How to professionally clean and polish boots

blackhhb

Hi,

Is there someone on the forum who is an expert in this area who can tell me how to go about professionally cleaning and polishing my wife's leather dress boots? I notice that when they are professionally polished, there is no residue of polish left on the boots, leaving only a nice shine. Does someone know of a step by step process I can perform, what type of brushes, polishes, or other materials/wax I may need to get similar results?

Here is a picture from ebay of a listing that was showing as professionally cleaned and polished. Is there a way to I can get the same results by doing it myself?

http://www.queencitytrader.com/images/Oct/22-31/25/1025b%20226.jpg

Thanks for any help and assistance.

blackhhb

Hi,

Is there someone on the forum who is an expert in this area who can tell me how to go about professionally cleaning and polishing my wife's leather dress boots? I notice that when they are professionally polished, there is no residue of polish left on the boots, leaving only a nice shine. Does someone know of a step by step process I can perform, what type of brushes, polishes, or other materials/wax I may need to get similar results?

Here is a picture from ebay of a listing that was showing as professionally cleaned and polished. Is there a way to I can get the same results by doing it myself?

http://www.queencitytrader.com/images/Oct/22-31/25/1025b%20226.jpg

Thanks for any help and assistance.

blackhhb

All I can say is: "Polish on, polish off!"

What I do is get a tin of Kiwi Parade Gloss (from any good shoe repairer) and a clean lint-free cloth. A yellow duster is traditionally used.

Wipe the boots clean with a damp cloth, using a brush to remove any stubborn dirt.

Next you open the tin and rub the duster in the polish so that you pick some up on the cloth. Next you go across to the boots and then rub the polish laden cloth on the part of the boot that you want to polish. It's best to do it in small circles. Keep going until all the polish has been transferred to the boot.

Repeat the process several times until the boots are polished.

I hope this helps!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What I do is get a tin of Kiwi Parade Gloss (from any good shoe repairer) and a clean lint-free cloth. A yellow duster is traditionally used.

Wipe the boots clean with a damp cloth, using a brush to remove any stubborn dirt.

Next you open the tin and rub the duster in the polish so that you pick some up on the cloth. Next you go across to the boots and then rub the polish laden cloth on the part of the boot that you want to polish. It's best to do it in small circles. Keep going until all the polish has been transferred to the boot.

I hope this helps!

I do this too, but I like to do the last step(s) with a slightly wet (but not soaking) cloth.

I hope this helps!

Fundamentally, this is the essence of it! However, I would like to add a few things:

1] For really dirty footwear (caked-on mud, etc.) use a good brand of saddle-soap to clean first and allow appropriate time to dry.

2] For a quick medium gloss shine a brush dabber can be used to apply the shoe polish, working in small circles. Brush briskly to a gloss with a soft brush and then buff to a high gloss shine with a high-nap shoeshine rag. Truly professional shine cloths (they're about 1/2 yd long) have a coarse side and a high-nap soft side. I use both sides

3] A complete set of brushes, rags, etc. should be kept on-hand for each color used and don't mix the tools and the colors.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 9 months later...

Here is how I polish boots or shoes. I learned this in the Canadian Military. As mentioned before, take a polishing cloth (Kiwi makes a good one) and dip it into the polish. Apply the wax in small circles. You can use a toothbrush to apply wax to the "catwalks" between the sole and the shoe. Then, buff with a shoe brush. To obtain a high gloss shine, then buff the shoes with an old nylon stocking or pantyhose. This really brings up the shine! Hope this helps. Paul

in leather & heels...

Here is how I polish boots or shoes. I learned this in the Canadian Military. As mentioned before, take a polishing cloth (Kiwi makes a good one) and dip it into the polish. Apply the wax in small circles. You can use a toothbrush to apply wax to the "catwalks" between the sole and the shoe. Then, buff with a shoe brush. To obtain a high gloss shine, then buff the shoes with an old nylon stocking or pantyhose. This really brings up the shine!

Hope this helps.

Paul

Well, that will also work, but I highly recomend first applying at least 2 heavy coats of wax/polish. Remember - that nylon is going to act like some 00 sandpaper. So after it removes what wax is there, it's going to start eating the leather itself. :smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels