FoxNetwork's Dark Angel TV Series Cancellation

WHY? It was one of the few television shows I liked. Why should tired franchises like Star Trek (no offense) keep chruning out shows, and something different and actually well written (thus, interesting) like Dark Angel be cancelled? Talk about leaving the story unfinished...

Did u miss my point, or are u being ironic? Queen of Swords was awful--lousy, inaccurate writing, generally bad acting (tho it was getting better), etc. But I liked the idea of a strong woman and she was pretty good with the sword! But Dark Angel. Exactly the opposite, with a strong woman hero, and it still gets the axe?? Relic Hunter doesn't even come close. As one person put it, there's nothing left on Fox worth watching (or in my case, to induce me to go back to watching); I hope they go under. GRRR

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Fox? Go under? They appeal to the lowest common denominator, the bottom of society, the dregs, so to speak, and then work their way up. I still like some of the animated shows, but that's about it for me. It's all too sensational. But today, this is what most people like. THIS is why Television is EVIL! And there's always a bit of irony in what I write. :smile:

Dark Angel never really appealed to me, but then again, I didn't see too many episodes. WITCHBLADE, on the other hand, is a much-welcome return that I'm looking forward to!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

What's Dark Angel? Never watched it. Or WITCHBLADE, for that matter. However, I'm sorry they've cancelled the program. I suppose there are more fans out there than just you. It seems to me that it would be an advantage for a commercial broadcasting station to have satisfied viewers. Oh, well! I'm just glad they cancelled Bevis and Butthead. Talk about being worthless... <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bubba136 on 2002-06-19 16:00 ]</font>

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Beavis and Butthead were great for a bit of mindless fun. I never got into Dark Angel, only saw it twice and couldn't understand the plot or premise. Witchblade is as much a mystery, but I suppose I will get subjected to it at some point. Sorry if I'm not much help

The basic Dark Angel premise: In 2011, or thereabouts, a terrorist org. got hold of and set off a special type of nuclear bomb in the upper atmosphere over America, without warning, which caused a meltdown of nearly everything electronic due to an enhanced Electro-Magnetic Pulse (very plausible possibility). The culminating effect of this was to plunge America into a new Dark Age, from which it is slowly recovering in 2021. At about the same time, a few adolescents escaped a secret quasi-Gov't-financed facility (known as "Manticore") where they had been genetically engineered from the best genes available in the natural world to be perfect soldiers-for-hire (cat genes for near dark vision, for example). One of these grew up to become the Dark Angel (played by Jessica Alba). She has enhanced abilities that no ordinary human has--strength, speed, agility, night vision, recouperating ability, and probably reasoning ability. Not unlike SuperLaurie, except that she has very black hair :smile: ! Two distinguishing characteristics of these now grown-up adolescents are 1) a genetic bar code tatoo on the back of the neck that will regrow itself even if it is removed, and 2) a potentially fatal nutritional deficiency that must be satisfied by some difficult-to- obtain ingredient every few years. Apparently pre-programmed into the genetic code to enable Manticore to keep it's minions in line. It was well-scripted and acted, filmed mostly in Seattle and Vancouver, BC. It was hailed as the best cable network new series last year, when it was on Friday at around 9pm, then they moved it to Tuesday at ~7pm, for no logical reason that I can figure, whereupon it lost market share (DUH!), so now it gets cancelled. Network executives are assholes, each and every one! _________________ Hi-Heeled Boots, Bodysuits, and Back-Zipper Pants R wikkid-kool (on me, or U)! <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: azraelle on 2002-06-19 23:25 ]</font>

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

all those fantasy shows are whack...never got into them myself....gimme some good ol simpsons, seinfeld and fraiser....those are the best shows on television....MadTV is also great show.... and dont you go FOX bashing, they carry many high quality programs.........hahahahaha :smile:

sitcoms get stale. The simpsons can stay zany and different, but everything else becomes predictable. I am tired of watching the Crane boys get into another mess and try and get out of it. It's too repetetive. At least Dark Angel was different in a good way. Star Trek, now that is predictable.

You claim Star Trek is predictable. Well aren't all TV shows. We all know that they're going to get out of whatever scrape they got into otherwise that would be the end of the series. Different shows appeal to different people. So don't knock one just because you don't like it because someone will knock the one you like.

gee, star trek fans get defensive! I prefer shows where the hero buys it in the end, myself. That's rare, because it is difficult to merchandise such programs. I think that every week, a new adventure, is too much. Each week shuld somehow build on the last week. Continuity. Earlier Star Trek series didn't do this all too well. And the idea is not to revisit a theme the next season. There needs to be continuity. We should not be able to take episodes from a given season, mix them up, watch them in whatever order, and be okay with it. Plot development over time far outweighs fantastical ideals and sci fi eye candy.

You may have something there, Laurie--nearly every series that develops the plot over time gets the axe. Network executives are dumbing America and Canada down far more than the education system. Makes you wonder what they read for literature--old Archie comic books?

This is the danger you risk when you invest your time and emotions in a TV show----you get your heart broken when the show gets cancelled. That's why i don't watch ANYTHING on any of the networks unless it's sports related. Along with ESPN, I watch lots of shows on Discovery Channel, History Channel, TLC, Court TV and Cartoon Network along with a slew of movie channels. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and all are barely a blip on my radar. And hey! Don't be dissing Archie comics! I'm a big fan! Besides, Veronica Lodge always wears the coolest shoes!!! :smile:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

But there was no plot development, no continuity, from issue to issue (each issue, heck each story within each issue, stood on its own)! That was my point. Besides, I couldn't think of any others at the time. Yeah I liked Veronica's clothes too.

I find "Becker" with Ted Dansen on Monday nights to be hilarious. His character get's to say all of the things I'd like to say in public. The only other network TV show I try to catch is "CSI". The rest of my TV viewing is Discovery, A&E, History, and Sci-fi. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I'm quite anti television most of the time, so my heart is broken by the cancellation of any series. But I enjoy a good story, and a few shows have that. Television exists to sell us things. Commercials are big business! Do you really think all of these people all over the world watch the Superbowl because they like American Football? I mean come on, if they did, most games would be made into international broadcasts. Television exists to tell us what we should buy, what we should do, and who we should be. So when a series with an actual story and some intelligence comes along, it's a wonderful thing. But then, it goes against the ideal of the marketing world, because programs that make us think then make us more difficult to sway with flashy advertising. Television. It could have been a great thing.