"Baby on board" stickers

NY drivers.. if you can survive them.. you can practically drive anywhere! RPM

Nope! Sorry, I can't agree. I have driven from Maine to California and Florida to Vancover, BC.

LA drivers are bad:evil: ; Texas and Atlanta drivers are worse:evil1: ; and NY city drivers are really bad:furious: . But nobody truly qualifies as a "survivor" until you've driven the streets of Washington, DC for at least a year or two:censored:! If you can survive the streets of Washington, DC for 5 years I'll guarantee that you can drive anywhere with a reasonable hope of arriving alive.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

...I agree there are way too many handicapped parking spaces.....Have you ever seen ALL of them filled? Katherine

Yup! Plenty of times! Don't know if they were all ligitimate, but they all either displayed handicapped tags or placquards, so it's not my place to judge. But the local Wal-Mart usually has them all filled.

As for the abusers, about a $250 - $300 mandatory fine should go a long way toward changing their habits.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Even worse the trend has now spurned the "Babe on Board" stickers. I wouldn't mind so much if it were actually true but in most cases a shell suited, track shoed Vicky Pollard wannabe emerges. It takes the definition of "Babe" to new lows. Now if a fur coated, high heeled, opera gloved Lady Di look-alike elegantly stepped out, then I would deem the car definitely desrved the right to own the sticker after all.

NY drivers.. if you can survive them.. you can practically drive anywhere!

RPM

Well, I drove from the Statue of Liberty, through the Lincoln tunnel, headed North along one of the more famous streets, and wound up in Boston (our destination).

A little harrowing, but not that bad, really, having driven all over Norther Virginia, Washington DC, and Southern Maryland for three years.

Even Seoul, Korea, wasn't that bad.

Italy, however, was.

What was far, far worse, however, was Africa. In some places the roads are littered with wrecks, and to get from one place to another, about half the time you're dodging potential incomming. It's a VERY defensive environment.

RPMindy has a point there. If you are going to be hit---you are going to be hit. I have been in 4 accidents in the last 10 years and they were all caused by the other drivers. Luckily I didn't get even a scratch as my car took the brunt of it all, but I often wonder if they learned anything after each occurance dipped quite heavily into their wallet to the tune of thousands of dollars each time to put things back right as before. My driving record is spotless---no traffic tickets, no points against my license, no accidents charged against it either in almost a million miles in a lifetime of driving. Mickey says that my middle name is "Timeex" because I take a licking and keep on ticking. If people would drive senseably by following the rules of the road and give up the additude of "Me first, get out of my way, you don't deserve to be on the road"---we wouldn't need "Baby on Board" signs or any other signs in our car windows and we would have less carnage on our roadways and our insurance costs would drop dramatically. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

RPMindy has a point there. If you are going to be hit---you are going to be hit. I have been in 4 accidents in the last 10 years and they were all caused by the other drivers. Luckily I didn't get even a scratch as my car took the brunt of it all, but I often wonder if they learned anything after each occurance dipped quite heavily into their wallet to the tune of thousands of dollars each time to put things back right as before. My driving record is spotless---no traffic tickets, no points against my license, no accidents charged against it either in almost a million miles in a lifetime of driving. Mickey says that my middle name is "Timeex" because I take a licking and keep on ticking. If people would drive senseably by following the rules of the road and give up the additude of "Me first, get out of my way, you don't deserve to be on the road"---we wouldn't need "Baby on Board" signs or any other signs in our car windows and we would have less carnage on our roadways and our insurance costs would drop dramatically.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Highway carnage?!??? Take it from me, you haven't begun to speak to our highway carnage! When both the Marines and the Army can truthfully say, "You are safer in combat on the streets of Baghdad than you are on the US highway.", I'd say there's a real problem! We haven't quite reached the point where we kill more people on US highways every year than we've lost in all wars put together - but take my word for it, we've got people working on it around the clock! The fact is: No place on planet Earth is more dangerous than the US highway!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

No place on planet Earth is more dangerous than the US highway!

ISTR that US roads are in the middle of the league for death. UK is one of the better places with only the Scandinavians doing any better. In Europe, Belgium is usually reckoned as pretty bad. I hate to speculate about road deaths in the Middle East. Israeli taxi drivers all believe they are auditioning for a charioteers part in Ben Hur and it can't be any better in Egypt etc.

ok.. NY may no longer be the worse place to drive.. I can live with that. I just know one thing.. we've got a lot of idiots on the road who don't know what they're doing. unless in the US..we have a stricter way of qualifying who should drive and who shouldn't... we'll have one of the worse set of highways in the world. thankfully.. some are paying attention and are better drivers.. but the whole mental make up of th US will not move in the direction of safer drivers any time soon. by the way... speaking of africa.. when my dad lived there... he said if you had no idea of the mind set behind the wheel.. you'd be in a world of hurt.. he's driven in many third world countries.. you have to know the mindset to survive.. if not.. you're blow off the road. so... either way.. everywhere has nutjobs on the road.. our job is to steer clear of them and not get hurt. sadly.. not everyone is that fortunate RPM p.s. even if your car was painted bright yellow with flashing lights.. some idiot will find a way to run into you eventually.. it's only a matter of time

ISTR that US roads are in the middle of the league for death. UK is one of the better places with only the Scandinavians doing any better. In Europe, Belgium is usually reckoned as pretty bad. I hate to speculate about road deaths in the Middle East. Israeli taxi drivers all believe they are auditioning for a charioteers part in Ben Hur and it can't be any better in Egypt etc.

I'll need some numbers before I back off of my statement that the US highway is the most dangerous place on Earth. In terms of annual deaths and injuries I know of none worse. America has easily had more people killed on the highways than the total number we've lost in ALL wars combined, and we are now reaching for that figure on an annual basis. While individual driving skills and specific situations may seem worse in some other locations, in terms of the total number of deaths and injuries, I know of none worse.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Um. Sorry to jump in, but "lies, damn lies, and statistics." Most dangerous per what? Mile driven? Minute spent in that locality? If you're simply talking "total deaths", I suspect (without proof) that there are more road deaths than deaths from jumping off bridges, simply because fewer people jump off bridges than drive - so presumably if one prefers to stay alive, one should jump off a bridge rather than drive. It's worth examining any set of figures and ensuring that the numbers can be used to answer reasonable questions. In terms of deaths per minute spent in the location (or, put another way, chance of death per unit time), I suspect (again without proof) that jumping off bridges is higher-risk than driving, and that being on the streets of Iraq at present is rather higher risk than driving in the USA. [Edit: Yes, even in New York :-)]

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Here are some numbers. They are based on road deaths as a fraction of total population. The numbers in the table are road deaths per 100,000 of population.

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/statistics/multi-country_death-rates_1988-2001.htm

My hunch about the UK being pretty good seems to be right but I think I owe Belgium an apology. Just look at Portugal!

The USA figures by state are interesting too. NY comes out pretty well, despite the hairy driving in NYC.

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/statistics/stats-usa_indiv-states_per-capita_2002.htm

Cool - thanks for those. So, roughly, 1 in 5,000 (20 in 100,000) deaths is a road death. 1 in 3,000 is high, 1 in 10,000 is low.

Simplistically, assuming I live for 80 years and drive (or ride as a passenger) about as much each year, I have about (80 * 20) in 100,000 = 1,600 in 100,000 = 1.6% chance of dying in a road accident through my life. It's actually a hair lower than that as I should be taking into account early fatalities, but hey - it's in the neighbourhood. I'd expect it to be within a factor of 2, so somewhere between 0.8% and about 3% of UK deaths.

For comparison, lung cancer accounts for 6% of all deaths in the UK (source: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/lung/mortality/ - potentially a biased source, I accept).

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

I love my NY drive when it's not rush hour.. I hate the slow pace and the mind numbing wait.. but I love my NY drive!!!!! i made it sound real bad.. but to me... it's great :rocker: alot of great points made.. sure.. because so many of us are on the US roads.. we have a total number of injuries higher than most places... but as pointed out... other things kill more than driving. what i do want to point out (and i don't have the quote from both the history channel and discovery channels).... other contries with higher safety standards are lowering the morbidity of the types of injurires faced on the roads and suggests that we can do the same at a more aggressive pace than we've been doing. other than that.... yeah.. I love my NY drive.. nut cases and all. (the number of nut jobs seems to have increased.. but also the skill set to avoid getting hit seems to have gone up too) RPM

...alot of great points made.. sure.. because so many of us are on the US roads.. we have a total number of injuries higher than most places... but as pointed out... other things kill more than driving.

RPM

Now yer hitting on all cylinders! The simple fact is that America has more vehicles and more road miles than any other country in the world. Therefore, something would be strangely outta whack if we didn't have: 1] the greatest number of road crashes; 2] the great number of road injuries; and 3] the greatest number of road deaths of any country on Earth. While I have absolutely no stats to back this up, my guess is that there are a minimum of 10 million people on the US highways at any given moment, and rush hours get far worse than that.

Yes, there are other killers out there that do indeed take their toll. But the fact remains that the US highway is the most dangerous place on Earth.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels