Body shape for heels?

Hello again, I just got off the phone to a friend, and we were talking about shoes..he's a cross dressing guy, and was talking about what shoes he likes to wear etc. and then he proceeded to say that you have to have a certain body type for heels,he said, andi quote ''thin and spindly'' is the only right body shape for heels. I have never heard of this before, or thought anything of body shape in relation to heels. Do any of you think there is any truth in this at all?

The phase "thin and spindly" almost makes it sound like one has to be anorexic to wear heels, which is total hogwash. I will agree that stilettos look best on a person who is fit and slim, but it's no big secret that a person dressed properly can look slim even if they really aren't (within reason). I would say it's all about the whole package and how one presents themselves. I would say that for anyone overweight who dresses like a slob would probably be regarded as a joke if they wore heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

The phase "thin and spindly" almost makes it sound like one has to be anorexic to wear heels, which is total hogwash. I will agree that stilettos look best on a person who is fit and slim, but it's no big secret that a person dressed properly can look slim even if they really aren't (within reason). I would say it's all about the whole package and how one presents themselves. I would say that for anyone overweight who dresses like a slob would probably be regarded as a joke if they wore heels.

Ditto! :x

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Werd^^^

However this rule better applies to men who wear heels as men, a beer belly does not project an immige very well.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

So in conclusion its just a matter of opinion? I guess most people prefer skinny people in general anyway, whether they're wearing heels or not.

That's the bottom line, but don't let it stop you from wearing heels.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

No matter your figure, if the shoes are comfortable, wear them and they will compliment your appearance. Not all men want thin women, some of us don't want to have to search for the curves in the feminine form.

There are so many different types of heels out there, it's totally possible to find a pair that you not only like, but also complement your appearance. It's all how you put it all together that makes the statement.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Consider your friend was giving you his opinion so for him what he said is right. There are other people, like me, who think differently. It doesn't matter what shape or size you are, if the shoe has a heel and it fits you comfortably you are going to look better. If it doesn't fit, the discomfort is going to show on your face and in every step you take and you will NOT look attractive.

I'm definately not into pain, either. Although I don't shop in the stores (few, except Nordstroms, ever carry my size), I enjoy Zappos, as they carry many shoes in larger sizes and have a one year return policy. What I would like to see is some standardization among clothing manufacturers, for they're still using their own proprietary sizes. For example, I have one skirt that's one size from one company. It's too small. I have another, nearly identical skirt from another company that's a size smaller, yet it's too big (I have to wear it with a belt, and even then it could lose 2 inches. Same thing's true for heels.

I think curvier people look good in heels. By curvy, I don't mean obese or melty-beast, though high heels kind of have an aesthetic associated with them. It'd be out of place for someone [male or female] and of any body type to be wearing an old t-shirt, gym shorts, and a just-got-out-of-bed hairstyle with heels, it would still look dumpy no matter how nice the heels are.

I think curvier people look good in heels. By curvy, I don't mean obese or melty-beast, though high heels kind of have an aesthetic associated with them. It'd be out of place for someone [male or female] and of any body type to be wearing an old t-shirt, gym shorts, and a just-got-out-of-bed hairstyle with heels, it would still look dumpy no matter how nice the heels are.

What about 4 inch cowboy boots on a man in jeans?

Agreed that tastefulness applies to all clothing, not just the heels themselves.

Unfortunately there is a grain of truth in this, though like all these things one has to be sensible about it. Basically it’s to do with the weight. Taking myself as an example, I weigh 60kg (about 9 ½ stone) (Reminder to self – must loose some weight! :roll: ); so with my heels - my toes/front of foot support this weight, even with correctly fitted shoes that is quite a lot of pressure on my skin/foot – never the less still OK and comfortable. :lol: Now take someone 120kg (19 stone) – again even with correctly fitted shoes it’s about twice as much pressure on skin/feet! – In this case very unlikely to be comfortable. :oops: I have a few friends (no don’t laugh – I do! :cry: ) who are “generously plump” and I know from experience they cannot wear high heels for any length of time, and in general they have more issues with corns etc with any shoe. :oops: Never the less – if your shoe size/weight/heel height combination is comfortable then go ahead – you haven’t got a problem! :) BUT - this isn't to say that one has to be spindle-thin to wear heels - this is not the case for me - now for that diet....... BB :wink:

I've found that the chunky heel platforms are my favorites, since to me they're more stable, and until I lose a LOT more weight, I don't think I can do the higher heels for any length of time. In the meantime it's just co-ordinate what you like with the rest of the outfit........and ENJOY!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 3 months later...

I'm definately not into pain, either. Although I don't shop in the stores (few, except Nordstroms, ever carry my size), I enjoy Zappos, as they carry many shoes in larger sizes and have a one year return policy.

What I would like to see is some standardization among clothing manufacturers, for they're still using their own proprietary sizes. For example, I have one skirt that's one size from one company. It's too small. I have another, nearly identical skirt from another company that's a size smaller, yet it's too big (I have to wear it with a belt, and even then it could lose 2 inches.

Same thing's true for heels.

You might find the following useful.

"Give them an inch and they'll take a yard," as the old saying goes - or is it a mile? In any case, the plain and simple fact is that few things are in greater disarray in this world than man's systems of measures.

Every school child in America has heard the story of how Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked over a lantern and burned down Chicago. While we are still unable to confirm the origin of that fire (I personally suspect arson), it was probably the biggest fire this country had seen prior to the 20th century. But on February 7, 1904, most of the city of Baltimore burned down in a really spectacular blaze that should have Sparky making his permanent headquarters there. It seems that a carelessly discarded cigarette started that fire that burned for two full days and wiped out most of the downtown business district of Baltimore.

Oddly enough, they actually had plenty of fire fighting equipment arriving from surrounding cities, but they were unable to hook up their hoses to Baltimore's fire hydrants. You see, there were no standard sized fire hydrants or hose couplings in those days. So what worked fine in Philadelphia or Washington, D.C. would fit nothing in Baltimore.

And this is not the only example either. The stories are legion of railroad cars that couldn't change tracks, bolts and screws that wouldn't fit, even bolts of cloth that are not the same length. So on and on it goes; there is almost no agreement on sizes and measures today that is universally accepted.

Even here in America there is no consistency in the size of, say clothing. For example, I wear a size 8 1/2 shoe while my wife wears a 7 1/2 - just one size smaller than mine, right? WRONG! You see, I wear a man's shoe size, which would translate into a size 10 in a woman's shoe. Or vice-versa, my wife could wear a size 5 1/2 in say, a man's boot. But since they do not usually make a man's boot in a size 5 1/2, my wife would have to either: buy a size 6 in a man's boot and then wear two or three pairs of socks; buy something that would fit her in a boy's size; or else do without.

So what's to say or do? Well clearly, things would be much simpler if we had only one universal standard of measure that everyone could accept and rely upon. The main problem is that no such standard exists today. After thousands of years of struggle with the problem, there is still no single unit of measure that all men can agree upon as a universal standard of measure.

By 1790 the French had devised a system that we now call the Metric system. It is based on the distance from the North Pole to the equator along a meridian that passes through Paris; along with a decimal system of division of the various units of measure. While this system provides many advantages and has slowly been adopted by many nations around the world; there are inaccuracies that leave irksome problems for neatniks like me.

Moreover, events have subsequently proved that the very basis for the metric system is in error. The much touted meter is NOT, in fact, 1/10,000,000 part of a given arc of the earth's perimeter and so, since 1960, the French have settled for a given number of wavelengths of the Krypton-86 isotope under certain specified conditions. Thus the whole metric system collapses on the scrap heap of history as just one more of man's misguided efforts to deal with his world.

However, there are some few nations around that tenaciously cling to an ancient and archaic system that seems to defy explanation. The English-speaking peoples of the world today adamantly cling to the "unscientific" inch system.

Is it not interesting that it was the French who developed the metric system, and it was also the French who were the first to enter the Great Pyramid in modern times? Yet is was precisely because they arrived with their meter stick in hand that they were unable to decipher the message of this marvel in stone. They did not have the right key, as it were.

Yet it is the inch - that poor maligned unit of measure that has endured the hammer blows of men for millennia - that is the unique key that unlocks the mystery of the Great Pyramid and irrevocably ties the English-speaking peoples to their common heritage in EGYPT!!! Because the inch - that lowly little measure that Englishmen refuse to give up - just happens to be precisely 1/500,000,000 the distance from the North Pole through the center of the earth to the South Pole!

Well - almost precisely. You see, the designer of the Great Pyramid figured the earth's polar diameter as being 7899.31 miles. That puts the Pyramid inch just a hairline off from our modern inch. A Pyramid inch is equal to 1.0011 of our modern inch; and who's to say that the English-speaking peoples have not had a tiny fraction shaved off of some standard of measure over the centuries? Even today our satellites tell us that the earth's diameter is 7899.8 miles. Perhaps we've had some ice accumulation at the poles over the years; I certainly would not care to say that the ancients were in error.

In his book "Miracle of the Ages", Mr. Worth Smith has this to say about the matter:

"But now there is no doubt that the little projection was placed there to indicate the Great Pyramid's standard unit of measurement, the Pyramid inch, also to portray the correct length of the Ancient Sacred Hebrew Cubit, which is 25 (5 X 5) Pyramid inches, as differentiated from the Egyptian Cubit of 20.63 British [modern] Inches, as well as from the Greek and Roman Cubit of 18.24 British inches. The Pyramid inch varies from our common everyday inch (the British inch) by only 11/10000ths parts, the latter being at fault by that quantity and being the shorter by the minute fraction of an inch shown here. ...The Pyramid inch, incidentally, is exactly 1/500 millionth part of the polar diameter of the earth...

Professor Piazzi Smyth maintained, and doubtless rightly so, that the Pyramid inch was derived from the earth's axis, or semi-axis, of rotation, the distance through the earth from pole to pole. In British Statute figures this is slightly more than 7899.3 miles, ... or 20,000 cubits, using the standards of the Pyramid inch and the Pyramid...cubit. It is thus seen, too, that the Pyramid inch is the only absolutely TRUE standard of measurement the world has ever known! This results from its being an even fractional part of the earth's polar axis of rotation, which is a straight line, running as it does directly through the earth from pole to pole rather than around the earth. ...thus the metric system is NOT a true standard. (Worth Smith, Miracle of the Ages, pgs. 75 & 76, emphasis mine)

Now, if you take that ancient polar diameter of 7899.31 miles and divide it into twenty million parts, you will have a 25 inch Pyramid cubit that exactly matches a cubit or "rod" that is used as a standard of measure in both of the books of Ezekiel and of Revelation in the Bible! This same measure is employed throughout the Great Pyramid with stunning regularity and amazing revelation. "No wonder the great French astronomer, the Abbe' Moreaux once said: The British are correct in keeping their inch rather than joining the metric system." (Tom Valentine, THE GREAT PYRAMID: Man's Monument to Man, pg. 62)

I will digress here for just a moment to bring out something that I hope to make abundantly clear later on. That is the fact that each and every nation and kindred peoples have certain identifying characteristics. These things are the hallmarks, as it were, that identify those people in a unique way regardless of how much things might change over the years. I think I can say without too much qualification that the weights and measures employed by a people or nation could be such an identifying mark of that people. Especially if they have adamantly refused to change that particular thing regardless of the amount of outside pressure brought to bear. This certainly would seem to be the case of the English-speaking peoples of the world in respect to the inch. There is evidence that the Anglo-Saxon, English-speaking peoples of the world today are in fact the descendants of the ancient Israelites of the Bible. The fact that the inch is now traceable all the way back to the Great Pyramid is further proof that it comes from a very ancient culture, indeed. While I do not intend to get into the matter here, it can be demonstrated that most of the weights and measures employed by the English-speaking peoples of the world today can be found incorporated in the Great Pyramid.

Today there is a growing movement to take America off the inch system and adopt the metric system. Because of some very poor decisions that were made by American politicians and American manufacturers (chief of which was the automobile industry); the pressures to change are now enormous. While I see the arguments in favor of change; I, for one, believe that this would be a mistake.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

You might find the following useful.

Yes, it would certainly be nice if the fashion industry were the adopt the metric system, in centimeters, for pretty much everything, as this is what the world has gone to. For shoes it would the tenth's of centimeters.

Guy N Heels... OK...I've GOT to ask...What is your profession? Judging by the dissertation on the various measurement systems employed throughout the world I would have to guess either mathematician or physicist. Regardless, you failed to mention the one 'bastard system' that auto buffs occasionally experience...The Newton system. This is a whole new can of worms in which neither metric or inch systems directly correspond. As for the inch vs. metric system, imagine being a machinist who has to deal in thousandths of both inches and mm...One mis-read of a drawing can scrap the whole project!! Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

It occurs to me that my country has done nothing but prolong the agony when it comes to standard units of measure. Officially we are metric but that really only applies if you are dealing directly with the government. All shade-tree mechanics have two sets of tools -- one inch and the other metric. Most of our cars use both types of fasteners -- so the ony real effect is we make twice as many trips to the toolbox!

I don't see an end to this madness anytime soon, either.

Go to Sears, by a set of Metric tools for less than $200, buy and read the $35 Chilton's for your vehicle, and learn to enjoy the momemt!

Amd be kind with respect to yur family, other than the fact that American's arrive to late, depending they think it's the money.

Have a happy time!

Yes, and I can show you how, using the Masonic system of organization the year our nation was founded is actually 666.

I'm not kidding if you don't believe me - PM me and I'll show you the three steps it takes to translate the numbers.

But hey, Guy N. Heels, this is a message forum about heels, not the end times. If you want to discuss the end times, I really would be happy to share that with you.

In the meantime, please refrain from verbose politics such as your message here.

Thanks!

Guy N Heels...

OK...I've GOT to ask...What is your profession?

Judging by the dissertation on the various measurement systems employed throughout the world I would have to guess either mathematician or physicist.

Happy Heeling!

Shoeiee

FYI, US Engineers have been taught and have been using the International System of Units since the late 1970's. While some manufactures (mainly the automotive industry) have held steadfastly to US units, most other industries in the US have adopted metric for every screw, nut and bolt.

