cautionary tale

lorriette

Question

yesterday, I wore my clarks sandals, 2.5 heel, 3/4 platform that I've had for about 6 months. Always comfortable, un-noticable with jeans, ideal,I thought, to visit Cardiff and meet an old friend.

On the 2 mile walk to the railway station, a stone dug in my big toe. We walked 3 or 4 miles around town, by which time I noticed my feet getting a little sore under thier balls and outside of the heels. My jeans had also rubbed my inner thigh, and it was with relief I returned to central station and caught the train.

On the walk back from the station, the discomfort was such, that I removed my shoes, luckily some of the route was across fields, only slipping them on to go over gravel.

The caution?, don't assume comfort from shoes used on short trips, or worn all day at home, will let you hike several miles. I have three small blisters, one large blood blister to prove this point.

totter along into history

7 answers to this question

Ouch! Yes, I always wear my new heels for a couple of days each, over the weekend, on my carpeted floors. If they pass the "all weekend" test, their keepers. Any discomfort, I send them back. I send back about 80% of the heels I buy online.

It doesn't have to even be heels.

I wear 4" heels everyday to work and they feel great. I normally wear them with jeans on the weekend as well and never have a problem. However, this weekend since it was HOT, I decided to wear my jean shorts with my new sandals which are not high at all..

Posted Image

By the time I got home, my feet were all tore up and in major pain. They fit right, but somehow the leather must have rubbed my foot the wrong way. Interestingly, I switched into my new clogs (which I wear as slippers around the house) and immediatly felt great!

Posted Image

Scotty

So sorry to hear about your woeful experience. But upon analysis of your story, I think I see the problem. The way I figure it up, you walked approximately 8 to 10 miles in one outing. That's quite a hike, friend. :D No wonder your feet were killing you! :evil: My army training dictates the use of well-worn boots (not even low-quarters would be recommended) with at least one pair of thick socks, and at least one pair of socks in reserve in case the feet get wet. Personally, I would never consider wearing heels on such an outing unless I had merely planned to wear them for a brief period and then switch back to my regular walking shoes for the bulk of the trip. The bottom line here is that you must take care of your feet! You show me a guy whose feet hurt, and I'll show you a guy who hurts all over.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels