Stockings and heels

Debbie(HK)

Does anyone else share my love of stockings and heels? They were all the rage in the 50's of course. What's your fav type of shoe with seamed stockings? Did you know that seamed stockings give a slimming effect to the ankle? Why I wonder do they not market them nowadays when all the ladies are wanting to look slimmer? Just a thought... Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought two pairs of original seamed stockings, just out of curriousity. I must say they are quite something special. You have to be very carefull with them though, if you don't have very soft hands you can easily rip them while putting them on or off. Ah well, I guess that's why they are made for women only. :smile:

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Yes I think I would have problems with those FF stockings, not that thet would look good on me or there would be much point me wearing them as I wear trousers. However, I can see the attraction if you wear skirts and are careful. I was facinated reading your site about them, Debbie.

Glad that you like my site Firefox, thanks! I must get around to doing some more for it sometime soon. One tip - when handling stockings, always put on a pair of cotton gloves to prevent damaging the nylons. Stops snagging from nails and jewelley etc. Bodyshop sell some good ones for a reasonable price. Debbie

Re Stockings.. I remember in Paris a few years ago, seeing a well dressed woman wearing a pair of stockings, nothing unusual except the seams ran up the front of her legs! Different, but then at least she could check the seams OK.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Does anyone know why they had the seam in the first place. Was that manufacturing thing or a concsious fashion decison. If the latter, which I suspect, I'm very suprised that seamed or patterned hose aren't more popular in the present day. They will help to make the line more attractive and aesthetically pleasing on women with less than "ideal" legs. Surely that's a laudible aim in in all fashion priniples?

One thing which has struck me recently is the number of women wearing trousers. It seems as though there would be little enough market for tights let alone real stockings. I wonder if the times around the war years and after will ever return, or if the stocking weraring in those times was a unique product of the new technology and social climate prevailing, which is never to be repeated.

Well, while not wishing to get into the debate of the previous two posts, I'd say women wear trousers because they are more practical. Not only do they give greater freedom of movement, but they also are easier to maintain for a smart appearance I would guess. One merely has to put on a clean pair of trousers insead of shaving/tanning legs or buying yet another new pair of hose. Many women have discovered they can still wear smart heeled boots with trousers and look completly stunning. I predict men will poach the boots to a greater or lesser degree in the same way women have acquired the trousers. Anyway, we are all plugging our own line here, but the question is, will stockings and heels ever return bigtime?

I agree that high heel shoes / boots and the 'right' sort of trousers looks good. BUT there are some really dreadful ones being worn EVERYDAY. In my opinion, women should dress like women. Yes I do hope so too Francis. Debbie

women probably wear pants more in the winter than other times. a nice pair of velvet or silk type pants paired up with either high heel boots or just the classic pump is quite nice looking. they are also warmer in the midwest and you don't have the cold wind blowing up your skirt.

patent leather and classic high heel pumps area.

Oh brother!! :smile: Is there a male form Scotland who wears a kilt in this forum? If so, would you like to comment on wearing kilts/skirts? On a lighter note, I would not recommend him wearing a kilt with stockings, hairy legs and high heels. B) <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-02-12 20:33 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Women can look very good in (tight) pants and heels too, just like men can look good in heels, imho.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Trousers and ankle boots or jeans and trainers have become the default fashion for women over the past 15 years or so. I know it's getting away from the stockings that Debbie loves, but I suppose these decisions have been made on the grounds of practicality rather than anything else. I have discussed this with one or two lady friends and the usual comment is it's less effort to wear trousers, not having to shave legs, ladders in tights etc.

Your right, to a degree. Myself, I wear pants, jeans and skirts and HH. Shaving, forget it, I wax (ouch) but the result is much smoother. The only time I wear trainers is in a gym. But I have noticed a lot of people have elected to take the path you described, however in Aust as the weather is a bit warmer there's quite a lot of skirt wearing. Thus the beauty industry probably does quite well out of wax treatments as there is not too many of us out there with hairy legs. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Trousers or not the legs are still shaved!! But I share Debbies sentiment that stockings and a skirt are what a true lady should be wearing (where they can be worn)I always wear at 4 inches with jeans , no sneakers

Don't ask me how I walk in them just try a pair

You shave maybe, but I know girls that don't. Only if they want to wear something special do they go for it, but it's much less hassle like that, not having to keep them shaven all the time for wear with stockings. It's slightly off topic, but I've noticed that women seem much more likely to wear some sort of a heel on boots with trousers. Maybe that's to compensate for the fact they don't have the more feminine look of stockings and a skirt.

Agree with you Firefox about the boots and jeans/pants, but as I said in Oz because of the heat a lot of us wear skirts right through summer. Result: No scope for hairy legs in summer. May'be in winter, however I still get mine waxed. Might be a different in colder climates, where pants could be 'de rigeur' for a greater portion of the year. Inga :smile:

Don't suppose that their husbands like them with hairy legs though, even if they are covering up their legs and wearing trousers in winter :eek: Skirts with stockings are fine for wear in winter though, I don't see the problem. Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

Agree generally on skirt's, I suppose I sometimes wear pants in suits just to add an extra dimension. On the hairy stuff totally agree. I can't speak for others but as I said before I go the whole way with waxing, under arm and bikini line included. Inga :smile:

I think women in business suits look good too. I prefer to see them in in trousers and boots but definitely boots with 4" or so heels rather than the stockings and pumps look. I realise I'm in the minority so far as most men go in this respect so I'll shut up!

Hiya, When it's cold I often wear a pants suit, yeah and with 4 inch heels. Most of my suits are purchased with the three pieces jacket skirt and pant (trouser). Pants actually look quite good on as I have relatively long legs, that's why I wear them. Inga :smile: