"Baby on board" stickers

What is the point of these? Is it to discourage people from intentionally ramming the back of your car? Or is it in case people who are inconsiderate enough to drive in your boot might have a change of heart if they think that there's a sprog in the car? Maybe I should get a "Healthy adult, but still doesn't want to be hit from behind." sticker for mine. Chris

It should be illegal to display them unless you actually had a child inside, much like L plates and learner drivers... I think that they're only there to say "Look at me! I have a kid and you probably don't!"

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I saw two girls in a car once displaying a "baby on board" sticker, and when I pulled up alongside them there was indeed a baby in the back. They were also both smoking with the front windows open about an inch. Obviously damaging the poor wee beggar's lungs was a lesser concern for them... Chris

I don't see the point of them either. Its usually the baby in the back that survives a bad car crash when everyone else is killed. It would be more to the point to have a 'Granny on board' or ' Beware there is a woman driving this 4X4 ' sticker. Of course in these mad times of political correctness, it could be there to warn you that it might be sick or pee on you, or even give you a nasty suck!

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

What is the point of these? Is it to discourage people from intentionally ramming the back of your car? Or is it in case people who are inconsiderate enough to drive in your boot might have a change of heart if they think that there's a sprog in the car?

Maybe I should get a "Healthy adult, but still doesn't want to be hit from behind." sticker for mine.

Chris

Hey Chris

Totally blinding fog lights are also useful for this when people try to tow a lift behind you or are simply trying to read your chassis's serial number while driving along.

Just switch on your fog lights at the moment you can no longer see their number plate and if that doesnt work, then just slow down to 5mph (On single carraige urban roads) or around 40mph on the motorway

They soon get the hint...

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Those of you that have done this will understand. Bringing home your little girl from the hospital for the first time is terrifying. On that journy everybody seems to drive like lunatics! It is not surprising that some forlk are driven to putting a sticker in their back window. For me it works, even though I never used one myself, it is a good indication that the person driving the car has just had a kid, their minds are on other things, they are suffering from lack of sleep and they are checking on the little one more than the road. keep away from them.

The angels have the phonebox.

I agree Chris, the owners of those vehicles who display those signs are doing so in a misguided belief that they will affect other persons' driving habits. If we needed to be reminded that our driving isn't up to scratch then we shouldn't be driving at all, or if it's an excuse for possible irratic driving, then again, we shouldn't be behind the wheel. To continue my ranting........... Why do people drive around with their fog lights on when it's not foggy or snowy? ...........and those middle lane 'hoggers' on the motorway!

Hey Chris

Totally blinding fog lights are also useful for this when people try to tow a lift behind you or are simply trying to read your chassis's serial number while driving along.

Just switch on your fog lights at the moment you can no longer see their number plate and if that doesnt work, then just slow down to 5mph (On single carraige urban roads) or around 40mph on the motorway

They soon get the hint...

The fog light thing wouldn't really work for me, as it's way down low on the car. I have purposely slowed down when I get some idiot trying to get in the back seat though. I used to live in the countryside, and because I knew the roads really well I'd average about 60 along them. One day I ended up with some twerp in a BMW driving in my boot despite the fact that I was already going as fast as the law would allow, and that there was nowhere he could overtake. After two or three miles of me driving at a steady 15mph I was sure I could see steam coming out of his ears!

Puma: I have driven laps around middle lane hoggers if the motorway's been quiet enough. Overtake in lane three, cross over to lane one and drop back behind them, then overtake again. Lather, rinse, repeat. I once managed to do four circuits of a Volvo before he realised and moved over!

Chris

I personally discovered a bright "Back off NOW or I'll SHOOT!" sign in my rear window works well.

Just kidding...

One night around 12:30 am along a very dark and secluded stretch of Montana Interstate my wife woke me in a frenzy to tell me a truck was following us. She was doing about 80 and was in a frenzy. I told her to simply speed up as we were in a sports car and there was no way the trucker would be able to keep up, but she was afraid of having an accident. I'd had the car up to 133 mph, and it was stable as a rock, so I knew that wouldn't be an issue, but she wouldn't listen.

So, I turned around to look at the "truck" and discovered it was an 18 wheeler without any lights on about 5 feet from our bumper.

So, I reached into the back seat, pulled out my 1,000,000 candle power handheld searchlight that she she weekly used to bitch about my spending $30 too much for (it only cost $30), and told her to open the sun roof.

She refused, thinking we were going too fast, so I told her, "You have three choices: Prepare to die if this idiot runs us over, speed up, or open the dang sunroof!"

She opened the sunroof, I popped up, and "fired" the searchlight directly into his eys for about 1/4 second. He hit the brakes but started to speed up, so I fired and held the trigger.

That worked and after the idiot backed up at least 100 yards, I turned it off.

He started to speed up again so I told my wife, "Switch!" She put the gas on cruise and we switched seats (we did that often to save from having to pull over - I know, not very safe...).

I dropped it into third and floored it just as he was nearing our tail at a fast clip. I honestly though he was intended on ramming us, such was the closure rate.

Fortunately, he never got closer than about 50 feet as we left him in the dust.

I pulled off at the next exit and called 911...

with the idiot's license plate!

I know he was caught because I later received a letter in the mail asking us to fill out and sign an avadavit for reckless driving and reckless endangerment against him. We did, but we never heard if he was fined, jailed, or what.

To continue my ranting...........

Why do people drive around with their fog lights on when it's not foggy or snowy?

...........and those middle lane 'hoggers' on the motorway!

I'm not a middle lane hogger, but my foglights cast a considerable amount of light to the right and left of the road - perfect for spotting and avoiding deer while driving the backroads at night.

I always turn them off for oncoming traffic, though.

Surprised no one here has figured it out. Carpool lanes in USA require two or more people. Some idiot cop somewhere gave a mother with a baby a ticket for mi-use of car pool lane, ticket thrown out. "Baby On Board" signs to let the cops know car pool lane use is legal without getting stopped. As far as I know the sign has no legal status and I would assume that it does get abused. -- Brandy

I saw two girls in a car once displaying a "baby on board" sticker, and when I pulled up alongside them there was indeed a baby in the back. They were also both smoking with the front windows open about an inch. Obviously damaging the poor wee beggar's lungs was a lesser concern for them...

Chris

one of those things that should be illegal but won't. shame.. big time shame!!!

I don't see the point of them either. Its usually the baby in the back that survives a bad car crash when everyone else is killed. It would be more to the point to have a 'Granny on board' or ' Beware there is a woman driving this 4X4 ' sticker.

Of course in these mad times of political correctness, it could be there to warn you that it might be sick or pee on you, or even give you a nasty suck!

i never understood the whole ' i got a new kid.. i need a 4x4 now'. to me it's an excuse to get one.. that is it. space is not really an issue.. the kid is so small. and if you're saying.. you're trying to feed the child.... while driving.. then you're a big risk to the kids health and the health of others!!!

for those who suggest turning on rear-facing fog lamps to get folks off your bumper.. haven't driven in NYC. you can get shot for that in some parts of NYC!!!!! and the slowing down to 'teach' a lesson to the followers.. i've seen folks get rammed off the road and seen cars get flipped over for that.

in the story posted with the trucker.. you guys got off the hook well. that is not the most common outcome for that.. most times.. the car gets squashed!

so.. my thing.. drive with your head on your shoulders and ignore the signs. not like most parents have it. my mom once got it.. and it only lasted two weeks.

we've got too many idiots on the road.

oh.. on the subject of lights and signs... i hate tons of bumper stickers and signs on a car that means nothing or say nothing of importance... also.. i hate folks that tailgate you with their highbeams and don't move to overtake you.. but stay behind you for no reason with their highbeams. i hate that with a passion.. (there are enough street lights to drive without lights.. let alone high beams.... excluding those with a missing/broken bulb.. the law requires highbeams until you replace the bulb)

i can rant and rant on about idiots on the road with stupid signs.. but i've got to sleep now..

RPM

The message is simple, drive as if everyone else is a moron and if someone ties themself to your rear bumper in a multi-lane situation pull over and let them pass. It's annoying I know but you shouldn't take responsibility for someone else's driving. As for driving in clear weather with fog lights on: IMO cars with fog lights on should be restricted to 20mph, they'd soon turn them off then! As for 4X4 owners: You should be required to pass a special driving test to drive one and you should pay extra road tax if you live in an urban zone. IMO this is how it should be. You pass a basic driving test and then drive with probation plates on for the first year. You are not allowed on motorways without an instructor, you cannot drive a 4X4 or a minibus without an instructor and if you get caught for speeding or any other motoring offence you have to do another test and another year as a probationer. Then you can take a "part II" test where you can now drive on motorways and take your "P" plates off. After two years you take a "large car" test which will permit you to drive 4X4s and cars in excess of 100bhp. A large car is one that has a roof that is more than a certain height is more than a certain width and has wheels larger than a certain diameter.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

OK I have to post this............