An interesting discussion above about metrication (or lack of it) in the US. In the UK, the general perception is that the US adheres faithfully to imperial weights and measures (including, naturally, its own bastard pint, quart and gallon!), if only because the cost of change would be prohibitive. (No doubt the same applies to the continuing US use of 110V as the standard domestic mains voltage, requiring cables twice as heavy as in the UK for the same current and hampering the effective use of electric kettles etc.) As someone brought up firmly within 'imperial England', I am totally at ease with and prefer to use that system and think/build in feet and inches. But I can and do use metric measurements when necessary or more convenient, especially for precision work. (Anyone who has built a model railway will be used to the mixture required when working in H0 (3.5mm:1ft) or British 00 (4mm:1ft) or most other common scales.) What did surprise me, however, was the situation in Canada when I visited last summer. Officially a metric country (distances in km, gas bought in litres etc), the situation in relation to engineering and building seems still to be largely imperial. For example, copper pipe for domestic plumbing is still 0.5" and 0.75" (changed to 15mm/22mm in the UK in early 70s) and Home Depot and similar stores sell nuts and bolts with imperial (US) threads alongside metric - but timber (sorry - lumber) is all now metric. I was told, more than once, that Canada cannot go fully metric because of the US influence - in that products of US manufacture predominate and older cars etc will still have mainly imperial screw threads. In the UK, our traditional mile, pint of beer or milk and other everday measures are constantly under review, thanks to the EU rather than the US. There have been a number of prosecutions of people selling fruit/vegetables by the pound rather than by the kilo, even though most customers would prefer the imperial measurements.

Guy N Heels...

OK...I've GOT to ask...What is your profession?

Judging by the dissertation on the various measurement systems employed throughout the world I would have to guess either mathematician or physicist.

As for the inch vs. metric system, imagine being a machinist who has to deal in thousandths of both inches and mm...One mis-read of a drawing can scrap the whole project!!

Happy Heeling!

Shoeiee

Actually, I was an electronics engineering technician who was forced to turn writer because of a medical disability. However, the piece I posted was a minor excerpt from a paper I once wrote on the Great Pyramid. I like to say that I had the Pyramid to fall on me and it only took me 20 years to dig my way out.

As for that bastard system, yer right. But then we're rather back to the great fire in Baltimore, aren't we?

Yes, and I can show you how, using the Masonic system of organization the year our nation was founded is actually 666.

I'm not kidding if you don't believe me - PM me and I'll show you the three steps it takes to translate the numbers.

But hey, Guy N. Heels, this is a message forum about heels, not the end times. If you want to discuss the end times, I really would be happy to share that with you.

In the meantime, please refrain from verbose politics such as your message here.

Thanks!

I quite agree. However, since you were lamenting the chaos in the systems of measurement I thought I'd try and present another perspective. In actual fact, the excerpt I posted wasn't even the entire chapter of the paper.

An interesting discussion above about metrication (or lack of it) in the US. In the UK, the general perception is that the US adheres faithfully to imperial weights and measures (including, naturally, its own bastard pint, quart and gallon!), if only because the cost of change would be prohibitive. (No doubt the same applies to the continuing US use of 110V as the standard domestic mains voltage, requiring cables twice as heavy as in the UK for the same current and hampering the effective use of electric kettles etc.)

As someone brought up firmly within 'imperial England', I am totally at ease with and prefer to use that system and think/build in feet and inches. But I can and do use metric measurements when necessary or more convenient, especially for precision work. (Anyone who has built a model railway will be used to the mixture required when working in H0 (3.5mm:1ft) or British 00 (4mm:1ft) or most other common scales.)

What did surprise me, however, was the situation in Canada when I visited last summer. Officially a metric country (distances in km, gas bought in litres etc), the situation in relation to engineering and building seems still to be largely imperial. For example, copper pipe for domestic plumbing is still 0.5" and 0.75" (changed to 15mm/22mm in the UK in early 70s) and Home Depot and similar stores sell nuts and bolts with imperial (US) threads alongside metric - but timber (sorry - lumber) is all now metric. I was told, more than once, that Canada cannot go fully metric because of the US influence - in that products of US manufacture predominate and older cars etc will still have mainly imperial screw threads.

In the UK, our traditional mile, pint of beer or milk and other everday measures are constantly under review, thanks to the EU rather than the US. There have been a number of prosecutions of people selling fruit/vegetables by the pound rather than by the kilo, even though most customers would prefer the imperial measurements.

The Imperial system of measure is very much akin to the US system. However, there are significant differences as well. I was told of a cook from an American ship that went into a Canadian town with a 5 gal. bucket to buy 5 gallons of milk. He returned with 2 pails and the explanation that the 5 gal. bucket wouldn't hold it all.:rocker:

My problem is that I still can't figure out which is the more correct: the Imperial system or the US system?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels