Most annoying phrases!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much annoying as amusing was the report in The Mail on Sunday that an advert recently appeared in a Bath newspaper saying 'Sioux chef required'. The presumption was that the vacancy was with an Indian takeway!

"Think outside the box." I know it is supposed to mean "Let's get creative" but it is a stupid way of saying that.

Just as stooped as "glass half full or half empty" Who flippin cares. Is the sun half way up or half way down? I think it's always up. DUHHHH!!!

real men wear heels

Not so much annoying as amusing was the report in The Mail on Sunday that an advert recently appeared in a Bath newspaper saying 'Sioux chef required'. The presumption was that the vacancy was with an Indian takeway!

Perhaps it's someone who cooks indians in much the same way as a family butcher....?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

... or those sociable people with cannibalistic tendencies who have friends for dinner!

I know, this just serves to illustrate how illogical and ambiguous our language can be.

In Japanese the sentence would be phrased: "Friends, dinner, having round." if they were going to eat their friends it would go something like: "dinner, friends, eating!"

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hi to All Two pharses I heard today @ the office ... "take one for the team" ... "is good for your career" ... that only means ... "you're the sucker doing this meaningless job!"

"Let's run it up the flagpole!"= "I don't care whether it is a crap idea, it's MY idea and I want everyone to see how clever I am." "...sing from the same hymn sheet..." = "my way or the highway!" "...empowerment..."= "the illusion of power!" "Think outside the box!" = "We're going to steal all your ideas!" "Teamwork!" = "Make the boss look good." "One big happy family!" = "We are part of a clique, if you don't fit in/grovel/arselick you're out!" "Work hard, play hard!" = "Work hard in the firm's time. I don't give a toss what you do out of hours, I think some of the guys go to a pub or something." "Nose to the grindwheel!"= "we're going to exploit you for all you're worth!" "Keep your nose clean" = "except when it's up my arse!"

Age restrictions are per company policy and not via some transport standard.

Yes, Lindsay, I was aware of this and not trying to suggest otherwise. But it is a fact that 'half fare' was for many years (until the 1970s) almost universally available for the under-14s on bus and train services in the UK. The rationale, as I understand it, was that those who had reached school-leaving age should pay full fare. In England, the school-leaving age went up to 15 in the late 1950s (and is now of course 16) but it took a long time for most transport undertakings to catch up - despite the majority being either nationalised or under local authority control.

Still on transport, and getting back to the true subject of this thread, it was equally traditional (at least on British Railways) to display notices requiring 'All tickets to be shewn' - always a topic of argument amongst those who no longer use the archaic spelling and prefer 'shown'.

You shouldn't mock vegetarians. You wouldn't want someone mocking you for wearing high heels, would you?

It always amazes me, that, when you (anybody) becomes something, eveyone else becomes the friggin' expert.

I'm not mocking vegetarians, I have no problem with them. However I fail to see how someone can call themself a vegetarian if they're going to eat fish. It makes no more sense than claiming to be vegetarian and still eating chicken.

Chris

You shouldn't mock vegetarians. You wouldn't want someone mocking you for wearing high heels, would you?

It always amazes me, that, when you (anybody) becomes something, eveyone else becomes the friggin' expert.

So as a vegetarian (I presume) you eat fish?

According to my dictionary, vegetarian means that you don't eat meat, which includes fish and poultry IMO. Vegans don't eat any animal products including eggs and dairy. Both should probably avoid leather products if their diet is for ethical reasons. Chris