Body shape for heels?

The Imperial system of measure is very much akin to the US system. However, there are significant differences as well. I was told of a cook from an American ship that went into a Canadian town with a 5 gal. bucket to buy 5 gallons of milk. He returned with 2 pails and the explanation that the 5 gal. bucket wouldn't hold it all.:rocker:

My problem is that I still can't figure out which is the more correct: the Imperial system or the US system?

You wouldn't expect me to give my vote to anything other than the English measures, would you? I cannot remember the reason for the smaller US liquid measures, but the English system is handy in that 'a pint of water weighs a pound-and-a-quarter' and a pint has 20 fluid ounces (which each therefore weigh one ounce). That said, we've pretty well got used to the metric liquid measures here (1 litre = about 1.75 imperial pints) except when buying beer in the pub, where the pint still prevails (although cans are metric, e.g. 330, 440 or 500ml).

He returned with 2 pails and the explanation that the 5 gal. bucket wouldn't hold it all.:rocker:

My problem is that I still can't figure out which is the more correct: the Imperial system or the US system?

From Google: 1 US gallon = 0.832673844 Imperial gallons

There's your answer!

From Google: 1 US gallon = 0.832673844 Imperial gallons

There's your answer!

Mathematically, yes, dr1819 - but why the difference and what is the relationship between the US and imperial measures? The long decimal suggests something more complex than a simple fractional reduction (to short-change gullible settlers?)

Mathematically, yes, dr1819 - but why the difference and what is the relationship between the US and imperial measures? The long decimal suggests something more complex than a simple fractional reduction (to short-change gullible settlers?)

Ah... I see what you're getting at.

The Wikipedia article on Imperial Unit has the answer. Scroll down to Measures of Volume and see also Current Use of Imperial Units.

You wouldn't expect me to give my vote to anything other than the English measures, would you? I cannot remember the reason for the smaller US liquid measures, but the English system is handy in that 'a pint of water weighs a pound-and-a-quarter' and a pint has 20 fluid ounces (which each therefore weigh one ounce). That said, we've pretty well got used to the metric liquid measures here (1 litre = about 1.75 imperial pints) except when buying beer in the pub, where the pint still prevails (although cans are metric, e.g. 330, 440 or 500ml).

Well, to my mind they're both "English". However, I never realized that the Imperial pint both weighs 20 oz. and is 20 fluid oz. Therefore I must admit that the Imperial system has much going for it. Couple on the scoop on the inch and I can really see something cooking.

For reasons already discussed, I tend to reject the metric system entirely.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Actually, Imperial units have all but fallen by the wayside, particularly since the British adopted the Metric system in 1995. The US system is alive in well, at least in the US. I grew up with the US system (inches, feet, yards, miles, pounds, etc.), vastly prefer the metric system, having initially been exposed to it in the 6th grade and well grounded in it throughout college.

I believe most or all automobiles are now built to the metric system as far as nuts and bolts go. U.S. airplanes, on the other hand, are still inches, pounds, etc. I have worked in both systems and find them both workable. The problem is that I can't visualize things in the metric system, either size or weight, having grown up with the other.

I believe most or all automobiles are now built to the metric system as far as nuts and bolts go. U.S. airplanes, on the other hand, are still inches, pounds, etc.

I have worked in both systems and find them both workable. The problem is that I can't visualize things in the metric system, either size or weight, having grown up with the other.

I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head, BobHH! I have a very good idea of just what is meant by an inch or a foot or a yard. Gills and chains and rods still are a bit of a problem, but knowing they're multiples of the basics makes it easier to deal with. In metric the only thing that even remotely resembles anything I can recognize is the meter, which is about 3 inches longer than a yard. After that, it's all just so many numbers. I do know that 100 kmh is roughly equal to 60 mph, but even that leaves something to be desired. If my car is doing 60 mph I know I'm covering 88 ft. per sec. or 1 mile a minute. I can't relate to that in metric. As for cm and liters and all that, it's almost meaningless.

Thank God, it would simply cost too much to convert American aircraft factories to metric. In that manner, most of the aircraft around the world still have some commonality I can relate to.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Getting back to topic... I think thin works better with stilletos, and thicker with chunkier heels. However, I've seen a few pics of men here who are beefy (muscles), although not fat, and with the right outfit, they looked fine in a pair of 4" pumps. I think the color and style coordination is more important than one's body type, as I've seen both skinny and overweight girls look both good and terrible in all types of heels.

Well now, I say if the shoe fits and you like it, wear it! I'm a body builder and wear a 9 in womens and have everything from thigh high plats to about 100 other styles ranging from 3-7in heels from thin to thick heels. I like em all.So what I guess I'm trying to say is it don't matter what body type you have and it isn't about if you like skinny or thick women but if you like wearing heels, then just do it. Thats just me.

real men wear heels

• 2 months later...