Several years ago, while I was a paramedic in New York, we responded to a terrible accident on the highway. This accident involved several cars in a badly snowy night. When we got to car number 3 to check out the woman driver, she was passed out. That stupid yellow window sign, "Baby on board", told us maybe, she had her baby with her, we did not see any baby seat in the car....We did find it over the guardrail in the bushes. No back windows were broken, the door was open. I believe that little yellow sign saved that babies life. Mom did not regain consciousness until at the ER, much later.

I would like one that says "Boots on Board"......Save my Boots!

Katherine

OK I have to post this............

Several years ago, while I was a paramedic in New York, we responded to a terrible accident on the highway. This accident involved several cars in a badly snowy night. When we got to car number 3 to check out the woman driver, she was passed out. That stupid yellow window sign, "Baby on board", told us maybe, she had her baby with her, we did not see any baby seat in the car....We did find it over the guardrail in the bushes. No back windows were broken, the door was open. I believe that little yellow sign saved that babies life. Mom did not regain consciousness until at the ER, much later.

I would like one that says "Boots on Board"......Save my Boots!

Katherine

Thanks for a really heart-warming post.:rocker: I have often viewed the little yellow signs with mixed feelings: 1] I have a baby on board so please exercise care; or 2] Here's one that escaped the abortatorium, so now's your chance to get him.

Personally, I tend to exercise more caution and care whenever I see such a sign, but most people these days are so beligerant behind the wheel that it seems to make no difference. Nevertheless, I was really touched by your story.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

ok fine whit ppl who realy got baby on board, i know that you cant get baby in that baby seat while you driving, babies allways crying, riot and cant stay in that seat... i dont know how you done it, but my little brother never wanted to stay there and allways wery angry about it...

every human has they own choices...

IMO this is how it should be. You pass a basic driving test and then drive with probation plates on for the first year. You are not allowed on motorways without an instructor, you cannot drive a 4X4 or a minibus without an instructor and if you get caught for speeding or any other motoring offence you have to do another test and another year as a probationer.

Er... I'd have to disagree with you Dr. Shoe.

I started driving when I was 15. In the last 500,000 miles I've driven over the last 28 years, and in 9 countries, I've had precisely ONE accident, despite the fact that I began with a "boat" from the 1960s, have owned one SUV, and two sports cars.

The accident I did have was my skimming the side-rail on a bridge to avoid a much more slowly moving car that swerved into my lane at the last second (I was going the speed limit - he was going about 40 below the limit).

I actually managed to avoid the other car, and stopped without injury to anyone - just a banged up automobile and a bent bridge rail.

So, no, I don't think tons of graduated licensing requirements is the answer. I think a good driving program in high school is the answer, combined with removing driving privalages until people have passed remedial training for those who cause accidents.

Sound driving skills can be learned.

I'm also a firm believer of reduced insurance for those willing to take periodic driver improvement programs, such as defensive driving courses. They do make people better drivers, better at recognizing accidents about to happen, and better at avoiding them before it's too late.

My father has easily driven more than 1,000,000 miles, also in a few countries.

He's had only one accident as well, when a guy ran a red light as he was going through a green. Even then, he managed to turn a broadside against the passenger door into a right-front quarter impact.

My point is that not everyone (not even most) needs to jump through super-expensive hoops to obtain driving privalages - some are just self-taught.

Er... I'd have to disagree with you Dr. Shoe...

Sound driving skills can be learned.

My point is that not everyone (not even most) needs to jump through super-expensive hoops to obtain driving privalages - some are just self-taught.

Your point is well taken, Dr1819. However, I must point out that some people have a natural aptitude for driving and many others do not. Therefore, the really good drivers will most likely spend less time developing important driving skills. On the other hand, it is the drivers who do not exhibit a natural acumen behind the wheel that will need the greater amount of attention in learning and developing the skills they need. In my estimation, some will actually need years of training before they've mastered the necessary skills. So I think Dr. Shoe is trying to address how to regulate such a matter.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Posted Image

How about this one? We havepeople at work that complain there isn't enough handicap parking when they go in and push 1000lb. dumsters around all night long ,empty heavy trash cans, clean floors, lift 30-40lb bags of product etc.etc.

real men wear heels

Posted Image

How about this one? We havepeople at work that complain there isn't enough handicap parking when they go in and push 1000lb. dumsters around all night long ,empty heavy trash cans, clean floors, lift 30-40lb bags of product etc.etc.

Posted Image

real men wear heels

Posted Image

If they would park out in the back of the lot, then they would'nt be so fat and have a bad back so it would'nt hurt so much to get out of bed, not to mention they could also give up the garbage they consume in mass quantities into their bodies every day thats clogging their arteries and further decreasing their health so they could get rid of that stupid handicap sign!

real men wear heels

I'm sick of 4x4s being vilified. I drive a SWB Rav4, which is physically not much bigger than a Golf, it just sits a bit higher up. The reason? Because I used to live in the countryside on a road that nothing without 4WD would get up when it snowed, and it was the only thing I could find that had sufficient headroom for a Great Dane. Sadly, I no longer have either of those reasons, but why should I change a reliable car that I actually rather like? Not all 4x4s are huge gas guzzlers driven 200 yards down the road to drop off one sprog. The government is already shafting us with tax on petrol and road tax, most of which doesn't seem to go anywhere towards improving our congested pot-holed roads. If the government really wants to do something about the environment they should be pushing for all new cars sold in the UK to be dual-fuel, and be promoting bio diesel and LPG. Alternatively, they could get the public transport system to something approaching usable. Chris

I'm gonna have to agree with Dr. Shoe. Motorcyclists have to go through graduated licence tests so why not car drivers? Any one can drive a bus on a car licence so long as it's taxed as PLG in the UK. But that would be a scary thought that someone could pass their test in a car and jump into a 33 foot double decker bus! Driver improvement lessons are pointless unless you make them compulsory.

In the US, anything larger than say, a 15-pax van, requires special licenses, after one takes special training.

That's not what I was talking about. What I was referring to were normal vehicles that most people drive.

That didn't stop me from pulling an 8,500# trailer with a load-balancing hitch towed behind my GMC Yukon half way across the US. Then again, I cut my eye teeth pulling a boat trailer, so I wasn't exactly new to it...

But what about a motorhome? About the only additional issue is that if you turn too sharp you might roll it. However, their center of gravity is remarkably low, and they're less prone to rolling than some SUVs.

If they would park out in the back of the lot, then they would'nt be so fat and have a bad back so it would'nt hurt so much to get out of bed, not to mention they could also give up the garbage they consume in mass quantities into their bodies every day thats clogging their arteries and further decreasing their health so they could get rid of that stupid handicap sign!

Well, I don't know what things are like in the great state of Ohio, but in Maryland you can't even apply for a handicap placquard without a doctor's statement. I keep one handy because I need it, but occasionally I will forego a handicapped parking space if I can walk without too much trouble; in order to give someone who might be in worse shape than me a privileged space.

But what with a neighbor in a wheelchair and with my regular visits to the VA hospital, I really get a burn whenever I see someone abusing this privilege. Just the other day I found a car from out of state illegally parked in a handicapped space without the slightest hint of a handicapped person on board. If the police had found that car they would've issued a $250 ticket, and rightly so! The judges around here also have little patience with abusers.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

In Ohio anyone who has a bad caugh or sore toe can get a handicap sticker and thats what ruffels my feathers. This privladge is very much abused around where I live. I do sympathise with those who realy need it.I am the kind of guy who will turn someone in who is abusing a handicap spot so please don't get me wrong.

real men wear heels

Hello -

In New York, they have changed the laws a wee bit.....Now the handicapped sticker goes with the "person", from car to car...It stops several family members from each having a handicapped plate..

I agree there are way too many handicapped parking spaces.....Have you ever seen ALL of them filled?

I have to applaud the spaces for Mom's with small children. My daughter has 3 babies, and its a lot easier and safer for her and the kids to be parked closer. A lot of nuts driving in these parking lots!

Katherine

Katherine, i'm happy the law has changed for the handicap parking in NY. cuts on the number of cars with the sticker! The baby onboard story you told got me thinking. what if there was no baby.. but you guys thought there was because of the sign.. which got me thinking more.. if you do have a baby.. have the courtesy of taking the sign down when your child is not onboard! that way.. if a wreck happens.. a search is on because you did loose your baby.. not because you forgot to take the sign down. NY drivers.. if you can survive them.. you can practically drive anywhere! RPM