true sizes are, and quality issues such as construction.

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam

and then, there are those members that post worthless replies. Replies that don't really add anything to the discussion....repiles that just build up their posting numbers. (wastes a lot of time when trying to keep up with threads).

Is it me or do other people find some people's questions infuriatingly stupid? I don't mean in a naive way I mean in a "I can't be arsed to find out for myself" kind of questions. People ask whether they can buy a particular brand of boot from a particular shop; WHY CAN'T YOU CALL THE STORE AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF?! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO?

Then you get people who are SOOOO obviously fishing for someone to send them a pair of heels. "I'd like to try high heels but I can't find them in my size, I take a UK8." WELL TRY DOLCIS! OR EBAY! OR YOUR LOCAL HIGH STREET!

This is a message to the next person who asks a stupid question, you will be very lucky if you don't get a reply at all!

I think first we need to learn how to spell STOOPED

real men wear heels

Do you think "Stupid" should hurt?? I have always thought it should, might be less stupid people out there, or rude for that matter of fact...

I think we're all stupid at one time or another, but if it hurt, we might learn from it???????

Katherine

Sometimes people aren't asking the question that they really want to ask, so I give new members a bit more leeway in that regard.

In that cae I would much prefer to see a post that begins: "Look what I found; what do you think of that/those?"

Anyway, as ever, if you don't like the topic of a thread then you are free to avoid posting in it. :-) I've done that.

Why don't they just ask what they want to know? If they ask one question they're going to get a reply to that question. Not many of us are clairvoyant. I too would prefer them to do the research themselves, asking for an opinion or a novice asking for hints and tips is not stupid IMO. I don't reply to them but I hate wasting my time reading them, you don't know what the person has written until you've read it!

I think at times people aren't satisfied with the info on the net as it doesn't tell actual experiences people have with online shoppes, such as how true sizes are, and quality issues such as construction.

Asking for an opinion or a review is different from being lazy.

Not everybody is articulate enough with a computer to find out what they want. Not all men are happy to walk in a womans shoe shop to enquire or even look in the shop window. I don't think people ask stupid questions at all. You don't have to answer them. There are plenty of other members here to help them.

But they're articulate enough to post in a forum eh? :rocker:

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I agree with you here, Dr. Shoe, and wanted to throw in my ten bucks!

I don't have any problem pointing people in the right direction.

I take issue with those who refuse to follow the answer and instead plop themselves down in the poppy fields and continue to ask the same questions.

There's a solution: GOOGLE

The problem is, some people aren't into solutions - they're only into their own problems. They're happier being the center of attention with a problem and lots of people coming to their aid rather than simply standing up and opening the door that's right in front of them.

They're misery lovers, pure and simple, and they wallow in misery!

Then there is another category -- the wishful thinkers. These people already know the answer to their question but they don't like it and they are hoping somebody can tell them how to bend reality.

Have a happy time!

• 2 months later...

Why don't they just ask what they want to know? If they ask one question they're going to get a reply to that question. Not many of us are clairvoyant. I too would prefer them to do the research themselves, asking for an opinion or a novice asking for hints and tips is not stupid IMO. I don't reply to them but I hate wasting my time reading them, you don't know what the person has written until you've read it!

Asking for an opinion or a review is different from being lazy.

But they're articulate enough to post in a forum eh? :wink:

Dear Dr, (I just knew that I would eventually get a chance to use that line.)

As you have, no doubt, observed, the people on this forum actually present 2 profiles. One is the "official" profile thet they post about themselves. Then there is the unofficial profile that they present every time they make a post on this forum. In the process of time it is easy enough to recognize who is being honest and who isn't; who should be taken seriously and who is just "messing around".

As god's children, we must all be patient and kind to the feeble, the blind, the backward, the underprivileged, as well as to dumb animals.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

"articulate" Just a mild warning to all. Be very careful of whom you indicate as being "articulate." One candidate for President of the USA was recently complimented as being "articulate" without the speaker realizaing that that word has particularly harmful stereotype connotatons to a specific ethnic group. However, after much discussion amongst learned members of this offended group, it appears that there is no compliment that anyone could pay to any member of this group about their superior intellect that wouldn't be derogatory. Implication here is that "this person is intelligent and all of others of his race are not." So, rule of thumb. Any adjative describing any individual belonging to this particular ethnic population should be avoided at all times lest the sensitivities of the whole group be vitiated. That would be against all covenents applied to postings on hhplace. And, we all know how diligently and harshly our "moderators" apply their craft.

"articulate"

Just a mild warning to all. Be very careful of whom you indicate as being "articulate." One candidate for President of the USA was recently complimented as being "articulate" without the speaker realizaing that that word has particularly harmful stereotype connotatons to a specific ethnic group. However, after much discussion amongst learned members of this offended group, it appears that there is no compliment that anyone could pay to any member of this group about their superior intellect that wouldn't be derogatory. Implication here is that "this person is intelligent and all of others of his race are not." So, rule of thumb. Any adjative describing any individual belonging to this particular ethnic population should be avoided at all times lest the sensitivities of the whole group be vitiated. That would be against all covenents applied to postings on hhplace. And, we all know how diligently and harshly our "moderators" apply their craft.

As far as I am concerned, that entire incident is a shining example of just how out-of-hand this "sensitivity" situation has gotten. I refuse to accept that referring to somebody as "articulate" or "intelligent" is a slur against anybody else, either individually or as a group. Anybody who does take offense to that has a problem and they are attempting to project it on to the rest of us.

There are way too many people milling about just waiting to be offended, they will latch on to the slightest issue and work themselves into a self-righteous snit over it. And it is not just members of this particular ethnic group engaging in this nonsense. It harkens back to the feminist days when complimenting a woman on her appearance was likely to engender a negative reaction from her. In the end all this negative feedback causes people to just quit caring and then we as a society bemoan the "loss of civility".

I may be raising a stir here but this incident really "got my goat".

Have a happy time!

I don't know. If someone introduced me as an intelligent Welsh man - as if that was a wonder in itself I don't think it would go down too well. But if you can't see what all the fuss is about you can't see it.

Actually, I disagree. Sometimes you need two adjectives to describe someone, especially if they're a close friend.

To say that someone is Welsh is a bland neutral statement that neither compliments nor offends. To introduce someone as intelligent and Welsh cannot be offensive but I can see why perhaps introducing an intelligent welshman could be but in most cases you will find that this is a demonstration of inarticulate speech rather than a deliberate attempt to offend.

If someone were to say that Trevor McDonald was articulate and intelligent do you think that other blacks would be offended or do you think they'd hold him up as a role model?

It is ridiculous NOT to compliment someone just in case you offend his mates!