Riu Leonardes: Gets Men In High Heels

dr1819

Finally some intelligent design for men's high heels!

I wonder if Riu has been frequenting this website...

Here's some more information on Riu.

IMO Riu Leonardes' style is not a male style for the future. Because at least 0.01 % of the guys have the guts to wear such extreme stiletto boots on the street. But I like his provocation. A good promotion for us. Isn't the dark blond longheared guy on the left a wonderful heels queen with his extreme pointy stilettos?!

Jean Paul Gaultier sent also some years ago his male models with funny 5'' platform boots on the stage. I'm happy that the "haute couturiers" are helping us. May be that they are sending their high heeled male models only on the "catwalk" because of the rumor in TV and the international rainbow press. Provocation sells. Nevertheless every fashion show with male high heels wearing models says to publity: That's IN for guys!

The best fashion is your own fashion!

May be that they are sending their high heeled male models only on the "catwalk" because of the rumor in TV and the international rainbow press. Provocation sells. Nevertheless every fashion show with male high heels wearing models says to publity: That's IN for guys!

They may also be doing it from feedback from the retailers, which do report sales trends. And one interesting trend being reported is that half of the larger sizes are being bought by guys.

It's an untapped market, and the designers are trying to tap it.

The problem is, I think you're right - they're designing feminine-looking heels for men, when feminine heels for men are already available. What they should do is design masculine heels for men, like those of the Harley-Davidson line, which I'd wear in a heartbeat anywhere, if they just came in my size!

Here is a link to a blog, with an interview with Rui Leonardes, who currently resides in LONDON:

http://filepmotwary.blog.com/832437/

In the interview, Rui states, ":Sex has never been my starting point when I design, my work is about questioning female and male stereotypes, blurring boundaries of gender and social identity is a subject which I'm particularly interested. People that continue to characterize themselves as rebellious or resistant continue to take fashion as a form of self expression, adopting garments as a sign of their refusal to meet social and political expectations.My high heels for men are designed for a man feet, we are not talking about tranny shoes here..men have been wearing high heels for centuries its just like walking on cowboy boots. These shoes are for men with balls and kickass women"

When I learned that Rui lives in London, I got a bit excited. In the interview, Rui commented to Filep, "When you are in London you are always welcome for a cup or 2.... Cheers." Which lead me to wonder...what if we could meet up with him during the heel meet? So, I sent Filep Motwary, the blogger an email. Hopefully, he can at least point me in the right direction to actually contact Rui.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

The problem is, I think you're right - they're designing feminine-looking heels for men, when feminine heels for men are already available. What they should do is design masculine heels for men, like those of the Harley-Davidson line, which I'd wear in a heartbeat anywhere, if they just came in my size!

Hi dr1819,

in Germany we say "da leben zwei verschiedene Seelen in meiner Brust". I'll try a translation "Two different passions are living in my heart".

One is my love for wearing myself extremely stylish stiletto boots like the male models of Rui Leonardes - obviously not your preference! The other more rational side of me is telling me that this is not the best choice for a saturday afternoon shopping tour or for doing my daily purchases. The pity is that both styles are hardly to find in male sizes. It's no problem to buy fetish thighhigh boots - Pleaser is offering them for the male carpet crawlers community even in EU 47 / US 15 / UK 13!

I'm dreaming from a shoe shop where I can buy all styles in my size: Harley-Davidson boots, 3'' cowboy boots, the actual wedge style and crazy stiletto boots. But this shop has still to be invented ...

During my daily purchases I'm wearing more shy styles. Cowgirl boots or 3'' wedges from Essence with a rounded toe box. Nevertheless a club night on extreme stiletto boots - like the models of Riu - is always a fun for me. Even if my feet are hurting afterwards. I think that I'm a little bit maso-like :rocker:

micha (*sometimes dr. jekyll sometimes mr. hyde*)

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Well, well, good news..... FilepX was kind enough to forward me Rui Leonardes' personal email address. Next step is to write Rui and see if somehow we can meet up while in London...maybe as a small group of interested members during the heel meet or as a small group of people on Friday night or Sunday...

Kneehighs

That what I call a scoop. Well done. Here's hoping Rui will respond to you and even more so would like to meet up with some of us. Certainly if he could not only go where he is going, but also do something a little more conservative and practical for everyday wear, he could be such a leading light. I am sure he would welcome to know just how many men wish to wear what he is designing.

TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Kneehighs

That what I call a scoop. Well done. Here's hoping Rui will respond to you and even more so would like to meet up with some of us. Certainly if he could not only go where he is going, but also do something a little more conservative and practical for everyday wear, he could be such a leading light. I am sure he would welcome to know just how many men wish to wear what he is designing.

TB2

Yeah, I just got off the phone with heeluis and it seems he had the same idea as me...but he was one step ahead with a phone number...so, hopefully some of us will be able to meet up with Rui.

I think that, as HHMP representatives, you should ask Rui about joining our community. Who knows, maybe he'll enjoy his stay here...

Provided that we can actually get in touch with Rui and a proper time and place presents itself, I think a visit to this site would interest him.

I for one would certainly love to meet him. Anyone who challenges stereotyped gender roles and appearances in our society is OK in my book.

kneehighs - I imagine you'll send him some of our freestyle pictures to show how we've adapted traditionally feminine footwear and attire into a workable every day outfit. It will prove to him that there are people out there interested in his work who aren't just fashonistos.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

I'm dreaming from a shoe shop where I can buy all styles in my size: Harley-Davidson boots, 3'' cowboy boots, the actual wedge style and crazy stiletto boots. But this shop has still to be invented ...

Hi, Micha. Try one of the hundreds of larger-sized shops referenced on Tall Woman Shoe Links

Quite a few (about 23) of these stores are here in Germany. :rocker:

• 1 month later...

Great news guys:

To Kneehighs

sorry about not getting your email, please feel free to contact

me...and yes, would like to talk to you when you are in london.

yours sincerely

Rui

I'll be taking two -- a MAXIMUM of 3 -- other guys with me to meet him, provided our schedules can coincide.

heeluis will be one, that I already know for sure.

A special thanks is owed to his friend, Filep Motwary, a fashion blogger, who networked me to Rui.

:rocker:

From my personal experience I can say it's quite easy to purchase the kind of heels for roleplaying/fetish, but almost impossible to get heels, especially in my size USA/M13, for regular wear. While I do like stilettos, it would be great to have half of the selection of heels women have. I'm not even talking about courts et cetera, but basic heels such as the Harleys Micha mentions above. As for the designer above: Ask him about designing more of a regular type heel as well as the more provocative ones. Don't forget larger sizes as well.

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam

I don't know about others but I am not looking for men's shoes with heels. My appreciation is for the feminine styles and cuts. Shoes that are actually built on a woman's last, albeit a larger woman. Even unisex styles like penny loafers I like to buy in women's size.

Well, well, good news.....

FilepX was kind enough to forward me Rui Leonardes' personal email address.

Next step is to write Rui and see if somehow we can meet up while in London...maybe as a small group of interested members during the heel meet or as a small group of people on Friday night or Sunday...

This is some very cool news, as you don't find a lot of articles or photo's of his styles on the net. I think he's got great vision. I would just like to see a lot more of his work on runways and in shops.......

Why tiptoe through life only to arive safely at death?