Minimum height for a high heel

Guy N. Heels

What is the minimum height for a high heel?  

518 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum height for a high heel?

This another one of those subjects that can be discussed until the cows come home. Who really gives a s#$%t anyway? :w00t2:It's not important....to me, at least......

Nor to me, Bubba. The various subjective views on what are high heels are of little importance but may be interesting to some. But I am disappointed when many of those posting (here and elsewhere) have simply not read and understood a question properly and are answering what they thought they were asked or would have preferred to have been asked. So, some at least of those reading the answers or comments are misled and the result as a whole is unreliable if not meaningless.

Perhaps I should have answered the original question with something like '2.75 kilos', or 'half-past seven'; it would have made just about as much sense! :thumbsup:

I didn't vote, as it depends on one's foot size. For me, it's around three and a half.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

• 1 year later...

For me the minimum is 12 cm.

But most of the time I am wearing 5" or 6" height.

Kiss

Sab

Agreed.....4.5" minimum to be classed as a 'high' heel.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Agreed.....4.5" minimum to be classed as a 'high' heel.

but the hight of the heel depends on the foot or doesn't it? I mean my highest heels are approx 12 cm and I have a 22,5 cm foot so... for me to be walking in everyday heels I tend to wear 9 cm and that feels fine. I can't wear 16 cm then I would have to take mini-steps if I even can walk in them at all... also worth noting the heel isn't the most important thing the way the shoe/boot looks is more important thing. The heel can be 16 cm but look terrible but that's a completely other discussion so I'll leave it there.

but the hight of the heel depends on the foot or doesn't it? I mean my highest heels are approx 12 cm and I have a 22,5 cm foot so... for me to be walking in everyday heels I tend to wear 9 cm and that feels fine. I can't wear 16 cm then I would have to take mini-steps if I even can walk in them at all... also worth noting the heel isn't the most important thing the way the shoe/boot looks is more important thing. The heel can be 16 cm but look terrible but that's a completely other discussion so I'll leave it there.

The question was - "what is the minumum height to be classed as a high heel?"

A 4.5" heel, is 4.5" - whether it is on a Size 4 foot - or a Size 7 foot.

The steepness of the arch is the thing that's affected by the length of the wearer's feet. A 4.5" heel on a Size 4 foot, will be STEEPER than a 4.5" heel on a Size 7 foot....but the heel heights are the same.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

So what? What should matter is the angle of the foot.

Questions or challenges like this make me wonder. So pussyinboots forgive me if I have stepped in too soon.

If you have a size five with a 6" heel without platforms, you would have to wear ballet styled footwear so that the tips of the toes would be able touch the floor. If a size fourteen has a 6" heel without platforms, the height would hardly be noticed comparatively as the size fourteen's toe joints would still adequately touch the walking surface. The same pinciples apply to lower heels. A 4.5" heel to a size five feels really tall, but to a size fourteen, the height of a 4.5" heel has the feeling of almost like a 2.5" heel would feel to a size five. Which means the angle of the foot depends on the height of the heel and the size of the footwear, when you're walking. If the heels are too high, the stride can't be as wide as the lower heels, therefore the very high heeler has to take more steps to reach the same destination than the lower heeler with the same size of footwear.

Questions?

We are all probably saying or referring to the same thing. It's the words that are getting in the way.

http://www.medianet.pl/~andrew/shoes/comfy_heels.htm#shoe_angle

The author proposes measuring the angle from horizontal to the downward slope of the upper foot to have a measure of your ability to wear heels.

Yes a 5" heel is a 5" heel no matter the shoe size, but the shoe size will determine who is riding the limits of nature and who is not. Basically, a size 6 wearing a 5" heel is much more impressive than a size 11, but if they both can extend their feet to the same angle, they are basically at the same ability to walk in high heels.

Just my $0.02, the angle is more telling than the heel size in my opinion.

