Favourite Vintage Fashions

Debbie(HK)

Come on guys amd gals, what's your favourite style from days gone by? For me, one of my favourites is the big swirling circle skirts with yards and yards of material. Anyone remember poodle skirts? It seems that they were pretty popular back then.

This is a platform free shoe zone!

Hiya Deb, Many of my outfits are fitted with a 50's touch. Most of my jackets are short (cropped) fitted 50's style, this style is relatively timeless always looks good and can be worn with anything. Inga

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I like those slim tight jacket and skirts combinations from the 1950's often with half sleeves on the jackets, and worn with long gloves. 3" or 4" pencil heels completes a very narrow yet curvy look, and you certainly need the figure for it. There are many more examples in the bygone fashion sections of tight skirts page.

Posted Image

I'll just post the thunbnail here. You can see the full size one and many others at

http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/street/zh84/other/index.html

Believe in your right to wear what you want

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-24 03:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-28 01:05 ]</font>

Thanks Firefox, sites such as one on you post do enrich the mind with ideas for the next shopping spree, I have around 20 business outfits, no harm done expanding this. Inga :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-01-26 13:12 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I wonder how far people would go with their favourite retro look? OK you might wear the heels or the skirt, but would you go the full way with the hat and the jacket, seamed stockings etc. It's nice to be original to some extent, but how many have got the confidence to go the full way? _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-31 00:42 ]</font>

I'd love to see that Debbie. I've never seen someone go the whole way with the retro look, even a guy wearing a bowler and starched collar. It just doesn't seem to happen. Maybe instead of those dress down days they should have a dress back day!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of the wood high heels worn in the 1970s and 1980s. There are some really sexy, strappy styles from back then that I would love to see worn again these days. I actually collect such shoes and my girlfriend wears them for me "behind closed doors."

• 3 weeks later...

I just cannot access the tight skirts pages anymore since more than a week. Anybody else has that problem or discovered it's relocation yet?

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 1 month later...

I also like the unique sensations provided by very tight skirts and have had quite a few taken in to be very tight, including my leather one. On some it is sufficient to sewn up the walking slit to get the proper feel. I also have some tight ankle models that came with a zipper, allowing me to open them up temporarely when having to climb stairs or so. On ultra tight skirts, a zipper or buttons are a real necessity for them to be of any practical use. Normal walking (with knees almost locked together) poses no great problems after a while and I can walk faster that way as my friend in his pants. I sometimes wear my tight knee length skirts hidden under a longer coat with knee or thigh boots when shopping during winter.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer women in pants, especially jeans, sorry! About the only style of dress I really dig is a "Cheong Sam" or however you spell it (I imagine Debbie(HK)may know what I'm talking about). I like vintage pants out of the 30's and 40's as well. Favorite vintage style is "Chemin de Fer" jeans, circa 1977, which sported a so-called saddle back and a modified sailor-style functional double-button front. Very classy, especially if the girl was dancing in them!

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

At least you have good taste with the cheungsam :smile: as you probably know, I'm not a fan of 'pants' :smile: I love the classic 50's look and heels of course. I have 3 cheungsams and they are hand embroidered silk - gorgeous!! Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

On 2002-05-17 02:48, Debbie(HK) wrote:

At least you have good taste with the cheungsam :smile: as you probably know, I'm not a fan of 'pants' :smile:

I love the classic 50's look and heels of course. I have 3 cheungsams and they are hand embroidered silk - gorgeous!!

Debbie

You, ah, wouldn't care to post a few pix of u in them (and your fav heels of course) would you??

AJ-Azraelle

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

• 1 month later...