...So what I guess I'm trying to say is it don't matter what body type you have and it isn't about if you like skinny or thick women but if you like wearing heels, then just do it. Thats just me.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head, Johnieheel. I prefer wedgies with a platform, but that's just because I find them more comfortable. But I definitely think it's really about how one carries it off. If you can't carry it off well, you don't need to be in heels.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 2 months later...

...Not all men want thin women, some of us don't want to have to search for the curves in the feminine form.

At church last Sunday I noticed quite a few of the ladies wearing heels. They, of course, had a huge variety of sizes and shapes. One young woman, who had on a beautiful pair of gold slippers, also happened to be somewhat on the plump side. My only objection was that her long pants concealed entirely too much of her beautiful stilettoes.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I think stilettos look much better on a thinnish frame. I'ts a simple question of aesthetics. Balancing a large object on a small one looks inherently unstable. It's not to say larger people can't wear them but... I think were talking about majority perceptions of what looks good and what doesn't.

• 2 months later...

Size does not matter. Some of the sexiest women on the planet are those with a fuller figure. Heels can make just about anyone sexy, period. It's all about freedom of choice & feeling good about yr'self. Never let anyone else tell you what or how to do it.

I think our ideas of what's acceptable have been totally driven by media. Screw the media! If you feel good about what you're doing, and you're causing no harm to yourself, others in society, or society in general, do it.

• 2 months later...

It's true in that thin heels look better on a thin body. Aesthetically speaking, a large object balanced on a small one looks unstable. So if you have a larger body, you have the choice of wearing thicker heels or saying to hell with aesthetics, I'll just wear stilettos.

It's true in that thin heels look better on a thin body. Aesthetically speaking, a large object balanced on a small one looks unstable.

So if you have a larger body, you have the choice of wearing thicker heels or saying to hell with aesthetics, I'll just wear stilettos.

That's right. I don't think that I could pull off stillettos [esp. thin ones] without making my body appear slimmer by wearing a corset or a long coat.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Loveshiheels

It shouldn't matter if you are small tall fat or thin male of female, if you want to wear heels then do.

It shouldn't matter if you are small tall fat or thin male of female, if you want to wear heels then do.

Agreed. I'm an average-sized boy (maybe a little skinny), and I find myself looking very well in any type of heels, even pointy-toes. But, I at least need a good pair of jeans to go over it, just to feel better :smile:

Formally "HHDude"

Agreed it doesn't matter, but taking it from the point of view of what looks pleasing, a woman with huge thighs and cellulite wouldn't want to emphasise them with mini skirts. Heels and body shape a similar to some degree.

• 3 months later...

Personally, I dont think body shape should determine heel wearing, though I am sure that people will always have their own preferences - mine being curvy. However, I have to say - if you can walk properly and convincingly in heels, then thats more important!

• 1 month later...

I love seeing the female super models in skyscraper heels walking the runway. But the sight of a nicely groomed, well dressed, heavy set woman in high heels is also a pretty sight, in my opinion. That goes for men, too. The sleek figured man who can wear ANYTHING in clothing and wears high heels might be seen as chic. But a well dressed, well groomed man, not so tall and not so thin in high heels is also very charming, in my eyes.Thin or large, short or tall, high heels are definitely for everyone. So enjoy!;)

That's right. I don't think that I could pull off stillettos [esp. thin ones] without making my body appear slimmer by wearing a corset or a long coat.

Could it be that I like my women unbalanced? ;<) I see many larger women wearing thin heels and the majority look quite good in them. Of course there are extremes and exceptions. There is one lady I know who attracts a lot of attention not so much because she wears thin heels but because she gets her shoes too small and too narrow. The strange part of it is that even though you notice her shoes are too small she still manages to bring off a sexy look. It may be her attitude more than anything else.

Hello again, I just got off the phone to a friend, and we were talking about shoes..he's a cross dressing guy, and was talking about what shoes he likes to wear etc. and then he proceeded to say that you have to have a certain body type for heels,he said, andi quote ''thin and spindly'' is the only right body shape for heels. I have never heard of this before, or thought anything of body shape in relation to heels. Do any of you think there is any truth in this at all?

This thread has become very enlightening. After all the measurements, perspectives, opinions, and experiences each person can only choose from their own personality and physical aesthetics the look that best suits them. Not everyone has the knowledge to coordinate their appearance, but that may be a good thing, because we can discern a better or more appropriate style for ourselves. We men haven't really had to coordinate an extensive wardrobe like most every women has learned to deal with. I welcome the challenge and hopefully the more experienced ones will help those of us who are lacking in this area. Be critical of my physical persentation, but admire the achievement I have portrayed. My desire to wear "heels" is a "personally me" thing. The other benefits of wearing them are wonderful to experience, but even without the extras, stilettoes will always be in my choice of desired footwear. My shape may not be pleasing to everyone, but I am the one who has to look in the mirror and determine what looks best by who I am.