Animated GIFs

sscotty727

I found these two animated GIFs incase anyone is looking for a cool avatar (UPDATE: actually, it has been discussed a bit. Please don't use these versions as avatars, scroll down a bit, I have smaller sized version that would work better).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Scotty

I would never sink to the level of using Poser! :roll:

Poser???? I just happened to come across these while surfing the web. I think they are mockups for some online website, not sure. Just thought they looked interesting and others might be interested. I can delete them if they offend.

Scotty

Poser???? I just happened to come across these while surfing the web. I think they are mockups for some online website, not sure. Just thought they looked interesting and others might be interested. I can delete them if they offend.

Scotty

Poser:

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/poser5/

It's a 3d program for those who lazy and don't want to do their own work. Result: lifeless crappy models.

they are, of course too big to be an avator, within hours of somebody using a oversized avator I get complaints.

anybody wanting a cool avator, stick to the guidelines please.

Nigel.

Sheez, never seen so many people complain over what I thought was cool gifs. Fine, they are removed. Sorry for offending. I won't post anything like this again.

Scotty

Sheez, never seen so many people complain over what I thought was cool gifs. Fine, they are removed. Sorry for offending. I won't post anything like this again.

Scotty

Dont be such a grump scotty :evil::D:D:D

Please dont be offended, they are pretty cool, and there is a place for them, it is a great find!

if I didnt say so before, I should have done, thanks for finding them.

The angels have the phonebox.

Dont be such a grump scotty :evil::D:D:D

Please dont be offended, they are pretty cool, and there is a place for them, it is a great find!

if I didnt say so before, I should have done, thanks for finding them.

Ok, sorry for the negative reaction, but with the exception of Mikey's reply, all I got was alot of negative comments about the gifs.

Geez, I found them while surfing the web and thought of all people the people on THIS board would enjoy them. So I was taken back when all I got was negative comments.

As far as an avatar goes:

1) I don't see why they are such a problem. Width wise, they are about the same as mine (which I have never gotten negative feedback on). So not sure what you mean by size, unless somehow the file size is bad, but I don't see that either as a problem.

2) IF size is a problem, then they could be taken and resized and put back together using GIF software.

Oversized avatars waste boardspace, especially with one-line responses. Better to just keep them within bounds. Good suggestion, Scotty, on using software to resize. I think most Gif-enabled software can resize animated gifs.

Oversized avatars waste boardspace, especially with one-line responses.

While I agree with what your saying, the two I posted don't look that much bigger that the avatar you have. Is that slight difference that much of a difference? Is it more because animated gifs slow the screen down?

If someone wishes to resize them and send them to me, I would be more than happy to replace the ones I put in my photobucket.

Scotty

Ask any woman, size matters. You will have to belive me when I say I get complaints, the thing is that the guidelines are there to keep the place lookong tidy. If we all stick to them, hen the place will look better, narrowbanders will have an easier time as well. when the guidelines start to be bent, how far do you go? that is why the guidelines are there. I think we will all put our hands up to seeing some stupid sized pictures. nobody should loose too much sleep over it, I just get a lot of PMs on the subject. Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

Ask any woman, size matters.

You will have to belive me when I say I get complaints, the thing is that the guidelines are there to keep the place lookong tidy. If we all stick to them, hen the place will look better, narrowbanders will have an easier time as well.

when the guidelines start to be bent, how far do you go? that is why the guidelines are there. I think we will all put our hands up to seeing some stupid sized pictures.

nobody should loose too much sleep over it, I just get a lot of PMs on the subject.

Nigel

Nigel,

I wasn't trying to be standoff-ish on this, just trying to understand. The reason is because VISUALLY the width of my avatar and the width of the animated GIF looks about the same. Sure when I put them on top of each other I can see a slight difference. So either the animated GIF is ok OR perhaps my avatar is too wide (which is my real concern since I have no interest in using the animated GIFs I posted or else I would have used it already).

I didn't initially see where the rules for size of the avatar are, but then I saw them under the profile link. I will double check mine and make sure it meets the requirements.

"Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 163 pixels, the height no greater than 110 pixels, and the file size no more than 7 KB."

In the meantime, in interest in clearing the air as well, I found that the resize in Photobucket also works on animated GIFs, so, here are ones that I think you would find less offensive.

Scotty

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey Scotty,

Those are really cool GIF's!! Thanks for posting them here!!

In an effort to clear the air a little, I believe that Trolldeg is not complaining about the GIF's themselves but the software used to make them...Obviously he's not fond of poser's stuff :evil:

I can also understand nigel's position since there are still dial-up users on the WWW...And gif's are actually several images interposed over each other to create the illusion of movement. This results in larger file sizes and slower loading of the page. Also, if one is using an older computer with little memory, they can dog the system down as well. Additionally with GIF's, since they are multiple layers in a single image, the larger the image size the larger the file size. Hence greater memory requirements and slower loading.

If you've ever surfed myspace.com, you will find many pages there where people over-do the animations to the point of total irritation to most viewers. The forum's guidelines are most likely intended to keep this space from becoming that crowded and annoying. The format here is very nice and the vast majority of posters are really cool, following the guidelines pretty well. This is appreciated by me at least :-)

All in all, don't be offended by what's been said. The GIF's are excellent and tasteful. I for one, thank you for posting them!!

Happy Heeling!!

Shoeiee

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

Thanks Shoeiee, I am glad you like them. Point well taken on the GIFs. I was more concerned that maybe mine was over the size limit since visually they look about the same width, but looking at the properties, I saw were mine was just under the limit and the gifs were over the limit. Hopefully the smaller versions take less size and memory and can be used. No harm, no foul, just needed to clear it up was all. Scotty

The biggest offenders are the images that mess up the page formatting which is due to them being too wide. Size seems to be of secondary importance, but most animated gifs will take up more then the 7K of space. height seems to not affect page formatting at all and as long as image width and size are adhered to height would be fine and not cause overly high avatars. Here are the rules for posting avatars: Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 163 pixels, the height no greater than 110 pixels, and the file size no more than 7 KB. My own avatar is 51 X 151 and less than 2K. Its less than a third of the maximum width, but approximately 40 pixels higher than the maxumum. I figured this was a more than fair tradeoff.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.