I did go to Debbie's site--esp like the black cheungsam. This topic needs some rescucitation. A few other things that haven't come back (yet) that I like to wear and see worn: From the Womens' fashions: Puff-sleeve (both at the shoulders and at the cuffs) blouses ("and see worn") and dresses. Above the elbow gloves. Amelia Erhardt style flying breeches. Corsets in general use. And the long black pencil dress that the Adams Family mother always wore! :grin: From the Mens' fashions: Revolutionary War era "suit coats" with lots of buttons, bright colors, exaggerated collars, long tails, etc. Also the capri-length breeches. Ghillie tie or buckle shoes. Above-the-knee riding boots with cuffs, circa 16th century France. Pointy toe suede forrester's or yeoman's ankle boots, circa 12th and 13th century England. Harlequin minstrel's clothing! :smile:

• 1 year later...

I must admit I do have a fondness for tight-fitting, lined, knee-length skirts with a walking slit in the back! I have found the ones I have at estate sales although because of my height (6') I take them in for altering to the "just above the knee" length. I wear them to work-generally with seamed stockings, 6 suspender garter belt - sometimes an old fashioned, boned girdle (another fave of mine! I have 5 of them) and a long-line bra (I have three). I was at an estate sale near a country club and found the mother load! Besides 4 skirts (that I didn't even have to have altered!), 6 pairs of stockings (il the original packages) - I found 2 - 50's/60's vintage Fredericks' of Hollywood "Torpedo" bras (1black-1 white) - in MY size, still in the packages!! I bought it ALL for $25.! Other finds have been: A 60's Teal Jacquard print Emilio Pucci cocktail dress with matching 4.5" stiletto heeled shoes (Size 10! Had 'em stretched so I can wear them) and bag - $30. A Halston long, slinky dark-dark blue floor length cowl neck long sleeved formal w/matching bag - $50. A maroon directional beaded sequined single shoulder strap Lilli Ruben original floor length formal - $10!!!! A pair of early 60's "Enzel of Paris" 5" black satin french stilettos. Low cut sides with mesh inlays and low cut vamp with satin bows - worn maybe twice - in MY SIZE!!!! $5. Ciao! Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

• 1 month later...

Anita C.:-) There is probably a few ladies out there that would give their right arm to find just one of the vintage fashions that you have located, much less finding them all in one spot. WHAT LUCK! And some pretty great prices too! The people that belong to the antique car clubs that we are members of scrounge around to find costumes to fit the era of their cars. Just an added side to complete the whole look. Not only are the cars judged, but the costumnes are judged also. Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 years later...

:roll: I'm, I only wish that I could have been around for those days! Naturally I'd love to have been around for the late 30's and all through the 40's and right through to the 50's and mid 60's! When women dressed like women, and some wouldn't even get dressed without a pair of hose on! And naturally she'd be wearing a pair of heels, even if they'd be considered "low" by today's standards. As for the clothes, a women wouldn't call herself "decent" in anything less than a nice dress or skirt suit, and she's be a match right down to her hat, gloves, hand bag and shoes!. . . . And of course, sneakers, or tennis shoes were basically "forbiden" out of a sports type of setting! Casual for some would be maybe a pair of tailed women's slacks and some basic flat pumps, al la "Lucille Ball" in I Dream of Lucy and she had broken some molds for her dressing like that, then. And back then, women used to go to dress shops and have things made for them or they would have sewn things themselves. Her shoes would have either came from her dress shop or either a department store or a nice shoe store. And as for lingerie,

most things were pretty much either silk, satin or lace with not that much elastic or spandex, cause those things were expensive back then and during WWII there was a material drive for nylons, rubber, and silk, especially in the US and the UK at that time. Oh how I wish that I could have been around back in the "Heyday of Womens' fashions!. . . .

jay_nyca1

• 2 weeks later...

What you say is so true, Jay. Whether my Mom was going grocery shopping, to church or even a picnic or a movie show, she was fully dressed with seams straight, make-up, gloves, purse, and heels and wore a corset everyday of her life even while doing house-work. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Yes, Dawn.

I know exactly how you mean. I have seen some old photos and video clips and movies of how women used to dress back then! I wish that I could have been around back then! I would have been in "heaven!" When women would have just been "dressed normally" but who knew back then? It's too bad that I don't think that that style of everyday dressing will ever come back, but I do have hope?

jay_nyca1

"Stockings & Stillettos, 4ever!"