This is a basic analysis of physics involved. The truths are irrefutable. No matter how you mix the the facts, you reach the same conclusion every time. So, for those of us that have been members here for a long time, we've settled this issue a long time ago. For any new members, like a lot of other issues discussed here, it will be re-discussed over and over, again and again. :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen sub 4" heels that look more like 5 from the distance, angle and the foot size.

Chris and I have some identical shoes except size, (5 and 8 ) some are built with a constant arch angle some are variable, our snakeskin ankle strap courts are within 1/8" same height. Chris's foot looks almost vertical and are her steepest heel! Very tottery and very hard for her to walk in, stairs are scary.

Thin heels gives the effect of more height, certainly elegance.

Many shops group high from 3 - 31/2 up as high, from 2 as mid etc.

Nienna commented

"worth noting the heel isn't the most important thing the way the shoe/boot looks is more important thing. The heel can be 16 cm but look terrible but that's a completely other discussion so I'll leave it there".

I will agree 100%,

The heel can be impressive but on an ugly or bulky shoe that effect is lost in an instant.

I believe it has to be down to the wearer and what they are used to, the ultra, ballet and pony style group may look at sub 6" as too low (for them) yet for many of us 4" is fine, 5" is top of comfort and a challenge, now I am discussing without platform! and on those figures I top out at 4 3/4".

Now what has been left out by most people is how one can walk in a heel of height, it matters naught if the highest, virtually unwalkable never leaves the bedroom if that is your desire, but for everyday if X" is normal and X+" is for evening and party time then that's the high heel and ignore the number count!

I think that's my inch and a half's worth

Al

I voted 4"/10cm..(effective heel, so with platform the heel should be equally higher) I think any lower the feet/shoes don't look very elegant/sexy. the angle/arch of the foot in a shoe makes them look pretty or not.. However the most arousing/sexy heels are the extreme 6"/15cm+ heels I don't think anything beyond 5.5"/14cm looks elegant anymore as the arch of the foot gets kind of distorted/more than vertical... (but like I said, probably it's even more arousing to see the most extreme heels/angle of the foot:smile: and the wearer kind of struggling to balance in them but still took that challenge to put them on excites me more than if she walks in them as if they were flats..) However I think it always depends on the size of the foot. an eu size 36 would look great already in 3.5"(9cm) and a larger foot of eu 42 or more would definetely need a 4.5"(12cm) minimum to look good in...

What would you consider would be the minimum height for a heel to truly be considered a High Heel? This measurment is the distance from the floor to the highest part of the insole of the shoe (minus any platform, if present) Please keep in mind that this is not necessarily the minimum heel height that you wear personally, and neither should it be the minimum height that you would like to see (on yourself, girlfriend, wife, boyfriend, etc.). The question is intended to establish the point at which a shoe ceases to be an "ordinary" shoe or boot and falls into the category that any manufacturer, advertiser, seller would call a High Heel.

Most shoe manufacturers class 3.5" heels (100mm) and above as 'high'.

So, the answer should be 3.5" MINIMUM height for a high heel.....

I agree with Pussyinboots. However, I have a minimum standard of my own. 4" high heel-no platform for women. 5" high heel-no platform for men. I wouldn't expect anyone to do less than me. When I see this in writing it some how seems self centered. Oh well.

This thread really shows how different our opinions are. We all have our own standards of what constitutes a high heel, but in the end it's entirely subjective. Some of us consider 2-3" high; some 3-4"; others say 4-5". Everyone is different, and we should recognize that; we all need be tolerant, understanding, and respectful of other opinions, too. Otherwise there is risk that threads like this could divide us instead of unite us. I had the privilege of seeing Spikesmike's heel collection, and his LOWEST heel is higher than my HIGHEST heel! I was amazed at how well he handles 5" heels and higher. He saw me try them on, and I could hardly stand in them, much less walk in them. My toes don't bend far enough to be comfortable in shoes with heels that high, at least not for very long. He's a cool guy, and he respected my preference for lower heels, even though he prefers much higher ones for himself. Steve

I agree with Pussyinboots. However, I have a minimum standard of my own. 4" high heel-no platform for women. 5" high heel-no platform for men. I wouldn't expect anyone to do less than me. When I see this in writing it some how seems self centered. Oh well.

Actually I don't think it comes over as self-centred at all...it kind of makes sense, although I LOVE 5" heels! However, yes, MINIMUM height 4" is cool......

BUT on the other hand......

Some of us consider 2-3" high; some 3-4"; others say 4-5". Everyone is different, and we should recognize that; we all need be tolerant, understanding, and respectful of other opinions, too. Otherwise there is risk that threads like this could divide us instead of unite us.

I had the privilege of seeing Spikesmike's heel collection, and his LOWEST heel is higher than my HIGHEST heel! I was amazed at how well he handles 5" heels and higher. He saw me try them on, and I could hardly stand in them, much less walk in them. My toes don't bend far enough to be comfortable in shoes with heels that high, at least not for very long. He's a cool guy, and he respected my preference for lower heels, even though he prefers much higher ones for himself.

Steve

I totally disagree with regard to the context of the original post.

If you actually read the text of the original question - it is very specific. I reproduced it above to avoid mis-interpretation, but it obviously didn't work.

The original question asked - "What is the minimum height for a high heel......to truly be considered a High Heel?

The question also states very clearly -

"Please keep in mind that this is not necessarily the minimum heel height that you wear personally, and neither should it be the minimum height that you would like to see (on yourself, girlfriend, wife, boyfriend, etc.).

The question is intended to establish the point at which a shoe ceases to be an "ordinary" shoe or boot and falls into the category that any manufacturer, advertiser, seller would call a High Heel."

The answer therefore should be specific - not subjective. Hence my post - manufacturers class 100mm (3.5") and above as a high heel.

That is the answer asked for in the original question.

Like some have pointed out this appears to be a discussion with no real consensus. Manufacturers will glean no useful information from this poll but they will notice when WE FORUMERS contact these same manufacturers and/or the stores that sell their products and tell them of our desires for larger sizes and possible design choices. After all, 99% of all high heels are designed by men so why not focus less on what is a high heel for one and not for another and more on sizing and styles?? Direct feedback from us in numbers is what will have the greatest impact be it in email, telephonic, or direct conversations with shoe company reps or sales associates in the retail outlets. What we all want is the maximum number of styles in the widest array of sizes in the most countries possible. That will be HIGH HEEL HEAVEN!! HappyinHeels

Like some have pointed out this appears to be a discussion with no real consensus. Manufacturers will glean no useful information from this poll...

I'm not sure I'd make the same conclusion. With 25% saying 3", 33% saying 4", 19% greater than 3" and less than 4", if all of those would be okay with 3.5", then you're looking at 77% of the respondants. I'd call that a consensus.

On the other hand, if 3.5" is too high for those that voted 3", and too low for those that voted 4", then yeah I'd agree, no consensus. Like the rest of life, it's all about compromise...

I read an article to day that talked about heel's. They said anything over 3" are considered high heels. Just my two cents.

Which is what I've been saying all along. Manufacturers class 3" and higher as high heels.

Which is what I've been saying all along. Manufacturers class 3" and higher as high heels.

Yep - - Almost any catalog online puts 3" and up as 'High Heel'.

I believe even Ellie and Pleaser pretty much follow that rule.

Assuming low is 1"+, medium is 2"+, high is 3"+, the problem is that now a days, there needs to be some standard lablel for higher heels which are fairly common now. I'd probably suggest 'very' high for 4"+, 'ultra' high for 5"+, just to remain somewhat consistent and not get too complicated.

While anyone in their right mind wouldn't classify a heel height less than 2½" I believe I remember my wife explaining to me that low heels were up to 2", medium heels were 2½" high and 3" and higher were high heels. And, the extreme heels were just known for their height....i.e.: 5" heels, 6" heels, etc.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.