Exclamation Points!!!

How do you feel when others put exclamation points after topic headings?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel when others put exclamation points after topic headings?

• Great! The more the merrier!!!
    • Horrible - leave 'em out unless it's better than sliced bread.
    • !Use more ! of them !! and place ! them !!! ever!y!wh!ere!!!
    • Don't care either way.
    • Huh? What?

I don't mind as long as there's only one. Multiple exclamation marks are the sign of a diseased mind. One thing that does annoy me no end is When People Captalise Every Word In A Sentence. I have no idea what drives people to that particular act of madness, but I've seen it in a few places. Don't even get me started on apostrophes... Chris

doesnt sound like a very good strategy to encourage participation to me. i suppose we would have to ban italians because they talk with there hands,or japanese because they sound like they are coughing all time...i think u get my drift...everyone has their own style,like wearing boots,etc

In some countries like Scandinavian countries exclaimation points are less important and are used like full stops. In the UK (and most English speaking countries) they are only for use to end exclaimations- and this is mostly in dialogue. The only time that they should be used in text is when the author is writing conversationally. I must put my hands up and say that I'm as guilty as the next person for overusing them!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Ever notice how some thread titles contain exclamation points like it's the best thing since sliced bread, but when you go there you find it's just another thread, much like the rest?

I voted for ignoring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best fashion is your own fashion!

For goodness sake - this is an internet forum. If you put them in a report I'd comissioned, or used verbose waffling English in something I was paying public money for, I'd have something to say, but this forum is something that people do in their spare time for their own enjoyment. The standard of English sometimes isn't up to much often - who cares - what's important is that people participate and express themselves - and have something sensible to say!!!

I think that in general the standard of English in this country is in decline. Possibly due to children not being encouraged to read for pleasure, possibly due to teachers not penalising poor spelling and punctuation like they used to. Either way, it can't be a good thing. Chris

• 8 months later...

I don't care too much. I think I'd call them exclamation marks too; like question marks. It's all to do with personal expression I suppose. If you have 20 of them it could get a bit irritating but 3 or 4 is OK I suppose.

Personally I don't think there's enough of them!!!!!!!! Whenever I see an Ebay listing with loads of exclamation marks I know that the thing on sale is really worth having!!!!! Also I know that the seller is really honest and isn't trying to rip you off!!!!!! It's the same with threads, you know you're in for a good read when you see all those exclamation marks!!!!!!! It's going to be an even better read if they put "wooohooo!!!!" on it too!!!!!!!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Personally I don't think there's enough of them!!!!!!!!

Whenever I see an Ebay listing with loads of exclamation marks I know that the thing on sale is really worth having!!!!! Also I know that the seller is really honest and isn't trying to rip you off!!!!!!

I think it is all Ebay's fault. Besides a question mark is a more philosophical way to go...

Style is built from the ground up!

Don't get me started on Ebay listings!

I hate the way they go "L@@K!!!" I mean what does L-at-at-k actually mean?!

And the way they put TV/Gay at the end as if it would never occur the average transvestite or drag queen to take a closer look at a pair of size 14 boots! I don't look er sorry, I mean l@@k, on principle!

Why do they put "not Gucci, not prada, not Jimmy Choo," etc. I know that someone searching for Gucci or Prada or JC will turn up these items but if they wanted something that was not one of these labels why would they be searching them and if they did want these labels why are these STUPID people asking them to waste their time!?

Another thing I hate is people who use numbers instead of words. They write things like "2morrow", I mean how long does it take to type an extra letter for goodness sakes?!

Another thing I hate is people who use numbers instead of words. They write things like "2morrow", I mean how long does it take to type an extra letter for goodness sakes?!

I no just wh@ u mean. Y cant sum peple appreci8 the English langwige? ;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 months later...

Dr. I think that's a sign of old age!!!!!!