How to make soles less slippery?

Liaithin

Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a while now, but finally actually registered :)

I recently bought a pair of white Michael Antonio heels off eBay (for only $5!!). They fit just fine, but the soles are very slippery. I don't know what kind of material it is, but it feels about as smooth as polished wood to the touch... So I'm fine when walking on carpeting or rough pavement, but when I first stepped onto my wooden floor, I kind of felt like Bambi when he first steps onto the ice in the movie :P

Here's a picture of the bottom of the shoes:

Posted Image

(They have a 4 3/4" heel with 3/4" platform, for the curious.)

Can anyone think of a way to make them a bit less slippery? Maybe some kind of fabric or other (rubbery?) material that I could superglue or otherwise attach to the soles of the shoes. Or a way to somehow make the soles themselves more rough?

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

The sole looks like leather from the picture.

If so, they just need to be worn a bit. Once they are scuffed up, the will not be so slippery.

If you can't wait, try some sandpaper.

This has worked for me in the past.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

• 1 year later...

Welcome Goddess Tasha Always nice to see a new female here. How about checking out the Hellos, Goodbyes & Introductions Section, and tell us about yourself?

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

My husband buys 3M Safety Step pads used for stairs from the local hardware store and cut them to shape for all my heels, it works like magic.:nervous:

In the absolute worst case try gluing some sandpaper or emery cloth to the soles. They'll be hell on the flooring for a while, but you could always remove the shoes when at home. :winkiss:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

In the absolute worst case try gluing some sandpaper or emery cloth to the soles. They'll be hell on the flooring for a while, but you could always remove the shoes when at home. :winkiss:

there's special pads which you can buy in the shoe stores. they work perfectly.

other than that is just walking around on concrete/ the streets. scuff them up a bit.

good luck.

I read this post previously & since it was originally started nearly 2 years ago didn't reply. BUT...... Rather than spending money on this & that, risking sticky bits & bobs pealing up & causing you to trip, why not............. Get a fine stick on sole put on them by your repairer?????? it will be bonded on with the correct glue, cover the entire area & last longer than any of your make shift repairs........ Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

• 3 months later...

I agree totally, when I get a new pair, depending on the quality I either take em to the cobbler or get some sticky sole grips for the outside and cushions for the interior. Great for resale value also.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Have just been doing all my niece's heels recently for this very same problem. Found even some quite expensive brands were not only very slippy, but not flush either. Used an orbital sander and some 3M Green P60 "Paint Stripper" grade sandpaper, then did the edges with some P600 Wet & Dry. She now says it's like having your heels magnetised to the floor

• 3 months later...

*edit: this is in response to shoerepairer's reply:* I am new here and have noticed you have considerable expertise, could you explain what you mean by having a "fine stick" put on the shoe? I am looking into doing some work on several of my heels and was also wondering if this can be done at home with the right tools? Thanks in advance!

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

Like I said before, do the chicken scratch on the asphalt and they will grip the floor just fine. :smile:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 2 weeks later...

could you explain what you mean by having a "fine stick" put on the shoe?

Like I said before, do the chicken scratch on the asphalt and they will grip the floor just fine. :smile:

Hoverfly's comments are all well & good, but I never assume anything! This will only work in certain instances. All shoes are produced to different specifications & production costs. scratching soles may help, if the soles are resin. but if the soles been produced in PVC, thermo plastic or leather then this may NOT help, as these materials will still slip on wet surfaces regardless as the scratching will smooth very quickly in wear & will only serve to wear the sole out quicker.

What I recommend is a sos suitible for the design of shoe, in the case of most stiletto shoes this would be a fine stick-on-sole with a light grade grip, which will improve grip & wear.

The two images below are a before & after of a pair I've done this morning. As you can see I used a material that would not make the shoes look or feel any heavier, are a similar colour to the original sole finish, so not to detract the eye from the upper & offer a grip over the original soles.

I hope I've explained this appropriately! :smile:

post-12131-133522960753_thumb.jpg

post-12131-133522960756_thumb.jpg

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.