New ballet heels

radiodave

I must say, if you've never tried ballet heels, it's a whole new experience. I just picked up these:

Posted Image

I must say I salute anyone who can stand, let alone walk in them. That's okay though, they are entertaining in other ways :rocker:. They are surprisingly comfortable as long as you aren't planning to stand in them.

I have bought the same shoes. It definitely is an art to stand in them for a more than a couple of minutes. It even more difficult to walk in them as it is an almost alien experience.

But as you already said we don't necessarily have to walk in them to enjoy them. In fact if you put a lock on them the occasional wearer is pretty much trapped at the spot he or she is standing with them. The only way of moving is either on your knees or with support from walls or other objects to steady yourself.

It is definatly a skill to walking in ballet heels. I've owned ballet heels for over 5 years now, and while I can move around wearing them, it's hardly what I would consider a gracefull walk. There are those who can walk in them and look normal for a short time/distance, but I doubt anyone can stand/walk in them for extended periods of time without resting or they would cause alot of damage to their toes. Even ballerinas don't spend their entire performance en pointe. Enjoy your shoes, I hope they bring you alot of joy :rocker: Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

I have figured out a way to make your ballet boots more comfortable. Your toes will not touch at all which make them much easier to walk in and much more comfortable. I have placed a steel bar inside mine that has an L shape in the toe box. The flat bar is then bolted through the sole about midfoot. I then cut out a piece of 1/4 inch plywood in the shape of the boot from about midfoot to the toe and place it in the boot. This make the boot very tight around the foot but the toes don't touch. The L on the steel bar keeps the toes from bending down. This keeps the heel at the same height when weight is applied. I have actually walked around in a mall while wearing mine for about 30 minutes comfortably.

It is definatly a skill to walking in ballet heels. I've owned ballet heels for over 5 years now...... but I doubt anyone can stand/walk in them for extended periods of time without resting or they would cause alot of damage to their toes. Even ballerinas don't spend their entire performance en pointe.

Jim

The more I read here in the fourum and the more pix I see, get me to wondering if I could even stand in a pair of ballets. I would think that the mid calf heighth boot would offer more support, if only to the ankles. I have worn actual ballet point shoes for about 6 years now and I must say that I still can't go completely "en pointe"....I have the lambswool stuffed into the toebox and all that jazz (no pun intended) I still have too much pain during and afterward.:biggrin: BTW, the pointe shoes that I have (I have 2 pair, pink and black) were bought new in my size so that is not a factor. The only thing I haven't tried is cutting my toenails a bit shorter, and losing a few pounds. :rocker: Yes, i really don't see how the girls do it, unless it is the mere fact that they are usually always in movement; so that gives the toes some bit of respite between dance steps. I would like to try a pair of ballet boots on sometime to see how they feel. They may be just for "bedroom shoes" Hee hee......Horizonally speaking ....:irked:

I have cut my toe nails as shot as possible which has reduced the pain on the toes but there remains still a lot of pain just standing on the tip of the toe. The best help sofar was to put a somewhat stiffer foam pading ( 3/4") in the tip. This does make a noticeable difference for about 1 minute or 2. I feel you have to be genetically pre dispositioned to be able to stand and walk in ballet shoes and boots for a while. It also helps to be as light as possible which does not give me much hope as I must be more than 2 times heavier than the average ballerina.

I find that a tighter fit in the ball of the foot area helps reduce the weight ending up on the tips of the toes, unfortunatly that means a boot thats more comfortable to stand in is not going to be more comfortable for 'relaxing' in. I have one pair of Devious ankle boots that are a size 10, they are a size too big to stand in, but fit my foot well and are more comfortable for extended wear. Also my Qualifetish knee boots are comfortable for lounging around in, but the heel extends past the toe about 1/2", so walking isnt such a hot idea for extended periods.

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 4 weeks later...