Does anyone, know or remembers "Spring o laters"

jay_nyca1

Ahhhh...one of sexiest shoe creations ever!!! Most springolators had stiletto heels of at leat 4" and the high arch drove me crazy. The elastic band which ran down the center of the shoe..heel to ball of foot to keep the shoe firmly on when walking...gave them the name..Springolator. Guess nowadays the closest thing is mules. I bought my first pair at the Paradise Bootery in Times Square NYC...not there anymore....alas. Ebay is best place to find them now.

Yes, hihls!

Thank you for the insight and comment on "Spring-O-laters! I wish someone would revive the company and the styles of shoes! I hope others will post what they have to say about them and post a pix or two?. . . .

jay_nyca1

"Hose & Heels, 4ever!"

• 7 months later...

The elastic band which ran down the center of the shoe..heel to ball of foot to keep the shoe firmly on when walking...gave them the name..Springolator. Guess nowadays the closest thing is mules.

The elastic band didn't give them that name, the company did-- it was a registered traemark. And they are "Mules" (another trademarked brand name) or slides.

Ebay is best place to find them now.

I used to see them in the thrift shops, but that was during the late 1970's when spike heels were extremely out of fashion and very difficult to find new anywhere.

Spring-O-Lators were invented by my friend Terry DeHavilland in the 1950s. A spring-o-lator is a piece of elastic running from just behind the toe area to just in front of the heel area. It was a device that both helps keep the shoe on the foot and gives a spring return making them slap against the sole of the foot making the flip-flop sound so characteristic of mules of that period. There were many manufacturers doing a similar thing including on firm that made open toe mules (or slides in US) with elasticated insocks that worked in the same way. They're largely out of fashion now because most manufacturers rely on a good fit and accurate pattern cutting to perform the same function. The term "Spring-O-Lator" is applied to the strip of elastic and not to the shoe itself as shoes of similar styles were made without the feature. Interestingly, it was Terry who suggested that I do the design course at Cordwainers College (now part of the London School Of Fashion) as he is a professor there.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Spring-O-Lators were invented by my friend Terry DeHavilland in the 1950s.

Wow, you know someone who created a bit of history! How cool is that? :o

There were many manufacturers doing a similar thing including on firm that made open toe mules (or slides in US) with elasticated insocks that worked in the same way.

It's been a very long time, but I recall seeing "Spring-O-Lator" printed on the shoes (which is how I became aware of them) in a custom type face that suggested (along with the name-- standard English cannot be trademarked, unless you happen to own Windows ;) ) that the name was trademarked. I understand how a tradename can come to aquire general usage, in the way that "Kodak" became generic, for a time at least, for any camera. Nevertheless, was the name not trademarked? I also read that "mule," which has become a synonym for "slide," was originally also a trade name.

The term "Spring-O-Lator" is applied to the strip of elastic and not to the shoe itself as shoes of similar styles were made without the feature.

Right, I understood that the name referred to the feature and not the shoe, but thought it was still trademarked, in the way that modern manufacturers patent and trademark the gel, padding, and other cusioning systems they put under insoles.

Interestingly, it was Terry who suggested that I do the design course at Cordwainers College (now part of the London School Of Fashion) as he is a professor there.

Did you get to study under him. I'll tell you, there is absolutely nothing like having a good mentor at your back to guide you through life when you're so intensely involved in learning!

Molly

I hope others will post what they have to say about them and post a pix or two?. . . .

I have a pair of shoes that are no longer wearable, which I keep around for historical interest-- one of the interesting features is the Spring-O-Lator elastic. I will make some time to get them photographed because they come up in conversations like this from time to time. I'll post them to this board under a separate topic.

Molly

[

Did you get to study under him. I'll tell you, there is absolutely nothing like having a good mentor at your back to guide you through life when you're so intensely involved in learning!

Molly

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough - I was bidding on a pair of mauve satin '70's 'Springolator' mules with 5" heels on US Ebay last week. They eventually went for a price way above my budget however.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Dead. This is because they never made them any larger than a UK8 or US10. At that time TDH was not involved in fetish footwear so it had never occurred to him to make them in larger sizes.

Dead. This is because they never made them any larger than a UK8 or US10. At that time TDH was not involved in fetish footwear so it had never occurred to him to make them in larger sizes.

Darn it. I'm genuinely intrigued in the style, too.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Funnily enough - I was bidding on a pair of mauve satin '70's 'Springolator' mules with 5" heels on US Ebay last week. They eventually went for a price way above my budget however.

I gave up on bidding for shoes on eBay long ago, for that very reason. I just do not have the resources to compete with the hard-core collectors and fetishists, and I grew tired of the frustration. Goodies are dangled before your nose for a week, then yanked up out of your reach just as you think you have them. Talking about king Tantalus in Hades! ;)

"Mules" (another trademarked brand name) or slides.

Darn it, I can't recall where I read that "Mules" was a trade name, but it turns out not to be so. Thank goodness for resources like Wikipedia. (according to the same resource, a slide is an open-toe mule).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I wish someone would make a springolator type shoe again.I bought a vintage pair a few years that where in pretty good shape.There black with a 4 inch heel and the elastic is still very tight.If you have never worn them there the most comfortable mules to wear.The elastic strap in the sole makes them stay tight to your foot so there not slapping on your heel as much as a regular mule.Id buy another pair but there hard to find in my size.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Springolator Line @ Cosplaysupplies.com

"The Springolator collection features a "Magic Cling" elastic band in the middle of the leather insole that creates tension between the shoe and the bottom of the foot. The extraordinary "sticking power" afforded by this feature allows the wearer to keep the shoes comfortably and securely on the foot. This feature reduces the chances of shoes slipping off or making disruptive clacking sounds while walking on the floor or dancing on a stage.

Pleaser USA recently conducted a pre-launch market test for the "Springolators" shoes with exotic dancers from local clubs, and the style was met with overwhelming enthusiasm. Among the comments made by participants were: "What a relief it is to be able to wear our favourite style of shoes without the worry of them slipping off!" "The arch support is unbelievable. It's like stepping on a spring."

In addition to the magnet-like feature described above, Pleaser's "Springolators" collection also features a leather-covered insole that allows for easy cleaning, a padded inner sole for extra arch support, and a raised toe bar for maximum traction."

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Springolator Line @ Cosplaysupplies.com

"The Springolator collection features a "Magic Cling" elastic band in the middle of the leather insole that creates tension between the shoe and the bottom of the foot. The extraordinary "sticking power" afforded by this feature allows the wearer to keep the shoes comfortably and securely on the foot. This feature reduces the chances of shoes slipping off or making disruptive clacking sounds while walking on the floor or dancing on a stage.

Pleaser USA recently conducted a pre-launch market test for the "Springolators" shoes with exotic dancers from local clubs, and the style was met with overwhelming enthusiasm. Among the comments made by participants were: "What a relief it is to be able to wear our favourite style of shoes without the worry of them slipping off!" "The arch support is unbelievable. It's like stepping on a spring."

In addition to the magnet-like feature described above, Pleaser's "Springolators" collection also features a leather-covered insole that allows for easy cleaning, a padded inner sole for extra arch support, and a raised toe bar for maximum traction."

Those shoes were very sexy back in the 50s, 60s, and in the early 70s.

Very comfortable for the wearers and very sexy for the viewers.

Thanks for all your replies, everyone!. . .

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that knows about "Spring o laters" and simular type of shoes!. . . .

"jay_nyca1"

"Hose & Heels, 4 Ever!"

Add my name to your list. I am an admirer of this type of shoes.

I was curious about "Spring o later" shoes, they were popular back in the mid to late 50's and early 60's! And I was wondering if any of you all also want to share anything about them? Please do feel free to post.

jay_nyca1

"Hose & Heels, 4ever!"

I used to follow women around from the back who wore those sexy Springolators. Age was not a factor. Narrow heels, tall, opened toes, and backless- wow. Brings back great memories. Any questions, let me know. thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh, yeah.... I remember Springolators. I had a Junior High School english teacher back in 1969 who wore Springolators ALL the time. She had two pairs. One gold and the other leopard print. The sandals had about a 2 1/2 inch heel. She was a fine English teacher and I loved looking at her sandals. sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 5 months later...