Toe strap too wide!

Hi, I have real problems when buying high heels as I have a long but very narrow style of foot. This means I am yet to find a pair of heels that fit because if I buy for the width the length is too long, and if I buy for the length the width is too big! However, as I have several nice sandals (which fit in length, but the toe straps are too wide), rather than abandoning them, I wish to try and adjust them myself. The straps are all leather, and I can achieve a near perfect fit by pulling the straps to an edge and taping the little subsequent buckle, in the leather, down. However this isn't very pretty! What I would love to be able to do is cut a section of the straps away, and stick the straps back down so they fit. Can anyone give me any advice (or point me towards a guide) that helps me achieve such a task? Thanks

The only way to do this properly would be to stitch a piece of webbing inside , otherwise the joint will be too weak. First cut the webbing so that it fits snuggly around your toes where the strap would come then cut out the section out of the leather to make the strap shorter (do this on the inside of the foot so it won't show too much), allowing for the thickness of the webbing. Run the webbing all the way round so that it meets under your toes, glue it to the inside of the strap with a little sticking out at the edges and also glue it to the insole (you may want to peel away the insock first). Next run a row of stitches around the edges of the strap; this will be easier if there's already stitches there. Lastly trim off the excess from the edges of the strap using a pair of curved cuticle scissors. Hope this helps...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.