Most annoying phrases!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything with excess words. This is usually a North American problem, but British English is starting to silt up. "At this moment in time" is a pet peeve, as "now" or "just now" are equivalent.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

This thread could run and run:- For me it's not so much any one phrase, but verbosity, especially in written English, and I'm thinking mainly of work, where people pad out sentences with waffle. In work, we're generally dealing with fairly boring things - therefore an attempt to vary the language is misguided. Pet hate today In terms of

Not a whole lot of things truly happen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!

Ah. Now I don't mind this one - but I work in the computer business, where many applications genuinely *do* (OK, should) run continuously from the moment they go live to the day they are retired.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Anyone who inserts noises such as ahh, when thay don't know what to say, so you can't get a word in edgewise. They use them like placeholders in order to avoid letting someone else speak.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

The use of the word ACTUALLY really gets up my nose. Also the phrase "In Actual Fact" is used so much here in England :evil: After all, are not all facts actual? Although I love the diversity and subtleness of english, sometime there are just too many words. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's not phrases that annoy me so much it's the way that people unneccesarily pluralise words. "Monies" and "Persons" spring to mind along with "chickens". It should be "money", "People" and as for chicken, it already is a plural of chick in the same way that children is a plural of child. Bad punctation grinds my gears too!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

BTW I regularly deliver to a factory where any wise person would avoid using pedestrian walkways because: "Danger forklifts use pedestrian walkways."

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Firstly: why would a forklift use a pedestrian walkway?

I don't know, perhaps it's got something to do with the fact that they don't want their tyres punctuated.

Actually this is only true because of repeated misuse like many words in the English language. If you look up "Chick" in any quality dictionary you will see both "Chicks" and "Chicken" listed as plurals, though it might add that chicken is an archaic term.

The way we use chicken now should be substituted by the word "Fowl" which, like sheep, is both plural and singular.

Firstly: why would a forklift use a pedestrian walkway?

I don't know, perhaps it's got something to do with the fact that they don't want their tyres puntuated.

Actually this is only true because of repeated misuse like many words in the English language. If you look up "Chick" in any quality dictionary you will see both "Chicks" and "Chicken" listed as plurals, though it might add that chicken is an archaic term.

The way we use chicken now should be substituted by the word "Fowl" which, like sheep, is both plural and singular.

Something else I hate is when we see the use os the term "Oxford Pumps".

Oxfords and Pumps are entirely different styles of shoes.

I have to disagree with you on that Dr

Oxford pumps are stilettos based on the design of regular oxfords shoes.

they are a unique style of shoe and are not really different from an oxford shoe except they have a heel on them!

The proper oxford stilettos (Not the PVC or patent ones) can actually look really sharp and smart if worn with a nice suit/tie combo too.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

A pump is an open slip-on shoe without adjustment which we call a Court Shoe in the UK. An Oxford is a lace-up shoe that by definition has adjustment, is not open and is not a slip-on.

A pump is an open slip-on shoe without adjustment which we call a Court Shoe in the UK. An Oxford is a lace-up shoe that by definition has adjustment, is not open and is not a slip-on.

Absolutely, and isnt that why the phrase/name of oxford courts/pumps came about as its a court/pump shoe but has the adjustment of an oxford.

And thats exaclt what an oxford court is, a different kind of shoe... It doesnt have the low cut vamp at the front like regular courts do either. Either way, maybe we should come up with a better name for it then.... Any suggestions?

I think that they should have advertised them as either Oxfords or Derbies. Court shoes were named because they used to be worn to the royal courts in the 18th century. However, this still defines the open shoe without adjustment.

9 times out of 10, when someone calls a national talk show host, they waste their time, the listeners' time and the host's time by inanely asking "How are you doing?", to which the host must reply in order to be polite. It REALLY frosts me!!

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Don't you think that it could be because they're nervous and just want to break the ice? Besides, it's only polite. What would you do if you were in that position?

Perception is reality. My counter: Perception isn't reality. It's merely an abstraction thereof, and quite often not a very good one at that. My other counter: If perception were reality there'd be no magicians. My third counter: Ok - I perceive that you need to get out of my face. That's reality, so make it happen. My fourth counter: Ok... How do you perceive this? (and slap them - hard) My fifth counter: Ah, but is reality merely a perception? My sixth counter: Then misperception is unreal, and therefore not possible. My seventh counter: Reall! So what do you think of my new heels?